PDA

View Full Version : Should Ronnie Biggs be freed ?

Alice in Blunderland
02-Jul-09, 23:06
It looks like he may eventually die in prison.

What do you think ?

Should he now be feed on account that he is an old sick man or should he serve his time.

golach
02-Jul-09, 23:07
Alice in one word NO, he has never said he has regretted it once

Bobinovich
02-Jul-09, 23:14
Had he not escaped he would have served probably 15 of his 30 year sentence and been out by the age of about 50 - instead he chose to run and have 30 years as a fugitive but with a relatively easy lifestyle.

IMO let him stay where he is.

maverick
02-Jul-09, 23:26
Let him go he has probably suffered in more ways than we can imagine, cant see him re-offending any time soon, and I'm sure that as he reflects on his life, he would be full of regret. He did give himself up after all.

teenybash
02-Jul-09, 23:37
Let him go home...there are far worse walking the streets than Ronnie Briggs has ever been..........murderers, child abusers who have served paltry ineffectual sentences, who will go on and offend again....Ronnie Briggs won't.

Mystical Potato Head
02-Jul-09, 23:37
Considering that killers can be freed after 15 years or less and Ronnie Biggs did NOT commit murder,he robbed a train,he should be "let home to die".
Jack Straws comment about him showing no remorse and had courted the media so will not be freed is ridiculous.How many rapists and murderers have been set free early only to kill or rape again?
I assume they showed "remorse" and told the parole board what they wanted to hear.
Biggs is hardly liable to re offend, is he?He can barely stand up.

Yes Biggs legged it to Brazil knowing there was no extradition agreement between the two coutries and proceeded to party big time and rather arrogantly act like a big celebrity whilst escaping his punishment but i would rather see his cell made available for some lowlife who is a serious risk to the general public and not used to house a sick old man who is almost an octogenarian.
I think the Parole Board recommended he be freed but Straw thought otherwise,rejecting the advice given to him.
What would be wrong with putting him under some sort of house arrest with a member of his family,he sure as hell aint going to leg it,is he.
Leaving a terminally?sick robber to die in jail just doesn't seem civilised to me.PPL like Ian Brady,Dennis Nilsin and Rose West commited crimes that were so appalling that they will be prisoners till they die and rightly so.
Biggs hardly fits that criteria.

lagertops
02-Jul-09, 23:45
Yes- there is worse people in the world than him right now! He's done his time!

Fran
02-Jul-09, 23:48

I totally agree. some have done a lot worse and arewalking the streets.

butterfly
02-Jul-09, 23:53
He should be let home to die,he's hardly gonna reoffend.The prisons are chock a block as it is.Give the cell to someone else who deserves it more.

Metalattakk
02-Jul-09, 23:53

No he hasn't. He's served only 11 years of his sentence.

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jul-09, 01:41
No he hasn't. He's served only 11 years of his sentence.

And murderers serve only 15 years of their "life sentance" They dont serve their sentance either. so your point is .......well pointless.

Metalattakk
03-Jul-09, 02:10
And murderers serve only 15 years of their "life sentance" They dont serve their sentance either. so your point is .......well pointless.

Only 8 years given time off for good behaviour, in some instances.

But that's not the point. The point is he was sentenced to 30 years, served one and ed off to Brazil to live the high life, meanwhile flicking the 'Vs' back at the UK all throughout.

Then, when his health is failing and he can't get the treatment he needs, he turns himself in? So he's spent 10 years since behind bars, sucking at the prison service hospital teat all the while. That was his choice. He's made his hospital bed, he can lie in it.

Even if he serves his 15 years (the commonly held 50% time off the sentence for good behaviour) he's still got the added sentence for breaking out of the pokey in the first place to think about.

And if he's so ill - some reports have him now as oblivious to his surroundings - what use to him would it be to be set free? None, that's what.

This whole issue is no more than a crusade by his son and representatives.

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jul-09, 02:15
Totally agree about the flicking the V's bit.Very well put.:lol:

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 03:16
..."And if he's so ill - some reports have him now as oblivious to his surroundings - what use to him would it be to be set free? None, that's what."...
Ah for Gawdsakes have a wee bit of compassion!
It might make it a bit easier for his family.
:eek:

Metalattakk
03-Jul-09, 03:40
What exactly has his family got to do with it?

Was he thinking of his family when he commited his many crimes? Was he thinking of his family when he ed off to Brazil?

Compassion for his family counts for naught, he has negated that by his own actions. As I already said, he's made his bed, he can die lie in it.

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 03:57
What exactly has his family got to do with it?

Was he thinking of his family when he commited his many crimes? Was he thinking of his family when he ed off to Brazil?

Compassion for his family counts for naught, he has negated that by his own actions. As I already said, he's made his bed, he can die lie in it.

OK. Agreed, he probably won't know much about it. But his Brazilian son seems to be a caring person who wants to ease his father's passing.
Is that too much to ask?:confused

Metalattakk
03-Jul-09, 04:05
Is that too much to ask?:confused

Yes. The servitude of his sentence has nothing to do with his family, especially considering he still has a fair bit to go yet in that respect.

JAWS
03-Jul-09, 04:19
And murderers serve only 15 years of their "life sentance" They dont serve their sentance either. .They didn't when Biggs was sentenced, the Judge put a black cap on and sent them to drop by for a short meeting with a nice man called Albert.

...It might make it a bit easier for his family.
:eek:If he himself were concerned about his family he would have remained in Brazil where his family was. The reason he was allowed to remain there was that he had a son who was born there, the son who is now over here making such a fuss about his poor daddy. Biggs claimed he wanted to come back to Britain because he wanted to die here. The reason he came back was because he thought he would be treated as some sort of folk hero, that all would be forgiven and he could have his ailments treated free on the NHS, something I doubt he would have got in Brazil.

The Great Train Robbers, including Biggs, were no sweet innocents, they were professional gangsters willing to do whatever was necessary to carry out whatever crime they were involved in. The only reason Jack Mills, the train driver, did not get a more severe beating than he did was because he was needed to drive the train. I have little doubt that if it had been necessary to beat him to death to persuade somebody else to drive the train then that would have happened.

Biggs laughs off the fact that he beat Mills severely about the head with a metal bar as something quite trivial akin to having given him a few slaps. He has lived his life arrogantly pointing out to the world that he couldn’t be touched and had escaped punishment and came back here in the same arrogant belief.
Well, he was wrong, and now he knows it. Sympathy? Compassion? I have as much of that for him as he had for the man’s life he helped destroy.

Besides, he wanted to return here to live out the rest of his life. Well he can do that just as well in prison as he can anywhere else in Britain and still have his wish.

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 04:25
..."The servitude of his sentence"... Really, what does it matter now.
The severity of his sentence was because of a crime against Capitalism. There are far worse walking the streets and probably still offending today.
Men who raped and murdered young boys in organised rings have had lighter sentences, and are free today!
This old man is a threat to no one.
Thanks for your PM btw.

BINBOB
03-Jul-09, 06:22
Let him go home...there are far worse walking the streets than Ronnie Briggs has ever been..........murderers, child abusers who have served paltry ineffectual sentences, who will go on and offend again....Ronnie Briggs won't.

I totally agree ,teenybash....;)

joxville
03-Jul-09, 07:05
He was a small-time thug who couldn't pass up the chance to mix it with the big boys no more than he could pass a wet fart. Jack Mills' life was shortened considerably by the bashing he received and as Metalattakk said, Biggs flicked the 'V' at this country for long enough so now we should give the same in return.

northener
03-Jul-09, 09:38
He is a criminal who chose to evade the Law in this country.

He still has sentance outstanding in the UK.

This is a man who constantly crowed about his own inept life as an exile and wasn't slow in cashing in on his own 'noteriety'.

No sympathy whatsoever. The only concession I would allow him would be to die in a UK prison. If i was feeling particularly vindictive - I wouldn't have allowed him back in the UK at all.

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Jul-09, 09:52
Considering that killers can be freed after 15 years or less and Ronnie Biggs did NOT commit murder,he robbed a train,he should be "let home to die".
Jack Straws comment about him showing no remorse and had courted the media so will not be freed is ridiculous.How many rapists and murderers have been set free early only to kill or rape again?
I assume they showed "remorse" and told the parole board what they wanted to hear.
Biggs is hardly liable to re offend, is he?He can barely stand up.

Yes Biggs legged it to Brazil knowing there was no extradition agreement between the two coutries and proceeded to party big time and rather arrogantly act like a big celebrity whilst escaping his punishment but i would rather see his cell made available for some lowlife who is a serious risk to the general public and not used to house a sick old man who is almost an octogenarian.
I think the Parole Board recommended he be freed but Straw thought otherwise,rejecting the advice given to him.
What would be wrong with putting him under some sort of house arrest with a member of his family,he sure as hell aint going to leg it,is he.
Leaving a terminally?sick robber to die in jail just doesn't seem civilised to me.PPL like Ian Brady,Dennis Nilsin and Rose West commited crimes that were so appalling that they will be prisoners till they die and rightly so.
Biggs hardly fits that criteria.

Aye, Biggs had nae say in whit happened to the lamping of the driver...?

scorrie
03-Jul-09, 14:35

I have to agree, Ronnie BRIGGS will never re-offend. There is a simple reason for this:-

He's DEAD :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Briggs

As for Ronnie Biggs, I believe each case should be judged individually. I see little evidence of regret from Ronnie Biggs. He hasn't served his sentence the way most prisoners do. If he had done he would be a free man now. You can't screw the system and then howl for mercy. He has only himself to blame for his situation. Perhaps for once he can be man enough to accept that fact.

teenybash
03-Jul-09, 15:21
I have to agree, Ronnie BRIGGS will never re-offend. There is a simple reason for this:-

He's DEAD :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Briggs

I meant Biggs ....OOoops:eek:

changilass
03-Jul-09, 16:29
Alice thanks for starting this thread, it has changed my mind.

I was of the opinion that he is an old duffer and with regards some other crimes he got too long a sentence, so you should just let the owld git free.

Having read others comments and now looked into it further, I would say leave him where he is.

He knew what he was doing and knew what the likely timescale of a sentence would be at the time.

Thanks all for helping me changing my mind .

hails4
03-Jul-09, 16:39
supprised no one has said "dont do the crime if you cant do the time", Killing and being a thief and yet people still want him free, this is why we have murderers on our streets now, becuase people want them there.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Jul-09, 17:16
Alice thanks for starting this thread, it has changed my mind.

I thought it was worthy of debate. :)

I personally think that if you are sentenced to a time then you serve that time. Too many criminals are being released early then going on to re-offend. As has been said if you do the crime you do the time.

As for Jack Straw keeping him in against the parole boards recommendation he should be doing this more often with more prisoners. :) If not then he should not be interfering with Ronnie's case why make an example of one ? Keep them all in until time is served.

Yes Ronnie is an old frail man now but he at least got to grow old unlike the train driver.

As for his son and family wanting him out ...........what about the family of the train driver they would love to have him with them today would they not?

wicker8
03-Jul-09, 17:17
i also agree with teeny bash well said:Razz:Razz

Amy-Winehouse
03-Jul-09, 20:14
It looks like he may eventually die in prison.

What do you think ?

Should he now be feed on account that he is an old sick man or should he serve his time.

Has he done the time? well he did the crime......

catran
03-Jul-09, 22:49
I totally agree ,teenybash....;)
I also agree teenybash, lots worse prowling around after getting out of prison , being rehoused with a grant to move to a new area, police protection and a new identity. Who knows who is living next door anymore so let poor old Biggs out he cant be much of a threat to anyone,

JAWS
04-Jul-09, 01:25
For clarification, Biggs was not tried for "being a threat to the public" and neither was that the reason he was sent to prison.
He was tried and convicted for being a member of a gang of professional criminals who committed an armed robbery. He was then sentenced to prison as punishment for that crime and not because he might frighten little old ladies.

He was sentenced to thirty years and should be treated no differently to any other prisoner getting such a sentence.

I have no doubt that Ian Brady is no longer a threat to the public, anybody want to feel sympathy for him and say he should also be released for that reason?

JAWS
04-Jul-09, 01:44
I also agree teenybash, lots worse prowling around after getting out of prison , being rehoused with a grant to move to a new area, police protection and a new identity. Who knows who is living next door anymore so let poor old Biggs out he cant be much of a threat to anyone,That says more about the farcical inadequacy of the punishment of criminals in this day and age and how some are given far more protection than law-abiding people than it does about being a reason for Biggs to be set free.
As for Biggs family, there is his son, and there is his son, and there is his son. And I have no sympathy for him either, he should be packed off back to Brazil because he has no call on this country at all. Biggs played on the fact that his son was a Brazilian Citizen as a ruse not to be returned here by the Brazilian Authorities. The son was just another pawn in Biggs game of not being returned here to serve his sentence.

Aaldtimer
04-Jul-09, 02:57
Jaws..."He was tried and convicted for being a member of a gang of professional criminals who committed an armed robbery. He was then sentenced to prison as punishment for that crime and not because he might frighten little old ladies..."

So why did this crime attract a sentence of 30 years?
Which was twice the normal sentence of life for murder at the time, which was usually regarded as 15 years, with time off for good behaviour!
Because it was a crime against Capitalism, nothing to do with the poor fella that got beat up and subsequently died long after the event.

Bazeye
04-Jul-09, 14:15
Was it proved that it was actually Biggs who hit the train driver?

joxville
04-Jul-09, 15:33
Does it matter who hit him, they were all after the money and didn't care who got in the way. In fact, they took as part of the gang a train driver they had befriended but he had no experience of that train so they needed Jack Mills to move it but he refused so that's when he was hit with an iron bar, though no-one has admitted who actually wielded the weapon. Ultimately, in their eyes the end justified the means, so to my mind one is as guilty as the other.

As far as I can recall, one of the detectives involved in the case managed to narrow it down to one of three possible people that hit Jack Mills but couldn't say who for lack of evidence.

jean
04-Jul-09, 16:10
he can stay where he is.

balto
04-Jul-09, 18:52
i think this man should be allowed home to die, cant see him causing anyone any problems. there are others who have murdered and have been let out in less time.

BINBOB
04-Jul-09, 22:48
i think this man should be allowed home to die, cant see him causing anyone any problems. there are others who have murdered and have been let out in less time.

H very true...Iwould feel safer if if he lived near me than some other maniacs they let loose in the community,even after a murder!!!

scorrie
05-Jul-09, 14:55
Poor Ronnie Biggs, the Justice System in this country is all wrong:-

Here's the answer:-

Fat people on benefits get this reward:-

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/firing_squad_2.jpg

Broken Down Bankrobbers get this (Bankrobbers eh? What are they like? Tee Hee) :-

"Sorry about the cell Mr Biggs, it's the best we could get at short notice"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/04aRoyalBanquetHall.jpg

Tom Cornwall
06-Jul-09, 16:34
Was he thinking of his family when he commited his many crimes? .

what does 'many' mean here? how many crimes are you talking about? it seems the crime, after all these years, is that he seemed to make a fool of the authorities in trying to get him back. He's not going to re-offend, so why take up a space in prison, or perhaps it's a hospital bed, and wasting the time of the prison officers who have to guard him.

Metalattakk
06-Jul-09, 16:54
it seems the crime, after all these years, is that he seemed to make a fool of the authorities in trying to get him back. He's not going to re-offend, so why take up a space in prison, or perhaps it's a hospital bed, and wasting the time of the prison officers who have to guard him.

When he's served his original sentence, then served an added sentence for breaking out of jail and sodding off to South America, I'll agree to his release.

Until then, nope, sorry, no matter how 'harmless' to society, no chance.

This is why we have laws, and punishments for breaking them.

stiggy
06-Jul-09, 23:22
No he shouldn't be released.

He was given a sentence and should do the full length of it. He choose to do the crime and to flee justice, just as he choose to return to the UK for free medical care well he's getting that where he is so keep him there. Did he give any thought to his victim who may have survived his attack but never truely recovered, or to his family.