PDA

View Full Version : Shops from Wick, past

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 18:41
Come ye weeker's let's get our mind's going no.

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:43
No a weeker, but I remember many moons ago going up stairs to cafe which would have been across the road from where McKenzies had a shop on Bridge Street.

Ann
19-Mar-06, 18:45
I think that would have been the "Dolphin Restaurant" which was above where the "Pit Stop" is now.
Ann

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 18:46
That was the rendvous reastaurant above the central cafe, owned by cabrelli

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 18:47
Youngs toy shop, where A and D's is now. The Chinese restaurant in Francis Street. Nellie Davidsons in Argyll Square. There was another grocers next to the harbour cafe but I can't remember the mannies name!:confused:

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 18:49
Scotscoop now was Mackenzies, before that it was eagle star insurance.

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 18:51
The cash and Carry in Williamson Street. Am I right in Saying that at one time there was a sweetie shop at the Big house where the childrens home is now?:confused: I know there was a shop at Conners too before he turned it into a chip shop. I remember the night it opened he was giving away free chips!!

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 18:51
Youngs toy shop, where A and D's is now. The Chinese restaurant in Francis Street. Nellie Davidsons in Argyll Square. There was another grocers next to the harbour cafe but I can't remember the mannies name!:confused:

That was George Lyall's

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 18:52
The coop used to be where the 99p shop is now and Sloans was down beside the Camps!!

Chillie
19-Mar-06, 18:56
Stella Bain,s or we called her witchie was the wee shop where childrens home is now.

Connor had give away free chips as who would pay money for them?

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 19:06
Huddart street.... Emma Sinclair + sisters confectioners.... Jack Bremners grocers.... Skinners the plumbers ... Maggie Jeans bakers ......Geordie Baikies painters.... Then on Smith Terrace.... Jim Camerons Bookmakers ....Mortimores the Butcher .. Jessie Clynes Bakers..........The Mountain Dew ... The Pulteney Post Office .. The Coop (floggin Hendrys Lemonade) Opposite side in MacArther St was Walter the Chemist.. and Hughinas the butcher... Then along the top was Jimmy Youngs and next to him was Ally Wares the grocer .. Back at the corner of Fancy Tart st and Bexley was the best chip shop in the world John Cormacks ... and opposite was the Royal Bar...Now Ive not gotten in to the world of Angie Rosie or Hughie Malcolms or Annie Reid doing dressmaking or Joe Cassidy doing his painting or owld Hughie Simpson mending Oilskins (incredible workmanship......thats for another day

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 19:15
Oh and George Mackenzies in Barrogill St (good smoked fish) and in Ducksie Willdigs the baker ,the wifie Bulloch (sweeties) Banks selling fish and the aforementioned Hughie Simpson and Joe Cassidy

KitKat
19-Mar-06, 19:37
Jess Sinclair's little paper shop where the estate agents is now. Tiny shop but she had everything including toys. She knew everyone by name and who was related to who. She knew who was in hospital and needed a card or who had a big birthday or anniversary coming up. She never seemed to have a system for where she kept ordered papers and magazines but she knew before you asked what papers you were collecting, what fags someone smoked or who got a Weekly News and who got a Woman's Weekly. She had an old fashioned till but could tell you in a heartbeat what you owed or if you had already paid. Incredible woman!!

trinkie
19-Mar-06, 20:30
Ai Wee Backside Shoppies by W Lyall

If ye lived in ai backside o Poltney
Afore thur wis Coop Supersave
Ye wid ken o ai wee Backside shoppies
An ai long loyal service they gave

Ai Backsiders wanted for nothin
Content in thur oun little scene
They'd no need till trek doon till Bridge Street
Or pass ai Argyle Square Green

I'll tell ye aboot some o iss shoppies
Though most o them's nearly all gone
Ye'll soon recognise iss collection o neimes
Wi a record that's second till none

''Wuldig'' wis famous for biscuids
Ai Backsiders kent fit wis good
Wi queued on a Sunday for Wuldig's icecream
But ye kerried yur own boul or choog

''John Leith'' hed a beeg tank of paraffin
An selt penny bunnles o sticks
Ai lollipops hed a queer flavour
But fine efter twa or three licks

''Hughina'' for chops mince and shankies
''Andrew Teyler'' made fine pottied heed
They'd both gie a bittie for beilan
An mark id till ye's ready till peid

''Walter'' wis more than a Chemist
His service hes never been matched
Always ready wi bandage an lint
If ye fell an yur knee wis a' scratched

''John Cormack'' made chips for ai backside
Yur toung wid be lickin yur lips
Ade wis fine walkin hom fae ai picters
Wi a thripenny bag o 'John's' chips

If yur shoes wis in need o a halfsole
Then 'Cherlie' ai dummy ye'd ken
A han o pontoon when ye's waitin
Ye'd ken fa ai dummy wis then

''E A Bainie'' for Fine Blend tobacco
Her shoppie wis richt up till scratch
But trust 'Willie Fracher' for a bargain
A penny for a Woodbine an match

''Sanny Sketty'' for pandrops and carmels
Lucky bags lollipops and gum
''Jessie Clye'' for cakes scones and fancies
No sooner baked an all done

''Jessie Wilson'' selt sticks o black sugar
For a penny ai bairnies wid buy
Then shake ade in a bottle o water
An drink ade at ai back o ai Sket Hive

''George McKain'' hed a twisty white mouser
Wi a knife he'd an uncanny knack
He slice up yur ham wi a surgeon's skill
An his wife made floor scones in ai back

Theres wan thing ye got oot o iss shoppies
Ids something that money cant buy
If ye felt like some company an blether
Ades something iss shoppies supply

I houp ye've enjoyed iss wee story
An I'm sure theres more shoppies ye can mind
Thur business wis mixed wi pleasure
In iss self service age ye'll no find

We'd a long loyal service fe 'Emma'
Now ades 'Angie' an 'Hughie' an 'Jack'
An now wur chist left wi wur memories
We could do wi ai wee shoppies back

ice box
19-Mar-06, 20:36
thats a great wee story .

DW
19-Mar-06, 21:05
Let's not forget Adam Swanson - the Cobbler in Tolbooth Lane and the pet shop which used to be on the corner at Louisborough street/Tolbooth lane.

girnigoe
19-Mar-06, 21:50
Anyone remember Marjorie Mores clothes shop in Back Bridge Street? If I close my eyes I can still smell that shop!

Zambo
19-Mar-06, 21:57
That was the rendvous reastaurant above the central cafe, owned by cabrelli

Oh, that used to be a lovely restaurant! I can still remember it now - used to love going there for a meal!

peedie man
19-Mar-06, 22:09
there was a bookies where highland plumbing is in louisburgh st also camerons grocer,later janets.across the road was hamish websters

girnigoe
19-Mar-06, 22:11
there was a bookies where highland plumbing is in louisburgh st

Wasnt there a playgroup held there also??

Billy Boy
19-Mar-06, 22:15
I remember when Fred Shearers was where Mackays is now

Bingobabe
19-Mar-06, 22:34
Video shop in louisburgh street.Toyshop in coach road.Templetons used to be where boots is now.Iceland used to be where cab is. How many music shops have we had ? 3 or 4?

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 22:39
It's been the same music shop...they've just relocated a few times.:grin:

Bingobabe
19-Mar-06, 22:41
It's been the same music shop...they've just relocated a few times.:grin:Yes ats what i meant didnt type it very well lol[para]

pultneytooner
19-Mar-06, 22:48
I seem to remember a chipshop just along from a&d's, can't remember the name and ina's shop at the top of bignold park before connors chipshop, alec bremner from the francis street club worked in it at one time.
Anybody mind the gundy wifie i think it was in barogill street.
I think angie rosie had a wee wooden shop in the wasteground across from the one stop shop before he moved to the one stop shop which will always be known as angies by myself, some call it georgies as george bremner took it over after angie died.

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 22:50
I seem to remember a chipshop just along from a&d's, can't remember the name and ina's shop at the top of bignold park before connors chipshop, alec bremner from the francis street club worked in it at one time.
Anybody mind the gundy wifie i think it was in barogill street.
I think angie rosie had a wee wooden shop in the wasteground across from the one stop shop before he moved to the one stop shop which will always be known as angies by myself, some call it georgies as george bremner took it over after angie died.I remember the gundy wifie...lol She had bags of it in her lobby window, we were at the door the whole time..:grin:

Venture
19-Mar-06, 22:57
How many folk remember the Knotty Pine above the crown. Who could forget those wax lamps. Mrs Bremner was the Gundy Wifie. Angie Rosie was originally in a shop in the middle of Wellington Street but it was pulled down to make way for the council houses and the one stop shop as it is now. The wooden shop in Nicolson Street was a temporary base until the new shop was built. Remember Jessie Clyne's custard slices.

pultneytooner
19-Mar-06, 23:00
lol, drink and s..w in the mountain dew, wine and dine in the knotty pine:D

Venture
19-Mar-06, 23:06
Chip shop along from A & D was Fordie Grants and then there was Pearls chip shop in Kinnaird street --ah those wonderful mince patties.

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 23:09
the gundy wifie was in fact Jeannie Campbell or to give her married name Bremner She came originally from Findochty and married Jimmy Bremner skipper of the Fisher Boy Her grandson is the harbour master in Wick
and she was SuperBBBBBBBBBB at making Gundy

pultneytooner
19-Mar-06, 23:10
Chip shop along from A & D was Fordie Grants and then there was Pearls chip shop in Kinnaird street --ah those wonderful mince patties.

AHhhhh, those were the days when you could get a decent fish supper:D
Too many kids on the fryers now.

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 23:12
the gundy wifie was in fact Jeannie Campbell or to give her married name Bremner She came originally from Findochty and married Jimmy Bremner skipper of the Fisher Boy Her grandson is the harbour master in Wick
and she was SuperBBBBBBBBBB at making GundyIt's funny how no-0ne forgets about the gundy wifie. You can still taste it too if you think about it...yumm!!!:grin:

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:20
Butchers & Bakers beside the chipper in Henrietta street, billy mochs shop on high st, ye could barter with him for clothes. Can ye recall the fishing tackle shop in Thurso st? Taco Nolf, the Dutch defender(solicitor) Had it if memory serves me right.
I spoke to a guy on Wick side who got a dvd/videotape for xmas of Wick from the 70`s up to the present day, I bet that would be worth a look [lol]

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:22
It's funny how no-0ne forgets about the gundy wifie. You can still taste it too if you think about it...yumm!!!:grin:

gundy.....i'd do anything for some now...:D

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 23:24
What about jean the fruiters where meiklejohns is and the fish shop. Oh, and the post office in Dempster Street.:grin:

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:24
Butchers & Bakers beside the chipper in Henrietta street, billy mochs shop on high st, ye could barter with him for clothes. Can ye recall the fishing tackle shop in Thurso st? Taco Nolf, the Dutch defender(solicitor) Had it if memory serves me right.
I spoke to a guy on Wick side who got a dvd/videotape for xmas of Wick from the 70`s up to the present day, I bet that would be worth a look [lol]

I watched a tape called "little town of wick" it was fantastic...
billy mochs who could forget him..[lol]

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:25
What about jean the fruiters where meiklejohns is and the fish shop. Oh, and the post office in Dempster Street.:grin:

Remember all them connie...also i had forgot about the pet shop DW had mentioned in an earlier post..

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:26

What is at? what did it taste like?:confused:

ice box
19-Mar-06, 23:29
Oh, and the post office in Dempster Street.:grin: connie i still have my piggy bank that my granny bought me out of there now that years ago lol

ice box
19-Mar-06, 23:31
are'nt they the ones like milk bottles

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:33
Plowmans carpets was a sweetie shop at 1 time, Can ye remember jimmys deliveries in dempster st?

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 23:34
I forgot J Sinclair (Undertaker) in MacArthur St at the back of Hughinas
Lower Dunbar St....Tommy Bremners grocers... Beggs grocers... Finlaysons
electricians ...Sheila Dunnetts hairdressers... Gariochs ..newspapers (which was next to the Spot shop) and then at the bottom there was Jim Millers fish shop run by his sister Janet Oh and Rutherford Sutherland doing his joinery/undertaking from beside the St Andrews kirk

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 23:35
Plowmans carpets was a sweetie shop at 1 time, Can ye remember jimmys deliveries in dempster st?I remember I had to go to the auction with my mam every Saturday.:D

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:39
Coach road had a few shops too if I mind right apart fae Gibbys did it not?

Moira
19-Mar-06, 23:42
Plowmans carpets was a sweetie shop at 1 time, Can ye remember jimmys deliveries in dempster st?

I'd forgotten that - run by Sandy & his wife Joey - wasn't it? Joey was a bit grumpy if you couldn't make your mind up quick about what penny sweeties you wanted :o)

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:42
What is at? what did it taste like?:confused:

It was a hand made boiled sweet..made with sugar and gloucose..it was heated and left until it was ready for stretching..it's taste was like a mild caramel not toffee though...i'm surprised you never heard of it..it was a sweet all the kids were mad for in wick for long enough..Delicious..:grin:

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 23:44
Coach road had a few shops too if I mind right apart fae Gibbys did it not?There was that shop, with all the nik naks in it but I can't remember what it was called!:confused:

girnigoe
19-Mar-06, 23:45

I would give my eye teeth just to see that DVD!! :grin:

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:46

I missed that sweetie shop now..wonder how that one managed to escape my eye...i do remember jimmy deliveries being dragged in there by my mother i hated it..

ice box
mind gibby going round on a sunday with the car seling the papers those were the days

girnigoe
Video shop in louisburgh street.

Where about was that again?

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:47
mind gibby going round on a sunday with the car seling the papers those were the days

That was'nt too long ago icebox..maybe 3 or 4 years ago that stopped..

angela5
19-Mar-06, 23:49
I would give my eye teeth just to see that DVD!! :grin:

I'm sure willowbankbear is talking about the tapes/dvd's called 'little town of wick' they were on sale in thomas's paper shop in dempster street...worth viewing i enjoyed it..

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 23:50
I forgot old Mrs Brooks selling wool and sewing stuff next to Willdigs Bingo Hall
in Ducksie Patty Cook was doing his half-soles beside there as well....Next to Jean the florist was Beggs fish shop..........And in front of the harbour was Cissie Taits hairstyles..George Lyalls ..Donny Angus butcher ...(brilliant white puddings)..Cardosis....Stevens yard ... then Ally Sutherlands ship chandlers...and last was ..NE Farmers

ice box
19-Mar-06, 23:50
I'm sure willowbankbear is talking about the tapes/dvd's called 'little town of wick' they were on sale in thomas's paper shop in dempster street...worth viewing i enjoyed it..
that will be wortha look

dirdyweeker
19-Mar-06, 23:54
I'd forgotten that - run by Sandy & his wife Joey - wasn't it? Joey was a bit grumpy if you couldn't make your mind up quick about what penny sweeties you wanted :o)

the Garden Sweet Shop....and they wouldn't pick out the black sports mixtures (I hated the black ones!)
Robertson's Drapers where Music Shop is now and Liptons where the paper shop is on Bridge Street.
I used to work in the Knotty Pine! and Cabrellis at the camps

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:55
Where about was that again?

Where the plumbing shop is now, It is where I vividly recall The hills have eyes[lol] It was scary at the time for 8-9year olds

girnigoe
19-Mar-06, 23:56
The Sports Shop when it was on the site where Sinclairs Bar is!

girnigoe
19-Mar-06, 23:57
Where the plumbing shop is now, It is where I vividly recall The hills have eyes[lol] It was scary at the time for 8-9year olds

So what year approximately are we talking here? I dont remember that one!

willowbankbear
20-Mar-06, 00:09
So what year approximately are we talking here? I dont remember that one!

1982 I think or 83, when videos first got popular

Moira
20-Mar-06, 00:14
Ali's emporium at the bottom of Scalesburn - latest crimplene fashions - lol! :)

Chillie
20-Mar-06, 01:58
Danny MaGee's in Lower Dunbar street, Nellie's in Argyle Square,and Basher's and the other end, there was a drapers where the seaforth club is now in Dempster St, also colvin bakers, Margaret Taylors papershop,Mackay Sinclairs butchers, also a wool shop next to it, Coop at the top, then basher's drapers now, tanning shop,Post office next to peachies.

pultneytooner
20-Mar-06, 02:54

Aye was that not a man called page that used to run that video shop, mind they also ran taxis they had an old london cab at one time.

Chillie
20-Mar-06, 02:57
Aye was that not a man called page that used to run that video shop, mind they also ran taxis they had an old london cab at one time.

Aye that was Billy page think he's in London now.

pultneytooner
20-Mar-06, 02:59
I watched a tape called "little town of wick" it was fantastic...
billy mochs who could forget him..[lol]
The little town of wick was filmed by a man called dunnet, I think the dvd's are advertised for sale in john malcolm the newsagent's window.

Chillie
20-Mar-06, 03:03
The DVD's you can also get from Poultney news

Chillie
20-Mar-06, 03:42
Banks the chemist, old boots small shop,wilfred weirs, dolphin cafe, beggs sho.e shop, old hydro, currys,liptons all in bridge street

trinkie
20-Mar-06, 09:01
Can anyone help please?
I would love that DVD but cant find an address or telephone number.
Anyone know?

angela5
20-Mar-06, 09:12
Can anyone help please?
I would love that DVD but cant find an address or telephone number.
Anyone know?

'little town of wick' is available from the paper shop in dempster street...someone mentioned in a post it is also in hughie malcolms in kinnaird street...i don't know the phone numbers sorry..

willowbankbear
20-Mar-06, 10:17
Azad video shop in Bridge street, What was the shop with the green painted boards over the windows in Bridge street? What shop around there went on fire? Has anyone got a picture of high street just before it was modernised in the 70`s?

ice box
20-Mar-06, 10:41
Azad video shop in Bridge street, What was the shop with the green painted boards over the windows in Bridge street? What shop around there went on fire? Has anyone got a picture of high street just before it was modernised in the 70`s?
the shop with the green board is the old boots chemist .

ice box
20-Mar-06, 10:41
Does anyone mind when the station hotel when on fire ? and what year was it ?

Countryman
20-Mar-06, 11:16
Was there not a chip shop up the lane off the high street.

willowbankbear
20-Mar-06, 12:04
The station hotel went up about 1985-my guess?

When was the chipper off high street,before my time that.

The old Boots shop had men working in it recently, does anyone ken why? Is it re-opening as........? Ann Summers?? JJB sports? Disney shop? any Ideas?

scrapydoo
20-Mar-06, 12:06
ann summers lol

willowbankbear
20-Mar-06, 12:17
ann summers lol

Would ye go there?:lol:

scrapydoo
20-Mar-06, 12:22
Would ye go there?:lol:
lmao bet you would

ice box
20-Mar-06, 12:24
Was there not a chip shop up the lane off the high street.???????:confused: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_20_43.gif

willowbankbear
20-Mar-06, 12:28
lmao bet you would

Of Course, I was in one 3 weeks ago hehehehe

Lavenderblue2
20-Mar-06, 15:17
I also remember E Campbell's in Dempster Street....those were the days.

By the way

Poltney News
31 Dempster Street

Tel: 602986

Julia
20-Mar-06, 15:37
Video shop in louisburgh street.Toyshop in coach road.Templetons used to be where boots is now.Iceland used to be where cab is. How many music shops have we had ? 3 or 4?

The toy shop in Coad Road, where the British Legion now is, used to be called Riddles.

Round the corner was Janets on louisburgh St.

Back in the 70's there used to be Budge's Baker shop in Henrietta St where Kut Above is now!

I also remember the John O' Groat cafe, where the Music Shop is now, they used to sell single cigarettes to school kids (5p I think) - oh how times have changed LOL

Funky_Foal
20-Mar-06, 17:00
I remember prestos where somerfield is now.

ice box
20-Mar-06, 17:09
you must must be one of the young folks then lol

mike.mckenzie
20-Mar-06, 17:31
I remember Boots the Chemist on Bridge Street, which became Azad video which then became a delapidated wreck.

The newsagent by the council offices which became a council office

DR Simpson's as an ironmongers with a sawdust floor that you could see through

The Music Shop being an Indian restaurant

The Butchers opposite what is now boots being the TSB!

Can anyone remember the crackin directions board by DE Shoes that used to light up the direction you'd take? Me and my cousins would always make a beeline for that as kids.

And the traffic police directing traffic at the junction of bridge street and high street. Sounds so long ago!

SAMITCHELL7
20-Mar-06, 17:54
Nicolsons Grocers where Macallans is now and Dan Dunnets where Boots is, there wiz e Wallpaper shop where the sports shop is now, can anybody mind what the name o the shop wiz. The Fishing Tackle shop used to be Bowles the bakers, and just outside the shop was the smallest pavement in Caithness just enough room for 1 foot, My mither couldna mind what the Backer was before it was the Backer anybody mind, and who had the butchers shop where Cameo's is now

MadPict
20-Mar-06, 18:15
Benny Harpers Cycle shop on Union Street or was it Bank Row
Music Shop (Shearer's?) in Victoria Place - ordered some "weird records" from there according to staff....
The Fisherman's Cafe at the harbour - do they still do hot Scotch Pies?
Yellops Bakers - used to like their sausage rolls....

trinkie
20-Mar-06, 19:22
The little ''shop'' at the Trinkie during the summer run by Mrs Coghill .

Thank you for the phone number Lavendar Blue.
The DVD is £10 and it covers Wick from 1984 - 94;
They will post.

peedie man
20-Mar-06, 19:45
there was a co-op shop in coach rd,roxburgh rd,macarther st and francis st also a butcher shop in francis st

ice box
20-Mar-06, 20:11
there was a co-op shop in coach rd,roxburgh rd,macarther st and francis st also a butcher shop in francis st
The old building behind the video shop at the top of the harbour hill was a coop as well .

ice box
20-Mar-06, 20:15
[quote mike.mckenzieCan anyone remember the crackin directions board by DE Shoes that used to light up the direction you'd take? Me and my cousins would always make a beeline for that as kids.

[/quote] yip me too alway went running to it and push the buttons seems so long ago :D :D

Alice in Blunderland
20-Mar-06, 20:40
I have a faint memmory of Graham Beggs as a laundrette and as a child (almost a baby Ha Ha ) I too played with the directions board until it became a posting point for whats on bills.Was there a shop called Uptown fashions up from the old test centre and a clothes shop used to be in where Donnas hairdressers is now I cant remember the name of it.

Moira
20-Mar-06, 20:53
I have a faint memmory of Graham Beggs as a laundrette and as a child (almost a baby Ha Ha ) I too played with the directions board until it became a posting point for whats on bills.Was there a shop called Uptown fashions up from the old test centre and a clothes shop used to be in where Donnas hairdressers is now I cant remember the name of it.

Was the boutique in Victoria Place called "Valdirosa's" or something similar, run by Mrs Cardosi along with a flower shop? I remember the Launderette too & a boutique upstairs from it - again I think the same Cardosi family. Dim & distant memories viewed from my pram, of course ;)

scorrie
20-Mar-06, 21:19
Ah, such dewy-eyed memories of the old "wee" shops. Now all people want is a giant, soulless Tesco.

wickerinca
20-Mar-06, 21:22
Valdirosa's was run by Mrs Cardosi but she first opened above the launderette (Graham Begg's)!

And what about Calder's the Bakers in Henrietta street....he had a van that toured the streets.....and there were always the ice cream vans...Johnny Stewart and the mannie Ross had one each and they would leapfrog each other along Glamis Road and then Henrietta Street!!

Oh! for a cone of cardosi's ice cream!!

Countryman
20-Mar-06, 21:27
The wallpaer shop was run I think by David Sutherland, also was there not atailors hop in Union street just passed Mackays hotel also a watchmakers.

Plenty of shoe shops one in bridge street and one in high street.

Time moves on and memory goes.

peter macdonald
20-Mar-06, 22:24
The tailor in Union St you are talking about was George Green s

peedie man
20-Mar-06, 22:31
i think there was 2 watchmakers in union st ,,dan campbell and macadies.........there was a grocers at the junction of robert st and george st and bon-accords lemonade in robert st

angela5
20-Mar-06, 23:06
There used to be a shop that sold clothes..wool and material in dempster street where the gift house is an italian couple had it....i think her name was letty??

ice box
20-Mar-06, 23:13
There used to be a shop that sold clothes..wool and material in dempster street where the gift house is an italian couple had it....i think her name was letty??
Was'nt that the lady grant that had that shop she used to sell baby clothes

Whitewater
20-Mar-06, 23:35
Hamish Websters grocery shop in Louisburgh, it later became Adam Swansons shoe shop.

Campbells cycle shop in Glamis road.

angela5
20-Mar-06, 23:39
Was'nt that the lady grant that had that shop she used to sell baby clothes

No this was the late 70's that letty was there.....possibly grant's was after the shop i remember..

ice box
20-Mar-06, 23:40
Campbells cycle shop in Glamis road.got my first racing bike out of there is the shop still there ?:)

Whitewater
21-Mar-06, 00:13
got my first racing bike out of there is the shop still there ?:)

I don't think so, he died. The family kept it on for a while, but I think they eventualy gave it up

Marty McFly
21-Mar-06, 01:50
Ah, such dewy-eyed memories of the old "wee" shops. Now all people want is a giant, soulless Tesco.

Think we'd better take a good look around us at the shops that are here today...they're going to be tomorrows memories a lot sooner than we might think! :roll:

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 02:04
Can any1 mind the barbers down the lane at the side of the bank of scotland?

Chillie
21-Mar-06, 02:28
The old building behind the video shop at the top of the harbour hill was a coop as well .

That used to be the old coop bakery which was destroyed during the war.

MadPict
21-Mar-06, 11:53

Yep - I can, and I used to get my hair cut there but the name has slipped my mind for now...

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 12:09
Well are ye old enough to mind drinking in the Thistle in williamson street?[lol] [lol]

MadPict
21-Mar-06, 12:20
Never ventured there - whether I was old enough to drink in there I am not sure. When was it open?

janette
21-Mar-06, 12:34

That was Jimmy Bain's. Sold a lot of other things too

Surprised no mention of Shoreland in Telford Street, the original cut price store

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 12:43
Never ventured there - whether I was old enough to drink in there I am not sure. When was it open?

I think it was 11 am - 2.30pm then 5pm-11pm[lol] [lol] [lol]

MadPict
21-Mar-06, 12:44
OK - walked into that one - unlike walking into the Thistle..;)

ronmck
21-Mar-06, 12:52
Being reminded of the Directions Board at D.E.'s also brought back memories of the milk dispensing machine beside it. If you thumped the side of the machine hard enough you could get your carton of strawberry milk for free.

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 12:56
Being reminded of the Directions Board at D.E.'s also brought back memories of the milk dispensing machine beside it. If you thumped the side of the machine hard enough you could get your carton of strawberry milk for free.

Aye ye can tell yer fae pulteney[lol] [lol] [lol]

tisme
21-Mar-06, 13:33
WOw, all this is taking me back some. Anyone remember the shop upstairs from the chemist on Bridge Street, it sold heaps of earrings and chains etc. I remember I bought a pair of razorblade earings with matching razorblade necklace in there thinking it would make me look like a punk, ah the innocence of youth. Remember the gundy wifie big style, I used to take orders from folk at the school for it. Had forgotten about Kay Mckenzies in barrogill St, she used to take old money for a whiley after decimalisation, and we used to scourre the gutters looking for sixpences, oh the shame..[lol]

Julia
21-Mar-06, 13:50
sorry if this has already been mentioned

How about Elma's Barber shop at the harbour, I used to get my page-boy cut there as a child LOL

angela5
21-Mar-06, 14:01
sorry if this has already been mentioned

How about Elma's Barber shop at the harbour, I used to get my page-boy cut there as a child LOL

Ouch! Elma's....[lol]

willowbankbear
21-Mar-06, 14:10
There mustve been a few shops on the Harbour quayside at 1 time, a grocers,cafe,2 hairdressers, a ship chandler, a chip shop. was there an anchor store? and Hendrys haulage used to be there in the 80`s

ronmck
21-Mar-06, 14:12
Wallpaper shop next to Pavilion was run by Betty Lewis I seem to recall

ronmck
21-Mar-06, 14:25
Just remembered Cameron Taylor's in Ducksie. He sold bikes,radiograms, records. He also charged up the old batteries for your wireless.
There was aso a shop opposite the old Pulteneytown Academy run by a woman. If you asked her politely she would open up the bubble gum packets and see which footballers pictures were in them to save you getting "doubles".
Colvins bakery in Dempster St and Peter Bain's cobbler shop in Macarthur St also come to mind.

Funky_Foal
21-Mar-06, 18:56
you must must be one of the young folks then lol

Nope im 59 years old

dirdyweeker
21-Mar-06, 23:51
Chrismay Leitch had a "fashion" shop in the Market Square...bought my wedding dress there for £30!!

Countryman
22-Mar-06, 11:36
Seem to remember British Airways had a shop next to Woolies

SEAFORTH
25-Mar-06, 16:22
Who remembers the little blind boy charity box that used to sit outside Fred Shearers in the cliff, where Raymond used to work. Don't think it would be left sitting outside a shop for long nowadays.

SEAFORTH
25-Mar-06, 16:25
I always thought Pearl's chip shop was in Breadalbane, not Kinnaird Street.???Maybe I'm imagining things.

ice box
25-Mar-06, 16:25
If your parked long enough outside a shop the wheel trim will be gone nowadays lol.

SEAFORTH
25-Mar-06, 16:33
Can anyone remember a wool shop been run by Mrs Innes. I thought it was round Back Bridge street, but someone else thought it was somewhere around where the Alliance and Leicester was.??? my mum used to spend hours looking through patterns.

philupmaboug
25-Mar-06, 16:49
anyone mention Peachies chipper, great on a Saturday after the Rosier, sports shop where O'briens the opticians is, and the travelling shop...James Ali suit case and bike.

MadPict
25-Mar-06, 16:51
Ahhh, Peachies. Double red pudding supper please.....

LENSMAN
25-Mar-06, 17:19
Pearlies was in Kinnaird, Sandies was in Breadalbane, they had 2 at one stage.

Chillie
25-Mar-06, 19:28
Who remembers the little blind boy charity box that used to sit outside Fred Shearers in the cliff, where Raymond used to work. Don't think it would be left sitting outside a shop for long nowadays.

They had one outside Mackays hotel as well, do you remember, the massive teddie on stairs in Fred Shearers it was ten times my size when I was little :grin:

pulteney person
25-Mar-06, 19:59
I thought Pearlie was married to Sandy?
I remember their chip shop where the Breadalbane flower shop is now, I think.

I remember the charity box outside Fred Shearers on the Cliff, also remember Fred Shearers shop where MacKay's is now.

I remember the CO-OP had lots of shops - one where Hector's Video shop is now and one next to the butchers in MacArthur Street, one where Christies is now on High Street and one in Roxburgh Road.

Spiff
25-Mar-06, 22:49
Does anyone mind Christmay Leitch's in the Market Square and Bruce's book shop in Nicolson's buildings before the Alliance and Leicester was built?
And Emma's wee shoppie on the corner of Vansittart St with the wee tray of sweeties from which you could get a big bag for an old sixpence. Then there there was Sandie Munro's chippie round the corner before he moved to the top of the Shore Road, and the Co-opy in Roxburgh Road where you got warm sugar cookies early in the morning.

ice box
25-Mar-06, 23:12
does anyone mnd the shoppie at the top of kennedy now iam going back a lot of years .... cant mind the name .

dirdyweeker
26-Mar-06, 00:52
Does anyone mind Christmay Leitch's in the Market Square.

Yes, if you look back this is one of the shops I mentioned. I bought my wedding dress here. Also Carters shop...... bottom of Seaforth Avenue. Now closed

Foxy
26-Mar-06, 01:03
This thread brings back memories I remember Jimmy Bain the barber, When we were kids mum took us there and it was short back and sides for all five of us.

ice box
26-Mar-06, 14:24
This thread brings back memories I remember Jimmy Bain the barber, When we were kids mum took us there and it was short back and sides for all five of us.
Lol same hear go in like a rag doll come out with a fish bowl type hair cut lol

bagpuss
06-Apr-06, 22:49
I can remember that before Mackays, Fred Shearers was rather like Grace brothers from 'Are You Being Served?'. Up at the Cliff, when Raymond held court, the crack was great. And does anyone remember both Dan Dunnet and George Dunnet's shoe shops?

And why, for goodness sake, have the Co-op let those old shops go to rack and ruin- I keep waiting for the one on Francis Street to fall down! Now there's an opportunity waiting for a developer to come along!

girnigoe
07-Apr-06, 00:21
They had one outside Mackays hotel as well, do you remember, the massive teddie on stairs in Fred Shearers it was ten times my size when I was little :grin:

That same teddy is now in the Wick Heritage Centre. I could not believe my eyes when I saw him. Hes so small now!! I used to think he was a giant!!

Betty
29-Aug-06, 19:08

More information on the above tape/dvd, and other films of people and places in Caithness from years gone by, can be had by contacting the owner at buxton118@aol.com

zappster
29-Aug-06, 19:46
beelie mochs & the sea of parkas inside.I seem to remember a sorta antiques(i think)shop doon at the harbour with a ships wheel either in the window or outside!!
The camps bookshop
the garage where Somerfield now stands
what was the shop across the road from the camps called(it used to sell toys )?
.& was it called the knotty pine upstairs from the crown?

katarina
29-Aug-06, 20:01
Wasnt there a playgroup held there also??

I believe it started life as a bakery. mores had it, when i remeber, but maybe jim christie started it. He later taught girls to play the pipes in the bakehouse.

connieb19
29-Aug-06, 20:02
what was the shop across the road from the camps called(it used to sell toys )?
It was called Sutherlands..:)

Munro
29-Aug-06, 20:04
Does anyone know anything about a Tailors/Drapers shop in Wick run by John Munro this could be a seriously long time ago

katarina
29-Aug-06, 20:04
Nope im 59 years old

same age as me - i must know you.

riggerboy
29-Aug-06, 20:09
And why, for goodness sake, have the Co-op let those old shops go to rack and ruin- I keep waiting for the one on Francis Street to fall down! Now there's an opportunity waiting for a developer to come along!

that now belongs to richard garage

Murchiemannie
29-Aug-06, 21:51
seaforth --Mrs Innes's wool shop was in Alexandra Court(behind where Dan Dunnet had his shoe shop. There were flats on both sides of the entry some of which faced onto High Street.) Can't for get Nicholsons the grocer above which three of the flats were.and the Coop butcher was over the road.

sweep
29-Aug-06, 22:24
does anyone remember dunnet's the saddlers shop where walpaper shop is now in bridge street. i still remember the smell of leather.
also mcrae and dick's garage where sommerfield is now and wilfred weirs grocers where gunn's shoes are now

Ann
29-Aug-06, 22:42
does anyone remember dunnet's the saddlers shop where walpaper shop is now in bridge street. i still remember the smell of leather.
also mcrae and dick's garage where sommerfield is now and wilfred weirs grocers where gunn's shoes are now

Yes, you must be as old as me!

tiggertoo
29-Aug-06, 22:54
The Coop was once in Francis Street across fae Richards garage then a chinese restaurant, it is noo a disused eyesore

martin macdonald
29-Aug-06, 23:08
:Razz remember joeys sweetie shoppie. now the carpet shop in girnigoe street[lol]

dirdyweeker
29-Aug-06, 23:12
:Razz remember joeys sweetie shoppie. now the carpet shop in girnigoe street[lol]

Yes , this gets a mention on page 3. It was called the Garden Sweet Shop

SNOWDOG
30-Aug-06, 11:07
Riddles toy and gift shop used to be where the Legion offices are now in coach road. Got my first airfix kit from there many, many, many moons ago! :D

Murchiemannie
30-Aug-06, 19:26
Was there not a chip shop up the lane off the high street.

Im sure the chip shop on the lane leading to the Nethercliffe Hotel belonged to Cardossi.
Many a bag of chips Iv'e had from there. The best bit was when we flooded it with brown vinegar and sooked the chip bag when the chips were done!!
The sheer thought of it!!!!!

brokencross
31-Aug-06, 21:50
I used to live opposite Gibbies in Coach Road, very handy for getting my sweeties. I also used to go to the little wooden Coop a couple of house along to get our morning rolls and suchlike.
My grandad also had the barber shop near the Market square opposite the Crown bar near to Bain and Gibsons, my uncle took over the barbers and then my cousin, don't know what it is now.

marilyn
31-Aug-06, 22:58
:roll: What about Isa Gunn's grocer in Breadalbane Crescent and Danny MacGregors and Winnies wool shop in Bank Row, Jimmy Coghills where Reid and Fraser is now, Baikies wallpaper shop in Back Bridge Street and also on corner of Huddart Street, and Bullocks on corner of Grant Street, Finlayson's in Lower Dunbar street and Donnie Beggs there too. Oh for a taste of that gundy best ever.

peter macdonald
31-Aug-06, 23:06
Baikies had a store in Huddart St as well The shop they had on the corner of Huddart St and Smith terrace was at one time a Bookmakers owned by jim Cameron but I think it was a bakers before that As you moved back toward the Mountain Dew there was Mortimers the butcher and then Jessie Clyne the baker (world class mince pies) and there was a shop which I cant remember the name of GGGrrr

peter macdonald
31-Aug-06, 23:10
Marilyn The best Gundy came out of Barrogill St a cousin of my Grannies called Jeannie Bremner used to make it .... it was the best gundy ever ,,,, unfortunately she was also a dentists dream!!!!!!!!!!!

marilyn
31-Aug-06, 23:15
Yes I know where the best gundy came from I can still taste it many a detour home via Barrogill Street!:roll:

pultneytooner
31-Aug-06, 23:18
Marilyn The best Gundy came out of Barrogill St a cousin of my Grannies called Jeannie Bremner used to make it .... it was the best gundy ever ,,,, unfortunately she was also a dentists dream!!!!!!!!!!!
And toffee apples.

peter macdonald
31-Aug-06, 23:23
Marilyn hope you have better teeth than me then!!!!! Do u mind Garrochs paper shop in Breadabane and Janet Miller in Jims fish shop at the top of the Black stairs and Jack Bremners (tinwhistlies) in Huddart St Also Tommy Millers + Bill Davidsons the Coop furniture shop + Rutherford Sutherlands Joiners/undertakers all in Argyle Sq

marilyn
01-Sep-06, 08:16
:roll: I remember Garroch's shop well the place to get your sweets before going to the Breadalbane picture house! Sheilia Dunnet the hairdresser was in Breadalbane Terrace opposite Garroch's and Dotta Bruce the joiner further down in the crescent. Can't beleive how old I am!!!!

ronmck
01-Sep-06, 14:49
The shop Peter Macdonald couln't remember in Smith Terrace was a wool/haberdashery shop owned by Johanne Bain. Prior to Cameron's betting shop that property was a baker's shop run by George Flett with the bakery just round the corner in Huddart St.

peter macdonald
01-Sep-06, 18:49
Thanks Ron Mac you have put me out of my misery I just could not remember who had that shop re the bakery in Huddart St was it not opposite Skinners buildings??

marilyn
02-Sep-06, 01:19

Was it not Dougie Greens before that or maybe it was after!

robby50x
02-Sep-06, 09:00
i remember connors chippy very well he used to make the chips and then he would steep them in the bath through the house and the bath still had the old tide marks on it

brokencross
02-Sep-06, 10:19
Not really a shop but I remember the John O' Groat Laundry at the corner of Shore lane and Louisburgh Street. It is the warm clean smell I remember.

Murchiemannie
05-Sep-06, 17:48
surprised nobody remembers Bains tobacconist/sweetie shop, on high st. next or near to David Robertson the Drapers.
The smell of all the boiled sweets was mouth watering!!! mingled with the tobacco.
One of my favourites was black striped balls, closly followed by rhubarb rock, not to mention McCowans toffee and if I had an extra penny I went for the Choc. covered toffee. Great for sitting in the "dooks" at the Pvillion.

ronmck
06-Sep-06, 13:17
The laundry in Louisburgh was the Wick Laundry. The John O Groat Laundry was between the High School and Wick Radio Station as you went towards Newton Hill. My uncle worked in that laundry from the time he left school around 1928 until he retired, having been Manager and a Director for many years.The laundry unfortunately closed down about 10 and a half years ago and has now been demolished

ronmck
06-Sep-06, 13:24
Flett's bakery was just on the corner of Smith Tce and Huddart St. Perhaps Peter you are thinking of Emma's as she moved there after she was on the corner of Huddart St and Kinnaird St

ronmck
06-Sep-06, 13:37
Surely I'm not the only person old enough to remember Barbara Bains shop in Back Bridge St. It was a very small shop but absolutely packed with cheap jewellery and was like an aladdin's cave to us youngsters. I seem to recall going there for a falseface for Halloween on a few occasions.

johno
23-Sep-06, 22:25
Let's not forget Adam Swanson - the Cobbler in Tolbooth Lane and the pet shop which used to be on the corner at Louisborough street/Tolbooth lane.
and before the pet shop it was hamish webster,s grocer

johno
23-Sep-06, 22:28
and before presto it was the white chapel & macrea & dicks garage.

johno
23-Sep-06, 22:48
there was a bookies where highland plumbing is in louisburgh st also camerons grocer,later janets.across the road was hamish websters
think jock more the baker was there before the bookie. jock went from the bakery to run the seaforth club in dempster street. then there was harry bowles the baker in the high st & jock green the cycle shop and dan mackay the other cycle shop where the bus stop is now cross the road from the now post office again in high st, not forgetting bowmaker ,fraser the hair dresser
betty lewis the wallpaper shop. banks the wee shop up at the corner of george st, jimmy ross did nt he have a shop at the drome. bertie cardosy in the county cafe, dan thompson the butcher, the ensign shop, dan bain. david robertson, gibby fraser, dane robertson in the coop at coach rd. sandy reid ,grocer.high st. geddes ,s the meal dealers where the99 p shop now is.
used to be a chip shop up the nethercliff lane too. wow am i showing my age now:~(

dirdyweeker
24-Sep-06, 01:10
used to be 'Taylors' fish shop where Meiklejohns sweetie shop is now.
And next door to it was 'Jeans' fruit shop.

Fran
24-Sep-06, 01:59
Does anyone mind when the station hotel when on fire ? and what year was it ?
I remember that well, I stood outside watching and in the redphone box at the town hall reporting it all to MFR as i was a journalist then!

Fran
24-Sep-06, 02:02
That was'nt too long ago icebox..maybe 3 or 4 years ago that stopped..
It wasnt that long ago as Jean (Gibbys widow) continued deliveries by car around wick and stopped doing it a year ago or thereabouts.

Fran
24-Sep-06, 02:05
the shop with the green board is the old boots chemist .
Isn't that the shop which became Azdad videos and now has men living upstairs. (new windows upstairs)

Fran
24-Sep-06, 02:14
I can remember that before Mackays, Fred Shearers was rather like Grace brothers from 'Are You Being Served?'. Up at the Cliff, when Raymond held court, the crack was great. And does anyone remember both Dan Dunnet and George Dunnet's shoe shops?

the old buildings there at Francis Street are to be demolished and single and double flatlets are to be built.

Fran
24-Sep-06, 02:23
there was a small grocers shop in seaforth avenue and a dressmakers shop next door. also the posh dress shop Appearances ) next to the Groat office.I remember the old indian restaurant in high Street and the chinese restaurant in francis Street, also Camps filling station.

Murchiemannie
24-Sep-06, 19:51
I also remember W.D. Geddes and Shearer and Miller I think they both stocked farming feed etc. My Mum used to get her oatmeal from Geddes's.
They were over the road from Bowles the Bakers and Shearer & Miller were opposite Fred Shearers. There was also a small haberdashery shop next to where Nicholson's the grocers was and I think it was called Miller's but I'm going back a lot of years for that one, so memory is not too hot.

dirdyweeker
24-Sep-06, 21:01
the old buildings there at Francis Street are to be demolished and single and double flatlets are to be built.

I remember the old 'chinese' restaurant there very well and the Co-op before it.Still remember using my mum's old 'co-opie' number when you bought anything. It is such an eyesore. When did you hear they were to be knocked down and replaced with flats??

sids
24-Sep-06, 23:12
It was called Sutherlands..:)

Daney Dip's

sids
24-Sep-06, 23:15
Was it not Dougie Greens before that or maybe it was after!

Think it was Fordie's before it was Dougie's and was Charlie Ball's before that.

johno
22-Apr-07, 22:30
Stella Bain,s or we called her witchie was the wee shop where childrens home is now.

Connor had give away free chips as who would pay money for them?
aye i always thought that he got his cooking oil from the county garage up the road when they serviced the trucks.
[lol] [lol]

lelebo
23-Apr-07, 11:59
Somebody might already have posted this but i'm sure I remember a toy shop where the CAB is just now - it was something else upstairs and the toy shop - this is a really vague memory... I must have been really young

DEEKER
23-Apr-07, 20:40
great thread this........................here goes.....i mind toffs clothes shop,where the mortgage shop is,reids the chemist in the attic of the camps book shop at xmas times,later a video arcade and snooker hall,minnie's sweet shop in moray st,then tele-fix,pearl assurance in bridge st,billy moch's video arcade was roughly where lucky 888 takeaway is,graham beggs in shore road,tool hire in coach road where ams is,grover clyne in moray st,clyne the butchers near the heritage centre,currys bridge st,donnie angus butchers,then my dads,barbers and golf shop in bridge st at the ladies mcallans,craft shop in river st,camps petrol station
p.s. the gundy recipe is on the recipe page folks,book your dentist now

Glenys Hirst
23-Apr-07, 22:28
I used to live on coach road back in 1969!...and remember a sweetie shop round the corner...I think it was called Janet's.I lived opposite a wallpaper shop which my friend's dad owned..Donna Sutherland..Is the toyshop still there? Oh...and I remember calling in to a baker's at the top of Coach road..well across the road..I loved calling in on my way home from School.

Torvaig
24-Apr-07, 00:08
Somebody might already have posted this but i'm sure I remember a toy shop where the CAB is just now - it was something else upstairs and the toy shop - this is a really vague memory... I must have been really young
That would be Sutherland's furniture shop (mentioned before I think) aka Danie Dips!

Bill Fernie
24-Apr-07, 10:40
Take a look at photos of few Wick shops I took in 2001 and see what has gone or changed in the past six years

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/wickshops/highstreet/index.htm

More at http://www.caithness.org/atoz/wick/wickshops/highstreet/highstreettwo/index.htm

These were taken with the first digital camera I got to take photos for the web site using floopy disks - how things have changed in a few years.

nessman
24-Apr-07, 13:18
I must be knocking on a bit because i remember when McKays was Shearers.
Graham Beggs Was a Laundromatic.
BEA ( british airways) had an office where the cd counter is now situated in woolworths.
Currys had a shop in Bridge street where the charity shop now stands.

oh ps.....who remembers the giant teddy bear that stood at the top of the stairs in Fred Shearer's ( now McKays)

andrewd
04-May-07, 20:13
hi folks,new to this game so bear with me .I remember Sutherlands toy&furniture shop at the camps,the paper shop next to cafe .I can remember delivering lemonade to nearly all the little shops in the town,but names im stuck on.

parkie
07-May-07, 11:42
co-op,i worked there with the late dan thomson

parkie
07-May-07, 11:54
Hamish Websters grocery shop in Louisburgh, it later became Adam Swansons shoe shop.

Campbells cycle shop in Glamis road.
adam swanson,s shop was next to hamish webster,s

horseman
07-May-07, 13:44
Anyone remember Marjorie Mores clothes shop in Back Bridge Street? If I close my eyes I can still smell that shop!

W
When I saw the thread my first thought was the little shop in back bridge st. Still can't recall the name, but the smell,, as you walked in the door..
Trinkie's tale is absolutely something else!!

Snarfer
15-May-07, 23:26
Not a shop as such, but do you all remember "The Gundy Wifie" in Barrogil St. Getting a few pence and then off on your bike past her house and if she had made gundy it was always in her window. I still look at that window now when passing and virtually tase the gundy. Who makes gundy, I want some!

lin
16-May-07, 03:52
I remember Mrs Gallachers shop in Papigoe. She sold the best ice lollys and sweets ever. Yhe shop is just a boarded up shed now.:( How things have changed.

parkie
16-May-07, 19:16
jimmy bain the barber,s

veritas
16-May-07, 20:47
Before it was Currys Emslie & Simpson was there. and before that Liptons or it may have been next door
I must be knocking on a bit because i remember when McKays was Shearers.
Graham Beggs Was a Laundromatic.
BEA ( british airways) had an office where the cd counter is now situated in woolworths.
Currys had a shop in Bridge street where the charity shop now stands.

oh ps.....who remembers the giant teddy bear that stood at the top of the stairs in Fred Shearer's ( now McKays)

veritas
16-May-07, 20:51
It was a baby shop run by Liz Sutherland (Richards) below was a Frozen Food shop and after that for a while the Record Shop was in there Danny Dips was next door where the Social work office is

johno
17-May-07, 09:33
I used to live on coach road back in 1969!...and remember a sweetie shop round the corner...I think it was called Janet's.I lived opposite a wallpaper shop which my friend's dad owned..Donna Sutherland..Is the toyshop still there? Oh...and I remember calling in to a baker's at the top of Coach road..well across the road..I loved calling in on my way home from School.
calder the baker,s in mid henrietta street

domino
06-Apr-08, 19:36
Peter bain the cobbler, had a wee place at the top right hand corner of Macarthur street just couple of doors up from Wheemsters (Phimisters) which then became the Coop ladies and gents menswear
There was Clara Bulloch's at the Argyll Sq end of Grant st also a gents hairdressers at the corner of Macrae St and grant St
ina Bain had a wee shop in Breadalbae next to the bakery entry

It runs in my mind that in the entry next to Baikies the painters there was an old ships figurehead. Does anyone remember it. i often wondered what happened to it and also where it came from
Domino

balto
06-Apr-08, 20:32
I mind when presto's were templetons and they were in the shops where boots was.

silverfox57
06-Apr-08, 20:49
calder the baker,s in mid henrietta street
david and george calder bakers made small meat pies best in wick,washed down with westerseat full fat milk,happy days,:lol::lol:

peter macdonald
06-Apr-08, 21:15
It runs in my mind that in the entry next to Baikies the painters there was an old ships figurehead. Does anyone remember it. i often wondered what happened to it and also where it came from

Domino It was recovered by Alec MacKay who was watchman at the harbour and given to the Wick Society who made an excellent job of restoring it (I may be wrong but I think Ian MacKenzie did the job) I cannot remember the name of the ship it came from at the moment but she had run aground in Wick Bay and a had become a total loss How it appeared at the back of 18 Huddart St I dont know but the house at one time belonged to a pilot by the name of More so maybe it was his
PM

ciderally
06-Apr-08, 21:22
patty cook's shoe shop...loved looking in the window

peter macdonald
06-Apr-08, 21:26
With Mrs Brookes wool shop just along from it and Willdigs bingo hall behind that and on the way back round Aryglle Sq Tommy Bremners grocers The Coop at the corner of Dempster St Bill Davidsons and at the back of the St Andrews kirk Fordie Sutherlands joiner shop There was another shop on the opposite side of the road to Tommys but its right on the edge of my memory

katarina
13-Apr-08, 10:18
Weel, yir aal tellan yir ages noo! Ah can mind when Janet's shoppie in Louisburgh street wis John Cameron's! An when ah first meerit ah lived in Northcote street and did ma shoppin at Stella's!

dl757
13-Apr-08, 12:16
Does anyone remember Benny Stevens grocer shop in Glamis Road and the co-op where the Kingdom Hall is now?

Poultney lad
13-Apr-08, 20:29
Ecambells Bakery In Demster Street And Next Door Used To Be Murdo Shop, Those Were The Days

domino
13-Apr-08, 20:36

Domino It was recovered by Alec MacKay who was watchman at the harbour and given to the Wick Society who made an excellent job of restoring it (I may be wrong but I think Ian MacKenzie did the job) I cannot remember the name of the ship it came from at the moment but she had run aground in Wick Bay and a had become a total loss How it appeared at the back of 18 Huddart St I dont know but the house at one time belonged to a pilot by the name of More so maybe it was his
PM
Thanks for that. most informative

domino
13-Apr-08, 20:41
Does anyone remember the juke box cafe in McArthur St and about two doors down there was a shop,originally owned by Mr Darling and later by Ray Yellop. Hope I have the right names!!! Also the wee paper shop,maybe next tpo the Mountain Dew run by ?Jimmy Ross

spurtle
13-Apr-08, 21:30
I remember when Fred Shearers was where Mackays is now

It had a mirror on the corner, where we would hide half of ourselves and stick one leg and one hand out (remeber Harry Worth?? same thing!)

silverfox57
14-Apr-08, 19:56
It had a mirror on the corner, where we would hide half of ourselves and stick one leg and one hand out (remeber Harry Worth?? same thing!)
remeber it well:lol:does anyone mind the cedar cafe in the 60ths about 4 or 5 doors along, miss or mrs durrand barred me for 2weeks for beening a bad boy.happy days:lol:

domino
14-Apr-08, 23:09
Not shops,but, does anyone remember a Mr Simpson who had a taxi in Wick.The taxi was kept in a yard at the bottom left of McRae St.? Also the Co-op had a garage in Francis Street and their taxis were Rolls Royces.

ronmck
15-Apr-08, 15:41
I was the first customer in the shop run by Jimmy Ross. Jim Bremner owned the shop and also the Mountain Dew. I think he also had something to do with the lemonade factory in Rutherford St. Jim let me pick whatever I wanted and wouldn't let my mother pay for it. Must have been around 1956 or so

ronmck
15-Apr-08, 15:44
Malcolm Simpson drove the taxi that you have mentioned and as i recall he never seemed to go much over 10 MPH

Average
14-May-08, 00:28
Ah man this thread has brought back so many memories.

I used to go to the Rendezvous every monday with my folks before I started school. I remember the lighting up map thing on main street and the wee boy charity box.

I remember Vista video and a clothes shop underneath it called Togs or something. I remember there was a wee cycle repair shop on a back street near the harbour, near a hairdressers called highlights or something (i think the hairdresser was owned by teacher who drove a Porche). Remember playing Depthcharge in a games arcade up near the cinema. Remember scanning the gala photos in the photographers on shore lane.

rob murray
14-May-08, 16:49
Does anyone remember Benny Stevens grocer shop in Glamis Road and the co-op where the Kingdom Hall is now?

I was a paper boy there...does anyone mind the garden sweet shop ( Joey's ) just down from David Lewis / girnigoe street

silverfox57
14-May-08, 18:58
mind it well rob,joey would sell us a single fag cant mind price,was no laws on sale of fags back then,j happy days

rob murray
15-May-08, 13:29
mind it well rob,joey would sell us a single fag cant mind price,was no laws on sale of fags back then,j happy days

Her man, Sandy I think he was called, used to take a dram and get confused when we'd ask for a whole rake of 1/2 penny sweeties..used to score all the time. Mind you sports mixtures used to be 4 for an old penny so sixpence bought enough to keep you going all day. We used to pinch wee lemonade bottles from the picture house and use them to buy sweeties from Cardossi's in High street.

rob murray
15-May-08, 13:33
Does anyone mind eh clubbie...youth club held under the bridge club church ?

veritas
15-May-08, 19:00
Where the Cancer Shop is now used to be Emslie & Simpson Then Currys. Before that it was a fruit shop run by Cabrelli and before that Liptons before it became Templetons and moved to where Boots is.
There was a Co-op where the Jehovas are in Glamis Road

dl757
15-May-08, 20:10
I remember collecting the coop stamps and getting ten bob (50 pence) _ a small fortune at the time. Also the green shield stamps and fag coupons got you a lot of little luxuries we could not afford at the time.

girnigoe
16-May-08, 19:27
Where the Cancer Shop is now used to be Emslie & Simpson Then Currys. Before that it was a fruit shop run by Cabrelli and before that Liptons before it became Templetons and moved to where Boots is.
There was a Co-op where the Jehovas are in Glamis Road

Wasnt the fruit shop where the corner shop is now???

silverfox57
16-May-08, 20:22
Wasnt the fruit shop where the corner shop is now???
just asked oh says corner shop was fruit shop or next door where a mrs green worked,