PDA

View Full Version : Thunder And Lightning

The Angel Of Death
02-Jul-09, 18:23
Watching it in thurso the now cool stuff

Serenity
02-Jul-09, 18:27
Yeah it is cool but is causing electric to drop.. also I seem to have no mobile signal now (Orange) and my kitties have gone mad. Oh well hope it clears the air :)
Anyone else having mobile phone issues?

BINBOB
02-Jul-09, 18:29
Yippeeeee...it is raining................;)

Julia
02-Jul-09, 18:31
is it heading over towards Wick? We could do with some rain here too, never thought I'd ever say those words!! :eek:

Kodiak
02-Jul-09, 18:31
Yes some good Light show in Thurso, poor Mrs Kodiak is running around daft trying to get Good Photograph od some Lightning. :D

But the bad bit is that it is making SKY TV go and now we have no Satellite Signal due to the weather. :(

changilass
02-Jul-09, 18:32
Its not hit Castletown just yet (but wont be much longer) so you have a wait for it to get to Wick

The Angel Of Death
02-Jul-09, 18:38
Suprised it hasnt been going for a good 10 - 15 mins here

changilass
02-Jul-09, 18:57
Got it just after I posted lol

The wee man is terrified cos the power went off and its thunder and lightening bless him.

Def wont need to water the garden tonight lol.

The Angel Of Death
02-Jul-09, 18:59
Think the worst of it is over with up thurso way shame cause its nice to watch :~(

Tighsonas4
02-Jul-09, 19:03
is it heading over towards Wick? We could do with some rain here too, never thought I'd ever say those words!! :eek:
go along with you there julia the garden could with a soaking [lol] tony

nicnic74
02-Jul-09, 19:17

No wanting thunder, lightning or rain enjoying this lovely weather & iv just put out a load of washing no wanting it to get washed again by e rain:(

arat
02-Jul-09, 19:18
yes it was well cool

northener
02-Jul-09, 19:35
Good news.

I've got the copper poles rigged up to collect the charge.

There should be enough power to enable me to escape the Earths' gravitational pull.

Vistravi
02-Jul-09, 20:00
Very glad for the rain today. my work has been like a sauna. It's such a shame on the kids to be constantly sweating all day inside and out. not to mention its horrible sweating all day like a river for 9 hours every day.
I've hated the last few days.

Today started off bad as got to work grumpy as thought it would be yet again another horrible sweating rivers day with grumpy kids. (Heat is nice but too much for everyone, its horrible) Got to late afternoon and the rain started.
So much excitement in staff and kids! Kids loved it, wanted out to play earlier. We were going to go out anyway as we do after snack and in the morning after snack come rain or shine. Got outside and the staff and kids wore mimisile outdoor wear as the soak would make us all feel better after sweating all day so far. it was brilliant! Don't know who enjoyed it more the kids or the staff.
Then the lightening began and we legged it inside getting the kids in as quick as we could as it was very near to us.

02-Jul-09, 20:13
A number of posts have had to be removed from this thread due to idle gossip.

Admin and moderators have warned about this before.

Think before you post, would you like to hear about something on here first if one of your loved ones was involved?

Moderator.

rs 2k
02-Jul-09, 20:22
My brother-in-law is in inverness today and he said matalan was flooded

We don't have a surge protector and now our computer won't switch on, is it knackered?

Hope not coz its not that old, will have to buy a surge protector, a bit late now tho :confused

Just aswell we have a laptop 2 [lol]

Mystical Potato Head
02-Jul-09, 20:34
Managed to get a picture of the lightning from Thurso.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=80269

matelot79
02-Jul-09, 20:35
Yippeeeee...it is raining................;)

Don't think the shop owners at the bottom of Olrig street will be to impressed, must have been a good 6 inches of water at the back of the bank when I drove out of the coop carpark.

Dadie
02-Jul-09, 20:37
None in Watten yet!
But it will probably start when im half way into a walk with the dog!
A good downpour would clear the air and dampen down the pollen.

Moira
02-Jul-09, 20:43
A few thunder clouds threatened the Wick area late afternoon with a brief power cut. Since then the sun re-appeared and continues to shine. :D

changilass
02-Jul-09, 20:45
lol Moira it is a lot lighter here than it was at 6ish, sun cracking the flags again.

Ash
02-Jul-09, 20:57
my home phone isnt working, so not happy bout that and have had one scared child and dog

joxville
02-Jul-09, 21:03
Yeah it is cool but is causing electric to drop.. also I seem to have no mobile signal now (Orange) and my kitties have gone mad. Oh well hope it clears the air :)
Anyone else having mobile phone issues?
My son lives close to Naver football park and called me during the thunderstorm, he's with Orange and had no problem with the signal.

dirdyweeker
02-Jul-09, 21:34
Had the power cut this afternoon but it did not interrupt my sun bathing. I personally do not want rain, please keep the sun shining! This is such an exception for us Wickers to get so much for so long. Am loving it.:cool:

kia
02-Jul-09, 21:36
Was out at loch more with the dogs at around about 6pm when the thunder and lightning started was absolutely spectacular out there and it lasted for a good 40 minutes before moving towards Thurso lightning in the hills was awesome , was getting fork lightining at one end and streaks at the other end of the loch..Drove back into Thurso following the storm all the way in was really impressive. :cool::cool:

Kevin Milkins
02-Jul-09, 21:45
It looked and felt like we were in for some thunder and lighting here in Wick so I put my hanging baskets in and batened down the hatches, but it came to nought.

I was a bit miffed as I have not seen a thunder storm in over three years.:confused

Dog-eared
02-Jul-09, 22:15
Lots of flooding to shops and a pub in Thurso and a lightning strike to a house. An amazing amount of weather in such a short time. Still, its dry now.

weeksider
02-Jul-09, 22:18
Power flickered in afternoon in town due to lightning storms in Tain area .
flicked a few times since then also
Been heavy showers in Inverness too

Doreen
02-Jul-09, 23:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8xb8WhMJQ

Very good footage of the lightning in thurso tonight. Start paying attention to the video at 40-42 seconds. Scary though! :eek:

purplelady
02-Jul-09, 23:50
Still nothing here in Wick thank goodness i hate it lol. We did have a few flickers but nothing came off it and my 3 mobile signal was down for a while mind you it does piggie back orange x

Moira
03-Jul-09, 00:21
lol Moira it is a lot lighter here than it was at 6ish, sun cracking the flags again.

The sun always shines on the righteous Changi :)

teenybash
03-Jul-09, 00:28

Very good footage of the lightning in thurso tonight. Start paying attention to the video at 40-42 seconds. Scary though! :eek:

Gosh,:eek: I nearly had a bigger fright just watching the video......................

gleeber
03-Jul-09, 00:29

classic. :eek:[lol]

theone
03-Jul-09, 00:30

Oh how I laughed........

joxville
03-Jul-09, 00:45

Brilliant capture. [lol]

wifie
03-Jul-09, 00:50

Fantastic! [lol]

Connor.
03-Jul-09, 01:04
Very good video that!

The storm certainly was amazing, it total made my day as this hot weather has been giving me hell with my hayfever. I stood outside in shorts and t-shirt and enjoyed the rumbles and flashes.

BRING ON SOME MORE STORMS!!!

teddybear1873
03-Jul-09, 01:09
I remember the first time I seen thunderstorms when I arrived in South Carolina in December 2008, It was amazing to watch. There's at least 2-3 thunderstorms a week here. Some are pretty wicked to see but can be dangerous if your stuck outside.

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 03:07
Pah! Call that a storm!
You want to experience a Monsoon in Singapore!
Or anywhere in the far east!
When I was out there in 1970/1, not sure which, there was 14 inches of rain overnight!
The dual carriageway from Johor Bahru to Singapore City turned into a river. It was at least a 100 yards wide with a drain in the middle.
We were marooned in the estate we lived in. Couldn't get to work...What a bummer!:lol:

butterfly
03-Jul-09, 03:33

That was a cracker! Didna expect it to be so loud,i jumped when it let rip i can tell you!

hobbes1962
03-Jul-09, 07:41

Lol, that was fantastic. That bit at 40-42 seconds must of been when one of my neighbours kids started screaming like mad!! Poor bairn. Have to admit I would have screamed too if I'd been on my own in the house but luckily my OH was with me

joxville
03-Jul-09, 07:49
We're expecting thunderstorms today even though it has rained through the night, and guess which numpty left his washing hanging out? [disgust]

ett23
03-Jul-09, 08:50
Loved the video - it's brilliant seeing lightning striking like that! We were in the car during the thunderstorm and sitting at the traffic lights at Sir John's Square when lightning struck and the power went off. Then the traffic lights came back on again and the sequence had skipped us so we had to wait for ages before it was our turn to go!! The thunder was intense - even louder than in the video!! My DD was pretty scared to say the least. I kept reminding her we're perfectly safe in the car cos the tyres are made of rubber!!! :lol:

ShelleyCowie
03-Jul-09, 09:07
Me, my best mate, my OH, my sister and kids were all out in the back garden. What a gust of wind suddely came then lightening. My OH loves thunderstorms!! I dont mind them, but it looked so close when we came inside.

All the electricals in my house was sparking. had to run and shut off the mains and pull the aerial out my sky to stop the sparks. :confused

brandy
03-Jul-09, 09:55
we never got any of the thundering and lightning! was looking foward to it!

ShelleyCowie
03-Jul-09, 10:13

Wow i played that on surround sound through my tv! What a noise! Genius tho!

Liz
03-Jul-09, 14:00
Ha ha. That was brilliant!!!:lol:

cuddlepop
03-Jul-09, 14:51
Dog is now under the computer that was some rumble of thunder in that link/
Amazing capture of the lightning strike.:D

Think I would have said bleep too.:lol:

lelebo
03-Jul-09, 15:04
:O I love thunder and lightning but that was just a wee bitty too close!!! Great video!!!