PDA

View Full Version : Fountain@wick river

WICKER09
07-Jul-09, 11:33
The Fountain at the Riverside looks a right mess with all the litter and Broken Bottles in it.
The same can be said for the path along to the Cannon and the Kids Play area.
It is only a couple of years ago that the Fountain was done up with Money from Wick Gala.
In the state it is in it does Nothing to impress the Tourists.
I wonder why the council are Not keeping this area clear of litter.
If you go to Inverness and the Whin Park / islands there is NO LITTER to be seen. Same Council Different STANDARDS

balto
07-Jul-09, 11:38
see once again idiots with no thought for others leaving all there rubbish and bottles to spoil it for others. high time they clamped down harder on people that do this, on the spot fines is whats needed.

bluemafia
07-Jul-09, 18:10
look,I know the carpark at the norseman is not the same thing,but you want to see all the pop bottles and pizza boxes that are dropped there from the night before.[evil]

WickWitch
07-Jul-09, 18:14
Simple, teach your kids to not drop litter. If you see anyone dropping litter ask them nicely to pick it up. If there is litter then pick it up yourself. Don't always rely on the council to do it for you. It is your community so do something instead of waiting for someone else....or organise a community clean up. You would be surprised, or not, about the number of people who moan and wait for someone else to do things for them.

Bookworm
07-Jul-09, 18:51
Simple, teach your kids to not drop litter. If you see anyone dropping litter ask them nicely to pick it up. If there is litter then pick it up yourself. Don't always rely on the council to do it for you. It is your community so do something instead of waiting for someone else....or organise a community clean up. You would be surprised, or not, about the number of people who moan and wait for someone else to do things for them.

I agree with WickWitch. But it is sometimes hard when a teenager drops his bottle in the road and when you ask him to put it in the nearest bin you get a really dirty look that could mean "we'll get you". I did in this instance make a point to pick up the bottle and put it in my bin and not make any further fuss about it.

Vistravi
07-Jul-09, 19:09

Well said wickwitch

I agree with WickWitch. But it is sometimes hard when a teenager drops his bottle in the road and when you ask him to put it in the nearest bin you get a really dirty look that could mean "we'll get you". I did in this instance make a point to pick up the bottle and put it in my bin and not make any further fuss about it.

aye but they can't touch you even if they give you the "I'll get you" eyes. They're just trying to act big when they do that.

TRUCKER
07-Jul-09, 21:30
I feel a lot of the young people of today have no respect for the envoirment it is a shame but that is just the way it is

EDDIE
07-Jul-09, 22:05

Telling a teenager to pick up there litter is just asking for trouble its all very well organising a community clean up or pick things up your self but thats just a quick fix it doesnt solve the problem really imagine if it was £1000 fine if u got caught dropping litter i dont think u will get much repeat offenders.
Im just suprised that people that break the law are not given community service to do these tasks
The biggest problem these days the fines dont match the crime committed to todays living standards it all needs to be updated.

Fran
07-Jul-09, 23:10
look,I know the carpark at the norseman is not the same thing,but you want to see all the pop bottles and pizza boxes that are dropped there from the night before.[evil]

Yes, and i have watched the lads in the same two cars sitting there chatting away and throwing everything out of the window...yet there is a bucket near by. Maybe i will take their numbers next time.

youoldduffer
07-Jul-09, 23:47
why dont the police do something, i was down in aberdeen the other week and no sooner had a kid dropped his can when a police man made him pick it up. Some drunks made to sit down by the bridge and agin diffrent police moved them on and warned them they would be watched.

It's all well and good telling a kid/teenager to pick it up only to get a mouthful of cheek, what are you to do then?, you cant feet their proverbial (like we used to get as bairns and it didn't do us any harm). Do you call the police?, well if they cant keep an eye on the fountain which is just down the road from the police station what chance do you have of them turning up. Tell their parents wheres the threat, whats the punishment. When we did summit wrong and got a hot butt for it, you sure ad dammit didn't do it again (well ya didn't get caught).

bobbyrussell09
08-Jul-09, 00:14
why dont the police do something, i was down in aberdeen the other week and no sooner had a kid dropped his can when a police man made him pick it up. Some drunks made to sit down by the bridge and agin diffrent police moved them on and warned them they would be watched.

It's all well and good telling a kid/teenager to pick it up only to get a mouthful of cheek, what are you to do then?, you cant feet their proverbial (like we used to get as bairns and it didn't do us any harm). Do you call the police?, well if they cant keep an eye on the fountain which is just down the road from the police station what chance do you have of them turning up. Tell their parents wheres the threat, whats the punishment. When we did summit wrong and got a hot butt for it, you sure ad dammit didn't do it again (well ya didn't get caught).
if the police were interested they would no doubt take two hours to get down to a place thats only a stone throw away

bobbyrussell09
08-Jul-09, 00:15
To think about it ,would the police or council try to get there very useful ,very successful cctv down there

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 12:04
Telling a teenager to pick up there litter is just asking for trouble its all very well organising a community clean up or pick things up your self but thats just a quick fix it doesnt solve the problem really imagine if it was £1000 fine if u got caught dropping litter i dont think u will get much repeat offenders.
Im just suprised that people that break the law are not given community service to do these tasks
The biggest problem these days the fines dont match the crime committed to todays living standards it all needs to be updated.

Why is telling someone to do something asking for trouble? It all depends on how you tell them.
If you approach the council or the environment department then they should be willing to supply bags and maybe a grant to help the community.
It's easy to do nothing but if the whole community is involved then it may make the offenders take more care of their surroundings. I am all for encouraging people to take responsibility for their actions and surroundings. If teenagers see that adults dont do anything then it follows that they won't do anything either. You do need to get the parents on board too which is why it is important to teach children from an early age.

EDDIE
08-Jul-09, 17:03
Why is telling someone to do something asking for trouble? It all depends on how you tell them.
If you approach the council or the environment department then they should be willing to supply bags and maybe a grant to help the community.
It's easy to do nothing but if the whole community is involved then it may make the offenders take more care of their surroundings. I am all for encouraging people to take responsibility for their actions and surroundings. If teenagers see that adults dont do anything then it follows that they won't do anything either. You do need to get the parents on board too which is why it is important to teach children from an early age.

If you try telling a group of teenagers to go pick up the litter they dropped i can well imagine what they would say to u.

WickWitch
08-Jul-09, 17:29
I have and do and stop them from spitting! Disgusting habit. It all depends on how you approach them......my other half says it is because I have the look of an angel and the tongue of a viper......or is that the other way around :(

George Brims
08-Jul-09, 20:08
There are two issues here, firstly the behaviour of teenagers and how to improve it, and secondly the fountain itself.

The first is horrible and I have no idea how to make it better. No one person is going to make an impact, but maybe if everyone chips away at the problem it will improve.

The second is also horrible, and I propose somebody should take a JCB to it.

PantsMAN
08-Jul-09, 20:14
There are two issues here, firstly the behaviour of teenagers and how to improve it, and secondly the fountain itself.

The first is horrible and I have no idea how to make it better. No one person is going to make an impact, but maybe if everyone chips away at the problem it will improve.

The second is also horrible, and I propose somebody should take a JCB to it.

Interesting concept George; I have often wondered what the attraction of this antiquated cone was.

Like many things all around us, maybe its time has passed?

Watch this space...

wndyndy
09-Jul-09, 03:48
we all should be respondsible to keep the public places clean.:eek: