PDA

View Full Version : Wick Riverside

bonami
05-Jul-09, 20:40
Has anyone seen the mess around this area recently. We had the grandchildren down there last night at the playarea then the sideshows. The amount of broken glass and empty cans is disgusting and dangerous. There was a group of perhaps 15-20 obvisously underage drinkers at the old quoiting shed scattering litter every where when there was a litter bin alongside them. At the sideshows a youth urinated in clear view of everyone at the boating shed. I hate to imagine what tourists think of our town when they see this remember the caravan site is just across the river and a lot of them walk past this way. Surely it is time the police did a few patrols in this area.

silverfox57
05-Jul-09, 21:05
totally agree with above post,as wick riverside is or could be such a lovely walk,for
locals and tourists a like.

Kevin Milkins
05-Jul-09, 21:13
I enjoy the riverside walk up as far as Lower Gillock and I have to agree with you about the litter and glass laying about.

I walk my dogs up their and us dog owners get enough bad press about being irresponsible and not cleaning up dog dirt.

The council have done a fantasic job making the riverside walk a delight for locals and visiters alike and I see the observation area has even been set alight.

First impressions are not good.:confused

mrjolly
05-Jul-09, 21:22
Has anyone seen the mess around this area recently. We had the grandchildren down there last night at the playarea then the sideshows. The amount of broken glass and empty cans is disgusting and dangerous. There was a group of perhaps 15-20 obvisously underage drinkers at the old quoiting shed scattering litter every where when there was a litter bin alongside them. At the sideshows a youth urinated in clear view of everyone at the boating shed. I hate to imagine what tourists think of our town when they see this remember the caravan site is just across the river and a lot of them walk past this way. Surely it is time the police did a few patrols in this area.yes it is a mess, i will jump to the defence of the youngsters. the bins were all full because i took notice of that, council should empty them more often.

Amy-Winehouse
05-Jul-09, 21:28
Would it not be a better job for community service offenders?? I think the council boys are busy enough without cleaning up even more crap- let them get on with other more pressing jobs & the offenders maybe wont re-offend after picking up dog crap? Just a thought

KCI
05-Jul-09, 22:37
I go for a walk along the river most days with the pram, and I noticed that it looked worse the last few days.
There is so much rubbish lying around, and it just looks so horrible. The riverside is a lovely walk, but it is being ruined by litter, broken glass and dog's dirt. It's bad enough for locals to see this, but even worse for the tourists.

TracyB
06-Jul-09, 09:36
Its an absolute mess in front of the sheds at the moment! We took our liittle boy a walk yesterday to the park and couldnt believe the mess! There are several green wheelie bins around Somerfield car park that they could easily dump their rubbish in. Theres no excuse for the sheer amount of rubbish![evil]

weeksider
06-Jul-09, 11:44
Was down there yesterday early in morning , there was rubbish scattered papers , plastic bottles ,empty cans,pizza boxes etc lying around the boating shed as the black bin is lipping of rubbish ,looks bad for visitors to camp site or persons out a walk around riverside to see this and the kiteing shed had paper cuttings lying all around it too.

Invisible
06-Jul-09, 14:00
I noticed it on Sunday morning when I went for a walk round there. If i wasnt so hungover i may have tidied some of it up.
I wouldn't say it was "obviously" teenagers.

philupmaboug
06-Jul-09, 15:15
Amy Winehouse...the offenders are the ones that dont pick up their own dog dirt, why make someone else do it?
If you have community service offenders pick up the litter you give the council officials another reason to cut labour numbers and pay off the council employees who could be allocated this job to keep them busy and not make them a target for cutbacks.

Amy-Winehouse
06-Jul-09, 17:18
I was under the impression they`d be laying off staff soon anyway as they had to make cuts of £100 million, as I said, just a suggestion . I cant see why the community service attendees cant do it, its not as if theres a shortage of them in Wick.

ClachanHope
06-Jul-09, 18:20
I agree that the riverside is a mess and it's a shame. I walk my dogs along there,(although not as often now cos of the mess & litter) and I ALWAYS pick up after them, as dog dirt lying around disgusts me. So I'd hate to think how non-dog owners feel about it. I have also found that sometimes when I go to the dog poop bin to put my baggie into it, it is full to the brim. How often are these bins emptied.? Surely it should be once maybe twice a week at this time of year when tourists are walking their dogs too.
And as for Bignold Park, I never take my dogs there now as it is full of dog poop. Every second step there's dog poop. Do the people of Wick not have any respect for their town??

bonami
06-Jul-09, 20:56
I suppose the dogs are only doing what they consider normal although it can be very nasty underfoot. But dogs dont drink out of bottles then break them leaving broken glass scattered around and I dont think they are very keen on lager or cider.

milkman
06-Jul-09, 21:29
the under age drinking seems to be a real problem in the town but every one seems to think it is acceptable and the mess they make (wheres the police):~(

Invisible
06-Jul-09, 21:55
the under age drinking seems to be a real problem in the town but every one seems to think it is acceptable and the mess they make (wheres the police):~(

where's the police?[lol] haha thats a good one

bobbyrussell09
07-Jul-09, 00:59
last seen heading to tesco for the morning donut run,usually at bout 5 past 7 in the morn

bobbyrussell09
07-Jul-09, 01:03
the police are utterly useless,they harass people having fun and not the ones being fools.this is the same police that couldnt find out who broke my fiances wing mirror an there was a cctv cam not even 7 meters away

PantsMAN
07-Jul-09, 09:20
I assume no-one on this thread ever had a wee under-age drinky when their were under-age? ;)
Oh but I expect that was different? :lol:

Kevin Milkins
07-Jul-09, 09:36
I assume no-one on this thread ever had a wee under-age drinky when their were under-age? ;)
Oh but I expect that was different? :lol:

I am sure that no one would deny having a drink before the legal age or would be against anyone enjoying themselves, but the thread is about the mess down at the riverside.

With a side show in town you would expect a bit more than average litter, however this local problem digs a lot deeper than an isolated incedent and the ammount of rubbish and litter strewn about (in and out of the river) does Wick a great deal of harm, both to first impressions on the visitor to the town and to the people that like to enjoy the facilties that have been put in place for them.

shamrock2007
17-Jul-09, 21:21
The riverside area of Wick has gone down hill dramatically. I spent all of my youth down there playing. Its now so overgrow, dirty & uncared for. We used to have sausage sizzles with the brownies in the middle. The broken glass is awful. Its an accident waiting to happen & when it does it will be a bad one. It makes Wick look bad esp with the camp site up there what must visitors think?

catran
17-Jul-09, 21:49
Would it not be a better job for community service offenders?? I think the council boys are busy enough without cleaning up even more crap- let them get on with other more pressing jobs & the offenders maybe wont re-offend after picking up dog crap? Just a thought
Council boys busy??????? Come on now.........:lol:

katarina
18-Jul-09, 12:59
I agree with all the above posts. there is a bin at the quoiting shed, and is usually empty cos all the litter and bottles are lying on the ground. I have even seen broken glass in the children's playground. Dog mess appears to have always been, and will continue to be a problem. On recent visits to Canada and the USA everywhere was so clean. On the spot fines are implemented and do work. We will continue to have this problem until the same thing happens here.
And another thought - why not get those folk who are getting money for nothing to do a bit of clearing up?