PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Free Diet.

cuddlepop
17-Mar-06, 16:45
Has anyone tried it?.
I'm terribly bothered with my sinuses,doc wont give me anymore antibiotics and have had surgery previously to clean them.So this looks like the last resort.We have also redecorated the bedroom,new bed ,wooden flooring,new duvet and pillows but still i get terrible attacks.
Tried goats semi skimmed milk and found it not too unpleasant ,just expensive.Soya milk was on special offer so i thought i'd give it a go.
Ant tips or advice would be appreciated as it makes you miserable as nothing will get rid of the pain!:confused:

knightofeth
17-Mar-06, 16:53
Has anyone tried it?.
I'm terribly bothered with my sinuses,doc wont give me anymore antibiotics and have had surgery previously to clean them.So this looks like the last resort.We have also redecorated the bedroom,new bed ,wooden flooring,new duvet and pillows but still i get terrible attacks.
Tried goats semi skimmed milk and found it not too unpleasant ,just expensive.Soya milk was on special offer so i thought i'd give it a go.
Ant tips or advice would be appreciated as it makes you miserable as nothing will get rid of the pain!:confused:

I also have trouble with my sinuses and have read about a dairy free diet helping. Not tried it yet, i like cheese and yoghurt too much! Anyway have you tried nasal sprays or actifed tablets. These help my sinuses. Oh the problem i have is they are all always blocked up and give me headaches.. dunno if yours is similar?

cuddlepop
17-Mar-06, 17:04
Ihave tried everything thats why this diet is going to be last resort.
Nasal sprays only work if you dont have an infection and i seem to alwas have one.
A hot water bottle behind the neck seems to give me some releave
[smirk] .Want them clear for the summer,dont want to be stuck in and miserable.
You have my sympathy i no exactly how you feel.
Many a time i wish i could detach my head ,stick it in the washing machine and get it back cleaned out.
Indian head massage is suppose tobe good as well.No one on Skye seems to do it though :o You tried that Knightofeth

footie chick
17-Mar-06, 17:08
My grandad swears by one o them plug in facial saunas says he can feel them clearing. worth a try

knightofeth
17-Mar-06, 17:09
No, I've not tried that. I dont have it that bad.. its more of a pest than anything. You sound like you have it really bad though. Have you tried a different doctor? The sinus thing seems to run in my family and my dad was refused antibiotics from one doctor (I understand why they have to do this) but he went to see another doctor as the symptons never went away and was told the first doctor was wrong. He got antibiotics and it cleared up.. for a bit anyway! Worth a shot maybe?

knightofeth
17-Mar-06, 17:10
My grandad swears by one o them plug in facial saunas says he can feel them clearing. worth a try

They are good. Really good for my skin too :D

knightofeth
17-Mar-06, 17:11
anyway I think giving the dairy free thing a shot is definitely worth it. You can find out if that is the cause or not :)

cuddlepop
17-Mar-06, 17:18
Somehow i never seemt to have the time to get steamin.HA HA ,no seriously you are suppose to do this morning and night.The ENT consultant has told me to wash out my nose with a salt wash,yuk [smirk]
Sinuses do run in the family apparently if you have a long face your more likely to be bothered by them..This is true in my family,my son and daughter as well as my mum are bothered by them :confused:

Gleber2
17-Mar-06, 17:31
Milk, apart from being poisonous to humans, creates muccous, which greatly exacerbates sinus and other problems with breathing. Give up the cow, full stop, for at least two months and you should feel an amazing difference. If you need recipes etc. PM me.

cuddlepop
17-Mar-06, 18:03
Thanks Gleber,
When you go dairy free is that including chocs and biscuits?
Do you Know of any products that have dairy in them that :confused: you wouldn't think they would

Liz
17-Mar-06, 19:22
So sorry to hear that you have problems with sinusitis. I do as well and it is awful!!!

I find that the best thing is to inhale menthol and eucalyptus or Olbas Oil for ten minutes twice a day. You can get a hand held device which I think you can get from Boots.

Re giving up dairy, I don't take dairy products and it hasn't made any difference I'm afraid but Gleber2 is correct in saying that dairy products aren't good for humans so it would be a good idea to cut them out.
It's a case of reading labels but if you look for items which are suitable for vegans this will help.

I also take a herbal product called Sinotar and use Nasaleze and this does help a bit as well.

It's a case of trying a few things to see what helps.

Good luck!

cuddlepop
17-Mar-06, 21:33
Thanks Liz,sometimes you feel as though its never going to go away. Dont no about you but i alwas feel better outside in the fresh air.Need to think about retraining in an outside occupation as this is awful just now.[smirk]

goldenguernsey
17-Mar-06, 22:09
It's true that bovine dairy products can cause/make sinus troubles worse, however, goat dairy produce should help this situation and if it tasted "not too bad" might I dare to suggest that instead of purchasing from a supermarket or similar where the product must be pasturised, try a local goatkeeper and get the real fresh stuff. It should taste every bit as good as cows milk if not better, easier digested too. We have fresh unpasturised goats milk every day, whatever is left over each 24 hrs goes for our pigs and we have the fresh milk again. Wouldn't be without it now.

fred
17-Mar-06, 22:20
Sinuses do run in the family apparently if you have a long face your more likely to be bothered by them.

Noses run in my family too and feet smell.

elaine
18-Mar-06, 10:31
I've also been thinking about going dairy free (have got psoriasis and have suspected for a while that dairy is not helping it!) I have gone dairy free before and it definately improves your skin i.e. spots clear up etc so that would be an extra bonus eh?
The hard bit is thinking of alternatives

Fruit Tea
Houmous on crackers instead of cheese (when you're next in Tescos try their caramelised onion houmous - it's the biz)
Tomato based sauces instead of creamy ones
Have chinese food instead of pizza!
Fruit salad for breakfast instead of cereal
Crisps instead of chocolate
Jam/honey on toast instead of butter
Spaghetti hoops on a baked tattie instead of cheese
Vegetable soups instead of cream of....

I guess it's worth a try for a couple of weeks to see what happens!

Hmm I'm hungry now!
any more alternatives?

Liz
18-Mar-06, 14:43
Cuddlepop I don't really find it makes any difference when I am in the fresh air. Maybe you should try an air purifier and/or humidifiers? You can get ones from Betterware which you hang on the radiator. Just a bit of a pain having to keep filling them up with water!

You also said that a hot water bottle on your neck helped. This is quite strange. Do you have neck problems? If so, maybe try an Osteopath?

Elaine thankfully there are many dairy free alternatives now and it's just a case of looking at labels.
The margarine I use is called 'Pure' and it is really good. You can get it in Soya (which I use) or vegetable.

A really good place for dairy alternatives is www.goodnessdirect.co.uk They have a dairy free choc which I think is called Bel Arte and it's delicious. You can even get dairy free ice cream delivered for £3 and they also have good cheese alternatives.

So no need to starve!!!!:)

cuddlepop
18-Mar-06, 17:39
Liz apparently the nasal passage ways go all the way up and over the back of your head and then go down either side of your neck a bit like drain pipes,The pain i get in my neck and the tops of my shoulders is secondary sinuses .... cant remember proper term.The heat seems to open the :pipes: so to speak.
Its a lovely day on Skye so we've been out in the garden making it German Shepherd dog proof.We didnt get to Caithness to live but there's a dog coming to Skye !!![lol]

Saveman
18-Mar-06, 18:38
Noses run in my family too and feet smell.

You're giving away your age Fred. :D

Liz
18-Mar-06, 19:02
Liz apparently the nasal passage ways go all the way up and over the back of your head and then go down either side of your neck a bit like drain pipes,The pain i get in my neck and the tops of my shoulders is secondary sinuses .... cant remember proper term.The heat seems to open the :pipes: so to speak.
Its a lovely day on Skye so we've been out in the garden making it German Shepherd dog proof.We didnt get to Caithness to live but there's a dog coming to Skye !!![lol]
That's really interesting! You live and learn!:lol:

I get really bad neck and shoulder pain and, as I have arthritis I assumed it would be that but it may be due to the sinusitis as well. I get pain in my face because I have an ongoing problem with my parotid glands so maybe it is all linked.

I think it's only someone who has sinusitis who can understand how awful it makes you feel.:( It isn't just a stuffed up nose! Makes you feel really miserable as if you have the flu.

I don't know if it's coincidence but mine hasn't been so bad since I've been using an eye massager I bought on QVC.

When do you get the dog? How exciting!!!!!

Anyway good luck in sorting out your sinusitis. Hope going dairy free helps!

cuddlepop
18-Mar-06, 20:24
Picking the dog up on the 27th of this month.We're taking our own dog up so they meet on neutral ground.Pray they'll get on as he looks gorgeous.:Razz
The eye massager sounds good.I no if i gently rub my face in upward strokes it releaves some of the pressure.
Today i've got an amazing graving for tea with cows milk ,wonder if its like an addiction your body craves even although you shouldn't have it ?:o
We all drink alot of milk in our family and we're all bothered with our noses,there could be a link.
Need to investigate this one :eyes