PDA

View Full Version : mcdonald

Anonymous
24-Feb-01, 17:07
Greetings from sunny San Antonio,texas,USA.

I have been looking through this web site for some time now,trying to visualize where my Dad was born and raised.I am impressed,even though i've never been to your area,i remember the villages which he spoke of and know in my heart that he never really left home.I am not sure if i have any relatives still over there,but will put my dad's name and that of his parents on here,hopefully i am still connected.My fathers name was Hugh Gunn Mcdonald ,and his mom and dad's name were hugh mcdonald and mary helen gunn,hopefully someone may know of them...

Anonymous
25-Feb-01, 16:42
If you can put dates to those names we can maybe help you out.

Anonymous
26-Feb-01, 08:48
thank you,my dad(hugh was born 1928 in ham farm,dunnet,caithness.his dad was born in 1884,tain,olrig.my dad's mom was born 1894 in staxigoe.this genealogy is interesting and new to me..........thanks

Anonymous
16-Apr-01, 21:23
I had a great uncle called Hugh Macdonald (note different spelling) born at Tain, Olrig at about this date. His wife was called Mary. He in turn had a family including a son called Hugh. It may not be the same family but my relatives are not aware of other McDonalds at Tain in the late 19th century (always possible). I remember Hugh Macdonald in the 1950s when I was a child and my mother remembers his son (Hughie)in the 1920s and 1930s but does not know what happenened to him after then although she knows about most of the rest of the family. Do you have any other information to see if we are talking about the same person? If we are, we can correspond direct. I am just back from Caithness where I visited the Tain area and the church and cemetery at Olrig.

Donald W MacDonald
08-Mar-05, 21:39
I have been looking at your messages about Hugh MacDonald
and I have a small family history tree some where and when I find it I will post another replyThere were two families of macdonalds living in tain Originally two brothers
who came from Lower Badcal, Scourie,Sutherland. they came to work in the slate quarries in Castletown.My GGGrand father a DonaldMacdonald who married a cathy stewart are buried in Olrig cementry castletown there name was also spellt Mc at some stage My grandfather was a david macdonald who 1st marriege was to a jane gunn from Barrock where i now stay.
donald

Greetings from sunny San Antonio,texas,USA.

I have been looking through this web site for some time now,trying to visualize where my Dad was born and raised.I am impressed,even though i've never been to your area,i remember the villages which he spoke of and know in my heart that he never really left home.I am not sure if i have any relatives still over there,but will put my dad's name and that of his parents on here,hopefully i am still connected.My fathers name was Hugh Gunn Mcdonald ,and his mom and dad's name were hugh mcdonald and mary helen gunn,hopefully someone may know of them... [lol]