PDA

View Full Version : Michael Martin to get a peerage poll

golach
01-Jul-09, 11:41
I see that the Ex Speaker of the House Michael Martin is to collect a peerage. Surely not!!!
He was the first Speaker to be ousted since 1695, is this the way things are in this day and age, you automatically get rewarded for being a failure.

Alan16
01-Jul-09, 11:49
I see that the Ex Speaker of the House Michael Martin is to collect a peerage. Surely not!!!
He was the first Speaker to be ousted since 1695, is this the way things are in this day and age, you automatically get rewarded for being a failure.

I know nothing of the man, yet I am will not call him a failure because he was ousted - he was there for a good few years, and it is unfair to judge him simply on how his time as speaker ended.

Rheghead
01-Jul-09, 11:57
I think there will be a lot of votes against as a protest against the peerage system rather than the issue of Michael Martin getting a peerage.

tonkatojo
01-Jul-09, 11:57
I know nothing of the man, yet I am will not call him a failure because he was ousted - he was there for a good few years, and it is unfair to judge him simply on how his time as speaker ended.

Aye but how much did he rake in out of the trough along with the others and did nowt to put it right. why keep paying the man through a peerage.

golach
01-Jul-09, 12:00
He was the main stumbling block on the issue of publishing the Expenses of our greedy MP's, he never wanted their greed to be seen by the public.

The Pepsi Challenge
01-Jul-09, 12:19
Could we not just burn him instead?

Alan16
01-Jul-09, 12:21
He was the main stumbling block on the issue of publishing the Expenses of our greedy MP's, he never wanted their greed to be seen by the public.

I'm not defending the man, I just think it is unfair to suggest that he is a failure because he was ousted - I think a more detailed look at his history in the position is required before such judgements should be made.

golach
01-Jul-09, 14:19
Could we not just burn him instead?
I think the journalists already did that in the Media, Pepsi, The last witch burned in Scotland was 1722 in Dornoch.

Shabbychic
01-Jul-09, 14:37
I think there will be a lot of votes against as a protest against the peerage system rather than the issue of Michael Martin getting a peerage.

Exactly. I totally disagree with peerages, knighthoods and all the other daft titles. What do they actually mean nowadays anyway?

As the author J G Ballard says, " It's a system of antiquated titles and medals that really belong on a Christmas tree."

tonkatojo
01-Jul-09, 17:13
Exactly. I totally disagree with peerages, knighthoods and all the other daft titles. What do they actually mean nowadays anyway?

As the author J G Ballard says, " It's a system of antiquated titles and medals that really belong on a Christmas tree."

Cash, an easy life, no work or turn in when you want, I'm sure folk will add to this.

gollach
01-Jul-09, 22:35
Hang on though. Long before the Telegraph started to expose the greed of our politicians, I seem to remember Michael Martin getting into bother.

Was there not a story before about his wife getting taxis for shopping trips and his expenses bill picking up the tab?

joxville
01-Jul-09, 22:42

As usual the Fat Cats get rewarded regardless of how bad they've performed.

I think the journalists already did that in the Media, Pepsi, The last witch burned in Scotland was 1722 in Dornoch.

Did you light the fire Gol? [lol]