PDA

View Full Version : Piggin shooters. Aaaargh!

porshiepoo
07-Jul-09, 15:54
Does anyone know whether people who are going to be shooting Crows have to give any kind of public warning?
The occupants at Lybster House appear to be shooting at crows again and I'm sick of not getting any warning.
It's bad enough when they start up nine or ten o clock at night to shoot at the nests but this is ridiculous.
We have birds of prey being flown and it has now caused one of them to panic.
The dogs though are kenneled outside during the day and this has yet again caused one of the shepherds to scale a 7ft wire fence to get out in panic. One day he'll break a leg on the way down and I know who will be footing the bloomin bill.
Would it really hurt to give locals with animals at least some warning?
The cows and their calves in the next field aren't taking too kindly to it either, if they panic I'm sure there'll be trouble.

Anyone know what the facts are on informing residents?

kriklah
07-Jul-09, 17:15
not sure on the rules as to whether they have to inform us, but it would be common curtousy to do so. in previous years we havent been warned but this year there are new owners of Braal Castle, Halkirk. they put a letter through all our doors the day before, letting us know they would be shooting. (however they didnt mention the tree felling happening later and left us wondering why all out electrics went off, after a tree went the wrong way and took out the lines!!:confused) but they are doing some lovely work around the castle grounds, tidying it up and generally improving the site aswell and the internal renovations.

buggyracer
07-Jul-09, 18:50
Does anyone know whether people who are going to be shooting Crows have to give any kind of public warning?
The occupants at Lybster House appear to be shooting at crows again and I'm sick of not getting any warning.
It's bad enough when they start up nine or ten o clock at night to shoot at the nests but this is ridiculous.
We have birds of prey being flown and it has now caused one of them to panic.
The dogs though are kenneled outside during the day and this has yet again caused one of the shepherds to scale a 7ft wire fence to get out in panic. One day he'll break a leg on the way down and I know who will be footing the bloomin bill.
Would it really hurt to give locals with animals at least some warning?
The cows and their calves in the next field aren't taking too kindly to it either, if they panic I'm sure there'll be trouble.

Anyone know what the facts are on informing residents?

i doubt they have to inform you, but im sure if you explain your problems to them, they would gladly let you know when they would be carrying out the shooting next so you could ensure you were prepared?

porshiepoo
07-Jul-09, 22:39
Just getting so cheesed off with this now. It's so ruddy dangerous.
The wooded area that they're shooting in adjoins our land and my kids are always down there with the birds and the dogs. [evil]
All it would take is a tap on the door or a note - they soon come down when their dog has escaped for the millionth time. (I've tried explaining that castration would help stop the dog wandering but I don't think they've heeded my advice).

I understand that the crows are a nuisance as there are loads of them but it seems they're shooting indiscriminately at all times of the year now.

My other concern is that I know there are Buzzards nesting in those woods also, plus we suspect there is a Herons nest.

I'm going to have to contact them but I'm going to get my facts right with the council first. I'm not trying to stop them shooting the crows but I do think we deserve a little notice and warning.

Fran
07-Jul-09, 23:08
Isn't it against the law to shoot birds?

Bloo
07-Jul-09, 23:11
You dont have to be informed about it. But i agree, it is dangerous just doing it. They should have the sense to warn you before they do it. And you can shoot birds. Not all birds are protected. They'd best watch what they're shooting.

Aaldtimer
08-Jul-09, 02:52
Porsh,..."I understand that the crows are a nuisance as there are loads of them"... I think you'll find it's the rooks they are culling.
The so called "common" crow aint so very common nowadays!:confused

riggerboy
08-Jul-09, 07:56
why dont you go up ans ask them or are you scared o the gun, ye on yer own,

old saying comes to mind

stay away from folks who have guns ye`ll get hurt

porshiepoo
08-Jul-09, 09:08
why dont you go up ans ask them or are you scared o the gun, ye on yer own,

old saying comes to mind

stay away from folks who have guns ye`ll get hurt

LOL. They definately seem to fire indiscriminately. Best stay away or else I may "accidentally" get shot in the bum. lol.

Fran: These birds are classed as vermin and as such they are not under the protection that other birds enjoy!
Buzzards and Herons do though! And they do shoot these birds when there's a risk of eggs, nesting or even chicks about that are protected. I'm not suggesting that they shoot at the Buzzards etc but they certainly must risk them abandoning a nest or young.

I'm not even trying to stop them shooting them, I wouldn't want gwana all over my driveway either although I must admit we love to watch them flocking every day - it's an awesome sight.

I'm going to write them a nice letter and see what happens but I shall also have to warn them that if they shoot without notice and one of my dogs or birds is injured trying to escape, then they'll be footing the vet bill.

riggerboy
08-Jul-09, 10:46
LOL. They definately seem to fire indiscriminately. Best stay away or else I may "accidentally" get shot in the bum. lol.

Fran: These birds are classed as vermin and as such they are not under the protection that other birds enjoy!
Buzzards and Herons do though! And they do shoot these birds when there's a risk of eggs, nesting or even chicks about that are protected. I'm not suggesting that they shoot at the Buzzards etc but they certainly must risk them abandoning a nest or young.

I'm not even trying to stop them shooting them, I wouldn't want gwana all over my driveway either although I must admit we love to watch them flocking every day - it's an awesome sight.

I'm going to write them a nice letter and see what happens but I shall also have to warn them that if they shoot without notice and one of my dogs or birds is injured trying to escape, then they'll be footing the vet bill.

thats it you give them both barrels so to speak, just make sure that they dont get upset and give you both barrels lol

achingale
08-Jul-09, 11:42
I hate crows because I saw one kill another bird's chick. The mother could not save her young as she was too small to stand up to the crow.

George Brims
08-Jul-09, 20:24
These people sound like a right bunch of yahoos.