PDA

View Full Version : phantom pregnancy

feegilmour
07-Jul-09, 19:26
hi does anyone hav any tips on how 2 cope with a dog havin a phantom pregnancy she crying all day and nite scratchin at carpets and couch and bein very clingy all which is so out character any tips gratefully received
thanx in advance
hope i hav done this right never done it before;)

BINBOB
07-Jul-09, 22:31
hi does anyone hav any tips on how 2 cope with a dog havin a phantom pregnancy she crying all day and nite scratchin at carpets and couch and bein very clingy all which is so out character any tips gratefully received
thanx in advance
hope i hav done this right never done it before;)

i would get her to the vet.had same problem with one of my cockers last season.she was given GALASTOP drops...she was much better in 48 hours.

hope she will be fine;)

feegilmour
07-Jul-09, 23:23
thanx BINBOB will pass this on that is wot i thot

daisychain
08-Jul-09, 17:10
One of our bassets had a false pregnancy back in the spring, the raging hormones brought on mammary tumours which grew at an alarming rate and had to be removed along with her getting spayed. She was given Galastop to get rid of the milk (very affective too). I would advise you to have her spayed if you are not going to breed her as it can save alot of stress alround.

BINBOB
08-Jul-09, 19:48
One of our bassets had a false pregnancy back in the spring, the raging hormones brought on mammary tumours which grew at an alarming rate and had to be removed along with her getting spayed. She was given Galastop to get rid of the milk (very affective too). I would advise you to have her spayed if you are not going to breed her as it can save alot of stress alround.

Iwould agree with that...I also have a basset...know that i should spay her.she also had a false pregnancy.;)

crustyroll
09-Jul-09, 15:02
Definately get Galstop from the vets, you should see a difference with 48 hours and it eases the stress on the bitch and you!

Some phantoms take longer to develop, one of my bitches doesn't show any signs until she's about 12-13 weeks past her season, so this would be when the pups are 2-3 weeks old. I cut back her food give her more exercise and just pretend like everything is normal and this is usually more than enough.

I've had to use Galstop once on another bitch and it worked wonders but be careful if there is any intention to breed from her, Galstop can upset their seasons and put any plans you have made to rest... :roll: well for several months at least.

shazzy
09-Jul-09, 21:44
hiya,my patterdale kept having them and was more ill every time.Had her spayed in the end,vet recommended it as the best option as it can lead to all sorts of complications.

feegilmour
09-Jul-09, 22:12
thanks everyone for the advice galastop seems 2 b the way forward for the wee girl again thanks for all advice from everyone