PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair friendly walks?

FieryFairy
03-Jul-09, 07:25
Does anyone know if there is a list of wheelchair friendly walks in Caithness? Our youngest child is disabled and as he's no longer that light, we won't really be able to carry him on longer walks this summer. I have phoned and emailed the council asking if there is something published, but they don't seem to have anything.

We can get through the shorter walk in Dunnet forest just fine and most parks of course, but are struggling to get onto many beaches as most of the ones we visit seem to have steps. Could anyone tell me about Rumster forest or the one near Reay? Any beaches that are easy to get on to? I seem to remember Golspie being ok, but would like something further north.

Perhaps we just need to find new places to go! Any recommendations welcome! :)

Fluff
03-Jul-09, 20:59
Its been a few years since I have been there, but what about the walk around Castletown Harbour?

Kevin Milkins
03-Jul-09, 22:55
We took my elderly mother in law for a long walk up the river side in Wick from the Coghill bridge to lower Gillock and it was easy going with plenty to see and lots of seating along the way to rest.

A very nice walk to have a picnic. :Razz

You can drive down onto Reiss beach with a suitable car.

FieryFairy
04-Jul-09, 07:42
Thanks Fluff! Yes, that would be a good flat walk. We've been there in the past, so will re-visit!

FieryFairy
04-Jul-09, 07:45
Thanks Kevin, will try that walk this summer! Where is the access to drive nearer to Reiss beach? We normally park up where everyone parks for the golf, and then there are the steps down onto the beach...

Kevin Milkins
04-Jul-09, 07:56
Thanks Kevin, will try that walk this summer! Where is the access to drive nearer to Reiss beach? We normally park up where everyone parks for the golf, and then there are the steps down onto the beach...

If you come back to the main road and turn left towards Wick, after a few hundred yards their is another lane that leads down to the beach and although it is better suited to four wheel drive to get onto the beach you can get closer than the golf club end.

FieryFairy
04-Jul-09, 21:53
Thanks very much for that Kevin! I'll give it a try. :)

lynne duncan
10-Jul-09, 11:32
dunbeath beach is lovely, very easy to access and picnic benches right beside beach and toilets beside the harbour, and then the walk up the strath is quite nice, trying to remember how flat it is for wheelchair access
have you spoken to the countryside rangers, sure they would be able to help you with this query