PDA

View Full Version : Living in CaithNESS

PantsMAN
02-Jul-09, 08:10
Caithness is a great place to live - but doesn't this weather make it brilliant?

lexie
02-Jul-09, 08:14
yep... brill !!

now if all the old dears would take there coats off... and stop saying .. "hecky its too warm!"

TRUCKER
02-Jul-09, 08:38
It makes a beautiful place even more so beautiful to live in :)

shazzy
02-Jul-09, 09:52
mother-in-law came to visit for a week,went back looking like she's been to spain! Would be nice if a law was brought in that decreed that we didnt have to work when the weathers hot,I can dream!:D

bobbyrussell09
02-Jul-09, 10:59
Myself and the other half took a walk upto old wick castle, boy was it warm an the scenery aroud looked all the more great.

Angel
02-Jul-09, 22:07
Yes it is brilliant is sunny Caithness... and if my memory serves me right I think there is a law that says you are not allowed to work over (and under) certain temperatures...

If I complain enough to my boss we end up in the pub...

Angel...

sweetpea
02-Jul-09, 22:16
I like all the Kaitness seasons, warm, cold, windy, wet or otherwise there's no better County than Caithness.

Vistravi
02-Jul-09, 22:31
Yes it is brilliant is sunny Caithness... and if my memory serves me right I think there is a law that says you are not allowed to work over (and under) certain temperatures...

Angel...

Hope that is true angel. Nursery i work in was 28 degrees today. Was very glad for the rain as was the over heated and grumpy kids. We were out as soon as it rained.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Jul-09, 22:32
I like all the Kaitness seasons, warm, cold, windy, wet or otherwise there's no better County than Caithness.

And only in Kaitness can you get all those seasons in one day. :lol: :Razz and not necessarily in the winter.

joxville
02-Jul-09, 22:41
Hope that is true angel. Nursery i work in was 28 degrees today. Was very glad for the rain as was the over heated and grumpy kids. We were out as soon as it rained.

Huh, you think that's hot, try working in my place-the temp. at top of the building was 218 degrees Celsius! :cool:

shazzap
02-Jul-09, 22:44

Angel...

Correct me if i am wrong but, this only applies to cold temps.

JAWS
03-Jul-09, 02:48
There are no set minimum or maximum temperatures now, only recommendations. All the Regulations state is that the temperature should be “reasonable”, whatever that may be.

The minimum recommended Temp for workrooms is 16C or 13C where strenuous physical work is required. (No, tapping away at a keyboard does not count as being strenuous). The recommended minimum for offices is 20C. The WHO (No, not the band, for those who are that old) recommends a maximum temp of 24C for working in comfort.

It seems there is no legal right to down tools and go home if temperatures are outside those ranges but the suggestion is that such things should be “negotiated”.
The exceptions to that is where there are “serious and imminent dangers”. That again is nice a vague so presumably those are “negotiable” as well.

There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that periods spent in hospital as a result of collapsing from heatstroke counts as overtime!

I think the situation can best be summed up as, "Yhis is how we would like it to be but if it's not then tough, there's nothing you can do about it."
Isn’t it nice to know exactly where you stand?

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 03:30
Huh, you think that's hot, try working in my place-the temp. at top of the building was 218 degrees Celsius! :cool:

Ah come on Jox, think you mean Fahrenheit!:)

joxville
03-Jul-09, 07:23
Ah come on Jox, think you mean Fahrenheit!:)

I don't actually-I make asphalt with an average mixing setpoint of 170 degrees Celsius, the smaller plant within the building mixes at an average of 190 degrees, combine the ambient temperatures and add in the metal building which surrounds us and you see why it's like working in an oven. :cool:

Aaldtimer
03-Jul-09, 14:16
Sheesh! You have my sympathy, this weather just knocks me flat!
How I survived two and a half years in Singapore mystifies me....but I was a lot younger and healthier then!:eek:

Tilly Teckel
03-Jul-09, 14:21
I don't actually-I make asphalt with an average mixing setpoint of 170 degrees Celsius, the smaller plant within the building mixes at an average of 190 degrees, combine the ambient temperatures and add in the metal building which surrounds us and you see why it's like working in an oven. :cool:
Good grief man - you must be made of asbestos!!

scorrie
03-Jul-09, 14:47

Crikey, that has to be worrying. Check out this data I found at Web Answers:-

"Depends on the moisture content of the hair. Dry human hair will melt at around 205 degrees C (401 F), and with a moisture content of 20%, around 155 C (311 F)"

Get a hat Jox ;)

joxville
03-Jul-09, 15:03
We, (obviously), have restrictions in place for the length of time we are allowed to work on top of the plant, especially if we have asphalt in storage silos overnight and go up top as part of our shutdown checks...as we walk up the stairs we can feel the heat hit quite hard and the oxygen level is almost depleted because of extreme temperature, it's just a quick look around then back downstairs.

Btw, I asked one of the guys to check the temperature standing at ground level, it was 56 degrees C.

Now you know why I'm bald scorrie! [lol]