PDA

View Full Version : Please help

rs 2k
02-Jul-09, 20:57
Our computer won't switch on!!!!!

It was on then we had a powercut,computer never got turned back on when the power came back on coz then the thunder and lightening started so i switched off all the plugs

Now the weather is good again, switched the plugs back on but computer won't switch on, everything else is working fine

What damage could be done?

No we don't have a surge protector, stupid i know

Anyone know please????

Aaldtimer
02-Jul-09, 21:07
Are you sure there is power on the wall socket?:confused

rs 2k
02-Jul-09, 21:15
Yes [lol]

Everything else thats plugged into the same extension is on

Dynamic Sounds
02-Jul-09, 21:51
remove the power lead from the socket, aand the back of the pc, wait a min then put them back in. This has worked for more than one PC I have used

Aaldtimer
02-Jul-09, 21:54
Check the fuse in the plug of the lead.:)

youoldduffer
02-Jul-09, 22:22
remove the power lead from the socket, aand the back of the pc, wait a min then put them back in. This has worked for more than one PC I have used

Yup me too on many occasions

Bobinovich
02-Jul-09, 23:46
If Dynamic's advice doesn't work, is there any lights or sound at all when the system is switched on? If not then its possible that the PC's power supply has died. This may or may not kill the motherboard, and I've also found situations where a surge has come down the telephone line (although mostly to older dial-up modems) and taken out the motherboard that way.

rs 2k
03-Jul-09, 09:52
HI

My son unplugged the power cable and there was a big bang, so that didn't work [lol]

as for sound and lights etc, when u push the power button nothing happens, so can't switch it on, but if u look in the back of it u can c a little orange light, well u did til the big bang and i just left it :(

blueivy
03-Jul-09, 15:21
Sounds like the power supply is dead now if it wasn't earlier!

If you feel confident get a new power supply and replace the one in the computer to see if you can get it running. However it may be a case of going through the components one at a time replacing them if they have been damaged. You'll only know that when you have a working power supply though!