PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC AT Hampden

zappster
28-Jun-09, 15:16
Tell you what I was at the Wembley gig on Friday & all you lucky lucky people goin to Hampden are gonna see probably the best gig o yer lifes!!
Absolutely magic... On a bad note though Thin Lizzy aren't supporting coz their drummers broke his collarbone...
The answer came on 1st ( they were good... & the subways?( they sucked!)
Have fun people & whatever you do dont miss the 1st 5 minutes cos its spectacular!

rangers1873
29-Jun-09, 12:36
cant wait for tomorrow, saw a few videos of the wembley gig on you tube and it looked mental

Kenneth
29-Jun-09, 13:02
over rated :D

WeeBurd
30-Jun-09, 16:14
Canna wait Zappster, even the WeeBurdies are kitted out in their tour t-shirts today, but they'll have to make do with listening to the gig through their Gran's open window :lol:!

David B
01-Jul-09, 17:00
As always, a top class show. The weather was great which also helped.

I was there with the kids so I had to go to the seated section but when the band came on we were on our feet the whole time. Incredible atmosphere.

The shouts of "Oi" during TNT were off the scale.

Highway to Hell was my personal highlight.

rangers1873
01-Jul-09, 20:49
what a amazing show, and even a firework display to finish it off ,thought the answer was brillant as well. the subways were a decent band as well. saw ac/dc on the ballbraker and stiff upper lip tour and angus and co gave the same high energy performance as these peformance's even with them adding more years onto themself.was at metallica in march but this show blew the metallica show away

BonsBalls
02-Jul-09, 01:17
I have to agree last nights performance was the tightest i have seen the band in the 4 times i have seen them since 1991and Angus's guitar playing was 2nd to none putting in up there with the all time greats

I so hope this is no farewell but if it is the memories will last forever

Invisible
02-Jul-09, 16:40
I loved the show, got great seats even with arm rests (see pic!)

Thought the answer were good, but thought subway lead singer swore too much and was trying to suck up to the crowd too much. Other than that it was quality.

zappster
02-Jul-09, 19:01
Brilliant Im glad everyone enjoyed Hampden . If i could've i would've gone to both Wembley & Hampden!

Looks like Alex Skolnick trio is next on ma gig agenda!

BonsBalls
02-Jul-09, 20:07
Bud u not goin till Buckcherry on 24th July? I m seriously thinking bout it Heaven's Basement supporting :lol:

buddyrich
05-Jul-09, 20:44
It was a textbook gig. Dog Eat Dog! Oh aye. Cant believe we walked from hampden to union street afterword though. Catastrophically foolhardy idea. My feet are shredded.

guitarzan
06-Jul-09, 08:54
'MARE!

we entered the queue for the train back to Glasgow Central... easily the longest queue i've ever seen in my life... huge.

good thing was though, the queue was constantly moving so we were back in the town for before 12 and in the noodle bar by half past :)

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jul-09, 11:29
Went to see John Mayall instead. A rare time indeed.

guitarzan
06-Jul-09, 11:54
That would have been worth a watch surely Pepsi?

A highlight of our trip down was on the Monday night... we went to Stereo on Renfield Street and were treated to a night of AC/DC covers by Orcadian based folk band The Chair.

Fiddles, banjo, pipes - the lot. For one night only they were "Riff Raff" - the Highlands and Islands answer to Hayseed Dixie.

Really gutted I didn't get more footage, too busy drinking Red Stripe and headbanging - but have a wee look at this video here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuiPhl5EWs

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jul-09, 12:20
Lau aside, The Chair are probably the best folk live band in Scotland. I've seen AC/DC a couple of times before, and as influential as they are, Mayall helped further the careers of many equally-influential popular musicians today. And arguably more influential than Angus Young will ever be. I wonder if Angus Young will still be playing when, and if, he reaches the age of 75?

BigKev
07-Jul-09, 12:37
Lau aside, The Chair are probably the best folk live band in Scotland. I've seen AC/DC a couple of times before, and as influential as they are, Mayall helped further the careers of many equally-influential popular musicians today. And arguably more influential than Angus Young will ever be. I wonder if Angus Young will still be playing when, and if, he reaches the age of 75?

And what is it that you do for a living?

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Jul-09, 13:45
Something you could only dream about.

hotrod4
07-Jul-09, 17:49
And what is it that you do for a living?
Obvoiusly not enough as he's always on here belittling poor old caithness!!!!;)

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Jul-09, 07:06
I've done more to promote the county and some of its people more than most on here. Anyway, momma said shoot you down :)

buggyracer
08-Jul-09, 07:58
I've done more to promote the county and some of its people more than most on here. Anyway, momma said shoot you down :)

im almost sure you will be next in line for lord lieutennat of caithness Pepsi :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Jul-09, 13:06
Grandmaster, if you please, buggyracer :)

WeeRob
08-Jul-09, 13:31
Something you could only dream about.

Oh really.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Jul-09, 13:57
..........Really.

BigKev
09-Jul-09, 12:23
Really?

Be honest now. . . .

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 12:52
I certainly wouldn't swap with you, put it that way.

Jeid
09-Jul-09, 17:02
Jesus, you're full of yourself. The word springs to mind. Get a grip of your life.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 17:13
Life is just peachy, Jeid. By the way, how is Scotland's best kept secret?

Jeid
09-Jul-09, 17:13

I missed that... but see above for my reaction.

Jeid
09-Jul-09, 17:23
You'd have to ask the Ironworks, I dunno how Scotland's best kept secret is doing. You really don't have much going for you tbh, your only retort, one which you've been clinging onto for two years, is getting rather stale. Try something new... oh, I forgot, you're the king of the world because do a job most of us would "only dream of" doing, so you don't have to.

Seriously, your posts on here just suck ass. This is a thread about AC\DC and you chime in with "I went and saw John Mayer instead"

With the exception of one person, who cares?

I've done so much for this community... aye right, you're the first person to knock it down too.

The Pepsi Challenge... GIRUY!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 18:09
You'd have to ask the Ironworks, I dunno how Scotland's best kept secret is doing. You really don't have much going for you tbh, your only retort, one which you've been clinging onto for two years, is getting rather stale. Try something new... oh, I forgot, you're the king of the world because do a job most of us would "only dream of" doing, so you don't have to.

Seriously, your posts on here just suck ass. This is a thread about AC\DC and you chime in with "I went and saw John Mayer instead"

With the exception of one person, who cares?

I've done so much for this community... aye right, you're the first person to knock it down too.

The Pepsi Challenge... GIRUY!

Learning to shave yet, are we?

Gleber2
09-Jul-09, 18:13
John Mayer

!

John Mayall, surely?[evil]:D

Jeid
09-Jul-09, 18:15
Shows how unimportant he was to me.

Actually, I'm not shaving... can't say it bothers me, adds to my youthful looks and saves me money on blades. Still bleaching your ginger hair and trying to be John Spencer Blues Explosion?

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Jul-09, 18:49
John Mayall, surely?[evil]:D

Let's not chastise the typist, Gleber2. We're talking about a laddie with an NC in Secretarial Studies here.

zappster
09-Jul-09, 18:51
HAHA its funny how threads take funny old twists n turns eh?....
Dizna get away fae the fact that AC/DC TOTALLY ROCKED!!

M R
10-Jul-09, 00:12
Bla Bla Bla.

AC/DC = Legends of Rock, it's really that simple.

Metalattakk
10-Jul-09, 03:46
Tell you what, anyone who would pass up the chance to see AC/DC in favour of seeing John Mayall peddle the same old blues covers he's done for decades doesn't have much of a clue about appreciating musical performance, unless they are no more than a pretentious, self-serving, narcissistic imbecile who craves 'coolness' more than they would care to admit.

And if that's the case, their opinion means Jack-S to me.

hotrod4
10-Jul-09, 07:51
Wouldve loved to have seen the show.
I am more of a Bon Scott man BUT thats a completely different thread!!![lol]
Still wouldve loved to have seen it.

hotrod4
10-Jul-09, 07:53
Thats a blatant plug of an AC/DC song if i ever seen one!!!;)
"He was Number 999 on the Journo list and you fell out of love with that dirty little........."[lol]

Kenneth
10-Jul-09, 10:17
I love forum catfights!!!!

Jim Noir is better than AC/DC and John Mayall put together

Metalattakk
10-Jul-09, 10:19
Nah, Noir isn't a patch on Architecture in Helsinki.

Kenneth
10-Jul-09, 10:20
Hahahaha! I liked that.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Jul-09, 10:45
Tell you what, anyone who would pass up the chance to see AC/DC in favour of seeing John Mayall peddle the same old blues covers he's done for decades doesn't have much of a clue about appreciating musical performance, unless they are no more than a pretentious, self-serving, narcissistic imbecile who craves 'coolness' more than they would care to admit.

I thought I recognised that pony-tail down the front.

Amy-Winehouse
10-Jul-09, 13:04
Who is John Mayall???? Sorry for not being up to speed with my music but who is he? AC/DC were on the go when I was a wee boy filling stadiums all over the world & 30+ years later,theyre STILL filling stadiums with magic rock n roll.

Who is John Mayall??? If he has influenced so many, how come Ive never heard of him???

Great thread though folks, Are the gigs on youtube yet? Whole lotta Rosie is an excellent tune

Gleber2
10-Jul-09, 13:25

Codswallop!!!!!!

Gleber2
10-Jul-09, 13:36
Who is John Mayall???? Sorry for not being up to speed with my music but who is he? AC/DC were on the go when I was a wee boy filling stadiums all over the world & 30+ years later,theyre STILL filling stadiums with magic rock n roll.

Who is John Mayall??? If he has influenced so many, how come Ive never heard of him???

Great thread though folks, Are the gigs on youtube yet? Whole lotta Rosie is an excellent tune
He is English, in his seventies and introduced Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, and many others to the world of rock music. By the mid seventies he went out of fashion with the mainstream but continued to play all over the world. He is almost revered by afficionados of the blues world as an innovator. He did more than any other musician to creat the renewed interest in the blues that came in the mid sixties to late seventies. Although he played many blues standards in his own way, he wrote many original blues numbers.
Like many musos of the sixties I can honestly say that AC/DC does not float my boat as I have found little originality in their brand of rock music.
You may not have heard of John Mayall, Amy, as he was always an underground artist and never made the charts.

loganbiffy
10-Jul-09, 14:27
IMHO AC/DC sound the exact same as they always have. There is nothing new and fresh about the music they produce, it sounds like they have released the same song for 30 years. Same old riffs, time signatures, chords, you name it. Boring, bland and uninspiring.

Kenneth
10-Jul-09, 14:33
IMHO AC/DC sound the exact same as they always have. There is nothing new and fresh about the music they produce, it sounds like they have released the same song for 30 years. Same old riffs, time signatures, chords, you name it. Boring, bland and uninspiring.

Very much agreed

rangers1873
10-Jul-09, 14:34
He is English, in his seventies and introduced Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, and many others to the world of rock music. By the mid seventies he went out of fashion with the mainstream but continued to play all over the world. He is almost revered by afficionados of the blues world as an innovator. He did more than any other musician to creat the renewed interest in the blues that came in the mid sixties to late seventies. Although he played many blues standards in his own way, he wrote many original blues numbers.
Like many musos of the sixties I can honestly say that AC/DC does not float my boat as I have found little originality in their brand of rock music.
You may not have heard of John Mayall, Amy, as he was always an underground artist and never made the charts.

what crap you are talking ,and for you to say they lack originality in there music.they cant be that bad as they have sold over 200million albums also they played to one million people at a concert in russia, and this year they over took the beatles in record sales.and you tell me if there is a better live band on the go than ac/dc

rangers1873
10-Jul-09, 14:39

you are talking crap as well, if you were to check most of the good rock bands on the the go most of them state ac/dc as there influences. and by the way have you ever seen ac/dc live, by the sound of things i think you would be more of a take that /boyzone kind of person.

Gleber2
10-Jul-09, 15:12
what crap you are talking ,and for you to say they lack originality in there music.they cant be that bad as they have sold over 200million albums also they played to one million people at a concert in russia, and this year they over took the beatles in record sales.and you tell me if there is a better live band on the go than ac/dc
Aye, it's all a matter of taste. And what creates taste? Intelligence, education and maturity perhaps. I didn't like the Beatles either!!!!

DOC ROCK
10-Jul-09, 16:29
Bla Bla Bla.

AC/DC = Legends of Rock, it's really that simple.

Absolutely man!!!:D

buddyrich
11-Jul-09, 02:02
Life is just peachy, Jeid. By the way, how is Scotland's best kept secret?

I must say, that made me laugh a bit. I like it when you guys joust a bit.

buddyrich
11-Jul-09, 02:09

What about passing up the chance to see acdc because you "saw them when they were good". 2000 at milton keynes? I dont think the acdc canon (as it were) has changed much since then Mr Slinger!

Im not starting a fight with my old pal, just couldnt resist chiming in. I was in the boozer with your bro tonight, apparently just missed you. We must catch up and continue planning THE reunion.

Amy-Winehouse
11-Jul-09, 08:46

You didnt answer the question, WHAT have you done to promote Caithness? Walk around Glasgow with a sandwich board, pilot a plane with one of those messages tied on the back or just down the place in 1 of those articles you wrote like you normally do? :confused Just a wee bit curious

scotsboy
11-Jul-09, 10:06
I managed to get tickets for AC/DC at Hampden at the last minute and went with my nephew. The last time I saw AC/DC was in April 1978 at the Capital Theatre in Aberdeen, when they were absolutely fantastic. Since around 1980 I have not listened to much of their stuff and was unsure what to expect, but had been told it was a great show – I was not disappointed, it was an excellent performance. I must admit to being a bit shocked at how the years have aged the band……..it had been 31 years, and it brought home to me how the subtle changes lost on us all during our daily look in the bathroom mirror are starkly brought home with a look in an old photo album. Bon Scott was a better showman than Brian Johnston, And it was telling that the crowd seemed much more motivated with the pre-` 1980 material.

The day as a whole was memorable for middle aged “rockers” wearing black ill-fitting t-shirts, but everyone had a great time, and I would go back again.

As for Pepsi’s stance, it does seem strange as he once described AC/DC as the “greatest Scottish (sic) band of all time”, but then maybe he found out that Angus and Malcolm Young were Rangers supporters.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jul-09, 10:32
Welcome back, scotsboy :)

hotrod4
11-Jul-09, 11:34

As for Pepsi’s stance, it does seem strange as he once described AC/DC as the “greatest Scottish (sic) band of all time”, but then maybe he found out that Angus and Malcolm Young were Rangers supporters.
I used to LOVE AC/DC now I absolutely IDOLISE them!!!![lol]
Mon the youngs!!!:lol:

Metalattakk
11-Jul-09, 11:52
What about passing up the chance to see acdc because you "saw them when they were good". 2000 at milton keynes? I dont think the acdc canon (as it were) has changed much since then Mr Slinger!

'91 at Donington, mate. ;)

Like hotrod4, I would have liked the chance to see the Bon Scott-era AC/DC though.

Im not starting a fight with my old pal, just couldnt resist chiming in. I was in the boozer with your bro tonight, apparently just missed you. We must catch up and continue planning THE reunion.

Aye, The Marlboro Man and Cleft were both there too, I seem to remember.

Let me know when the plans for World Domination are nearing fruition, I'll just do my usual - just come in, play the rythm and sack the bass player. It's what I do best. ;)

loganbiffy
11-Jul-09, 13:14
you are talking crap as well, if you were to check most of the good rock bands on the the go most of them state ac/dc as there influences. and by the way have you ever seen ac/dc live, by the sound of things i think you would be more of a take that /boyzone kind of person.

Who are these "good rock bands" you speak of?

Good rock bands in your opinion do not mean good rock bands in anyone else's opinion.

Well it goes to show you don't know me at all as I do not listen to Take That or Boyzone.
And anyway, as I said in my post, it's MY OPINION that AC/DC and bland, boring and totally predictable.

buddyrich
11-Jul-09, 15:01
Let me know when the plans for World Domination are nearing fruition, I'll just do my usual - just come in, play the rythm and sack the bass player. It's what I do best. ;)[/QUOTE]

No omlettes though!

I dont think the point that acdc have sounded samey since ummmmmm,1982 is really that controversial. Just like Maiden, their composing days have waned but to say that they're bland is not something i can agree with. There was nothing bland about the hampden gig, rather it was high voltage rock n roll.

Maybe they've been at it too long, but they put on a real show that gives no quarter to their age. I (yes, me) think a lot of modern rock bands would do well to realise that downtuning, painted finger nails and screaming arent an automatic ticket to musical immortality.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Jul-09, 01:29

Is that rivalry, bigotry ,one up manship or just plain jealousy????[lol][lol]

HAPPY 12TH JULY PEPSI