PDA

View Full Version : Macleod_Mcleod_Mcleoud_Macload

bega
05-Jul-09, 04:04
I am doing some searching for a dear old friend of mine for the above name, which ever was they spelt it in those days.

1st of all we start with a Robert Macleod: he was known as a Major in the "Seaforth Highlanders" and served in India and came back to the main land after 1906 until 1929(I will get to this date later).
When he returned he was stationed at "Fort George" in Inverness.
But all traces of him were apparently lost in a fire at Fort George making it even harder as traces of him are not even in the National Archives or at Kew.
The only Major that I have found leaving India with his family was on the 14th April 1860 on the ship "Simla" out of Madras headed for Southampton.

The other person we are looking for is(his daughter??) Diane Leslie Macleod who was born in 1906 in Delhi, India. We have tried invain nearly every believable contact for India and National Archives with no results.

When Diane came with her father back home she went to live with here Uncle and Aunty in Stornoway where she went to school.
These years would have been say 1911 to 1920 and 9 yrs later she got married.
The only names we have is the Aunty by the name of Kate and her cousins Donald and Ishbel which really helps as nearlly all the names in that era were those making it even harder.

In 1929 she comes to life with her marriage to Herbert Robert John ROY in Wandsworth in the June 1/4 where they lived until 1932.
From there they moved to Weymouth in Dorset where she died on the 28th July 1952.

I have turned to this forum as it does mention a great deal of "Macleod's" and there just could be someone there who may be able to inform or put us on the right track.

thank you
Wayne In OZ