PDA

View Full Version : "General" section of forum.

loganbiffy
08-Jul-09, 13:53
Is it just me or is there nothing but complaints in this section?
I have lived in Caithness for a long time but if I was an outsider looking to move to Caithness and having this website as an idea of what the local community is like then I would be quite worried about moving here.

There is rarely anything happy going on in this general section, it's all complaining and moaning!!
I quite believe Caithness to be a friendly place but outsiders wouldn't think it by looking at this section!

weeboyagee
08-Jul-09, 14:08
from the Hunter threadBit disappointed there are, yet again, few positive comments on here about it. Give everyone a moan to share and the thread will run for pages, give them something to cheer about and it seems to be treated somewhat with a greater element of disinterest - I just can't grasp this in our local community - I really can't.

Look at the letters page of the Groat today and the upholding of the community portrayed in the majority of them - why can't this community grasp the goodness of what they have with both hands and really promote with the same vigour as they are prepared to employ in their feasting on the negative.
Also in another thread about the Harbour Fest I wrote EXACTLY what you have stated here about the threads list on the .org being viewed by outsiders.

Unfortunately - you will not change the way Caithness looks, I'm convinced the folk like it to look that way - odd I know, but as I said, I just can't grasp the inward looking vision. Pointless and deserved of everything it gets. And that's not negative, that's factual - just read the thread material and titles!!!! It's true!

WBG :cool:

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 14:08
I look at the boards and see lots of good advice and support between members. Yes, there will be complaints and moans but that is natural in a society surely? It is better to vocalise worries and concerns that can be addressed and solved.
You only have to look at people asking for help to see how quickly the community rallys round. There aren't many places like that in the UK

loganbiffy
08-Jul-09, 14:13
I look at the boards and see lots of good advice and support between members. Yes, there will be complaints and moans but that is natural in a society surely? It is better to vocalise worries and concerns that can be addressed and solved.
You only have to look at people asking for help to see how quickly the community rallys round. There aren't many places like that in the UK

It is natural to have complaints and moans, it just baffles me at how trivial around 90% of the compaints and moans are.

It's like people go out of their way to complain about the slightest little thing.
Caithness is a friendly place, I know that, it just doesn't seem like it from this section of the fourm lol.

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 14:15
Most of our lives are concerned with trivia :lol:. It is the little things that can be the most trying.....sighs.....[evil]

loganbiffy
08-Jul-09, 14:19
Most of our lives are concerned with trivia

Haha, I like how you speak for all the members of the forum lol.
I guess I'm just saying I don't let trivial stuff get to me, I don't see the point. :)

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 14:24
I'm not talking for the members of the forum, I'm talking about life. Our daily lives are full of what I call trivia as opposed to world poverty, peace, finance etc.
If you aren't bothered about trivial matters then why are you complaining about others complaining :Razz

loganbiffy
08-Jul-09, 14:42
why are you complaining

I ain't making a complaint, I was making an observation and asking if other members thought the same thing :lol:

Connor.
08-Jul-09, 14:59
I agree Logan, most of the time it turns into a debate/argument. Even over the most tedious things like someones opinion.

It's not the most appetising thing to see within a community, but these keyboard warriors cannot be stopped. As you said, Caithness is nice although it may not always seem like it.

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 15:45
Surely debates are a good thing? Sometimes grousing about the little annoying things in life helps us to cope with the bigger things. It's when it degenerates into personal attacks that it becomes unpleasant. Bashing the keyboards is better than bashing a person :lol:

mrjolly
08-Jul-09, 16:44
i like to look at all the good things and posidive things on the org' and to live and let live. caithness is a great county the best. ive been in many others but could not wait to get back to caithness:Razz

Margaret M.
08-Jul-09, 16:56
Complaining about the complainers -- is there a difference?

Nvidi4
08-Jul-09, 17:17
Is it just me or is there nothing but complaints in this section?
I have lived in Caithness for a long time but if I was an outsider looking to move to Caithness and having this website as an idea of what the local community is like then I would be quite worried about moving here.

There is rarely anything happy going on in this general section, it's all complaining and moaning!!
I quite believe Caithness to be a friendly place but outsiders wouldn't think it by looking at this section!

Could be that's why they are all complaining :Razz to stop anyone who's thinking of moving here from moving......there's method in their madness! [lol]

As for trivia who needs it.........there's plenty misery going on in the world without mumping and moaning about every little thing .....rise above it, it really doesn't matter as much as you think it does! Some love to moan and gurn, they thrive on the negativity as do others, get of your bums and do something positive, when you keep yourself busy the trivial little things dissappear as if by magic! :Razz

PantsMAN
08-Jul-09, 20:06
Complaining about the complainers -- is there a difference?

Loganbiffy wasn't complaining; he/she was expressing concern about the impression these hallowed threads can give people living outwith the county.

Given that frequently, threads are gripes about - jet skis, neighbours, stupid folks, Reiss beach, piggin (sic) shooters, - his/her concern is justifiable and understandable.

porshiepoo
08-Jul-09, 20:11
All in all I think the forum is quite balanced with positive and negative comments etc.
However, I believe that we are more drawn to and remember the most, the threads that end up in a slanging match or the ones that appear to be a moaning thread (I've done them too).

Alot of the time threads that were started in a neutral tone often result in arguments simply because people have differing opinions and trying to put those opinions across on a forum is alot harder than in person.

No matter what, this forum is a fantastic opportunity to put all thoughts, opinions and beliefs across and discuss them with people that do and/or don't agree with them.
Caithness is extremely lucky to have this facility, I think there are many people on here who perhaps don't realise exactly just how lucky.

lister
08-Jul-09, 21:08
Have a rant,have a rave, its good for the soul.
Its life as we know it Jim!
Better out than in i always say,or maybe ats a different quote? same meaning though:lol:

Anne x
08-Jul-09, 23:57
The threads and posts have changed in the general forum a lot since I became a member and not for the better
a lot of the people I loved posting have gone
Angela, Percy, Torvaig , Trinkie , Helen Whyler Trix even Moira and Highlander not posting so much the list is endless please forgive me if I missed you out not intentional why do you you think that is ? but they are a loss

Fstevens
09-Jul-09, 07:57
I have found most people lovely here in Caithness, but I have to agree that moans for simple things. I posted a serious thing on dogs in hot weather in cars, and I was pulled to bits, because I put it in the wrong section.
So I wont pass any advice or answer anymore "What so you think"

Not a moan a fact.

oldmarine
09-Jul-09, 08:10
For the most part the forum is a friendly place where various posters enjoy throwing a few barbs at others. There have been times when a poster may get personal with insults directed at an individual. When it gets too bad the guilty poster gets a warning from the moderator. Sometimes that poster's handle disappears and comes back with another name.

joxville
09-Jul-09, 08:17
The threads and posts have changed in the general forum a lot since I became a member and not for the better
a lot of the people I loved posting have gone
Angela, Percy, Torvaig , Trinkie , Helen Whyler Trix even Moira and Highlander not posting so much the list is endless please forgive me if I missed you out not intentional why do you you think that is ? but they are a loss

Percy got banned so that's why we won't hear anymore from him. Trix probably has better things to do since she got engaged recently, I miss her too-she's batty but in a nice way. Torvaig is very nice, I also miss her. No idea why the others have stopped or don't post so much.:(

wifie
09-Jul-09, 08:55
Hey you lot - it's life - people come, people go! It is sad and there are some good posters lost because they could not handle some folk's pettiness! It does seem you do need a thick skin in here. (Or a brass neck -cough jox cough.) The Org can be a great place with lots of help, advice and fun but you gotta be able to bypass the stuff that just does not appeal to you - again rather like life! :)

loganbiffy
09-Jul-09, 09:43
Loganbiffy wasn't complaining; he/she was expressing concern about the impression these hallowed threads can give people living outwith the county.

Given that frequently, threads are gripes about - jet skis, neighbours, stupid folks, Reiss beach, piggin (sic) shooters, - his/her concern is justifiable and understandable.

Thanks very much PantsMAN.
You are correct, it was an observation, not a complaint :)

I kinda figured some people would see it as a complaint though :lol:

Tighsonas4
09-Jul-09, 09:54
well said wifie, as annex has said there are good old friends more than them who packed it in, others are in touch privately
as for me i like a quiet life so they can please themselves
can have plenty problems without coming looking for more on here [lol] tony

PantsMAN
09-Jul-09, 11:54
Hey you lot - it's life - people come, people go! It is sad and there are some good posters lost because they could not handle some folk's pettiness! It does seem you do need a thick skin in here. (Or a brass neck -cough jox cough.) The Org can be a great place with lots of help, advice and fun but you gotta be able to bypass the stuff that just does not appeal to you - again rather like life! :)

How right you are wifie; I remember how things were on another forum during a past life. Some great characters and some very misguided and over-eager mod's.

But here we are on the Org; I expect it doesn't really reflect Caithness life but just a certain skewed part of it...:eek:

telfordstar
09-Jul-09, 12:03
If it was all nicey nicey and no complaining would it not get just a little bit boring. I love a good debate here on the org there are some orgers you know will moan and groan like the always do but most cine with some pretty good point and sometimes even I change my view after reading someone elses views.

PantsMAN
09-Jul-09, 12:10
If it was all nicey nicey and no complaining would it not get just a little bit boring. I love a good debate here on the org there are some orgers you know will moan and groan like the always do but most cine with some pretty good point and sometimes even I change my view after reading someone elses views.

A debate is not the same as serial complaining!

telfordstar
09-Jul-09, 13:09
A debate is not the same as serial complaining!

No I guess not but I wouldnt say that serial complaining happens that much.

bobbyrussell09
09-Jul-09, 13:53
i agree,i admit i come on here to get the gossip an do end up looking for a rant from someone

Lolabelle
09-Jul-09, 22:24
i think the tone has changed a lot here, and I don't come on as often as I used to, because of the bickering. I think the break has been good, and now I'm enjoying the org again. I do try to avoid any threads that are going to cause me to react negatively, because I don't like the way I feel about myself when I get drawn in. But there are heaps that you rarely hear from now, which is a shame.

Bazeye
09-Jul-09, 23:00
Most people who post on forums are opinionated to a certain degree and have got something to say (or nothing better to do).A lot of people who visit forums just lurk and dont post. How many people do you reckon there are who post regularly on the forum compared to the population of caithness, less than 1% ? So 99% of Caithness folk dont moan or whinge. Simple.;)

Bazeye
09-Jul-09, 23:03
PS. Come back Percy and Gene, I miss your little tiffs. Cant help wondering if the two of them met in a bar and started having a craic with each other how theyd get on if they didnt know who each others alter ego was.

hotrod4
10-Jul-09, 11:20
PS. Come back Percy and Gene, I miss your little tiffs. Cant help wondering if the two of them met in a bar and started having a craic with each other how theyd get on if they didnt know who each others alter ego was.
Very true they were master debators and could argue with their shadows!!! But in a good way because you always wondered what they would say next-you could read a comment and say "percy/gene aint gonna like that!!!" loved waiting for their reply imagaining steam coming out of their ears!![lol]

Too many people take things way too serious and forget that your username and avatar are but a persona that people adopt when online.

bobbyrussell09
10-Jul-09, 11:40
Very true they were master debators and could argue with their shadows!!! But in a good way because you always wondered what they would say next-you could read a comment and say "percy/gene aint gonna like that!!!" loved waiting for their reply imagaining steam coming out of their ears!![lol]

Too many people take things way too serious and forget that your username and avatar are but a persona that people adopt when online.
i agree with your post ,there are to many people taken things way to serious on these pages

Haitch
10-Jul-09, 11:42
It is far less evident on this forum than any other I have seen. From what I see there is a good core of mature posters on here that really shadow any pettiness.

wifie
10-Jul-09, 12:37
I have to say it is interesting to note that a couple of new members have arrived and their view of the Org is much more positive than that of many longstanding posters - unless of course they are being sarcastic! ;)

telfordstar
10-Jul-09, 13:47
Theres to much of "throwing the toys outo the pram" going on on here sometimes which for me all adds to it. I love when they take a strop but thing is we all have an opinion whether some folk lek it or not.

Kevin Milkins
10-Jul-09, 16:28
I have to say it is interesting to note that a couple of new members have arrived and their view of the Org is much more positive than that of many longstanding posters - unless of course they are being sarcastic! ;)

I also wonder how many new members are new.;)

WickWitch
10-Jul-09, 16:35
I am new to this forum.....but not new to life!

oldmarine
11-Jul-09, 05:14
Percy got banned so that's why we won't hear anymore from him. Trix probably has better things to do since she got engaged recently, I miss her too-she's batty but in a nice way. Torvaig is very nice, I also miss her. No idea why the others have stopped or don't post so much.:(

I miss Helen Wyler. She was a delightful person and posted sensible comments. I almost visited her in the San Francisco Bay area where she currently lives when I was traveling up the Pacific Coast a few years ago but couldn't quite make the stop.

weeboyagee
13-Jul-09, 10:35
Interesting comments on here.

There is no doubt that some folk on here can debate in a manner where the content is way more mature than the simple moan. There is a difference.

The subject material for one is a definite indication as to whether it will be a moan or a debate. The people engaging in it (after you've gotten the measure of them - if you ever can of some of them :D) will indicate. Lastly, I think most of us know what a moan is on here. Sadly, the moans are a lot more frequent than the debates now. I am sure the tide will turn.

WBG :cool:

Olin
13-Jul-09, 11:26
I am sort of new to these forums but not new to forums in general.

I have noticed that lot's of "discussions" end up turning into arguements which is fair enough.

What really riles me and I'm not sure if it's what Logan is getting at but the fact that there are some tups who come on here and enter a discussion with the thought they are the complete expert and their opinion/view is the 100% correct version...

Not cool and not wanted tbh!

pink25
13-Jul-09, 12:26
"I have noticed that lot's of "discussions" end up turning into arguements"

Have to agree with Olin.

I have been visiting the forums for quite some time but never registered until recently as there appeared to be alot of argueing and people waiting to jump down other peoples throats.....:roll: It appeared that some people were just looking to find flaws in what other people were saying or looking for someone to disagree with. Just my opinion though...
I have only recently started posting but rarely post as I don't really want to get myself into any of these arguements :~(
....but by posting this I probably am! lol [lol]

hotrod4
14-Jul-09, 08:20
"I have noticed that lot's of "discussions" end up turning into arguements"

Have to agree with Olin.

I have been visiting the forums for quite some time but never registered until recently as there appeared to be alot of argueing and people waiting to jump down other peoples throats.....:roll: It appeared that some people were just looking to find flaws in what other people were saying or looking for someone to disagree with. Just my opinion though...
I have only recently started posting but rarely post as I don't really want to get myself into any of these arguements :~(
....but by posting this I probably am! lol
Right thats it!!! You and me Bignold park square go now!!!![lol]

Only joking, know what you mean though but must admit I love a good ding dong,but some do go a bit too far.
I think its all to do with having a thick skin and not letting it get to you.
I give as good as I get but dont mean nothing personal.The way I look at it I am Attacking the comment NOT the person.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Jul-09, 15:23
I always have a LOL to myself at this time of the year on the org.Cos in the holiday months the threads dry up like a wee prune in the heat.Then folk start to slag of the general section,its too argumentative its too trivial.This poster is gone that one is gone.Who cares?

Read the threads ye don't like,reply to the ones ye do.

Simples(meerkat sound effect):lol::lol:

wifie
15-Jul-09, 10:34
I always have a LOL to myself at this time of the year on the org.Cos in the holiday months the threads dry up like a wee prune in the heat.Then folk start to slag of the general section,its too argumentative its too trivial.This poster is gone that one is gone.Who cares?

Read the threads ye don't like,reply to the ones ye do.

Simples(meerkat sound effect):lol::lol:

Sighs - precisely! :roll:

pink25
15-Jul-09, 22:50
Right thats it!!! You and me Bignold park square go now!!!!

Only joking, know what you mean though but must admit I love a good ding dong,but some do go a bit too far.
I give as good as I get but dont mean nothing personal.The way I look at it I am Attacking the comment NOT the person.

bignold square naaaaa :lol:
I wouldn't let anything get to me that's written on here as it's not really personal when people don't know who you are....but just silly things I've noticed in threads - people commenting on little things like peoples spelling... :eek:
But maybe its just the way it is and always has been.....

please dont attack my comment LOL :lol:

wifie
15-Jul-09, 23:12
please dont attack my comment LOL :lol:

Heck never say that - they will find yer achilles heel! [lol]

Metalattakk
15-Jul-09, 23:22
dong,but some do go a bit too far.

Absolutely. That's the way I see it, and that's the way I try to behave. There are always some precious people who take it personally and respond as if I've literally poked them in the eye with a stick.

I've never personally attacked someone on here, no matter what my various infractions say. It's always the opinion I've had the beef with.

wifie
15-Jul-09, 23:29
Absolutely. That's the way I see it, and that's the way I try to behave. There are always some precious people who take it personally and respond as if I've literally poked them in the eye with a stick.

I've never personally attacked someone on here, no matter what my various infractions say. It's always the opinion I've had the beef with.

:confused

;)