PDA

View Full Version : A cold wind is blowing from the east....

landmarker
17-Mar-06, 21:23
...I was stood outside today for an hour supervising the loading of my lorry. It was very cold. My hands were chilled and even the end of my nose. Luckily, I had my trusted woolly hat on, so the thinning barnet was protected. They say most of your head escapes through the heat.

The factory I was visiting is about to close, as production is being moved out to the Czech republic. Lots of jobs, quality jobs will be lost.

I expect the Czech winters make ours look like a very limp affair. They must be a hardy bunch, akin to many of you I'd guess, in the far north of our islands.

It's an ill wind which brings no good though and those Czech's, earning about sixty quid a week, can rest safe in the knowledge that on the dole, over here, there will be up to three hundred Mancunians who used to earn more than that in a day!

Not for much longer. The mood there was as grey as the sombre sky overhead. I climbed back into my cab and turned the heater up full blast.
Insulated from the chill wind from the east, but for how long?

2little2late
17-Mar-06, 22:36
They say most of your head escapes through the heat.

I quite often lose heat through my head. [lol] [lol]

ice box
17-Mar-06, 22:48
I quite often lose heat through my head. [lol] [lol]
they say that 50% of your body heat loses through your head .

Gleber2
18-Mar-06, 00:30
...I was stood outside today for an hour supervising the loading of my lorry. It was very cold. My hands were chilled and even the end of my nose. Luckily, I had my trusted woolly hat on, so the thinning barnet was protected. They say most of your head escapes through the heat.

The factory I was visiting is about to close, as production is being moved out to the Czech republic. Lots of jobs, quality jobs will be lost.

I expect the Czech winters make ours look like a very limp affair. They must be a hardy bunch, akin to many of you I'd guess, in the far north of our islands.

It's an ill wind which brings no good though and those Czech's, earning about sixty quid a week, can rest safe in the knowledge that on the dole, over here, there will be up to three hundred Mancunians who used to earn more than that in a day!

Not for much longer. The mood there was as grey as the sombre sky overhead. I climbed back into my cab and turned the heater up full blast.
Insulated from the chill wind from the east, but for how long?

Your usual paranoia, Landmarker. As you know, we agree on a lot of things, and, like you, I see the wind from the east getting hotter and much more abrasive. Your warm cab won't be much protection when it gets to gale force.:~(