PDA

View Full Version : Missing cat bower

Mr Large Shorts
08-Jul-09, 10:22
Lost small Black cat in Bower area. Has one fang and a white whisker she is quite old but friendly and agile. 01955 661 374

ellimac
08-Jul-09, 17:27
My heart goes out to you, I too lost my cat 6 weeks or more ago now and she still hasn't turned up, but I still live in hope that she will, I too live in the Bower area, I will have a look about for you, I do hope your cat turns up soon......

Mr Large Shorts
08-Jul-09, 21:08
I have been asking some neighbours and it turns out that six cats have gone missing in this area in the last few months. Traffic is not an issue for five of them.
very odd. Our cat never goes out at night and went missing in the afternoon we have poultry free range and none of them have dissapeared. Anybody got any ideas?

ellimac
09-Jul-09, 10:20
I have been asking some neighbours and it turns out that six cats have gone missing in this area in the last few months. Traffic is not an issue for five of them.
very odd. Our cat never goes out at night and went missing in the afternoon we have poultry free range and none of them have dissapeared. Anybody got any ideas?

Yeah I spoke to a few people the other week and they were telling me that their cats had gone missing too, Traffic isn't an issue with us either as where we live the road is very very quite, someone said to me that there are a lot of foxes in the Bower area and altho it is rare, a fox will take a cat, sad to think that, :( but I suppose its something that might off happened...
I really hope that your cat and everybody elses cats turn up and I live in hope that my Fluffy turns up too.....
Will keep looking tho in the mean time....

purplelady
09-Jul-09, 23:09
I know i have said it before but do not give up hope i once last my cat for 6 wks or more and she came home so pls do not give up hope x

Liz
10-Jul-09, 17:37
I am so sorry that your cat is missing Mr Large Shorts and that yours hasn't come back yet Ellimac.:(

It is really strange that six cats have gone missing from the same area!!!!!

Ellimac I know you say there are foxes in your area but I promise you it is very, very unlikely that they have taken even one cat let alone six!

It does sound really suspicious and I wonder whether you ought to call the Police?

BINBOB
10-Jul-09, 18:28
I also heard ...weeks ago now that a couple of cats must have been taken by a fox,.this was just outside halkirk at braal.very strange.:confused

teenybash
10-Jul-09, 21:07
6 cats in the same area going missing.......sounds highly suspect and I would rule foxes out......has any other outdoor critters gone missing or is it only cats.............seems out of the ordinary somehow.:confused

Liz
11-Jul-09, 13:42
6 cats in the same area going missing.......sounds highly suspect and I would rule foxes out......has any other outdoor critters gone missing or is it only cats.............seems out of the ordinary somehow.:confused

Totally agree with you Teenybash. A fox may take a cat who is sick and can't defend itself but they are not in the habit of attacking cats who are more than a match for them.

Definitely something strange going on when six have gone missing from the same area.

I would call the Police.

purplelady
11-Jul-09, 23:34
Totally agree with you Teenybash. A fox may take a cat who is sick and can't defend itself but they are not in the habit of attacking cats who are more than a match for them.

Definitely something strange going on when six have gone missing from the same area.

I would call the Police.
I agree with teenybash cannot see a fox takibg a healthy cat one of mine had a fight with a fox we think he had a bit on his foot which the vet said looked like a fox bite and he said a healthy cat would defend its self against a fox so maybe worth reporting to police x

Mr Large Shorts
15-Jul-09, 14:33
Thank you for your replies.

The conclusion we have come to is that there is a large vicious cat that could be killing the cats.
It is unlikely to be a dog as the dog owners here are responsible, a fox would have taken our chickens or ducks which roam around (to big for a cat to attack). Our cat went missing in the afternoon between 12 and 4.00. She never went out at night or wandered far.
We have since seen the young cat from next door (who have lost three cats) with a chunk out of its side fur. A friend near the hall has cats that are being terrorised by some kind of ferral. Dunno?? but still searching.

bothyman
15-Jul-09, 16:10
The conclusion we have come to is that there is a large vicious cat that could be killing the cats.

Have you thought about putting a Trap out and trying to catch whatever it is.

If it's another Cat it may have just claimed your Cats patch, so your Cat is just frightened to come home.

If it's a Feral Cat that's moved in, it's only trying to feed itself and has decided there is not enough food for two.

kgs
16-Jul-09, 20:08
There is a large feral cat in bower near the community centre which attacks our cats. It is a large male tabby with a white chin and chest. It roams along the old track at the back of the community centre and down into the trees so not sure how far it goes. Our cat was missing for a couple of days and after a lot of searching we found it injured in the trees and it couldnt walk. It had a large infected bite from the feral cat. All of our cats get really bad infections when bitten by it.
Hope your cat comes home soon.

Liz
16-Jul-09, 22:17
Why don't you call Cats Protection re the feral cat?

You could get a trap from them and then get the cat to the Vets to have it neutered. This should 'calm it down' and hopefully stop these attacks.

PS. I see in a previous post that you say this cat 'could be killing the cats'. I have to say this is a bit alarmist and worrying to others who have cats missing in this area and you don't know this is the case?

kgs
17-Jul-09, 12:14
I have contacted cats protection. They told me not much they could do, yes they could try and trap it and neuter it but at that time they had no available traps. When i phoned again they only had a trap which you would need to pull a string to activate the door which would not be very practical.
Not saying the cat is killing others but the injuries it leaves and the infections it causes are most severe! I mean to advise that owners should keep looking and should be aware of what is happening in the local area. Our injured cat did not find his way home, we found him, unable to walk and very very ill!
We are doing our best to trap the feral but by their nature it is difficult.

Liz
17-Jul-09, 12:41
That's a shame that Cats Protection don't have enough traps at the moment but would be worth getting one when they do as I think the only solution is to get the feral trapped and neutered.

Have you asked the SSPCA whether they have a trap they could loan you?

Maybe you and your neighbours could take turns in checking the trap and then take him to the Vets?

I realise that cats can cause nasty injuries and, if left untreated, infection can set in.

I really hope you catch him for the sake of your poor cats.

Good luck!

PS How is your own cat now? Hope he has recovered okay?

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 12:41
I have contacted cats protection. They told me not much they could do, yes they could try and trap it and neuter it but at that time they had no available traps. When i phoned again they only had a trap which you would need to pull a string to activate the door which would not be very practical.
Not saying the cat is killing others but the injuries it leaves and the infections it causes are most severe! I mean to advise that owners should keep looking and should be aware of what is happening in the local area. Our injured cat did not find his way home, we found him, unable to walk and very very ill!
We are doing our best to trap the feral but by their nature it is difficult.

I think he should be caught and put to sleep..........sorry.

kgs
17-Jul-09, 13:45
Our cat recovered although he now looks like he should be renamed 'scar', our other cat has become very timid and only goes out if really needs to and only to where she can still see our catflap.

Liz
17-Jul-09, 14:15
I am glad your cat is okay although a bit 'battered'. It is such a shame about your other cat.

I really hope you manage to solve the problem of the feral.

teenybash
17-Jul-09, 15:59
Sorry to say but, this feral cat really concerns me a lot if he is infecting healthy cats with biting/scratching and generally ruffing them up as he could be carrying FIV. Any cats that been wounded by him maybe should have a blood test done to check they are Fiv pos or neg as it is contagous to other felines through a bite or a scratch............

Foxy
17-Jul-09, 23:44
There is a large feral cat in bower near the community centre which attacks our cats. It is a large male tabby with a white chin and chest. It roams along the old track at the back of the community centre and down into the trees so not sure how far it goes. Our cat was missing for a couple of days and after a lot of searching we found it injured in the trees and it couldnt walk. It had a large infected bite from the feral cat. All of our cats get really bad infections when bitten by it.
Hope your cat comes home soon.

Are you sure the cat is feral?. Is the cat tall and slim?, as the cat you are describing sounds like one of mine!!

As for cats going missing in Bower we have 6 cats and they are all still here and we are in the same area as the cats going missing.

Liz
18-Jul-09, 12:46
I was just thinking has anyone actually seen this 'feral' cat attack other cats or are you just assuming this is the case?

Foxy it is good to know that all your cats are okay. It is a mystery what has happened to the rest.

kgs
20-Jul-09, 21:55
Are you sure the cat is feral?. Is the cat tall and slim?, as the cat you are describing sounds like one of mine!!

As for cats going missing in Bower we have 6 cats and they are all still here and we are in the same area as the cats going missing.

Wouldnt say slim, it is large, no collar, not neutered and smells (really bad). We have seen it attack, it has come into our house a few times looking for food and gone for our cats and also while out in the garden. We did check locally and a few people knew of it as a stray.

Mr Large Shorts
21-Jul-09, 21:44
Thank you all for your comments, still no sign of my cat just hope she turns up.:(:(

saw a massive ginger cat here last night if anyone has lost one.