PDA

View Full Version : moving back with mum.

cuddlepop
01-Jul-09, 13:08
Its a sign of the times when my son who is a qualified joiner cannot get a job.
He doesnt drive because he wasnt able to "finish off" learning to drive. So moving isnt an option.No local jobs, as Inverness joiners on ROC's books are over here:(
He's used up all his overdraft,owes money to his contract phone company and this month has had to move his belongings into his sisters room.Owes me a fortune.:roll:
Fortunatly she's in Glasgow at uni but its still her room.

What do you do?

At 22 and for the best part of 2 years has shared a private let with friends has got "use" to freedom.

tonkatojo
01-Jul-09, 13:46
Its a sign of the times when my son who is a qualified joiner cannot get a job.
He doesnt drive because he wasnt able to "finish off" learning to drive. So moving isnt an option.No local jobs, as Inverness joiners on ROC's books are over here:(
He's used up all his overdraft,owes money to his contract phone company and this month has had to move his belongings into his sisters room.Owes me a fortune.:roll:
Fortunatly she's in Glasgow at uni but its still her room.

What do you do?

At 22 and for the best part of 2 years has shared a private let with friends has got "use" to freedom.

It is tough on your son as thousands like him and those without a trade, could he not apply for a self empoyment grant and go on his own it could be better than dole.

The SKYE folk would probably look favourably on a local lad for jobs.

cuddlepop
01-Jul-09, 13:51
It is tough on your son as thousands like him and those without a trade, could he not apply for a self empoyment grant and go on his own it could be better than dole.

The SKYE folk would probably look favourably on a local lad for jobs.

He's got to be signing on for 6 months before the job centre can offer him this kind of support.:(

Even the local "homers" are drying up.Unless their "roof" is falling in all repairs or renovations are being left.:(

Flashman
01-Jul-09, 19:11
Is he able to get an unskilled job to tide him over until something trade wise comes up or is the job situation over there really bad?

ciderally
01-Jul-09, 21:13
as least you are thare for him....thank god for mum's and dad's .....expecting mine home shortly....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

cuddlepop
01-Jul-09, 21:16
Is he able to get an unskilled job to tide him over until something trade wise comes up or is the job situation over there really bad?

Seasonal hotel trade is usually filled by foreign workers or returning students.
No one is recruiting just now.:(

EDDIE
01-Jul-09, 21:39
If he cant drive that would cause him a big problem in his career as a joiner every joiner needs to be mobile?
But have a look at the link below
http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/webapps/jobs/jobDetails.asp?id=6650

I would say finding work up sky or anywere north would be hard at the best of time but i thought most joiners and builders were all selfemployed these days
Ideally he really needs to get a licence and a van and go self employed

Dog-eared
01-Jul-09, 22:38
Find a grant from the Broo for driving lessons ?

bobbyrussell09
02-Jul-09, 11:36
Find a grant from the Broo for driving lessons ?
They do these ?????