PDA

View Full Version : Two Police Dogs Die in Parked Vehicle

Kodiak
02-Jul-09, 13:21
Two Police Dogs have Died after being left in a HOT Vehicle outside Police Headquaters.

The police should know better than to leave any animal in a closed Vehicle on a HOT Day, at least this is my opinion.

It is being talked about on the TV News that the Police Officer who left the Dogs could be Prosecuted by the RSPCA.

Do you think that this should happen? Here is the Link so you can read the Story and make up your own Mind :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8129826.stm

K.

teenybash
02-Jul-09, 13:48
Of course the police officer who was in charge of the dogs should be prosecuted................they failed in there duty to ensure the safety and well being of the canine officers and through their thoughtlessness and neglect...two highly trained and valuable lives were lossed........so sad.:(

JustMe
02-Jul-09, 13:54
Of course the police officer who was in charge of the dogs should be prosecuted................they failed in there duty to ensure the safety and well being of the canine officers and through their thoughtlessness and neglect...two highly trained and valuable lives were lossed........so sad.:(

100% agree. The law is the law whoever breaks it

butterfly
02-Jul-09, 13:56
Yes he should be prosecuted.Cruelty is cruelty no matter who has done it.What a hellish way for an animal to die.Slow torture.[evil]

Mik.M.
02-Jul-09, 14:04
With him being a dog handler you would expect him to know about the care of his dogs! I think he should be prosecuted, if it was a member of the public there would be a prosecution. I think he should not be allowed to work with dogs again.Most dog handlers think of thier dogs as work partners.

bobbyrussell09
02-Jul-09, 14:14
these police handlers should know best, do they have common sense .If police are handling there dogs this way,how are they handling other issues,

bothyman
02-Jul-09, 14:33
Plus this one

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8126382.stm

The Police see them as Tools of the Job not as an Animal.

If they had this would not have happened.

I remember a few years back there was something on Television about how they trained Dogs by beating them till they did as they were told .

And now this :~(

bish667
02-Jul-09, 14:34
Definately should be prosecuted, due to being in the type of job he is and especially as he is a dog warden he should be judged worse than anyone else.

BINBOB
02-Jul-09, 18:33
Needs to be prosecuted and SACKED...with no pension.How absolutely wicked/:(

Bazeye
02-Jul-09, 18:41
Needs to be prosecuted and SACKED...with no pension.How absolutely wicked/:(

Mmm....and I wonder what the chances of that happening are?

Caithness Lass
02-Jul-09, 20:10
Well you hear of things like that in America too. Some woman left her three bairns in the car whilst she went into the hairdressers on the hottest day of the year without the windows being open. When she went back to the car, she found the windows smashed and her kids had been rushed to hospital. I believe they died later. Its just common sense. The woman should never have had the kids if she didnt know to do such a simple thing as that, same with the police and their dogs!

kia
02-Jul-09, 21:41
So sad to hear about the kids , how people can be so stupid I will never know. I hate seeing dogs in cars in summer especially, with no windows open or any water in the car, I really hope they prosecute... Common sense !! The police dog handlers should know better, and I am sorry but they should be prosecuted.

loganbiffy
02-Jul-09, 21:59
It's disgusting. It baffles me how a police officer of all people can have no common sense!
Sacked and fined!

Angel
02-Jul-09, 22:22
I respect the police as do most of us as they often have a difficult job, often one that requires an instant decision to be made, somtimes its the right one and sometimes its not. Either way any decision has to command respect. A respect that is an example to us all.
Without knowing the details at this point, the officer/s who left the dogs in the circumstances that caused the dogs deaths should be prosecuted just as anyone else should be. This should also be used as an example throughout the force so ensure this sort of thing does not happen again.

Angel...

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 02:49
Having known several dog handlers in the forces, and later in civilian life, I know that the bond between them is a very special one.
Much more so than a pet/owner relationship.
There will be no-one more affected than the fellow involved.
I think the full details of this have not yet come to the fore.
My sympathies lie with the handler, who I'm sure will be beating himself up a lot more than any knee jerk reaction on here will ever effect.
Judge not lest ye be judged!:(

JAWS
03-Jul-09, 03:25
The first thing the police did was to report what happened to the RSPCA who will doubtless deal with it as they would any other such incident.
It would have been quite easy for the incident to have been covered up as it happened on their own premises so, presumably, they were the only ones who knew about it. Alternatively they could have dealt with it themselves, without informing the RSPCA, and conveniently written the deaths off as being an unfortunate accident.
The fact that they did neither of those things says a lot about their attitude towards what happened.

Somehow I don't think whoever the dog handler responsible is that he will be treated leniently and I have little doubt that the RSPCA, under the circumstances, will insist on a prosecution, and rightly so too.

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 03:34
The first thing the police did was to report what happened to the RSPCA who will doubtless deal with it as they would any other such incident.
It would have been quite easy for the incident to have been covered up as it happened on their own premises so, presumably, they were the only ones who knew about it. Alternatively they could have dealt with it themselves, without informing the RSPCA, and conveniently written the deaths off as being an unfortunate accident.
The fact that they did neither of those things says a lot about their attitude towards what happened.

Somehow I don't think whoever the dog handler responsible is that he will be treated leniently and I have little doubt that the RSPCA, under the circumstances, will insist on a prosecution, and rightly so too.

No argument from here Jaws, and let's wait until the full details come out for this unfortunate accident.:confused

Metalattakk
03-Jul-09, 03:49
Having known several dog handlers in the forces, and later in civilian life, I know that the bond between them is a very special one.
My sympathies lie with the handler, who I'm sure will be beating himself up a lot more than any knee jerk reaction on here will ever effect.

I think anyone who feels the need to respond to this thread needs to read and understand this post by Aaldtimer before they do.

bothyman
03-Jul-09, 09:19
I think anyone who feels the need to respond to this thread needs to read and understand this post by Aaldtimer before they do.

And maybe they should read this (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/police-told-to-beat-up-dogs-1177980.html) as well .

Some may have forgotten about this, but I know I never will.

weeboyagee
03-Jul-09, 13:15
And maybe they should read this (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/police-told-to-beat-up-dogs-1177980.html) as well .

Just so that you are aware of the outcome of that trial.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/208489.stm

WBG :cool:

dx100uk
03-Jul-09, 13:56

agreed...

there is more to this than meets the eye, i don't just think it is a simple case of 'forgetting' the dogs were out there.

as for linking it to the other past events, thats wrong too.
this is not in essex!

i KNOW many essex dog handlers, i can say no more for obvious reasons, but, what happened then was a 'culture' that had run for many years because of one person, a very dominant one at that.

this situation is totally diff, a handlers dogs are typically better loved than his own kids!

i feel for him, i really do, i am also frightened that the media circus will be allowed to portray and escape goat.

if it is true, then it must be a genuine accident, but it really does puzzle me, the whole thing.

dx

The Angel Of Death
03-Jul-09, 15:31
i feel for him, i really do, i am also frightened that the media circus will be allowed to portray and escape goat.

if it is true, then it must be a genuine accident, but it really does puzzle me, the whole thing.

dx

How can you accidentally leave a dog or even a kid in a roasting hot car on a roasting hot day :confused

Surly that must be the same as accidentally stabbing someone with a knife you carry around with you

As far as I'm concerned the handler SHOULD have known better they are not an average Joe with no experience they have been fully trained as a dog handler yes they will be cut up about it the same as any normal person would be but that still doesn't excuse the fact the should have known better

Flashman
03-Jul-09, 15:37
How can you accidentally leave a dog or even a kid in a roasting hot car on a roasting hot day :confused

Surly that must be the same as accidentally stabbing someone with a knife you carry around with you

As far as I'm concerned the handler SHOULD have known better they are not an average Joe with no experience they have been fully trained as a dog handler yes they will be cut up about it the same as any normal person would be but that still doesn't excuse the fact the should have known better

I agree these are PAID dog handlers, it is there job and they earn money to look after and maintain these dogs.

If it was their fault then they should carry the blame like anyone else who has made a mistake in their job.

The Angel Of Death
03-Jul-09, 15:44
I agree these are PAID dog handlers, it is there job and they earn money to look after and maintain these dogs.

If it was their fault then they should carry the blame like anyone else who has made a mistake in their job.

Steady on chap next you will be suggesting all the bankers and MP's get sacked for there "mistakes" ;)

But all joking aside yes they should carry the can and in my opinion be punished more because they simply should know better

lister
03-Jul-09, 19:23
Yes he should be prosecuted.Cruelty is cruelty no matter who has done it.What a hellish way for an animal to die.Slow torture.[evil]
Quite right flutterby but i think the punishment should fit the crime eh?
An eye for an eye!!!!!
I am a dog lover and owner and my pooch has taken the place of my youngest child thats how i look at this.
Those poor poor dogs,and those heartless non thinking coppers,this is such a sad thread i cant really say what i want cos of decency on the org.[disgust][disgust]

butterfly
03-Jul-09, 20:58

Bothyman,your link shocked me greatly.How can any human being treat an animal in this barbaric way.Little wonder you will never forget it.

As for the recent case yes the officer may very well be sorry for his actions but not half as sorry as those poor dogs that suffered a hellish death.Nothing he says or does now will make up for that.

MadPict
03-Jul-09, 22:20
No excuse for this to happen when there are kennels within yards...

The police force at the centre of a row after two of its highly-trained dogs died from heatstroke in a car had recently spent £300,000 on new kennels, it was revealed today.

The German Shepherds were found dead in a private car which had been left in the main car park at Nottinghamshire Police's headquarters in Arnold on Tuesday afternoon.

Their police handler, who was on duty, had gone inside sometime before the dogs were found dead.

The handler, who has not been suspended and is now at home on leave, could be prosecuted, the force confirmed.

Today, it emerged that the car park, which is shaded in parts, is only yards away from the force's new kennels.

They were recently built at a cost of £300,000 and have tiled floors and state-of-the-art heaters for the winter.

Stavro
04-Jul-09, 00:07
Unbelievable!

Sarah
04-Jul-09, 00:43
It's really awful to read what happened to those dogs, police of all people should know better! I think we should do the same to them. Karma.

JAWS
04-Jul-09, 01:09

Some may have forgotten about this, but I know I never will.If you intend to give the impression that what happened there, over a decade ago, was accepted and widespread then I would point out that the reason the behaviour was in the press was because the instructors involved were being prosecuted for their behaviour towards the dogs.

That in itself says that their behaviour was considered totally unacceptable as a method of training and to be quite out of the ordinary rather than general and widespread.

Whilst dog training in the past was more forceful than it is now even fifty years ago such brutality would have been considered totally unacceptable and certainly would not have been tolerated.

oldmarine
04-Jul-09, 03:55
I feel sadness for the dogs as well as the handler. A full investigation should be conducted and let the responsibility fall where it should.

mcconnachie
04-Jul-09, 09:38
Yeah, it's a tragedy and I'm sure the cop will get a hard time. It's neglect but mistakes do happen and cops get punished. I do love how certain individuals use it to sum up the Police Service. Get a life. Listen to the news every morning and the youth dieing in Afghanistan. There's an issue.

WICKER09
04-Jul-09, 13:29
Yeah, it's a tragedy and I'm sure the cop will get a hard time. It's neglect but mistakes do happen and cops get punished. I do love how certain individuals use it to sum up the Police Service. Get a life. Listen to the news every morning and the youth dieing in Afghanistan. There's an issue.

And you would not happen to be a POLICE man Mcconnachie ?

dx100uk
04-Jul-09, 16:22
And you would not happen to be a POLICE man Mcconnachie ?

oh what , that public service that no-one wants around,
but always wants in 1min when they do............urm.

dx