PDA

View Full Version : Wick the Seaside Town of the North

Countryman
04-Jul-09, 09:51
The latest from the BBC how many homes are for sale
Link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8134053.stm

Flashman
04-Jul-09, 11:57
"Living on the coast has many attractions, such as the climate and a high quality of life.

Obviously that paticular housing analyst has never been to wick! lol

Mind you we are getting some great weather at the moment, if this is Global Warming then im all for it! :D

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jul-09, 12:38
Flashman, is it OK to say that, because you're from Wick?

Flashman
04-Jul-09, 12:46
Yep

If im being serious then i'd say Wick and Caithness in general has alot to offer people, especially incomer's looking for life on a more slow paced and quiet level.

But it has it's shortcomings too, Wick realy needs a better High School with better standards in teaching and there needs to be more things for young people to do to keep them from hanging about the street on cold winter nights.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jul-09, 12:52
You could substitute the word 'Wick' with pretty much any other small, Scottish town and your sentiment would still apply. The town is a pale shadow of the one I once knew, sadly.

Flashman
04-Jul-09, 12:58
Yes it's hayday's are certainly over and there are less and less "characters" going about that used to be common in Wick.

Alot of trouble at the weekend on the streets aswell.... needs to be sorted.

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jul-09, 13:01
Yes it's hayday's are certainly over and there are less and less "characters" going about that used to be common in Wick.

Alot of trouble at the weekend on the streets aswell.... needs to be sorted.

Funnily enough, the last time I was in Wick - and this has no bearing on the 'other' thread - I ventured into an Indian takeaway there whereby a rather drunken chap (spouting something about incomers and keeping Britain pure) started punching the head of some other guy because - get this - he had an Irish accent. the Irish chap was sober and (as he explained to me later) visiting his girlfriend in Wick. Am not sure if he'll be back. Food was great, though.

Flashman
04-Jul-09, 13:10
Funnily enough, the last time I was in Wick - and this has no bearing on the 'other' thread - I ventured into an Indian takeaway there whereby a rather drunken chap (spouting something about incomers and keeping Britain pure) started punching the head of some other guy because - get this - he had an Irish accent. the Irish chap was sober and (as he explained to me later) visiting his girlfriend in Wick. Am not sure if he'll be back. Food was great, though.

Aye that's rather shocking but unfortunatly getting all the more common, you would think the Highlands would be the last place you would hear racial claptrap like that.

Sad to hear a visitor to the county having an experiance like that :~(

P.S yeah the food is good there, freindly staff aswell

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Jul-09, 13:16
Aye that's rather shocking but unfortunatly getting all the more common, you would think the Highlands would be the last place you would hear racial claptrap like that.

Sad to hear a visitor to the county having an experiance like that :~(

P.S yeah the food is good there, freindly staff aswell

To be fair, that kind of thing isn't exclusive to Wick. By and large, most of my experiences of Wick have been good ones.

Flashman
04-Jul-09, 13:21
To be fair, that kind of thing isn't exclusive to Wick. By and large, most of my experiences of Wick have been good ones.

That's good to hear, I guess every town has it's fair share of idiots!

telfordstar
04-Jul-09, 13:23
That's good to hear, I guess every town has it's fair share of idiots!

Thats some cat fight there :lol: