PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn hints and tips

liz19
28-Jun-09, 11:01
I got sunburn for the first time in my lifetime yesterday!!! - it's pretty sore any hints and tips on how to get rid of the burn.

pat
28-Jun-09, 11:23
after sun cream

Yogurt - cover skin and allow to soak in - it cools and give moisture back to skin

cucumber

moisturising cream - very liberally applied - apply frequently too.

do not put oil or grease - you just fry your already hot skin.

Sandra_B
28-Jun-09, 11:25
We have started to keep big bottles of aloe vera gel and a spray bottle of solarcaine as I never remember the sunscreen.

This website has home remedies...http://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/

Hope you feel better soon.

liz19
28-Jun-09, 11:25
after sun cream

Yogurt - cover skin and allow to soak in - it cools and give moisture back to skin

cucumber

moisturising cream - very liberally applied - apply frequently too.

do not put oil or grease - you just fry your already hot skin.

Have tried the aftersun and moisturising cream will now try the yogurt and cucumber hopefully get a good nights sleep tonight Thanks Pat

_Ju_
28-Jun-09, 11:26
Aftersun lotion is the best (though some people like camomile lotion....I don't). Do you have blisters? If you do, DO NOT pop them. They tend to infect if you do, and the blister protects the regenerating skin underneath, Drink alot of water ( you probably dehidrated as well). if quite painful, i find diluting water and sanitary alchohol (1:1) and than applying to the burnt area sooting (except is the skin is broken!). If you do have blisters, you have second degree burning. If it is over an extensive area then yolu might have to go to the doc.
And last of all: don't do it again. It's so bad for your skin..... and aging. (I'm not trying to be patronising, and sorry if I am comimg across like it, but sunburn is so dangerous):)

liz19
28-Jun-09, 11:31
We have started to keep big bottles of aloe vera gel and a spray bottle of solarcaine as I never remember the sunscreen.

This website has home remedies...http://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/

Hope you feel better soon.

where do you get solarcaine? the gel i imagine will be in any chemist?

liz19
28-Jun-09, 11:35
Aftersun lotion is the best (though some people like camomile lotion....I don't). Do you have blisters? If you do, DO NOT pop them. They tend to infect if you do, and the blister protects the regenerating skin underneath, Drink alot of water ( you probably dehidrated as well). if quite painful, i find diluting water and sanitary alchohol (1:1) and than applying to the burnt area sooting (except is the skin is broken!). If you do have blisters, you have second degree burning. If it is over an extensive area then yolu might have to go to the doc.
And last of all: don't do it again. It's so bad for your skin..... and aging. (I'm not trying to be patronising, and sorry if I am comimg across like it, but sunburn is so dangerous):)

no blisters thankfully - and def won't be doing it again was actually proud of the fact that I've got to my age and never been burned. To be honest I was only in the sun for about an hour in the passed i've been at the beach for hours and nothing sit in the back garden and read and burnt :roll: don't think u r patronizing at all what u said is very true :Razz

Fluff
28-Jun-09, 12:12
frequent, cool showers (or a cool flannel)
I have always found aloe vera gel soothing, store it in the fridge. It wears off quite quickly though.
Get a decent aftersun too, that helps.

BINBOB
28-Jun-09, 13:49
Have tried the aftersun and moisturising cream will now try the yogurt and cucumber hopefully get a good nights sleep tonight Thanks Pat

also take a painkiller....paracetamol,aspirin,nurofen...whiche ver u can tolerate.get better soon.and buy/apply factor 30 every time.;)

teenybash
28-Jun-09, 13:56
Soak a cloth in vinegar and lay over the damaged area...it will cool the burning right away...............You can even splash the area with vinegar...cider vinegar is the best but ordinary will do....it works like a miracle and you will be painfree in minutes. Avoid applying anything that is oily or greasy as this will take on the heat of the burnt skin and add to the discomfort..:)

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 14:57
I got sunburn for the first time in my lifetime yesterday!!! - it's pretty sore any hints and tips on how to get rid of the burn.

I got burnt a couple of times when i was a child and prevented it as a teen but last year i got burnt on my calves and my arms. My arms didn't hurt compared to my calves. The sunburn on my calves burnt and was so painful at night i hardly slept. Had to sleep with my legs over the side of the bed:lol:
I've not got any ideas on how to make it go away but what everyone else has been saying.

liz19
28-Jun-09, 15:10
also take a painkiller....paracetamol,aspirin,nurofen...whiche ver u can tolerate.get better soon.and buy/apply factor 30 every time.;)

I am going to be tryin everything people are advising :lol: bl**y painful - was on antibiotics and was advised they would make me sensitive to the sun but figured I stopped them a few days ago so I would be ok clearly not :lol: won't be happening again it'll be the highest factor I can get now I know my skin is sensitised

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 15:44
Well done for getting this far without being sunburnt liz19 Not many people can say that. You can most defintly say you're chance of getting skin cancer is very slim;)

liz19
28-Jun-09, 16:10
Well done for getting this far without being sunburnt liz19 Not many people can say that. You can most defintly say you're chance of getting skin cancer is very slim;)

Hey I'm not that old :lol: but yeah I have to agree lol

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 16:43
Hey I'm not that old :lol: but yeah I have to agree lol

Considering that as kids we mostly suffer from it, its good to get adulthood without getting sunburnt;)

I only ever got it as red never blistery. my youngest brother once got it so bad on his arm after playing outside all day, that it blistered.

liz19
29-Jun-09, 09:16
Considering that as kids we mostly suffer from it, its good to get adulthood without getting sunburnt;)

I only ever got it as red never blistery. my youngest brother once got it so bad on his arm after playing outside all day, that it blistered.

actually remember my nephew getting burnt on his cheeks and they blistered my sis took him to the docs and was told she needed to keep him out of the sun as he was sensitive to it poor child had to stay inside if it was too warm :( not nice whenever u get it I guess but worse for kids

Tilly Teckel
29-Jun-09, 11:22
My great-gran used to swear by cutting a tomato in half then rubbing it on the sunburn. Not sure if it worked, but I do remember being on holiday with her once and noticing that she had dried-on tomato pips all over the backs of her legs when we went out in the evening! I don't recommend this, by the way!!

David Banks
29-Jun-09, 11:33
The old remedy was calamine lotion (applied frequently if needed) - it worked for me.

sassylass
30-Jun-09, 18:16
Soak a cloth in vinegar and lay over the damaged area...it will cool the burning right away...............You can even splash the area with vinegar...cider vinegar is the best but ordinary will do....it works like a miracle and you will be painfree in minutes. Avoid applying anything that is oily or greasy as this will take on the heat of the burnt skin and add to the discomfort..:)

Vinegar works. It does sting for a few minutes and the stink lasts about 30 minutes but it stops the burn right away. I use white vinegar, the smell isn't so bad.

tootz
30-Jun-09, 18:49
Put A Hair Conditioner On It :) My Oh Got Sunburn Bad & It Worked For Him :)

lexie
02-Jul-09, 08:11
best tip ..... buy sun tan lotion in a high factor....

poppett
02-Jul-09, 15:38
I use factor 30 sunscreen as a moisturiser from May to September every morning, regardless of the weather, that way I don`t forget it, but this last few days still managed to blister a bit. Used aftersun as soon as I felt the burn, so hope it won`t peel.

Fran
03-Jul-09, 00:01
I am just back from Tesco to get after sun lotion, hardly any left, so i had to get the large one £5 as that was all there was. Can't beleive i got so burnt, i am in agony and cant reach my back to put the cream on. that will teach me.

George Brims
03-Jul-09, 00:49
Aloe Vera is the best, plus a painkiller like paracetamol.

Please also be aware that anything advertizing a SPF of over 25 or so is a lie. A sheet of newspaper doesn't have the opacity claimed for some of the products on the market.

JAWS
03-Jul-09, 02:15
The Greeks swear by Yoghurt. I’ve not tried it myself but people who have swear it works.
When it comes to the vinegar suggestion try adding some olive oil, it helps to keep the skin subtle to stop it from drying and cracking.

One word of warning about something I learned the hard way after a bout of getting rather an excess of sun. If you decide that a cool bath might be a good idea watch the water temperature. I ran a cool bath, just a little water because I didn’t fancy getting into a freezing cold bath. I tested the water and it was definitely quite cool. In I got, screamed and out I leapt. It felt like I had got in a bath of scolding hot water. Make sure it is not warm but that the chill is just taken off and get in very, very, very slowly.

domino
04-Jul-09, 20:33
Never underestimate the strength of the sun. You may think you are Ok but after a few hours the truth will out. Take simple common sense precautions like always use sun cream and after sun cream