PDA

View Full Version : shops in thurso

Pages : [1] 2

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 17:42
Autoparts has bought LED's old place and that got me thinking about shops that use to be

i mind when the highland hospice was a sweetie shop

cancer shop was curry's

Morrisons has a wee shop in Dunnet road and the chippie/cafe down the street, i think it is the solicitors now

anyone know anymore????

ice box
19-Mar-06, 17:45
Sorry i dont live in thurso i dont know what shops were what but i can tell you what one were in wick .

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 17:51
Go on then [para]

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 17:53
Oh William wilsons was

DJ Tyres

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 17:53
Cardosies in Princess Street was the County Stores. Beauty through Herbs was Shearers Butchers. Gunns shoeshop was Angus butchers. Haralds butchers was grocery shop. Butresss was (on left) chip shop (on right) Ironmonger. Behind cairngorm windows was Mackenzies fish shop. Old Prestos was YWCA. Many more memories. too many to mention

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 17:57
The Chinese next to the Post Office used to be:
The Pie Shop
Hughes Moter bike shop
Iqbals Indian/Wine Bar

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 17:57
i mind the butchers where beauty through herbs was, but its not even beauty through herbs now either

Barry the dentist owns it but its still therapy stuff etc but i don't know what its called

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 17:58
Mackays used to be Fred Shearers

Ali
19-Mar-06, 17:59
Showing your age now Lindsay !!
lol

wee_fuzzy_kitty
19-Mar-06, 18:00
Good Vibrations in the Precinct used to be a kids clothes shop, cant remember what it was called tho :D

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 18:01
:lol: I know but i have a while til i catch up with you :lol:

Ali
19-Mar-06, 18:04
But I'm only 34 !!

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:05
Graham Beggs used to be Clarks Music Shop.

FS Beggs Gallery used to be the Milk Marketing Board, and it had a cracking machine outside that used to do little cartons of milk, both plain and flavoured.....so long ago that probably Gleber2 bought a carton from it.

Ali
19-Mar-06, 18:05
Was there a chinese restaurant near Elizabeths shop somewhere? I seem to remember one there ?

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:07
Downstairs was the CHINKIES bar - sadly missed, upstairs for the food.......but before that it was a car showroom.

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 18:07
Don't know about that but brass's had a cafe next door when i 1st moved to thurso but it is a flat now

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:08
The TSB used to be Miller Calders.

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:10
The shop right on the corner at the traffic lights - last time I was home it was some glass wear place used to be a Tobacconist.

The shop at the end of the Bridge that does Lights and stuff now, used to be Bruces general store.

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 18:10
Shop above hairdressers in Grove Lane was RBL Thurso Branch. Also bookies at one time if I remember correctly. The Beaks was the dole. The Coop was the gas works. The arcade had houses and Souters bakery. Woolies was a house

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 18:11
Downstairs was the CHINKIES bar - sadly missed, upstairs for the food.......but before that it was a car showroom.

Oh yeah thats right great food there

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 18:13
Mount Pleasant School was Cows park. The name was being considered for use for the school. COWS SCHOOL[lol] [lol] [lol]

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:13
What about pubs that are no more:

Sheiling
Marine
Main Brace
Rod & Line
Chinkies
Helmsman

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:15
Henderson the Opticians was Gordon the Butchers (wasn't it Pepsi;))

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:17
Top Joes bar used to be Hepworths.

The big Chemist (Sutherlands?) used to be Anderson the Iron Mongers.

The surf shop at the harbour used to be the Ship Chandlers.

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:20
I seem to recall the Newmarket Bar (also being the Viking, Stardust etc) being some sort of boutique......was it called Impact or something?

Best of all and sadly missed is the Princes Cafe, now Sandras backpacker place.

wee_fuzzy_kitty
19-Mar-06, 18:22
Sandras backpacker place used to be a computer game shop too :lol:

flash
19-Mar-06, 18:22
Don't know about that but brass's had a cafe next door when i 1st moved to thurso but it is a flat now

Brass's used to be Bottom Joe's, I mind the cafe, and the chippie next door

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:23
In the days long before Computers it was the Princes Cafe - great place.

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:24
The Chip shop next door was Budges, way further up the street was Stephens Chipper.

moose and Lindsay
19-Mar-06, 18:26

Sheiling
Marine
Main Brace
Rod & Line
Chinkies
Helmsman

One up with station taxi's below

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 18:33
where elizabeths is now used to be a garage / petrol station. Big Ian Gun used to work there. I remember the milk machine at the toll. Strawberry was my fav. Toilets at riverside used to be engeneering shed. Used to get our sled runners from them. Dunnets showroom was fish smoke shed. (mackenzies i think). Hydro shop was farm services store (food etc) Bews Butchers WAS bews Butchers (now Mackays) The railway station had a shop.

ice box
19-Mar-06, 18:33
Well in wick old Curry's is now the cancer shop , old prestos is now boots semi chem used to be a café Jasmine is now Chinese Conner paper shop used to be a fruit grocers come on you wick lot theres more .

connieb19
19-Mar-06, 18:38
Well in wick old Curry's is now the cancer shop , old prestos is now boots semi chem used to be a café Jasmine is now Chinese Conner paper shop used to be a fruit grocers come on you wick lot theres more .College used to be a paper shop. Where the yard is used to be a sports shop. CAB used to be the music shop with Jack Shearers DIY downstairs. Aand D's used to be youngs toy shop.

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 18:39
before the princess cafe (budges) it was Fahilies

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:39
Pentland Sports Emporium next to the Comm (was a 2nd hand book shop last time I was in Thurso)

Right who can tell me where the County Stores were? And what the Pet shop used to be.......actually also where the Pet shop used to be.

Anyone remember Mac Mowats bike shop?

Royster1911
19-Mar-06, 18:48
County stores. Princess Street. Pet shop. Olrig Street. Pet shop now used to be many things, Cafe, hardware rental (sj&d robertson) frozen foods. Do I get any points for my answers????[smirk]

scotsboy
19-Mar-06, 18:50
You know yer stuff Royster - I thought the Princes Cafe was the Princes Cafe when the Fehilly's had it?
Did you know Bill Fehilly Gleber2? Pretty sure he managed the Sensational Alex Harvey Band and Nazareth.

laguna2
19-Mar-06, 18:52
Didn't the Pet shop used to be near the Police Station

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:17
Before Budges Chippy it was Billy Brass's Chip Shop & restaraunt.

mareng
19-Mar-06, 19:18

Sheiling
Marine
Main Brace
Rod & Line
Chinkies
Helmsman

Nope - You've got me.......... Where was the "Mainbrace"? I remember the others.

Was I that drunk?

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:19
where elizabeths is now used to be a garage / petrol station. Big Ian Gun used to work there. I remember the milk machine at the toll. Strawberry was my fav. Toilets at riverside used to be engeneering shed. Used to get our sled runners from them. Dunnets showroom was fish smoke shed. (mackenzies i think). Hydro shop was farm services store (food etc) Bews Butchers WAS bews Butchers (now Mackays) The railway station had a shop.
There used to be another of these Milk machines on the side of Johnston's shop.

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:21
Good Vibrations in the Precinct used to be a kids clothes shop, cant remember what it was called tho :D
Before that it was Williamson's Shoe Shop ~ a lovely old man he was.

mareng
19-Mar-06, 19:24
Pentland Sports Emporium next to the Comm (was a 2nd hand book shop last time I was in Thurso)

Right who can tell me where the County Stores were? And what the Pet shop used to be.......actually also where the Pet shop used to be.

Anyone remember Mac Mowats bike shop?

Mac Mowat's - that's going back around 40 years? It was the upper part of Hornes (now the new electrical shop Alacam?)

County Stores and Pentland Sports Emporium (is "Emporium" still in the dictionary?) were like Alladin's cave to a young lad.

I seem to remember it was sunny in the summer back then!

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 19:24
If I mind right was the Mainbrace not the public bar of the Pentland????? Used to be a lassie from Buckie area used to work there I think
But where was the rod and line??????? "I was a Marine sort of person u know" (Good beer and good yarns)

mareng
19-Mar-06, 19:30
Rod & Line was where John Barry's dental surgery is. (Bridgend)

What was there years ago? There was a low window onto the pavement that had small model fishing boats or something?

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:31
County stores. Princess Street. Pet shop. Olrig Street. Pet shop now used to be many things, Cafe, hardware rental (sj&d robertson) frozen foods. Do I get any points for my answers????[smirk]
Before the Frozen Food shop, Jim Ferrier had a grocers there. He then moved (as a Newsagents) to where the Pentland Hotel has their lounge bar and later moved across the road to where Blacks was.

ice box
19-Mar-06, 19:32
College used to be a paper shop. Where the yard is used to be a sports shop. CAB used to be the music shop with Jack Shearers DIY downstairs. Aand D's used to be youngs toy shop.
thats before my time connie i remmeber the college being a arcade and the cab being freezer shop then mother care do you remmeber the paper shop were the council office is ?

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:33
Rod & Line was where John Barry's dental surgery is. (Bridgend)

What was there years ago? There was a low window onto the pavement that had small model fishing boats or something?
The Working Mens Club was in there.

peter macdonald
19-Mar-06, 19:35
Thanks Mareng Id completely forgotten about that one

mareng
19-Mar-06, 19:42
The Working Mens Club was in there.

Did that go back to the mid-sixties though? Was it something to do with the Tourist Board back then? I can still see these small boats and net curtains??

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:43
Not sure when it became the Working mens Club - late sixties early seventies.

Buttercup
19-Mar-06, 19:47
Henderson the Opticians was Gordon the Butchers (wasn't it Pepsi;))
Before the butchers it was "The Hole in the Wall" Boutique, and the Boutique where the Newmarket is was called "Tiffany's".

Billy Boy
19-Mar-06, 22:39
does anyone else remember buying single fags from Danny Craigs in the arcade.
I used to get gurned at on a regular basis for being a cheeky *"@*":lol:

Billy Boy
19-Mar-06, 22:48
i remember paul the barbers across from the sinclair hotel ( where we used to buy our johnnies) takes me back to my teenage years fags & johnnies[lol]

Absolut1
19-Mar-06, 23:11
ahh bews when the chickens roasted outside was great,
billy the butchers in dunnet road with omands shop round corner,
CLB being the brickworks,
banks clothes shop in the square,
the tasty bite, the my the gas place, now chinese.
ABC video where sandras is
danny craigs best ice cream in caithness even is he was always grumpy towards us
durrans when it was in the precinct
ships wheel where the bistro is

unicorn
19-Mar-06, 23:13
I loved the chips and tomato sauce in the tasty bite yummmmmmm

willowbankbear
19-Mar-06, 23:44
I remember playing football in Thurso for Eastend, 25 years ago & going to a sweetie shop ,I think it was Brass? opposite woolies and there was a chippy next door, there was also a chippy on the road at the back of the police station, was it any good?

unicorn
19-Mar-06, 23:48
Was that not budges that had the chippy and cafe? and the shop was bottom cardosi's.

kwbrown111
19-Mar-06, 23:49
ah, the shop in mount vernon where goldie used to greet you. poor dog got knocked down one day. broke my heart. used to get broken into regular. caught one by following the trail of fags to house

DrSzin
20-Mar-06, 02:27
If I mind right was the Mainbrace not the public bar of the Pentland????? Used to be a lassie from Buckie area used to work there I think
But where was the rod and line??????? "I was a Marine sort of person u know" (Good beer and good yarns)Yup, the Mainbrace was the Pentland's public bar. The entrance was in a side street if I remember rightly. The Marine was the stuff of legend. Nah, not really, but it was kinda special though.

I don't remember the Rod and Line either.

rs 2k
20-Mar-06, 02:56
here is a few others folk may remember(mid sixties - early eighties).
harpers when it was beside woodbees in sinclair street,
pentland printers beside harpers (they were also at the top of durness st just up from stevens chipper)bokko did try and revive this chipper in the mid 80s.
betty riddles toy shop were harpers is now!.
tillys cafe & hughes bike shop beside the old post office.
hamish camerons across the road from the old post office.
nobles flower and fruit shop were the social sercurity office on the corner of the precinct is.
mckenzies clothes shop were the back door of the grove lounge is now.
tommy allans shop across from the pentland hotel.
autoparts when it first got started with choch & mike ried, were the mortgage shop is in princes st is now.
durrans craft shop was in a few places i can remember it being where the health food shop is in princes st is and also at sams old bike shop(used to be a tea room)
all the years that i was doing the milk rounds keeps these places fresh in my mind not to mention the half three starts!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

mareng
20-Mar-06, 03:08
Think the Rod & Line was owned by Maitlands Painters family, but didn't prove to be too popular and closed within a short period.

The Viking Lounge- that takes me back!

What about the chip shop at the top of Durness St - Was it owned by Trevor Chadwick's father? It was great in its day.

Remember when there was a milk vending machine outside what is now the Toll Gallery? It belonged to Pennyland Dairy, I think? You can still see the recess in the wall where it stood.

Buttercup
20-Mar-06, 17:08
Think the Rod & Line was owned by Maitlands Painters family, but didn't prove to be too popular and closed within a short period.

The Viking Lounge- that takes me back!

What about the chip shop at the top of Durness St - Was it owned by Trevor Chadwick's father? It was great in its day.

Remember when there was a milk vending machine outside what is now the Toll Gallery? It belonged to Pennyland Dairy, I think? You can still see the recess in the wall where it stood.
The Durness St Chip shop was owned by Billy Stephen who run it for many years before moving back to Orkney.
The Toll was Thurso East Dairy.
Anyone remember the old man who had a Jewellers in Traill street (up to the mid 60's) round about where Robertsons (the solicitors) is? Omands Grocers was slightly further up, about Sinclairs shoe shop, there was always the lovely smell of Coffee Beans in there.

mareng
20-Mar-06, 19:14
The Durness St Chip shop was owned by Billy Stephen who run it for many years before moving back to Orkney.
The Toll was Thurso East Dairy.
Anyone remember the old man who had a Jewellers in Traill street (up to the mid 60's) round about where Robertsons (the solicitors) is? Omands Grocers was slightly further up, about Sinclairs shoe shop, there was always the lovely smell of Coffee Beans in there.

Ahah! Thanks for the correction - did the dairy own the Toll then?

Buttercup
20-Mar-06, 19:30
Ahah! Thanks for the correction - did the dairy own the Toll then?
I think so, I vividly remember buying "lemonade tablets" there regularly - we thought yhey were the bees knees!

gleeber
20-Mar-06, 20:42
His name was George Anderson and he was a brother of Andersons the ironmongers which is now the chemists beside the central

Buttercup
20-Mar-06, 21:12
Thanks Gleeber, I remember him so clearly, he looked like he'd stepped straight out of the Victorian/Edwardian era.

jay
21-Mar-06, 14:32
to go back to the Princes cafe - was that also the tasty bite or was that next door? Did James Scott the electricians not have a shop and workshop there many years ago

Errogie
21-Mar-06, 18:14
Does anyone remember John Gunn the Jewellers on Princes Street and Macadie's on Trail Street where my Dad got his Peas Brose, and who remembers the ornamental iron horse trough outside the bank at the end of Princes Street?

scotsboy
21-Mar-06, 18:50
Gusy Simpsons bakers in the Arcade - meat an ingans, dont think you get them anywhere else!!Tasted good after a dance in the town hall.

Where A&D Mackays furniture shop is down at the harbour used to be the Crab factory........anyone remember all the scallop shells lying outside it?

peter macdonald
21-Mar-06, 19:59
Scotsboy your taking me back re Gussie Simpsons..tasted great at the time but heartburn ......or was that something else i had eaten or drank!!

Buttercup
22-Mar-06, 00:18
Gusy Simpsons bakers in the Arcade - meat an ingans, dont think you get them anywhere else!!Tasted good after a dance in the town hall.

Where A&D Mackays furniture shop is down at the harbour used to be the Crab factory........anyone remember all the scallop shells lying outside it?

Don't mention the Crab Factory, I remember working in it during the school holidays and Saturday mornings - 2/6 an hour was the going rate for the Saturday morning though the holidays were piece-work. We used to stink but the crack was well worth it![lol]

simpsoney
22-Mar-06, 15:11
Above Sandra's used to be K2 Konsoles, Through the back of Cardosi's shop on the Corner used to be a games room.Whatsits was an ice cream shop. Thats all that comes to mind.

Oh Scottish Hydro Electric shop - was told a long time ago it was a barber's

scotsboy
22-Mar-06, 15:15
Anyone remember TeesyWeesy the barbers?

Karen M26a
22-Mar-06, 16:04
Pentland Housing - used to be Andersons hardware shop (run by the twins) on Rotterdam street.

Stevens chipper - Durness street.

Nobles in the precinct - did it use to be a green grocers/Mace?

Charlie Chan's - was the Fountain restaurant

Raffles - was Ferriers newsagents, and previously Allens the grocers?

North of Scotland Newspapers - was the petshop?

Cairngorm Windows - was Durrands (durrands moved next to Cards n' things)

More Store - was the the Supermarket (Coop)?

Smi-chem/Gift shop next door - used to be Presto's supermarket.

Buttercup
22-Mar-06, 16:44
Pentland Housing - used to be Andersons hardware shop (run by the twins) on Rotterdam street.

Raffles was Ferriers but before that it was Black's (Ladieswear). Tommy Allen used to run the shop next door - K Sutherland grocers (where the Hospice shop is now).

Buttercup
22-Mar-06, 16:48

Where Nobles now is used to be (before it was all rebuilt) Liptons, who then moved to where Semi-Chem & gift shop are, they were taken over by Templetons then by Prestos, then Safeway.

Errogie
22-Mar-06, 17:49
Does anyone remember Cambell's sweetie shop next to Tommy Allan's in Princes Street. They used to sell cigarettes (Woodbines) individually to school boys!

Buttercup
22-Mar-06, 18:11
Does anyone remember Cambell's sweetie shop next to Tommy Allan's in Princes Street. They used to sell cigarettes (Woodbines) individually to school boys!
Wasn't Campbells across the road from Tommy Allen's in one of the shops that were later intigrated into the Pentland Hotel?

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Mar-06, 18:25
Top Joes used to be Hepworths. It was like the shop in Mr. Benn. And only one solitary lightbulb to light the place, too.

Sporran
22-Mar-06, 19:25
Wasn't Campbells across the road from Tommy Allen's in one of the shops that were later intigrated into the Pentland Hotel?
I can remember when Tommy Allen's grocery shop was at the very end of what is now part of the Pentland Hotel, just across from the church. I'm talking waaay back here, in the late 1950s, early 1960s. Campbells the sweetie shop was right next to it. By the mid 1970s, Janette's the hairdresser was where Tommy's used to be, but I think there had been something else there in between times. A bicycle shop, perhaps? I also remember when Campbells was taken over by Ferriers the newsagents, before they moved across the street to what used to be Blacks, a womens clothing shop, in the 70s.

obalam
22-Mar-06, 19:33
There used to be a supermarket called the U Save in the now Pet Shop at the bottom of Castlegreen Road and a Sheepskin Shop called Balnakeil in the now Cairngorm Windows shop.

Sporran
22-Mar-06, 19:36
Top Joes used to be Hepworths. It was like the shop in Mr. Benn. And only one solitary lightbulb to light the place, too.
I thought Hepworths, the mens outfitters, used to be where MacGregor's the chemist was, which was right next to Top Joe's. I remember it being dimly lit too!

dragonfly
22-Mar-06, 21:10
Hepworths and McGregors chemist were next door to each other. Top Joes bought Hepworths and then later the chemists and knocked the two together.

Anyone remember the Gearbox boutique? can remember getting a pair of Brutus jeans out of there and thinking I was the bees knees, but can't quite remember where it was - I have a vision of it being up a side street, somewhere like where Janettes hairdressers is??

DrSzin
22-Mar-06, 21:45
Let's get a bit more obscure and a bit less Olde Worlde...

Anyone else remember Brigitte's hairdresser on the corner of Castlegreen Road - right opposite the station?

I once went in there in the early 70s when disgustingly-manky shoulder-length hair was de rigeur amongst Thurso's youth. I was fed up having it long and unkempt, and the lady of the salon wanted to experiment, so I let her cut off the lot. The new style was short around the sides and combed back to stand kinda-wild on top. It wouldn't look too out-of-place in 2006, but I was a total alien in long-and-manky-haired Thurso in the 70s. Gawd, did I get the ribbing of all ribbings at school the next day? Not only was my hair many, many inches shorter than almost everyone else's, but I'd had it cut at a woman's hairdresser! Gawd, the indignity of it! But I went back to her every time until she closed down. :)

Curiously, my current style ain't so different - a bit shorter perhaps, but the thought's still there.

Anyone know what became of Brigitte?

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Mar-06, 06:21
scotsboy, I ken every place you've mentioned so far. The motorbike shop on Sinclair Street (where the Chinese is now): I used to sit on a wee, white Yamaha scrambler while my brothers went inside to get their bikes fixed.

And aye, the opticians on George St/ Brabster St was indeed the D & C Gordon Butcher shop. I used to make hamburgers and sausages, sweep up and distribute the sawdust. I think I grew up eating cold meat sandwiches. Halcyon days. If we around now we'd get shut down. Butcher shops are too clean these days. I jest, of course.

My best friends were the kids of the people who owned the Chinese across the road. I used to go in there and play Bombjack and Pacland nearly every day, and would often play pool on a Wednesday night, drinking some blackcurrent cordial while Knight Rider was on the telly. As you rightly say, it used to be a garage; an extra storey was added when the Wong family arrived.

And what was the official name of the cafe next to Bottom Joes?

Sporran
23-Mar-06, 06:40
Let's get a bit more obscure and a bit less Olde Worlde...

Anyone else remember Brigitte's hairdresser on the corner of Castlegreen Road - right opposite the station?

I once went in there in the early 70s when disgustingly-manky shoulder-length hair was de rigeur amongst Thurso's youth. I was fed up having it long and unkempt, and the lady of the salon wanted to experiment, so I let her cut off the lot. The new style was short around the sides and combed back to stand kinda-wild on top. It wouldn't look too out-of-place in 2006, but I was a total alien in long-and-manky-haired Thurso in the 70s. Gawd, did I get the ribbing of all ribbings at school the next day? Not only was my hair many, many inches shorter than almost everyone else's, but I'd had it cut at a woman's hairdresser! Gawd, the indignity of it! But I went back to her every time until she closed down. :)

Curiously, my current style ain't so different - a bit shorter perhaps, but the thought's still there.

Anyone know what became of Brigitte?

I remember Brigitte's hairdresser too, although I never went there. That was where Ferrier's the newsagent was, before they moved further down Princes Street to where Black's was. Next door was the West End Cafe, owned by Howard Bremner. That was a popular hang out for teenagers from Thurso High School, who sometimes nipped down there at lunchtime, or after school. And, dear doctor, I can even remember what was there prior that building, as that was before you moved to Thurso! There was a row of adjoining cottages, which looked rather quaint. Rich and Gleeber will remember them, I've no doubt.

Sporran
23-Mar-06, 07:37
And what was the official name of the cafe next to Bottom Joes?
Well, if by Bottom Joes you mean the cafe across from Woolworths, then that was Cardosi's Cafe. As you faced the cafe, Brass the chip shop was to the left, and Mackay's the butcher was to the right. The official name of Top Joes cafe was the Central Cafe. Across the street from there was the Ship's Wheel antique shop. What was the name of the small grocery shop next to it? Next door was McBeath's the jeweller, then Johnston's the bakery.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Mar-06, 07:57
What about the sweetie shop on Traill Street, located directly opposite The Royal and next to Sinclairs? I remember it selling very classic looking sweets, no Mars bars or Rolos or things like that. An elderly women used to work there but I know little else about it. A name for the shop?

airdlass
23-Mar-06, 08:44
Well, if by Bottom Joes you mean the cafe across from Woolworths, then that was Cardosi's Cafe. As you faced the cafe, Brass the chip shop was to the left, and Mackay's the butcher was to the right. The official name of Top Joes cafe was the Central Cafe. Across the street from there was the Ship's Wheel antique shop. What was the name of the small grocery shop next to it? Next door was McBeath's the jeweller, then Johnston's the bakery.
As a kid we used to have to endure a two and a half hour bus journey courtesy of Highland Omnibus to come into Thurso on a Saturday. We thought we were so grown up to be allowed without our parents! We always went to Cardosi's for our lunch,usually a mixed grill! That was the highlight of our visit along with spending all our hard end cash in Woolies and the Music shop.
Happy Days!

Sporran
24-Mar-06, 18:57
As a kid we used to have to endure a two and a half hour bus journey courtesy of Highland Omnibus to come into Thurso on a Saturday. We thought we were so grown up to be allowed without our parents! We always went to Cardosi's for our lunch,usually a mixed grill! That was the highlight of our visit along with spending all our hard end cash in Woolies and the Music shop.
Happy Days!

When I went to Thurso High school, my friends and I used to go doon toon every Saturday afternoon, and we'd always go to Woolies and the Music Shop in the Arcade too. The day was not complete without a cup of coffee and a biscuit at Cardosi's cafe! We were delighted when a trendy boutique was opened in Grove Lane, circa 1970. It was round the corner from Clark's music shop, in the same building, but upstairs. It was either called the Upper Boutique, or the Unique Boutique. It was run by the wife of Willie Arif, who owned the original Weigh Inn. The shop was a blessing for us teenage girls back then, as we often ended up buying fashionable clothes from mail order catalogues, prior to that!

scotsboy
24-Mar-06, 19:00
Anyone remember the Gear Box? Great for yer Birmingham Bags and 3 star jerseys, Brutus tee sirts etc.

Sporran
24-Mar-06, 19:05
The name sounds familiar, Scotsboy! What street was it on?

scotsboy
24-Mar-06, 19:17
I'll give ye a clue - it is a hairdressers now.....or it was the last time I was home (I think)

Sporran
24-Mar-06, 19:20
I seem to recall the Newmarket Bar (also being the Viking, Stardust etc) being some sort of boutique......was it called Impact or something?

Best of all and sadly missed is the Princes Cafe, now Sandras backpacker place.

Yes, the Impact Boutique was next to the Royal Hotel. It was a bit more upmarket than the boutique on Grove Lane.

scotsboy
24-Mar-06, 19:27
The Gear Box was in Cowie Lane.

Sporran
24-Mar-06, 19:34
I'll give ye a clue - it is a hairdressers now.....or it was the last time I was home (I think)

Hmmm, well, it's a number of years since I've been to Thurso, so I probably don't know which hairdressers you're talking about!

Here's a wee test for you, Scotsboy, or anybody else who cares to answer. Do you remember the name of the shop that used to be where the Regency Jewellers is on Rotterdam Street? Prior to that, this shop was where the Red Cross is now, next to J Gunn's, which used to be Angus the butchers.

Buttercup
24-Mar-06, 20:25
Hmmm, well, it's a number of years since I've been to Thurso, so I probably don't know which hairdressers you're talking about!

Here's a wee test for you, Scotsboy, or anybody else who cares to answer. Do you remember the name of the shop that used to be where the Regency Jewellers is on Rotterdam Street? Prior to that, this shop was where the Red Cross is now, next to J Gunn's, which used to be Angus the butchers.
That would be Fiddlers. But what was the name of the Gent's outfitters that was there before them? Was it Jacks?

dragonfly
24-Mar-06, 20:30
That would be Fiddlers. But what was the name of the Gent's outfitters that was there before them? Was it Jacks?

was that George Downies?

Buttercup
24-Mar-06, 20:31
was that George Downies?
Wasn't downies further down, where McAllan's is now?

Sporran
26-Mar-06, 05:32

Well done, Buttercup, it was Fiddlers! :o) They sold ornaments and toys also, if I remember correctly. It was indeed Jacks there on Rotterdam Street prior to that. You're also right about George Downies being where McAllans is now!

Here's another question, folkies. I remember there used to be a tobacconist next to Sir John's Square on Traill Street, which was across from Hamish Camerons on the corner. But I can't remember its name! I think Budge the draper moved there afterwards, or at least expanded their existing shop into it.

Buttercup
26-Mar-06, 14:30
Well done, Buttercup, it was Fiddlers! :o) They sold ornaments and toys also, if I remember correctly. It was indeed Jacks there on Rotterdam Street prior to that. You're also right about George Downies being where McAllans is now!

Here's another question, folkies. I remember there used to be a tobacconist next to Sir John's Square on Traill Street, which was across from Hamish Camerons on the corner. But I can't remember its name! I think Budge the draper moved there afterwards, or at least expanded their existing shop into it.
It was just called "The Corner Shop" and you could pick your favourite individual choclates. Do you remember Bain & Gibson's in where that derelect building is now in Sir John's Square, Chadwicks down beside Liptons, and Kaye's above Clarks?

lorr_mun14
27-Mar-06, 15:30
this is great, brings back loads of old memories. The sweetie shop/grocer that used to be where the Highland Hospice is now was run by Tommy Allan, can anyone tell me if he is still alive, I thought I seen him the other day? Also, not a shop, but does anyone remember the Main Brace, man's bar round the corner from the Pentland Hotel, and also there used to be a launderette somewhere in what is now the Pentland hotel. There was one very classy (at the time) boutique where the Newmarket is now, but I think it possibly took up the bookies as well right down to the corner, I have been trying to remember the name for ages? I remember an ironmongers shop somewhere in the vicinity of Buttresses clothes shop. Durrands (beside card's n things) used to be a shoe shop and where Waters paint shop is now, that also used to be a shoe shop! What about the littel cafe up where (I think) watsits is now, was it Danny Bews's shop, fantastic ice cream. Where Cardosis have their video/sweet shop now on Princes Street, well, that used to be a sweetie shop years ago, where I used to go and spend my 50p pocket money on cinamon tatties!!

Buttercup
27-Mar-06, 17:18
this is great, brings back loads of old memories. The sweetie shop/grocer that used to be where the Highland Hospice is now was run by Tommy Allan, can anyone tell me if he is still alive, I thought I seen him the other day? Also, not a shop, but does anyone remember the Main Brace, man's bar round the corner from the Pentland Hotel, and also there used to be a launderette somewhere in what is now the Pentland hotel. There was one very classy (at the time) boutique where the Newmarket is now, but I think it possibly took up the bookies as well right down to the corner, I have been trying to remember the name for ages? I remember an ironmongers shop somewhere in the vicinity of Buttresses clothes shop. Durrands (beside card's n things) used to be a shoe shop and where Waters paint shop is now, that also used to be a shoe shop! What about the littel cafe up where (I think) watsits is now, was it Danny Bews's shop, fantastic ice cream. Where Cardosis have their video/sweet shop now on Princes Street, well, that used to be a sweetie shop years ago, where I used to go and spend my 50p pocket money on cinamon tatties!!

Sadly, Tommy Allen died a few years back, he always reminded me of the Tetly Tea Man in the advert!
Danny Craig's was the Ice cream shop/cafe in the arcade.
Miller's shoe shop changed to Durran's and if I remember right wasn't it Gunn's that was where Waters is?

Sporran
28-Mar-06, 18:42
It was just called "The Corner Shop" and you could pick your favourite individual choclates. Do you remember Bain & Gibson's in where that derelect building is now in Sir John's Square, Chadwicks down beside Liptons, and Kaye's above Clarks?

Thanks for jogging my memory, Buttercup! I'd forgotten about the chocolates! Yes, I remember Bain & Gibson's being in Sir John's Square. Also Chadwick's being on Rotterdam Street, between Fiddlers and Lipton's supermarket, which later became Templeton's supermarket. Do you mean Clark's music shop across from there? Hmmm, not sure if I remember a Kaye's shop above Clark's. I do remember a boutique though, called the Upper or Unique Boutique, opened around 1970. It was above Clarks. The entrance was round the corner, on Grove Lane. Was Kaye's also a clothing store, and what years was it open?

Sporran
28-Mar-06, 18:48
There was one very classy (at the time) boutique where the Newmarket is now, but I think it possibly took up the bookies as well right down to the corner, I have been trying to remember the name for ages?

That was the Impact Boutique, right next to the Royal Hotel. It was indeed very classy - I bought my wedding dress there! :D

Buttercup
28-Mar-06, 19:05
Thanks for jogging my memory, Buttercup! I'd forgotten about the chocolates! Yes, I remember Bain & Gibson's being in Sir John's Square. Also Chadwick's being on Rotterdam Street, between Fiddlers and Lipton's supermarket, which later became Templeton's supermarket. Do you mean Clark's music shop across from there? Hmmm, not sure if I remember a Kaye's shop above Clark's. I do remember a boutique though, called the Upper or Unique Boutique, opened around 1970. It was above Clarks. The entrance was round the corner, on Grove Lane. Was Kaye's also a clothing store, and what years was it open?
Not Sure what year it opened but it was there during the mid-sixties.There used to be a door between Clarks(Music Shop - now Graham Begg's) and Williamsons Shoe Shop (on the corner of Rotterdam St & Grove Lane) and you went upstairs to Kayes. They sold Women's clothing, I clearly remember seeing the hats in the window. After Kayes, A T Rollands (Decorators) had an office there.

Errogie
29-Mar-06, 18:46
The tobaconists on the corner of St. John's Square was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Mackenzie who stayed in the house "Quoynee" just up the hill from it now I believe occupied by their daughter.
Sad to see Patti Manson's the former optician's? building falling into the street on the other side of the square.

Seemingly up to the mid 19th. century part of Princes Street was a stream bed and the reason so many buildings are keeling over is probably because the foundations are none to secure plus the effect of vibration from heavy traffic.

Ricco
29-Mar-06, 19:58
Hi, I used to live in Thurso many years ago - left in 1964. Back then there used to be a wonderful old bike repair shop up the road from Cardosie's. The old boy had no electric and worked in the winter dark using paraffin lamps. Also, there was a terrific small chippie up one of the back streets - can't remember the name of the chippie or the street - not far from the town centre and Woolies.

scotsboy
29-Mar-06, 21:55
The bike shop was Mac Mowats - I mentioned it in an earlier post. I think the Chippie would be Stephens behind the Police Station.

Winersh eh - not in the Traingle are you? I know Wokingham quite well.

Sporran
30-Mar-06, 18:06
The tobaconists on the corner of St. John's Square was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Mackenzie who stayed in the house "Quoynee" just up the hill from it now I believe occupied by their daughter.
Sad to see Patti Manson's the former optician's? building falling into the street on the other side of the square.

Seemingly up to the mid 19th. century part of Princes Street was a stream bed and the reason so many buildings are keeling over is probably because the foundations are none to secure plus the effect of vibration from heavy traffic.

Ah yes, I remember the house and its name, but didn't know the owner of the shop lived there!

I also remember an optician's on the other side of the square, but thought that was Harry Russell's one. Maybe I'm getting confused, though - perhaps his was somewhere else in town.

Sporran
30-Mar-06, 18:16
The bike shop was Mac Mowats - I mentioned it in an earlier post. I think the Chippie would be Stephens behind the Police Station.

Winersh eh - not in the Traingle are you? I know Wokingham quite well.

Or it could be Brass's chippie that Ricco is thinking of. It was right next to Cardosi's Cafe, across from Woolies. Stephen's chippie was further up on Durness Street, more or less behind the Police Station as you say, and not far from where the steps lead down to the beach esplanade.

dragonfly
30-Mar-06, 18:52
what about the Jewellers that was across the road from the Arcade (ex Danny Craigs, Kathleens Flower shop) where the one way traffic system now is.........was that Gunn the Jewellers?

Errogie
30-Mar-06, 19:32
Brass's chip shop was in Durness Street and I think they later moved down to near Top Joe's and you could get a bag of batter for nothing when you were broke.

Fishing tackle, guns and permits for the river came from Robertson's next to the T.A. Hall in Sinclair Street.

I also remember when these side streets weren't tarred and getting pecked by a hen in Davidson's lane, there was also poultry living on the corner of Robertson's lane and Barrock Street supervised by a very old collie that lay outside all day.

When the Mart was in operation you could sometimes earn a few pennies helping to chase sheep out of the back of the big floats although it was a bit dirty and you were bent double with your head next to wet wool and dung. Then you could even assist in taking them through the pens and passages into the ring.

One day some stirks broke loose and I joined the pursuit gang out of the mart down Lover's Lane and somehow they landed up in a workers construction camp behind Juniper Bank at the back of the school. No idea what it was there for, could have been something connected with Dounereay.

Anyway the door must have been open or they burst in because the animals galloped straight through a dormitory which had rows of beds on either side of the room a bit like a hospital ward. They collided with everything and I can remember trying to hurdle the beds and furniture to try and get in front of them but they were past controling and crashed into beds and furniture leaving plentiful evidence of their passing and then shot out another door at the back of the building again.

We carried on chasing them down the Mall and Janet Street and I think eventually fetched up at the slaughter house on the riverside which is probably where they were intended for in the first place. Talk about the wild west!

I used to wonder what the poor occupants of that building thought when they returned home at the end of their days work to that mess and chaos.

Sporran
30-Mar-06, 20:30
what about the Jewellers that was across the road from the Arcade (ex Danny Craigs, Kathleens Flower shop) where the one way traffic system now is.........was that Gunn the Jewellers?

Yes, it was, dragonfly. I think his shop was somewhere else prior to that - on Traill Street perhaps? I'm not 100% sure, though. Sadly, Mr Gunn died quite suddenly in the late 70s, or perhaps it was 1980. Anyway, he wasn't very old at the time. Does anyone know if his son took over the business?

Errogie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about the runaway sheep -that was a good one! :lol:

Gleber2
30-Mar-06, 20:36
Yes, it was, dragonfly. I think his shop was somewhere else prior to that - on Traill Street perhaps? I'm not 100% sure, though. Sadly, Mr Gunn died quite suddenly in the late 70s, or perhaps it was 1980. Anyway, he wasn't very old at the time. Does anyone know if his son took over the business?

Errogie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about the runaway sheep -that was a good one! :lol:

Gunn was also in Princess St. and then Traill St. I don't thik his son continued the business. I bought several thing in the closing down sale.

Ricco
30-Mar-06, 20:41
Thanks for the info about the bike shop - that old guy was a craftsman... brilliant.
I think the chippie could have been halfway up Shore Street or thereabouts. It wasn't near Cardosi's and I can't remember the cop shop - never had to 'go there'.
Winnersh is just up the Wokingham Road from the Triangle. Where the railway station is.
I also remember the general store at the bottom of Castle Hill, opposite the rail station. Also, there was the bus depot next to the station - hmmm, bad memories about that one! That could have got me a visit to the cop shop!
[smirk]

Ricco
30-Mar-06, 20:47
I just read your post - I used to do the odd weekend and holiday at the mart as well - great laugh. I think I remember that day when some of the stock broke out.
We also used to go meet the pigeon train when it was in. Help out with the stacking of the baskets and the release, then we got free grabs at the eggs afterwards.
And those scratchings - the batter bits. Loverly on a cold night. That chippie could have been the one I remember - small, pokey but wonderful.:grin:

Ricco
30-Mar-06, 20:54
I just had a look at Google maps - I think the suggestion of Durness Street is probably right. Shore Street is too far down and my walk home would have taken me up Durness. Thanks for that.

Errogie
30-Mar-06, 21:07
Is Thurso still a destination for pigeon race starts. I can also remember the birds coming into the station but don't think I ever saw the big mass release.

And while I mention pigeons does anyone know where I can get a few more birds to keep in my barn. Last year I'd built up to about 25 tumblers and rollers of all different colours but a weasel sadly decimated them!

The birds were the greatest acrobats in the avian world and executed rolls loops and somersaults in the sky above the house. Sometimes could hardly stop laughing to see the display. Also keep a few geese and hens and of course the pigeons were obviously impractical and didn't produce anything but what entertainment even though my daughter once called their urban brothers rats with wings.

golach
30-Mar-06, 21:15
Is Thurso still a destination for pigeon race starts. I can also remember the birds coming into the station but don't think I ever saw the big mass release.

And while I mention pigeons does anyone know where I can get a few more birds to keep in my barn. Last year I'd built up to about 25 tumblers and rollers of all different colours but a weasel sadly decimated them!

The birds were the greatest acrobats in the avian world and executed rolls loops and somersaults in the sky above the house. Sometimes could hardly stop laughing to see the display. Also keep a few geese and hens and of course the pigeons were obviously impractical and didn't produce anything but what entertainment even though my daughter once called their urban brothers rats with wings.
I have seen them being released from the car park at Riverside near the Legion

Ricco
30-Mar-06, 21:25
'scuse me asking, grolach. Being new I am not fully au fait with the member status thing. I see that you are classed as a Trusted member, most others are Members but I am a Junior member. Is this because I am new?

golach
30-Mar-06, 21:47
'scuse me asking, grolach. Being new I am not fully au fait with the member status thing. I see that you are classed as a Trusted member, most others are Members but I am a Junior member. Is this because I am new?
Ricco, yep thats it, the more post you contribute the more senior you become, check the members list on the toolbar and you will find a lot more that are senior to me [mad]

canuck
30-Mar-06, 22:31
Ricco, yep thats it, the more post you contribute the more senior you become, check the members list on the toolbar and you will find a lot more that are senior to me [mad]

Ricco, welcome to the org. Golach is probably our wisest and most trusted senior. Why he won't even take a bribe when he is quiz master. He can get you on to the PM system as well as give you directions to the members list. Good luck as you wind your way through the threads. I call it the org tartan.

This thread has been delightful. It just goes on and on and on. Sporran do you have all the info written down? Do I sense a book coming? Reading of the shops and places I'm becoming convinced that Thurso was once a city of 100,000 (people, Errogie, not sheep.)

Gleber2
30-Mar-06, 23:59
I just had a look at Google maps - I think the suggestion of Durness Street is probably right. Shore Street is too far down and my walk home would have taken me up Durness. Thanks for that.

Durness ST had Brass's chippie and then he sold out to Stephens and then cunningly re-opened beside Bottom Joes.

Gleber2
31-Mar-06, 00:03

His name is not Grolach Ricco, it's Growlach and watch him, he used to work for e' Customs and Excise. He's trusted cause he's too owld and decrepit to do anything wrong.LOL

Welcome to the madhouse BTW.

Sporran
31-Mar-06, 06:19
This thread has been delightful. It just goes on and on and on. Sporran do you have all the info written down? Do I sense a book coming? Reading of the shops and places I'm becoming convinced that Thurso was once a city of 100,000 (people, Errogie, not sheep.)

Glad you are enjoying this thread too, canuck! :o) Not sure about a book, but I'm certainly revelling in this trip down Memory Lane! :grin:

Gleber2
31-Mar-06, 17:19
Can anyone remember Deuchart's paper shop and the Caithness Courier printing shop. Used to be where the arcade is now.This one will really show your age as I can barely remember Deucharts and I aint no spring chicken.

Sporran
31-Mar-06, 19:24
Can anyone remember Deuchart's paper shop and the Caithness Courier printing shop. Used to be where the arcade is now.This one will really show your age as I can barely remember Deucharts and I aint no spring chicken.

I *can* actually picture the buildings that were there before the arcade, and over the past couple of days, I've been trying to remember what was in them! :o) The name Deuchart's does ring a bell with me. When you say paper shop, Gleber2, do you mean a newsagents? I also seem to remember a newsagents/sweetie shop being where Woolies is now. I think the Arcade and Woolies might have been built around 1960, perhaps even 1959. I know I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but I've got a pretty good memory. Does anyone else here remember when they were built?

I also recollect the buildings that were next to where Fiddler's used to be, when they were next to the tower. They stood between Fiddler's and Grove Lane, and were later replaced by the current row of shops that have the flats above them. I think Noble's the florist is the shop at the Grove Lane end now (though I can remember when they were on the corner of Rotterdam Street, right across from Shearer's the draper's, now Mackay's, and Top Joe's Cardosi's). Lipton's the grocer's was in this row, before they became Lipton's the supermarket (later Templeton's supermarket), across from Clark's the music shop, and next to Jessie Allan's toy and gift shop. I'm not sure what the other shops were in the row, but George Downie's, the men's outfitter was across the street, where McAllan's is now. Can anyone help me out here?

PS Where did the Caithness Courier printing shop move to, when they built the Arcade? Was it Wick?

Buttercup
31-Mar-06, 19:44
I *can* actually picture the buildings that were there before the arcade, and over the past couple of days, I've been trying to remember what was in them! :o) The name Deuchart's does ring a bell with me. When you say paper shop, Gleber2, do you mean a newsagents? I also seem to remember a newsagents/sweetie shop being where Woolies is now. I think the Arcade and Woolies might have been built around 1960, perhaps even 1959. I know I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but I've got a pretty good memory. Does anyone else here remember when they were built?

I also recollect the buildings that were next to where Fiddler's used to be, when they were next to the tower. They stood between Fiddler's and Grove Lane, and were later replaced by the current row of shops that have the flats above them. I think Noble's the florist is the shop at the Grove Lane end now (though I can remember when they were on the corner of Rotterdam Street, right across from Shearer's the draper's, now Mackay's, and Top Joe's Cardosi's). Lipton's the grocer's was in this row, before they became Lipton's the supermarket (later Templeton's supermarket), across from Clark's the music shop, and next to Jessie Allan's toy and gift shop. I'm not sure what the other shops were in the row, but George Downie's, the men's outfitter was across the street, where McAllan's is now. Can anyone help me out here?

PS Where did the Caithness Courier printing shop move to, when they built the Arcade? Was it Wick?

Chadwicks had a shop next door to Liptons - can't quite remember if it was right next door or not. Across the road (where McAllan's Ladies shop is) Archie MacLellan had the Spar shop, and didn't Downie move in after Spar closed? There was also a barber's there at one time next door to the Co-op chemist wasn't there?

Sporran
31-Mar-06, 20:10
Chadwicks had a shop next door to Liptons - can't quite remember if it was right next door or not. Across the road (where McAllan's Ladies shop is) Archie MacLellan had the Spar shop, and didn't Downie move in after Spar closed? There was also a barber's there at one time next door to the Co-op chemist wasn't there?

Thanks for jogging my memory, Buttercup! :D You are right on all counts! Didn't Chadwick's then move next to where Fiddler's moved to on Rotterdam street? I think they were between Fiddlers and Lipton's/Templeton's supermarket. Chadwick's also owned Kathleen the florist's in the Arcade, and was named after Mrs Chadwick, who worked in the shop. I also remember when the Co-op chemist used to be Munro's the chemist, next to Jessie Allan's. Talking of which, is Jessie Allan's still there? I used to love going into that shop as a kid! :D The toys were upstairs, and one year I got a Sindy doll for my birthday from there. She was Britain's answer to the American Barbie doll. After that, I would save up my pocket money, and buy outfits for her from Jessie Allan's, and eventually got a Sindy plastic wardrobe to put them in! I was also fascinated by the collection of ornaments Jessie sold downstairs, towards the back of the shop. In fact, we had a saying in my family, that if someone had a lot of ornaments on display in their house, then their house looked like Jessie Allan's! :lol: I have to confess that I have a bit of a Jessie Allan's here myself, as I like ornaments, and have collected some from various parts of the world, over the years!

My mum used to shop at Shearer's the butcher, across from Sir John's Square, and the Post Office. I can remember they covered the wooden floorboards with sawdust, and as a wee bairn, I used to love making patterns in the sawdust with my foot! :lol: The last I heard, the butcher's is now the Beauty with Herbs shop. Next to that was a shoe shop, then Shearer's the grocer. Can't remember if they were related to the butcher or not. But as a teenager in high school, I did have a part-time job at the grocer's one or two days after school, and on Saturdays.

Gleber2
31-Mar-06, 20:32
As I scatch at what's left of my hair I will fill in your gaps. Post again later.

Buttercup
31-Mar-06, 20:59
Thanks for jogging my memory, Buttercup! :D You are right on all counts! Didn't Chadwick's then move next to where Fiddler's moved to on Rotterdam street? I think they were between Fiddlers and Lipton's/Templeton's supermarket. Chadwick's also owned Kathleen the florist's in the Arcade, and was named after Mrs Chadwick, who worked in the shop. I also remember when the Co-op chemist used to be Munro's the chemist, next to Jessie Allan's. Talking of which, is Jessie Allan's still there? I used to love going into that shop as a kid! :D The toys were upstairs, and one year I got a Sindy doll for my birthday from there. She was Britain's answer to the American Barbie doll. After that, I would save up my pocket money, and buy outfits for her from Jessie Allan's, and eventually got a Sindy plastic wardrobe to put them in! I was also fascinated by the collection of ornaments Jessie sold downstairs, towards the back of the shop. In fact, we had a saying in my family, that if someone had a lot of ornaments on display in their house, then their house looked like Jessie Allan's! :lol: I have to confess that I have a bit of a Jessie Allan's here myself, as I like ornaments, and have collected some from various parts of the world, over the years!

My mum used to shop at Shearer's the butcher, across from Sir John's Square, and the Post Office. I can remember they covered the wooden floorboards with sawdust, and as a wee bairn, I used to love making patterns in the sawdust with my foot! :lol: The last I heard, the butcher's is now the Beauty with Herbs shop. Next to that was a shoe shop, then Shearer's the grocer. Can't remember if they were related to the butcher or not. But as a teenager in high school, I did have a part-time job at the grocer's one or two days after school, and on Saturdays.

Jessie Allan's closed down last year and the building has been taken over - never been in myself but I believe they sell much the same lines but nowhere near the stock that Jessie Allan's had.
The two Shearer's were not related as far as I know. I too recall getting the butcher meat for my mam and granny from Shearers and vividly remember the sawdust floor! I was also fascinated seeing where the different cuts of meat came from - you don't see that in butchers today, it all seems hidden away.

Gleber2
31-Mar-06, 23:28

Next to Jessie Allens was Peterkin the Chemist, not Munro's. Next was Harry Robinson the barber, Mackays chip shop, Mackays fish shop and then Mackays Ironmongers who had a store across the street next to Sinclairs Bicycle shop where you also bought records and fiddle strings etc. Next was Chadwick and then Liptons. Archie Maclennan, the manager of Liptons, then bought the chip shop and fish shop and opened what was essentially the first superstore in Thurso.

Sporran, Deucharts was a news agent. It was Norns where Woolies now trade. A magical shop run by a verietable dragon, Mrs. Norn. I can't actually pinpoint when Norns was converted to Woolies but 59 seems about right. At this time Downie was the manager of Hepworths where Top Joes is now.I think the Courier moved to Wick when it was taken over by the Groat. You have certainly had me searching the earliest part of my mental hard drive on this one.
Anyone remember buying hot bread from Cathy Coghills bakery down from the West Public School(Castle Street I think)?? I can almost smell that wonderful old building as we ran down at eleven to buy our Threepenny roll from Bill Banks.

Sporran
01-Apr-06, 06:16
Jessie Allan's closed down last year and the building has been taken over - never been in myself but I believe they sell much the same lines but nowhere near the stock that Jessie Allan's had.
The two Shearer's were not related as far as I know. I too recall getting the butcher meat for my mam and granny from Shearers and vividly remember the sawdust floor! I was also fascinated seeing where the different cuts of meat came from - you don't see that in butchers today, it all seems hidden away.

Sorry to hear that Jessie Allan's closed down, but glad that the new owners sell much the same lines. Is Jessie still alive, or has she passed away?

I remember the sides of beef hanging up in Shearer's the butchers too, and being quite fascinated by them as well, Buttercup!

Sporran
01-Apr-06, 06:50
Next to Jessie Allens was Peterkin the Chemist, not Munro's. Next was Harry Robinson the barber, Mackays chip shop, Mackays fish shop and then Mackays Ironmongers who had a store across the street next to Sinclairs Bicycle shop where you also bought records and fiddle strings etc. Next was Chadwick and then Liptons. Archie Maclennan, the manager of Liptons, then bought the chip shop and fish shop and opened what was essentially the first superstore in Thurso.

Sporran, Deucharts was a news agent. It was Norns where Woolies now trade. A magical shop run by a verietable dragon, Mrs. Norn. I can't actually pinpoint when Norns was converted to Woolies but 59 seems about right. At this time Downie was the manager of Hepworths where Top Joes is now.I think the Courier moved to Wick when it was taken over by the Groat. You have certainly had me searching the earliest part of my mental hard drive on this one.
Anyone remember buying hot bread from Cathy Coghills bakery down from the West Public School(Castle Street I think)?? I can almost smell that wonderful old building as we ran down at eleven to buy our Threepenny roll from Bill Banks.

Silly me, of course it was Peterkin's the chemist! Munro's was the chemist next to Miller Calder's furniture shop on Traill Street. I'm not sure if I remember Mackay's chip shop and fish shop, but I definitely remember their ironmonger's shop. Was it later called Houston's the ironmonger, or am I getting confused because Mr Houston was the manager?

I did have a feeling there was a bicycle shop next to Lipton's the grocer, as well as some kind of music shop, but I wasn't 100% sure. What kind of goods did Mrs Norn sell in her shop?

I don't remember Cathy Coghill's bakery down from the West Public school on Castle street, I'm afraid. But I remember drinking warm milk, when I was in Primary 1 at the West Public. Each pupil got a small bottle of milk to drink every morning, and in the cold weather, our teacher, Mrs Bruce, would place the crate of milk in front of the open fireplace to warm it up.

Gleber2
01-Apr-06, 13:55
Silly me, of course it was Peterkin's the chemist! Munro's was the chemist next to Miller Calder's furniture shop on Traill Street. I'm not sure if I remember Mackay's chip shop and fish shop, but I definitely remember their ironmonger's shop. Was it later called Houston's the ironmonger, or am I getting confused because Mr Houston was the manager?

I did have a feeling there was a bicycle shop next to Lipton's the grocer, as well as some kind of music shop, but I wasn't 100% sure. What kind of goods did Mrs Norn sell in her shop?

I don't remember Cathy Coghill's bakery down from the West Public school on Castle street, I'm afraid. But I remember drinking warm milk, when I was in Primary 1 at the West Public. Each pupil got a small bottle of milk to drink every morning, and in the cold weather, our teacher, Mrs Bruce, would place the crate of milk in front of the open fireplace to warm it up.

Ah, the memories you create. The. bakery part of Cathy Coghills' closed long before the shop. Mrs. Bruce was a lovely lady. She was my first teacher too in 1949. Then I had two years of Ms Wares, a trauma I will never recover from. Mrs.Norn sold toys, icecream, sweets and fancy goods as far as I can remember. The bicycle shop,known as Murray Hawks, sold music as well as bikes. Houston was the manager across the road until Maggie Mackay died and left the shop to him.The chip shop ceased to exist before your time I think.

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 19:24
I remember it well Gleeber2. Used to get our 3d muffins from there. That is 3 Pence people, not 3d as in graphics. Sounds like you are mid to late 50s gleeber2. Good age to be

Gleber2
01-Apr-06, 20:32
I remember it well Gleeber2. Used to get our 3d muffins from there. That is 3 Pence people, not 3d as in graphics. Sounds like you are mid to late 50s gleeber2. Good age to be

These muffins will never leave me. To get them warm and then pick out the inside. Bliss. How innocent it was back then. I'm 62 this year and the only thing good about it is that I don't have to grow up now, in this day and age.

Royster1911
01-Apr-06, 20:44
Long time ago Gleeber2 but just like yesterday. Can you mind the ships wheel when it was a biscuit shop. The owners son was a leister Clark who was in my class in west public. Think we ate them out of business. hehe

Gleber2
01-Apr-06, 21:24
Long time ago Gleeber2 but just like yesterday. Can you mind the ships wheel when it was a biscuit shop. The owners son was a leister Clark who was in my class in west public. Think we ate them out of business. hehe
Can't rake the biiscuit shop out the memories. How far back do you go or is your age private?:o)

Sporran
02-Apr-06, 02:47
Ah, the memories you create. The. bakery part of Cathy Coghills' closed long before the shop. Mrs. Bruce was a lovely lady. She was my first teacher too in 1949. Then I had two years of Ms Wares, a trauma I will never recover from. Mrs.Norn sold toys, icecream, sweets and fancy goods as far as I can remember. The bicycle shop,known as Murray Hawks, sold music as well as bikes. Houston was the manager across the road until Maggie Mackay died and left the shop to him.The chip shop ceased to exist before your time I think.

Yes, it's fun to min' back to yon days, isn't it, Gleber2? :grin: Mrs Bruce was my first teacher from 1960-61. I can still remember her dark grey hair worn in a bun, and her bright blue eyes! Several years later, when I went to Thurso High School, I discovered that her husband taught there. I remember Ms Wares, but never had her as a teacher. I was only at the West Public School for Primary 1, then at the Miller Academy for Primary 2. Part of that was spent in the Mina Villa part of the Academy. I'm glad that the West Public wasn't demolished like the Villa! At least it's been turned into something useful like the Environmental Research Institute, while maintaining the same original Victorian exterior.

I really appreciate your filling in all the gaps for me, Gleber 2! You have a great memory! :) Do you also recollect the fish shop that was in the backstreet directly behind Mackay's the ironmonger's? I think it was owned by a Mrs Mackenzie, and she also had a small clothing shop right next door to it.

Gleber2
02-Apr-06, 03:12
Yes, it's fun to min' back to yon days, isn't it, Gleber2? :grin: Mrs Bruce was my first teacher from 1960-61. I can still remember her dark grey hair worn in a bun, and her bright blue eyes! Several years later, when I went to Thurso High School, I discovered that her husband taught there. I remember Ms Wares, but never had her as a teacher. I was only at the West Public School for Primary 1, then at the Miller Academy for Primary 2. Part of that was spent in the Mina Villa part of the Academy. I'm glad that the West Public wasn't demolished like the Villa! At least it's been turned into something useful like the Environmental Research Institute, while maintaining the same original Victorian exterior.

I really appreciate your filling in all the gaps for me, Gleber 2! You have a great memory! :) Do you also recollect the fish shop that was in the backstreet directly behind Mackay's the ironmonger's? I think it was owned by a Mrs Mackenzie, and she also had a small clothing shop right next door to it.

And her clothes alway smelt of fish when you bought them. Brucie was my very stern maths teacher from 1958 to 62. I was at the West Public from 1949 to 1952, then the Millar to 56 and then back to the West Public for Primary 7 with John Dallas.

Ricco
02-Apr-06, 15:58
Thanks for the enlightenment. It is really great to see such a strong community here, despite the miles that bridge everyone. I am also loving the memories - my early teens in Thurso were some of the happiest days ever. The stories remind of one night cycling home from scouts and not looking where I was going. I was really struck on a girl and was looking up at her room. Stuffed the front wheel of my bike under the rear wheel arch of a parked car and bent it almost 90 degrees! That great old guy in the bike shop sorted it all out - excellent! Took a while for my pride to repair, though.

Royster1911
02-Apr-06, 16:33
Im thinking around 1955-6. The Clarks came over from Orkney to open the shop. Cant remember what it was before that though. Age is not an issue with me. I`ll be 21 next year (again). 57 next Jan. Dont look a day older than 56

Gleber2
02-Apr-06, 16:53
Im thinking around 1955-6. The Clarks came over from Orkney to open the shop. Cant remember what it was before that though. Age is not an issue with me. I`ll be 21 next year (again). 57 next Jan. Dont look a day older than 56

Strange I can't remember a shop which sold food!! There has just been a memorey tickle, perhaps I will remember. I wonder if you're being truthfull about your age????Where was the Ships Wheel before it moved. I seem to remember it somewhere else further along near Liptons?

Wylie and Swansons was another weird little shop in Traill Street next to the equally weird Anderson the Watch maker and Willie Omands. I almost forgot Miss Leslie who sold papers and was also a bit strange. From a kid's view anyway.:o)

Royster1911
02-Apr-06, 19:57
I remember my age ok. The rest is a bit fuzzy due to that. I dont think the biscuit shop was open for long. All the biscuits were sold loose from the traditional angled buckets about 12" square. Anything before that I think was before my time/ Memory

golach
02-Apr-06, 20:09
When you talk about the "Ships Wheel" do you mean a shop with a ships wheel out side....coz I can remeber one on the opposite side of Traill St from Top Joes, cant remember what the shop was, but near the chemists? If my memory serves me well

Gleber2
02-Apr-06, 20:12
When you talk about the "Ships Wheel" do you mean a shop with a ships wheel out side....coz I can remeber one on the opposite side of Traill St from Top Joes, cant remember what the shop was, but near the chemists? If my memory serves me well

Hetty Munroe's antique shop was where you described it but I seem to think that it was somewhere else before that. Possibly where Chadwick had his shop next to Liptons.

Royster, I'm beginning to remember the biscuit shop. very hazy!!

highlander
02-Apr-06, 22:22
remember when the county stores was in princess street, and the bubblegum machine out side cardosi cafe by woolies, and the chocolate machine.

Buttercup
02-Apr-06, 23:06
Anyone remember the ice lollies that Henry Cardosi (Bottom Joes) used to sell - 2d each and several unique flavours, my favourites were the black (licquorice) and the blue (spearmint) ~ sounds strange but they were fantastic!

hilly2
02-Apr-06, 23:47
The Impact Boutique was in Grove Lane
Remember the shop in the railway station
Budge Bakers was beside George Downies
Harrington photographers on traill st?
Collet Mcphersons shop in Castlegreen Road now Frazers
Hepworths shop (where you could play at being Harry Worth in the window) oops showing my age now.lol
Souters paper shop in arcade
There was also a milk machine at the railings in Sir George's Square
Book shop in the arcade along from Music Shop
Jake Mackays grocer next to the Ships Wheel
TSB Bank was where Travel agents is.
Bus Office where Georgesons solicitors is now?

Sporran
03-Apr-06, 06:46
The Impact Boutique was in Grove Lane
Remember the shop in the railway station
Budge Bakers was beside George Downies
Harrington photographers on traill st?
Collet Mcphersons shop in Castlegreen Road now Frazers
Hepworths shop (where you could play at being Harry Worth in the window) oops showing my age now.lol
Souters paper shop in arcade
There was also a milk machine at the railings in Sir George's Square
Book shop in the arcade along from Music Shop
Jake Mackays grocer next to the Ships Wheel
TSB Bank was where Travel agents is.
Bus Office where Georgesons solicitors is now?

No, the Impact Boutique was next to the Royal Hotel on Traill Street. The one on Grove Lane was called the Upper Boutique. It was in the same building as Clark's music shop, but upstairs.

Yes, Harrington the photographer was on Traill Street, somewhere between Donald Sinclair's shoe shop and the DE shoe shop.

The old Thurso library and museum were at the Wilson Street end of the town hall. Can anyone remember the name of the shop directly on the other side of the square to that? It sold wine, etc., and was along the same lines as Hamish Cameron's on Traill Street. Next was the Co-op supermarket across from Woolies, which was built around 1970, I think. What was there before? A smaller Co-op shop?

Ricco
03-Apr-06, 07:56
Hi, I vaguely remember a hardware store somewhere opposite Woolies. But then, I remember Woolies on the corner near the library and it seems to have been somewhere else reading some of the descriptions. Someone said that Cardosi's was next/near to Woolies but I remember it being on the corner of Trail St where it turns and becomes Olrig St. Hmm - maybe my memories are a little hazy these days.

janette
03-Apr-06, 10:03
Next was the Co-op supermarket across from Woolies, which was built around 1970, I think. What was there before? A smaller Co-op shop?

The Co-op drapery/hardware had a shop, then the Co-op grocery at the corner over the road from Cardosi, who sold sweeties and also a Cafe. The Coop grocery was referred to as 'Hamish's' as he was the manager for ages

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 13:31
The Co-op drapery/hardware had a shop, then the Co-op grocery at the corner over the road from Cardosi, who sold sweeties and also a Cafe. The Coop grocery was referred to as 'Hamish's' as he was the manager for ages

The shop on the corner was George Mansons(I think) always known as Geordie Butty's. Next was the Co-op Haberdashery and the the Co-op Dairy and bakery.
Rico, Joe Cardosi operated Bottom Joes at the end of Durness street next to Piericini's Radio shop. His son, Andrew ran Top Joes on Traill ST.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 13:42

Hamish Cameron's at the end ofTraill St. was known as Hamish's. Are you getting confused or is it my memory.

gleeber
03-Apr-06, 14:36
Hamish (Durley) Mowat was the manager of the co-op. You may remember he stayed up the manse brae and bred budgies.
Some other shops i hevna heard mentioned are Kushi Mohameds, Duthies and does anyone remember when rattles had a shed/shop in the Glebe?

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 15:16
Hamish (Durley) Mowat was the manager of the co-op. You may remember he stayed up the manse brae and bred budgies.
Some other shops i hevna heard mentioned are Kushi Mohameds, Duthies and does anyone remember when rattles had a shed/shop in the Glebe?

I recall the gent in question with the budgies but which Co-op was he the manager of as there was the main grocery shop at e' toon's clock. Kushi was next to Bottom Joe's and Duthies, haunt of my childhood with Miss Duthie and Flappy's wife. Many were the bars of Highland toffee and crisps that I bought from Rattle's shed. after all he lived in the same block as me. Remember Murali who had his shop on the back of his bike. Kush and Murali were the only two people in town with darker skin than the locals. No racism in those days. Pity that Horns disappeared.

Buttercup
03-Apr-06, 16:14
No, the Impact Boutique was next to the Royal Hotel on Traill Street. The one on Grove Lane was called the Upper Boutique. It was in the same building as Clark's music shop, but upstairs.

Yes, Harrington the photographer was on Traill Street, somewhere between Donald Sinclair's shoe shop and the DE shoe shop.

The old Thurso library and museum were at the Wilson Street end of the town hall. Can anyone remember the name of the shop directly on the other side of the square to that? It sold wine, etc., and was along the same lines as Hamish Cameron's on Traill Street. Next was the Co-op supermarket across from Woolies, which was built around 1970, I think. What was there before? A smaller Co-op shop?
Wasn't the Boutique at the Royal called Tiffany's at one stage? :confused

Sairheed
03-Apr-06, 17:11
I have thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing with this thread and note that Gleber2 and I are of the same vintage (me 61 this year). only one correction to make to your database of knowledge, Gleber 2 - the barber shop next to Peterkin's the chemist was owned by Johnnie Elder and he had a barber with him called Willie Murrray.

On the subject to this part of the town do you remember the alleyway between Jessie Allan's and Peterkin's in which took place an incident which since it led to a Public Inquiry is said to have resulted in policemen being stopped from giving recalitrants a "click rooon e' loog" to clear up any misdemeanours.

I confirm that the shops which were replaced by the "Nobles" arcade were in order of going down towards the Town Hall - Liptons - a wee sewing shop (can't get the name but Downie started up here after he left Hepworths) - the Ship's Wheel (later Chadwicks) - W D Murrray bike shop and I think the original retailer of records in Thurso, run in 50s/60s by Jock Sinclair his son in law - door to a private up stairs house, the Librarian Miss Begg lived here - a store owned by Mackay the Ironmongers across the street - Fidlers which I think was in part to a building which was the a toll for the lower town and was The Tower Bar at one time.

Gleber2
03-Apr-06, 17:21
I have thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing with this thread and note that Gleber2 and I are of the same vintage (me 61 this year). only one correction to make to your database of knowledge, Gleber 2 - the barber shop next to Peterkin's the chemist was owned by Johnnie Elder and he had a barber with him called Willie Murrray.

On the subject to this part of the town do you remember the alleyway between Jessie Allan's and Peterkin's in which took place an incident which since it led to a Public Inquiry is said to have resulted in policemen being stopped from giving recalitrants a "click rooon e' loog" to clear up any misdemeanours.

I confirm that the shops which were replaced by the "Nobles" arcade were in order of going down towards the Town Hall - Liptons - a wee sewing shop (can't get the name but Downie started up here after he left Hepworths) - the Ship's Wheel (later Chadwicks) - W D Murrray bike shop and I think the original retailer of records in Thurso, run in 50s/60s by Jock Sinclair his son in law - door to a private up stairs house, the Librarian Miss Begg lived here - a store owned by Mackay the Ironmongers across the street - Fidlers which I think was in part to a building which was the a toll for the lower town and was The Tower Bar at one time.

The barbers shop became Harry's and Willie Murray had his shop in Durness ST at one time before he had to close. He was next to the Co-op bakery if my memory serves me well. I can't, for the life of me, put a face on Johnnie Elder but you are right. Do you remember Mrs. Brock(I think that was the name) who had the wee sewing shop next to the old Nobles? Funny recalling Hatchet face who ran the Library like an army camp. Another face that errupts out of the past is Cathie Macfarlane who used to run the Rent Office. And weel I remember the police incident you mention. After all he lived near me.

Sporran
04-Apr-06, 00:08
Wasn't the Boutique at the Royal called Tiffany's at one stage? :confused

It was indeed, Buttercup. In fact, I was mulling this thread over in my head at work today, when it dawned on me that hilly2 was right about the Impact Boutique being in Grove Lane. I had gotten confused and thought its name was the Upper Boutique, because you had to go upstairs to it. Eventually I remembered that Tiffany's was the name of the boutique next to the Royal Hotel, and I was just about to post that when I saw you had beaten me to it, lol! :D I have a feeling it was owned by the Royal Hotel, but I could be wrong about that. I do know that Nettie Russell, the optician's wife worked there, and I think she might have been the manageress, in the mid 1970s.

Sporran
04-Apr-06, 00:23

I remember a small shop next to the Sheiling and the Commercial bar on Princess Street that was owned by a Pakistani family in the mid to late 1960s. They sold groceries and some clothing as well. ( I remember the brightly coloured anorak I got from there! :) ) Was that Kushi Mohamed's?

Where was the manse brae?

highlander
04-Apr-06, 00:25
does anyone remember Johnny the conductor on the buses, i did not know his last name, he was always a great laugh when u got him on your bus to school

Sporran
04-Apr-06, 00:44
does anyone remember Johnny the conductor on the buses, i did not know his last name, he was always a great laugh when u got him on your bus to school
Yes, I do lol! :o) I was just thinking about him last week, and had thought of mentioning him on the Thurso people and places thread, but didn't. I canna mind his last name either, but I can remember exactly what he looked like! He wore fairly thick glasses, and you're right, highlander, he was always a good laugh! :lol: He was such a good natured chiel, and always joking around. He was a born comedian, really. He was just middle aged when he died around the mid 70s - of cancer, I believe. :cry:

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 01:15
I remember a small shop next to the Sheiling and the Commercial bar on Princess Street that was owned by a Pakistani family in the mid to late 1960s. They sold groceries and some clothing as well. ( I remember the brightly coloured anorak I got from there! :) ) Was that Kushi Mohamed's?

Where was the manse brae?

No, you've got it wrong. The shop you're thinking about was owned by Wali Ahmed(?). Kush was next door to Bottom Joes a decade or so earlier. E' manser is the Street before you get to the Glebe. Granville St I think. A glebe is the land that goes with a minister's manse and the big house that was owned by the Cardosi's was, at one time, a manse. Div ye mind e' wee shoppie side e' Pentland. I think it was called Campbells and was the first shop in the town to sell Walls ice-cream. Just up from Tommy Allens before he crossed the road.
I don't think I'll ever forget the smell of Macadie the Meal dealers next door to Nobles old shop. Can't remember what came next though.

Sporran
04-Apr-06, 01:57
No, you've got it wrong. The shop you're thinking about was owned by Wali Ahmed(?). Kush was next door to Bottom Joes a decade or so earlier. E' manser is the Street before you get to the Glebe. Granville St I think. A glebe is the land that goes with a minister's manse and the big house that was owned by the Cardosi's was, at one time, a manse. Div ye mind e' wee shoppie side e' Pentland. I think it was called Campbells and was the first shop in the town to sell Walls ice-cream. Just up from Tommy Allens before he crossed the road.
I don't think I'll ever forget the smell of Macadie the Meal dealers next door to Nobles old shop. Can't remember what came next though.

OK then, sounds like Kush's was afore my time, Gleber2. I remember Granville Street, and I've checked a Thurso street map through a link on Caithness.org. You're right aboot it bein' e' street afore ye get til e' Glebe.

Aye, I mind Campbell's wee shoppie side e' Pentland! :) And thanks for reminding me of Macadie the Meal dealers, and the smell that eminated from there! :o) It was a distinct smell, but not unpleasant. I think the shop that came next on Rotterdam Street is what is now the Regency jewellers. Fiddlers moved in there after they moved from being adjacent to the old tower. I think someone mentioned it was a men's outfitter prior to that, somewhere on this thread. On the other side of where Noble's used to be was a shoe shop, but I canna mind e' name o' it! It was between Nobles and the Royal Bank of Scotland on Olrig Street, and across from the side of Top Joe's, and the newsagent's at the end, which also belonged to the Cardosis.

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 01:57
Empty your in box please I am trying to PM you.

Sporran
04-Apr-06, 01:59
Empty your in box please I am trying to PM you.

OK, will do!

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 02:04
OK then, sounds like Kush's was afore my time, Gleber2. I remember Granville Street, and I've checked a Thurso street map through a link on Caithness.org. You're right aboot it bein' e' street afore ye get til e' Glebe.

Aye, I mind Campbell's wee shoppie side e' Pentland! :) And thanks for reminding me of Macadie the Meal dealers, and the smell that eminated from there! :o) It was a distinct smell, but not unpleasant. I think the shop that came next on Rotterdam Street is what is now the Regency jewellers. Fiddlers moved in there after they moved from being adjacent to the old tower. I think someone mentioned it was a men's outfitter prior to that, somewhere on this thread. On the other side of where Noble's used to be was a shoe shop, but I canna mind e' name o' it! It was between Nobles and the Royal Bank of Scotland on Olrig Street, and across from the side of Top Joe's, and the newsagent's at the end, which also belonged to the Cardosis.

Mansons was the shop which is now Regency. Can't remember the shoe shop but I am sure Gleeber will.

highlander3882
04-Apr-06, 09:08
anyone remember the travel agents owned by tommy souter, that used to be in the back of the newpaper shop, that is now the games shop in the arcade?

janette
04-Apr-06, 11:24
Anyone remember Gunn's the Jewellers, opposite where the Arcade is now, then they moved to Princes Street.

gleeber
04-Apr-06, 12:17
Mansons was the shop which is now Regency. Can't remember the shoe shop but I am sure Gleeber will.
I canna remember the shoe shop either. Mind you, your much older than me so if you canna mind it maybe golach will. I seem to recall the Hydro Board had a place next to Macadies the meal dealers. Just where they are now.
It was Jacks who were where Regency now is. Andrew Mansons was between high Joes and Cardosis paper shop.

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 12:22
I canna remember the shoe shop either. Mind you, your much older than me so if you canna mind it maybe golach will. I seem to recall the Hydro Board had a place next to Macadies the meal dealers. Just where they are now.
It was Jacks who were where Regency now is. Andrew Mansons was between high Joes and Cardosis paper shop.

Ah kent ye wid keep us right.

Ricco
04-Apr-06, 13:23
The shop on the corner was George Mansons(I think) always known as Geordie Butty's. Next was the Co-op Haberdashery and the the Co-op Dairy and bakery.
Rico, Joe Cardosi operated Bottom Joes at the end of Durness street next to Piericini's Radio shop. His son, Andrew ran Top Joes on Traill ST.

Thanks, Gleber2. I must say, I can't remember the Bottom Joes; but I certainly spent some time and money in Top Joes.
Ricco

Buttercup
04-Apr-06, 15:18
Next to Nobles was the Baby Linen Shop (owned by Mrs Stewart). Jacks (after them Fiddlers) was where Regency is and Williamson's was the name of the shoe shop.

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 16:26
Next to Nobles was the Baby Linen Shop (owned by Mrs Stewart). Jacks (after them Fiddlers) was where Regency is and Williamson's was the name of the shoe shop.
Williamsons is cool but the shoe shop we were trying to recall was beside Macadies and the Royal Bank. I can' remember it and neither can Gleeber.Sporran brought it up.

janette
04-Apr-06, 17:00
Williamsons is cool but the shoe shop we were trying to recall was beside Macadies and the Royal Bank. I can' remember it and neither can Gleeber.Sporran brought it up.

Gunns had a shoe shop, I think where the wallpaper shop is now

Gleber2
04-Apr-06, 17:17
Gunns had a shoe shop, I think where the wallpaper shop is now

That would be the one but why can't I remember it? Was it an expensive shop? We never went to expensive shops.:grin:

janette
04-Apr-06, 18:34
That would be the one but why can't I remember it? Was it an expensive shop? We never went to expensive shops.:grin:

They still have a shop in Thurso, near the Town Hall, and they have one in Bridge Street, Wick. The really expensive shoe shop was Millers in Sir John's Square, Thurso. I think it was a father and son, and after the son died the fountain in the square was dedicated to him.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
05-Apr-06, 09:47
Thanks for the memories Gleber2, was begining to think everyone from my childhood were dead,in the 50/51s I worked for Cathy Coghill I had to go down from the Glebe early in the morning,first thing I did was get a fresh roll right out of the oven-a big dolop of cooking margerine from a big carton and chomp away Lue Gray and Mr Munro from the front of the Glebe used to do the baking,then I would load my bike and deliver the rolls,then off to school,after school I had to report to the shop I remember the girl Pearl,her and Cathy would load me up with Messages I had to deliver and I had to clean the bakehouse before going home,remember nicking Lemonade bottles from over the gate at the back and going round the front to get the 2d a return used the loot to but a pack of 5 Turfs,the cheapest smokes,will have to try and get the gray cells working a bit more Regards to all the old Glebers and G'day to Buttercup Regards Robin http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

bky
05-Apr-06, 15:38
Hi
does anyone remember when the Pentland Printers operated from the Toll Gallery before moving up next to wood-bees
miller calders shop in where the TSB is now

janette
05-Apr-06, 18:19
With the mention of the Music Shop in Thurso, does anyone remember Harry Russell the optician in the shop next door, then it became a Book Shop.

Gleber2
05-Apr-06, 18:36
With the mention of the Music Shop in Thurso, does anyone remember Harry Russell the optician in the shop next door, then it became a Book Shop.

Aaall 'is is far too modern. Dis anyone remember when you could buy a pint o' milk straight from a coo from Maggie Henderson who had her byre where Dunnets workshop is now in Mansons Lane and roond e' corner ye could get eiggs from e' wifie Bouts and hev' a good look at her peegs?

mareng
05-Apr-06, 23:40

Was the bookshop owner not a Royal Navy retiree from Vulcan?

Think I visited it when it was an optician, too.

(hard to tell - my eyesight wasn't brilliant)

gleeber
06-Apr-06, 00:15
Maccas paint and wallpaper shop. Richard Macphails kipper kiln. Robin rascals butcher shop. The Barrock van. Pagies chip van. Cannops bathing coaches, (weather permitting) Is the list endless?

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 00:23
Maccas paint and wallpaper shop. Richard Macphails kipper kiln. Robin rascals butcher shop. The Barrock van. Pagies chip van. Cannops bathing coaches, (weather permitting) Is the list endless?
Where did Richard smoke his kippers when he wisna blowan his horn wi e Sally Ann. Robin Rascal----Pleased to meet you with meat to please you. Where wis Macca's? How about e brewery and bottling business ownwed by Danny Murray?

Sporran
06-Apr-06, 00:32

Yes I do. Did Harry Russell then move his optician's shop to Sir John's Square?

gleeber
06-Apr-06, 08:32
Where did Richard smoke his kippers when he wisna blowan his horn wi e Sally Ann. Robin Rascal----Pleased to meet you with meat to please you. Where wis Macca's? How about e brewery and bottling business ownwed by Danny Murray?
Pleased to meet you meat to please you, gosh I remember it well. Richards kiln was next to Betty Gunns, where Carnaby Place is now. Maccas was on the corner down from Robin Rascals. Its a beauty salon now.Used to be the bike shop.

Buttercup
06-Apr-06, 11:21
I remember Smith's of Barrock, they had a wine coloured van. I also mind Rosser and Ian Wares doing the rounds in vans. Anyone mind Jimmy Sinclair with his horse and cart selling veg?

golach
06-Apr-06, 11:50
What was the name of the Taxi driver?, who lived I think in Beach Road, always arrived early for a pickup but only drove at about 20mph, I have had his taxi from the Crudins to Thurso many times and always arrived at my destination on time. and he always wore a chauffuers cap. And anither question why was Clett Terrace refered to as the "Crudins"?

bky
06-Apr-06, 12:49
would that taxi driver have been frank sinclair

jay
06-Apr-06, 12:49
Yes I do. Did Harry Russell then move his optician's shop to Sir John's Square?

HArry Russell retired - Graham Henderson opened his first shop is Sir John's Square, where the hairdresser is now

Gleber2
06-Apr-06, 12:51
What was the name of the Taxi driver?, who lived I think in Beach Road, always arrived early for a pickup but only drove at about 20mph, I have had his taxi from the Crudins to Thurso many times and always arrived at my destination on time. and he always wore a chauffuers cap. And anither question why was Clett Terrace refered to as the "Crudins"?
Wisna Beach Road Golllllach, it wis at steet roond e' corner from e Sally Ann. Market ST I think and his name wis Sinclair, NO certain, could be wrong. I called him when my wife went into labour with my first son and he was late. Crudins, I believe, refered to the people who built them or to the type of houses. Again, not certain.

Buttercup
06-Apr-06, 15:24
HArry Russell retired - Graham Henderson opened his first shop is Sir John's Square, where the hairdresser is now
Wasn't Harry Russell still working when he died suddenly?:confused

Absolut1
06-Apr-06, 23:24
wasnt there a clothes shop in st johns square where the falling down building is?
the tasty bite was a boutique or was that where the beautican is now across the road?
i remember going into omands shop on towerhill road as they let you round the back of the counter to pick your own penny sweets. That was when aqbal has the mace shop on mt pleasant before he opened the indian where the bike shop was on sinclair street. i spent many a day in the cafe next door as i used to go there after school to place space invaders on the table top one.

scotsboy
07-Apr-06, 10:49
Has anyone mentioned the Ships Wheel? Wee Alistair's antiques shop, frequented by the Queen Mother.

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 14:14
Has anyone mentioned the Ships Wheel? Wee Alistair's antiques shop, frequented by the Queen Mother.

Yes, it was mentioned earlier on in the thread, Scotsboy. I always took a peek in the window, even when I was a bairn. I've always been fascinated by things from days gone by. Never bought anything there, but it was still fun to look!

Some folk in this thread mentioned that prior to its location across from Top Joe's, it was across from where McAllan's is now. That was before my time, though.

bingo1
07-Apr-06, 14:31
Has anyone mentioned what the spar on girnigow street, wick used to be? I remember it as cormacks corner shop. He was nice old man but you wouldnt dare be cheeky to him. I miss the old days. Does anyone know what it was before that?

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 16:15
Has anyone mentioned what the spar on girnigow street, wick used to be? I remember it as cormacks corner shop. He was nice old man but you wouldnt dare be cheeky to him. I miss the old days. Does anyone know what it was before that?

Bingo1, you might want to ask on the Wick shops thread.

Does anyone know if there is still a tearoom in Johnson the bakers in Thurso? I remember going there as a wee bairn with my mum. It was in the back of the bakery. You went through the front door, and the entrance to the tearoom was somewhere on the right. The fairy cakes were served on tiered cake stands with paper doilies on them, and every table was covered with a white tablecloth. Sutherland the bakers, next to the Post Office, had a similar tearoom, and we went there sometimes as well.

Gleber2
07-Apr-06, 18:04
Bingo1, you might want to ask on the Wick shops thread.

Does anyone know if there is still a tearoom in Johnson the bakers in Thurso? I remember going there as a wee bairn with my mum. It was in the back of the bakery. You went through the front door, and the entrance to the tearoom was somewhere on the right. The fairy cakes were served on tiered cake stands with paper doilies on them, and every table was covered with a white tablecloth. Sutherland the bakers, next to the Post Office, had a similar tearoom, and we went there sometimes as well.

Johnstons the baker is still in the same place but the Pieshop is now a restaurant. I don't know if the tea room is still there. I don't think so, but I could well be wrong.

Ricco
07-Apr-06, 18:48
Wasn't Harry Russell still working when he died suddenly?:confused

Hi, Buttercup.

Sorry - couldn't resist this. I think Harry had stopped working suddenly if he had died suddenly.
lol :grin:

Ricco
07-Apr-06, 18:54
Does anyone remember Jimmy Bews who had the butchers way up along Princes Street? I think his brother was Davie or somehting. This was where I got my first part-time job working after school and on Saturdays, cleaning out the store and the fat vats (hated that), as well as doing some of the deliveries.

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 19:33
Does anyone remember Jimmy Bews who had the butchers way up along Princes Street? I think his brother was Davie or somehting. This was where I got my first part-time job working after school and on Saturdays, cleaning out the store and the fat vats (hated that), as well as doing some of the deliveries.

Yes, I remember the butcher shop, and still have a sheepskin rug I bought there many years ago! Is Bews still in that same location, I wonder?

My first summer job was at McGregor's the toy and gift shop, up past the Arcade. Betty Riddle was the owner, and her husband had his joiner shop right next to it. My dad had sledges made there for my brother and I, when we were little. Mine was painted pink, and my brother's was blue! :grin:

Is the gift shop and joiner's still there, by any chance?

Gleber2
07-Apr-06, 19:40
Yes, I remember the butcher shop, and still have a sheepskin rug I bought there many years ago! Is Bews still in that same location, I wonder?

My first summer job was at McGregor's the toy and gift shop, up past the Arcade. Betty Riddle was the owner, and her husband had his joiner shop right next to it. My dad had sledges made there for my brother and I, when we were little. Mine was painted pink, and my brother's was blue! :grin:

Is the gift shop and joiner's still there, by any chance?

Mr. Riddle vanished without a trace many years ago. A great mystery!! Betty died a few years ago and the Gift shop is now a fishing tackle shop. Jimmy Riddle runs the Bridgend Building Supply behind the County garage. Don't know about the butcher shop. I've been a vegetarian for 26 years.:)

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 20:05
Mr. Riddle vanished without a trace many years ago. A great mystery!! Betty died a few years ago and the Gift shop is now a fishing tackle shop. Jimmy Riddle runs the Bridgend Building Supply behind the County garage. Don't know about the butcher shop. I've been a vegetarian for 26 years.:)

I do remember about Mr Riddle's mysterious disappearance, as I was still living in Thurso at the time. Was it around the mid to late 70s? I also remember the son Jimmy, who had long blond hair when I worked there, and the daughter Mary, who sometimes helped out in the shop.

Sporran
07-Apr-06, 20:18
Gleber2, could you please make some room in your mailbox? I'm tryin' til PM ye!

Errogie
07-Apr-06, 20:55
I've been off the org for a few days and now back and catching up with a non broad band (narrow?) connection which is like going back to writing on a slate which I did in the West Public for the first 3 years. Hey, slate to silicon chips in one lifetime and it's not over yet!

The bus conductor was Johnny Sutherland and he stayed in the last cottage at the top of Rose Street, next to the place where they tipped sand down into the cement plant in the old quarry. His son Ian is still there and his daughter Carol was a school dux who I believe is now an archaeologist in Glasgow.

Off course it wasn't just the shops, does anyone remember Acky Donn selling herring from the back of a horse drawn cart. He used to holler "Herrin'" as he went down the street and folk would come to the door to buy what they needed.

We once bought a very large flat fish and put it on a plate while we had lunch. A little later there was a fearful crash from the kitchen the beast had woken up and jumped onto the floor! You don't buy fish that fresh outside of Caithness. When I went south I couldn't work out why the fish didn't taste right, it was because it had spent a week in a trawler's hold coming back from some far away fishing grounds.

Noble's horse drawn vegetable cart was of the same era.

Gleber2
07-Apr-06, 21:21
I've been off the org for a few days and now back and catching up with a non broad band (narrow?) connection which is like going back to writing on a slate which I did in the West Public for the first 3 years. Hey, slate to silicon chips in one lifetime and it's not over yet!

The bus conductor was Johnny Sutherland and he stayed in the last cottage at the top of Rose Street, next to the place where they tipped sand down into the cement plant in the old quarry. His son Ian is still there and his daughter Carol was a school dux who I believe is now an archaeologist in Glasgow.

Off course it wasn't just the shops, does anyone remember Acky Donn selling herring from the back of a horse drawn cart. He used to holler "Herrin'" as he went down the street and folk would come to the door to buy what they needed.

We once bought a very large flat fish and put it on a plate while we had lunch. A little later there was a fearful crash from the kitchen the beast had woken up and jumped onto the floor! You don't buy fish that fresh outside of Caithness. When I went south I couldn't work out why the fish didn't taste right, it was because it had spent a week in a trawler's hold coming back from some far away fishing grounds.

Noble's horse drawn vegetable cart was of the same era.

Are ye sure id wis Acky Don. Id wis aalways Alec Cannop, aka Mealymouth, who also ran e' bathing huts and hed e' pony on e' beach when id wisna pulling his fish cert. His youngest loon wis ma best freend in e' Glebe. Ah wis aalways chelous o' him cause he aalways hed a horse when he wis a cowboy in e' gala week!!I hed none of course.

Sporran
08-Apr-06, 07:21

Nice to see you back, Errogie! :o) Thanks for the info on Johnny the bus conductor, who had such a wonderful sense of humour. I had forgotten all about the cement plant in the old quarry, till you mentioned it!

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
09-Apr-06, 06:58
Gleber2 you seem to have a great memory about the old days and while reading some of the things in Thurso shop posts could you take the trouble to remind an old thurso boy of who used to run the Chip van,I remember when it used to come arround thr Glebe,best feed us kids had,even got a newspaper it was wraped in http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

gleeber
09-Apr-06, 09:39
Its a bit early in the morning for that Gleber, but this gleeber is alive and well darkie. A guy called Page from castletown was the first to come to the glebe with his chip van. His son sometimes posts on here and coincidentaly lives in Oz. I seem to recall Jimmy Ferrier bought it from him but I am not sure about that. Then, Angie Maclellan from Smith terrace had the chip bus.
Cardosis used to have a van come round on a Sunday morning at 11. Sometimes there was competitiion between the ice cream van and the Salvation Army band who used to play outside glebers hoose. Then Lee Ross used to come round on a three wheeled big bike selling ice cream. His sons now have a painting and decorating business in Thurso.

Royster1911
09-Apr-06, 11:12
Sporran, Mary now runs the electrical shop which used to be Bruces around the corner from the county garage. Part of IM Sinclair Electricals (Ian being her husband).
Gleber2. Your spot on. I remember Alec on the cart going around shouting " Herring Herring Herring". You had to go out and place your order unless you had the same delivery every week where he would deliver it to your door.
Bridgend Building supplies are at the end of the bridge and not behind County garage, which is the car park of Summerfields

Royster1911
09-Apr-06, 11:16
Was it not Willie Reids (E&M Engineering) father who had the fruit and veg horse and cart. I remember getting a ride in the cart when it passed our house in Robert Dick Place as I knew Willie pretty well, as I still do

gleeber
09-Apr-06, 11:51
Was it not Willie Reids (E&M Engineering) father who had the fruit and veg horse and cart. I remember getting a ride in the cart when it passed our house in Robert Dick Place as I knew Willie pretty well, as I still do
Wasnt it Jimmy Sinclair?

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 13:40
[quote=darkie@dreamtilt.com.au]Gleber2 you seem to have a great memory about the old days and while reading some of the things in Thurso shop posts could you take the trouble to remind an old thurso boy of who used to run the Chip van,I remember when it used to come arround thr Glebe,best feed us kids had,even got a newspaper it was wraped in http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif[/quoteI can remember ferriers having a van and then they opened a chip shop. It might have been opposite Liptons after Peggy Mackay stopped or where Cardosi's paper shop was.

What a mess I made of this post but never mind, it's Sunday.

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 15:10
Wasnt it Jimmy Sinclair?

Id wis. I have just remembered Pages chip van and you're right. Ferrier took over and where was the chip shop they opened? Was it opposite Liptons or on Olrig Street? I remember the Sunday vans well. You never mentioned Danny Craig and Jess Kocemba on your list

gleeber
09-Apr-06, 17:15
Danny Craig was a part of the cardosi empire at that time. I dont remember Kocemba, nor the chip shop. I only remember Archie Maclennans grocer shop going in where peggy mackays chip shop was.

Gleber2
09-Apr-06, 17:22
Danny Craig was a part of the cardosi empire at that time. I dont remember Kocemba, nor the chip shop. I only remember Archie Maclennans grocer shop going in where peggy mackays chip shop was.

I've been ruminating further and now I definately remember a chip shop where Bews' Paper shop is now and I seem to remember that it was competition from Ferrier that made Peggy Mackay shut down. Could be wrong but!

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
10-Apr-06, 08:42
Thanks gleber for the chip vans, and I remember the Ice Cream bike had a big square box at the front, god havent thought of that since I was a kid Thanks http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Apr-06, 13:41
I clearly remember Robin's chip van sitting outside my house (where the bus stop opp. Skinandis is now). After the McLean's moved to Princess Street, along came another 'hot-dog' van. The name? Sandra's.

My father used to have Gordon's Butcher Shop underneath our house on the corner of Brabster/ Sir George's Street. It went on to become Maronique (ladies fashions) and what I now believe is an opticians. In the past it was once a Clydesdale Bank.

Does anyone remember the name of the wee confectioner shop on the corner of Towerhill Road? You used to have to climb steps - they were at either side(?) - to reach it. If so, what was the name of it? I can't remember.

Sporran
11-Apr-06, 03:18
I clearly remember Robin's chip van sitting outside my house (where the bus stop opp. Skinandis is now). After the McLean's moved to Princess Street, along came another 'hot-dog' van. The name? Sandra's.

My father used to have Gordon's Butcher Shop underneath our house on the corner of Brabster/ Sir George's Street. It went on to become Maronique (ladies fashions) and what I now believe is an opticians. In the past it was once a Clydesdale Bank.

Does anyone remember the name of the wee confectioner shop on the corner of Towerhill Road? You used to have to climb steps - they were at either side(?) - to reach it. If so, what was the name of it? I can't remember.

Pepsi, your mailbox is full, so you need to make some room in there!

Was there a car showroom near your dad's butcher shop? I seem to remember a Chinese restaurant in that vicinity too, and you had to go upstairs to it. It might have been above the car showroom, in fact.

Loafer
11-Apr-06, 07:08

Peps

Jocky Omand owned it before it closed, I seem to remember someone owning it previous to that, though I may be wrong. Round the corner was Billy Mackay's butchers that was then Morrisons grocers shop.

The Loafer

Buttercup
11-Apr-06, 15:33
Anyone remember Gunn's the Jewellers, opposite where the Arcade is now, then they moved to Princes Street.
Weren't Gunn's in Princess Street first, then opposite yhe arcade and from there they went to Olrig Street, where the Alliance & Leicester is today?:confused

Buttercup
11-Apr-06, 15:40
Sporran, Mary now runs the electrical shop which used to be Bruces around the corner from the county garage. Part of IM Sinclair Electricals (Ian being her husband).
Gleber2. Your spot on. I remember Alec on the cart going around shouting " Herring Herring Herring". You had to go out and place your order unless you had the same delivery every week where he would deliver it to your door.
Bridgend Building supplies are at the end of the bridge and not behind County garage, which is the car park of Summerfields
The County Garage was where Automotive is today. Ness Motors moved in when the County Garage went to Millbank Road.

Errogie
11-Apr-06, 16:30
Gleeber, You must be right about Alec Cannop who also did donkey rides on the beach, but who was Acky Don? Anyway it doesn't matter.

Instead of lying awake counting sheep and trying to drop off again before its time to leap up and start the day's toil I have the this deadly new mind game of doing a virtual shop crawl through the streets of old Thurso.

Early this morning I got stuck in Hood's monumental masons yard in Princes Street where as a kid I used to look over Alec Hood's shoulder as he chiseled names and dates onto blocks of granite in the wee shed at the back of his premises. Beginning to sound like the opening for a Stephen King novel.... But my greatest delight used to be cycling through the streets very early on a Sunday morning when they were totally deserted apart from the odd stray cat or a dog scuffling around the harbour.

Did anyone every climb down the ladder on the harbour wall opposite St. Peters into the drain/tunnel to look for the smugglers secret link to the castle? We never got far but were well frightened, I also remember a House of Shaws type of experience going up to the top of a spiral stair on the tower attached to Thurso castle and it just ended in space with pigeons ricochetting out from under the steps.

And then there was climbing down to the rocks at the end of Holburn Head for fishing which was kind of risky. When it rained and became slippery stocking soles was the order of the day on the return trip. When I left the north I got seriously into climbing mountains just to catch that buzz but don't have to frighten myself quite as much any more.

Yes I know, way off the thread and nothing to do with shops!

Gleber2
11-Apr-06, 18:02
Gleeber, You must be right about Alec Cannop who also did donkey rides on the beach, but who was Acky Don? Anyway it doesn't matter.

Instead of lying awake counting sheep and trying to drop off again before its time to leap up and start the day's toil I have the this deadly new mind game of doing a virtual shop crawl through the streets of old Thurso.

Early this morning I got stuck in Hood's monumental masons yard in Princes Street where as a kid I used to look over Alec Hood's shoulder as he chiseled names and dates onto blocks of granite in the wee shed at the back of his premises. Beginning to sound like the opening for a Stephen King novel.... But my greatest delight used to be cycling through the streets very early on a Sunday morning when they were totally deserted apart from the odd stray cat or a dog scuffling around the harbour.

Did anyone every climb down the ladder on the harbour wall opposite St. Peters into the drain/tunnel to look for the smugglers secret link to the castle? We never got far but were well frightened, I also remember a House of Shaws type of experience going up to the top of a spiral stair on the tower attached to Thurso castle and it just ended in space with pigeons ricochetting out from under the steps.

And then there was climbing down to the rocks at the end of Holburn Head for fishing which was kind of risky. When it rained and became slippery stocking soles was the order of the day on the return trip. When I left the north I got seriously into climbing mountains just to catch that buzz but don't have to frighten myself quite as much any more.

Yes I know, way off the thread and nothing to do with shops!

Gleber2 here. Dinna confuse me wi yon trosk Gleeber. Acky Don was a well know Gleber who lived in no 17 or 18 Holborn Avenue and was quite a Character. His relatives were called Jappy. Cannop never hed a donkey, it wis a shetland pony. Hoods was Hood and Sutherland. My Grandfather was the Sutherland. Aye, we must be of a similar age as our memories are very close. Ah pleasant nostalgia. Chist make ye realise how owld ye are.:lol:

Absolut1
11-Apr-06, 19:19
the shop on the corner was owner by the omands, who owned the brickworks i sir archibald rd & the yard at the dammies where obriens now is. round the corner was billy mackay the buthers who the went on to have taxis.

Absolut1
11-Apr-06, 19:22
i can remember robin getting the van ready just a few doors away from our house in seaforth road.

Sporran
12-Apr-06, 05:12
Weren't Gunn's in Princess Street first, then opposite yhe arcade and from there they went to Olrig Street, where the Alliance & Leicester is today?:confused

I thought the final location was opposite the arcade, and that it had been in Princes Street or Traill Street, prior to that.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Apr-06, 10:23
[QUOTE=Errogie]

Did anyone every climb down the ladder on the harbour wall opposite St. Peters into the drain/tunnel to look for the smugglers secret link to the castle? We never got far but were well frightened, I also remember a House of Shaws type of experience going up to the top of a spiral stair on the tower attached to Thurso castle and it just ended in space with pigeons ricochetting out from under the steps. QUOTE]

Erm, aye... there is a tunnel, for sure. One day all will be revealed.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Apr-06, 10:24
Peps

Jocky Omand owned it before it closed, I seem to remember someone owning it previous to that, though I may be wrong. Round the corner was Billy Mackay's butchers that was then Morrisons grocers shop.

The Loafer

You're right... just after Jockster high-tailed it to the land of Oz. I think?

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Apr-06, 10:25
i can remember robin getting the van ready just a few doors away from our house in seaforth road.

Yeah. I used to live in Seaforth Place just before he put the chip van together. My family were the first to 'test' red puddings and patties. What a claim to fame, eh?

Gleber2
12-Apr-06, 12:56
You're right... just after Jockster high-tailed it to the land of Oz. I think?

Is the Novar Arms Evanton in OZ?

Absolut1
12-Apr-06, 21:43
i meant seaforth place, i think you were acroos the road from me mr gordon, i was in number 6. And as far as i know jocky died

Sporran
13-Apr-06, 04:03
The TSB used to be Miller Calders.

How long ago did Miller Calder's furniture shop close down? Is Munro's the chemist stll next door?

Gleber2
13-Apr-06, 13:47
How long ago did Miller Calder's furniture shop close down? Is Munro's the chemist stll next door?

Quite a few years since the last Miller Calder died, it's now a bank. Chemist is still there but a different name.
The car showroom is now a furniture shop.

Remembered the Munro Butcher shop in Barrock Street and Ryries plumbers up a backsteet towards Viewfirth, which is now closed. Netta Duck's father was the plumber.

Sporran
13-Apr-06, 16:10
Quite a few years since the last Miller Calder died, it's now a bank. Chemist is still there but a different name.
The car showroom is now a furniture shop.

Remembered the Munro Butcher shop in Barrock Street and Ryries plumbers up a backsteet towards Viewfirth, which is now closed. Netta Duck's father was the plumber.

Thanks for the update, Gleber2.

I don't remember Munro the butchers in Barrock Street, nor Ryrie the plumbers. However, I do remember Netta Duck, as she was one of my English teachers at Thurso High School.

Does anyone remember when Durran's (now in Sir John's Square I believe), used to be down near the river, somewhere towards the harbour? I think it was near the Ship's Chandlers. After that, they moved to Princes Street, near the Shieling. Across the street was Luciani the photographer. Is he still located there?

Errogie
13-Apr-06, 17:47
Yep, Durrans was on the riverside and a forerunner of the ubiquitous, universal out of town DIY superstore. Great for models and distinctive smells of wood, paint and glue although the nearby slaughter house wasn't such a great retail therapy experience. Burrs bus to Tongue used to head off from near there with its load of teuchters from the wild west who of course are having the last laugh by inflicting gaelic upon a reluctant Caithness

Smells take me right back but I've never encountered anything to rival the late crab factory by the harbour!

plasticjock
13-Apr-06, 18:59
Thanks for the update, Gleber2.

I don't remember Munro the butchers in Barrock Street, nor Ryrie the plumbers. However, I do remember Netta Duck, as she was one of my English teachers at Thurso High School.

Does anyone remember when Durran's (now in Sir John's Square I believe), used to be down near the river, somewhere towards the harbour? I think it was near the Ship's Chandlers. After that, they moved to Princes Street, near the Shieling. Across the street was Luciani the photographer. Is he still located there?

I remember Durrands very well, used to buy my Dinky/Corgi/Airfix models there.
The slaughterhouse was always an irresistable draw. Me and my friend looked in one day as the sheep were being slaughtered and it was quite a traumatic experience for us.

Netta Duck at the High School...ahh yes. I remember as well Grannie Gunn for english, Mr Malcolm for maths, Mr Fishbourne (sp) for woodwork, Mr Fitzpatrick? for art, Mr Lafferty for music (he was always finding excuses for not being with us and used to leave us listening to Victor Borge records), Goofy for geography, Squeaky Dunn for science, Mrs Halliday (phhwwoaarh!) for french, and Mr Kidd for PE.
.....err sorry, we were talking about shops weren't we?

As a distant relative of Joe Cardosi on the paternal side of the family, I can remember his ice-cream van coming round Mount Pleasant on Sunday morns and I always used to buy one of his 'sliders' (with Joe's secret recipe ice-cream). My dad, when he was a young lad (pre-WW2) used to help mix Joe's ice cream on a Saturday at the back Cardosi's in Swanson Street but had to leave the room while Joe added his secret ingredient mix.

I also remember a bread van coming round in the mornings selling hot rolls and mmm....butteries. Don't know which bakery it was tho'.

The Barrock van was driven by Alistair if memory serves. He was demonstrating to my Mam one time, the 'new' plastic (instead of glass) bottles of bleach and to show they were unbreakable he dropped it on the floor of the vehicle. Well the cap flew off and bleach splashed all over the place. I'd never seen someone so embarassed as Alistair. I believe a lot of his female customers shopped there because he was considered handsome and they enjoyed flirting with him....so I've been told.

I also remember climbing down the ladder (whilst dookin' for crabs) at the harbour wall to see if I could see the smugglers entrance but it was so damp and green that I never had the nerve to go any further. I wonder if that is possibly what happened to a classmate of mine at the Miller Academy, John Gunn, who drowned in the harbour around '63-'64? I never thought of that explanation till now.

I also remember the big fire at the woodyard down by Park Lane. We could see the smoke and flames from our front window so I ran down to have a look. Couldn't get too close but saw one of the lorries in a mass of flames.

Talking about Johnny Sutherland the bus conductor...yes, he was a gem. Always smiling and full of humour. There was also a woman conductor but I don't remember her name. She seemed to be the opposite of Johnny.

I can remember one morning on the bus to the High School, we were all on the upper deck at the back and a couple of lads had opened the back window. As we passed the Post Office and were going up towards Princes Street, another driver coming out of the Post Office spotted the window open, gave a shout and ran after the bus. So help me, he caught the bus as it turned into Princes Street by banging on the side. By the time he got upstairs we were all sitting at the front. He didn't half let rip at us. Coincidently, his name was Sutherland and his wife worked in that little Tobacconist/Sweetshop opposite Hamish Cameron's in Traill Street. Joe Cardosi used to get his pipe mix from there.

Somebody on a previous post mentioned the incident that took place in the alley between Jessie Allen's and Peterkins the Chemist. I don't know if we're allowed to name names in this forum so I'll refrain from adding them in case the moderator goes apoplectic.
However, for nostalgia freaks, Pathe News covered some of the event and you can view (free) a reduced quality film taken in Thurso at the time at the following link:
http://www.britishpathe.com/product_display.php?searchword=thurso&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Buttercup
13-Apr-06, 19:12
I remember Durrands very well, used to buy my Dinky/Corgi/Airfix models there.
The slaughterhouse was always an irresistable draw. Me and my friend looked in one day as the sheep were being slaughtered and it was quite a traumatic experience for us.

Netta Duck at the High School...ahh yes. I remember as well Grannie Gunn for english, Mr Malcolm for maths, Mr Fishbourne (sp) for woodwork, Mr Fitzpatrick? for art, Mr Lafferty for music (he was always finding excuses for not being with us and used to leave us listening to Victor Borge records), Goofy for geography, Squeaky Dunn for science, Mrs Halliday (phhwwoaarh!) for french, and Mr Kidd for PE.
.....err sorry, we were talking about shops weren't we?

As a distant relative of Joe Cardosi on the paternal side of the family, I can remember his ice-cream van coming round Mount Pleasant on Sunday morns and I always used to buy one of his 'sliders' (with Joe's secret recipe ice-cream). My dad, when he was a young lad (pre-WW2) used to help mix Joe's ice cream on a Saturday at the back Cardosi's in Swanson Street but had to leave the room while Joe added his secret ingredient mix.

I also remember a bread van coming round in the mornings selling hot rolls and mmm....butteries. Don't know which bakery it was tho'.

The Barrock van was driven by Alistair if memory serves. He was demonstrating to my Mam one time, the 'new' plastic (instead of glass) bottles of bleach and to show they were unbreakable he dropped it on the floor of the vehicle. Well the cap flew off and bleach splashed all over the place. I'd never seen someone so embarassed as Alistair. I believe a lot of his female customers shopped there because he was considered handsome and they enjoyed flirting with him....so I've been told.

I also remember climbing down the ladder (whilst dookin' for crabs) at the harbour wall to see if I could see the smugglers entrance but it was so damp and green that I never had the nerve to go any further. I wonder if that is possibly what happened to a classmate of mine at the Miller Academy, John Gunn, who drowned in the harbour around '63-'64? I never thought of that explanation till now.

I also remember the big fire at the woodyard down by Park Lane. We could see the smoke and flames from our front window so I ran down to have a look. Couldn't get too close but saw one of the lorries in a mass of flames.

Talking about Johnny Sutherland the bus conductor...yes, he was a gem. Always smiling and full of humour. There was also a woman conductor but I don't remember her name. She seemed to be the opposite of Johnny.

I can remember one morning on the bus to the High School, we were all on the upper deck at the back and a couple of lads had opened the back window. As we passed the Post Office and were going up towards Princes Street, another driver coming out of the Post Office spotted the window open, gave a shout and ran after the bus. So help me, he caught the bus as it turned into Princes Street by banging on the side. By the time he got upstairs we were all sitting at the front. He didn't half let rip at us. Coincidently, his name was Sutherland and his wife worked in that little Tobacconist/Sweetshop opposite Hamish Cameron's in Traill Street. Joe Cardosi used to get his pipe mix from there.

Somebody on a previous post mentioned the incident that took place in the alley between Jessie Allen's and Peterkins the Chemist. I don't know if we're allowed to name names in this forum so I'll refrain from adding them in case the moderator goes apoplectic.
However, for nostalgia freaks, Pathe News covered some of the event and you can view (free) a reduced quality film taken in Thurso at the time at the following link:
http://www.britishpathe.com/product_display.php?searchword=thurso&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

I believe John Gunn was riding his bike down past Old St Peters and went straight ahead into the harbour.

plasticjock
14-Apr-06, 10:59
I believe John Gunn was riding his bike down past Old St Peters and went straight ahead into the harbour.

Yes...you're probably right. I remember that the searchers found the poor lad's bike first but I couldn't remember if it was found on dry land or in the water. Thanks for that.

Gleber2
23-Apr-06, 02:41
In a conversation with Gleeber I suddenly remembered Soutars grocery shop that was on the corner opposite Woolies before the arcade. It was in big shed across the road until the arcade was built. Can anyone tell me if Miss Brock was beside Liptons before Chadwicks. She sold wool etc.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
23-Apr-06, 07:14
Gleber2 here. Dinna confuse me wi yon trosk Gleeber. Acky Don was a well know Gleber who lived in no 17 or 18 Holborn Avenue and was quite a Character. His relatives were called Jappy. Cannop never hed a donkey, it wis a shetland pony. Hoods was Hood and Sutherland. My Grandfather was the Sutherland. Aye, we must be of a similar age as our memories are very close. Ah pleasant nostalgia. Chist make ye realise how owld ye are.:lol:Talking about the Glebe do you remember my Granny Robertson and Jock in 29 Holborn Ave, Jock was a shoemaker,used to be a big gathering when the Gordons came up from Aberdeen,they were the good times http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Gleber2
23-Apr-06, 12:39
[quote=darkie@dreamtilt.com.au]Talking about the Glebe do you remember my Granny Robertson and Jock in 29 Holborn Ave, Jock was a shoemaker,used to be a big gathering when the

Chock Toes was one of my all time favourite people along wi Duckie,Your mother Robin. How could I ever forget them.

darkie@dreamtilt.com.au
24-Apr-06, 08:00
[quote=darkie@dreamtilt.com.au]Talking about the Glebe do you remember my Granny Robertson and Jock in 29 Holborn Ave, Jock was a shoemaker,used to be a big gathering when the

Chock Toes was one of my all time favourite people along wi Duckie,Your mother Robin. How could I ever forget them.Thanks for that Gleber2 http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon6.gif

Sporran
28-Apr-06, 17:22
There was a wee shop on Princes Street at the corner of either Davidson's Lane or Robertson's Lane, and it sold knitwear in the late 60s and beyond. I can't remember the name of the shop, but I think the rear of the West Church was to the right, as you faced the shop. I think the monumental mason's yard was on the other side of Princes Street, as well as the Hydro Board shop. Does this ring any bells with anyone? What was the name of the shop? What kind of shop was there before it? Was it John Gunn the jeweller, perhaps?

Buttercup
28-Apr-06, 18:04
There was a wee shop on Princes Street at the corner of either Davidson's Lane or Robertson's Lane, and it sold knitwear in the late 60s and beyond. I can't remember the name of the shop, but I think the rear of the West Church was to the right, as you faced the shop. I think the monumental mason's yard was on the other side of Princes Street, as well as the Hydro Board shop. Does this ring any bells with anyone? What was the name of the shop? What kind of shop was there before it? Was it John Gunn the jeweller, perhaps?

Can't remember who was there after Gunn's Jewellers. But I remember next door, the other shop (where Binn Ends is now), was a Ladies clothes shop can't mind just now what it was called but Janette Thompson used to work there.

janette
28-Apr-06, 18:27
I think the shop was Mrs (Margaret) Mackenzie. Lovely woman and had a lot of nice things in the shop.