PDA

View Full Version : Thurso shops late night opening

NapalmDeath74
28-Jun-09, 01:30
The other day while having a pint in Top Joe's I happen to notice the Press & journal and there was a column about late night opening in Thurso one night a week, Thurso retailers are losing business I wounder why, for a start if they brought prices down that would help and secondly if they stayed open everyday until 6:00pm instead of closing at 5:00pm that might boost trade, when I finish work at 4:30 and eventually get into Thurso every where is shut, so I either go to Inverness or buy online.

Fran
28-Jun-09, 01:44
Thurso is to have late night shopping in the precinct every thursday.

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 02:21
That is a good idea. it is the same in inverness. thnursday everything is open til 7pm

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 09:07
For the store i work in they would prefer the business to stay open until 8pm.

Sorry but i have commitments, so does everybody else i work with.

You have to have 2 staff for where i work and does staying open an extra 3 hours warrant paying 2 staff? :confused

I know i definetely cant do it.

webmannie
28-Jun-09, 11:19

You have to have 2 staff for where i work and does staying open an extra 3 hours warrant paying 2 staff? :confused

Then if I was the shop owner i'd be looking for staff that can.

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 11:41
Then if I was the shop owner i'd be looking for staff that can.

Well the manager can not do it either. And her bosses are saying no. Also i dont think my own mum is going to fire me! :roll:

Why should shops stay open that long? Whats wrong with the 5-6 days most places are open already?

Fluff
28-Jun-09, 12:09
just be glad you don't have to stay open until 10pm during the winter/x-mas period!

Gogglebox
28-Jun-09, 13:16
Well the manager can not do it either. And her bosses are saying no. Also i dont think my own mum is going to fire me! :roll:

Why should shops stay open that long? Whats wrong with the 5-6 days most places are open already?

Because quite clearly the current arrangement does not suit the potential customers of the shops! -Thats perhaps why so many Thurso people are through in Wick shopping as the big stores are open late and Sundays and show a desire to accomodate customer shopping patterns rather than staff domestic arrangements

And maybe if things keep getting tighter your mum will have no choice but to make you redundant or indeed shut her shop!! I wouldnt go making any long term plans on the strength of that thought in current financial constraints.
Woolies probably had plans this year and look what happened to them!

Stefan
28-Jun-09, 13:38
There was a similar attitude in Germany and many small shops had to shut because people would buy online instead.
If hospitals had the same attitude you would have a problem at 5:30 if you were seriously ill.
It's part of a changing society and shops have to either adapt or go under.

Like other people have said, if the shops are shut when I finish work then I either travel or shop online.

30 years ago that wasn't possible but these days I can order my washing powder online, so shops need to rethink their business strategy and adapt to their customers needs. Or else they will not need any staff at all.

In family run businesses there is certainly compromises to be had when it comes to working times. Your mum could look after your kids whilst you work one Thursday night once a month and you could help her out at home whilst she works etc.
In large businesses most of the time you don't get the job if you're not flexible.

Gogglebox
28-Jun-09, 13:48
Certainly seem a strange business strategy for some/most shops to close about 15 minutes after over a thousand people arrive/pass through town at 4:45pm from Dounreay!

Its very hard to have sympathy when they seem to be stuck in old shopping patterns

Plus they should improve customer service as it leaves a lot to be desired in some places.

Shops should show the customers that they deserve our pounds through proper retailing and enticing the customer to spend with them!

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 13:50

The store could stay open til 7 pm on a thursday like everything seems to be going to on a thursday. it would keep your bosses happy as they get one late opening for extra business.

And it would be up to the staff to work out who would do the extra 2 hrs or take it in turns. keeps everyone happy which is the main thing:)

Loafer
28-Jun-09, 15:01
Certainly seem a strange business strategy for some/most shops to close about 15 minutes after over a thousand people arrive/pass through town at 4:45pm from Dounreay!

Its very hard to have sympathy when they seem to be stuck in old shopping patterns

Plus they should improve customer service as it leaves a lot to be desired in some places.

Shops should show the customers that they deserve our pounds through proper retailing and enticing the customer to spend with them!

The one that really riles me is when I get in from Dounreay and head into a shop...you get the dirty looks and staff checking their watches..don't dare think of browsing!

I now do what others have stated, head to Wick or shop online...a sad state of affairs. I do like to shop locally even if it costs a bit more, but some shops don't seem to want my trade. One of lifes mysteries is why do DIY shops (plumbers, wood suppliers) close at 12 midday on a Saturday? Isn't this when the majority of people who work during the week have the time to buy?

To be honest, I don't think a late opening will be of any good.

The Loafer

Fluff
28-Jun-09, 15:03
One thing I find annoying when I visit is it is near impossible to get lunch after 2pm in Thurso! I always forget and then struggle to find anything.

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 15:49
The one that really riles me is when I get in from Dounreay and head into a shop...you get the dirty looks and staff checking their watches..don't dare think of browsing!

I now do what others have stated, head to Wick or shop online...a sad state of affairs. I do like to shop locally even if it costs a bit more, but some shops don't seem to want my trade. One of lifes mysteries is why do DIY shops (plumbers, wood suppliers) close at 12 midday on a Saturday? Isn't this when the majority of people who work during the week have the time to buy?

To be honest, I don't think a late opening will be of any good.

The Loafer

Thats what i find with the banks as well. i work full time during the week usually start before banks open and finish after they close. So got to wait untill my half day if i get time on that day or satuday which will only be the morning.

EDDIE
28-Jun-09, 15:58

A lot of people work all week and dont have time during the day to go shopping so the only time they will have is a saturday if the shops are open later on a thurs gives people more of a chance to do there shopping so they can do something else at the weekend i think its a good idea and shops will make more money.
If the company u work for want to change your terms and conditions they can all they have to do is give u 3 months notice and there is nothing u can do about apart from leaving.
Shelley if i was ure mum i would ask u i would tell u lol

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 16:27
And maybe if things keep getting tighter your mum will have no choice but to make you redundant or indeed shut her shop!! I wouldnt go making any long term plans on the strength of that thought in current financial constraints.
Woolies probably had plans this year and look what happened to them!

If you read my mum will not be able to do the late opening herself either. And the store will not close as it is a string of shops that is doing very well. If you knew the store you would understand but im not telling everyone where i work.

A lot of people work all week and dont have time during the day to go shopping so the only time they will have is a saturday if the shops are open later on a thurs gives people more of a chance to do there shopping so they can do something else at the weekend i think its a good idea and shops will make more money.
If the company u work for want to change your terms and conditions they can all they have to do is give u 3 months notice and there is nothing u can do about apart from leaving.
Shelley if i was ure mum i would ask u i would tell u lol

Im flexi time, so if i cant work then i cant work. Simple as, and the company still took me on because they knew how good i was at the job because i worked there for 2 years before.

The store could stay open til 7 pm on a thursday like everything seems to be going to on a thursday. it would keep your bosses happy as they get one late opening for extra business.

And it would be up to the staff to work out who would do the extra 2 hrs or take it in turns. keeps everyone happy which is the main thing:)

Vistravi, you know that my OH either starts work at 8pm or finishes work at 8pm. Also having children to look after. Sometimes evenings is the only time i have with them and my partner.

Im just standing my ground here folks. :Razz

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 16:55
Vistravi, you know that my OH either starts work at 8pm or finishes work at 8pm. Also having children to look after. Sometimes evenings is the only time i have with them and my partner.

Yep Shelley i know and i know how much the time with them all means to you as you know how much the time i get with my partner means to me.

If the company push for it you won't be doing it as no one can argue with your family needs. but by the sound of things your work will be one of the shops who won't be doing the late thurs thing.

Miro
28-Jun-09, 17:03
I think everyone must take a balanced view here.

Many shop keepers in Thurso are quite traditional when it comes to how they operate their businesses, a good example being half day on Thursdays and closing for lunch. In the same vein, many Thurso people are traditional about their shopping habits, such as going for shopping on Saturday afternoons or a particular night during the week, every week.

However I do sympathise will people that work Monday-Friday 9-5 as outwith these hours most shops are closed. Therefore if shop owners have decided to try late night shopping on a Thursday, then local people should try to support them.

Remember business is business - if staying open for 3 extra hours is not financially feasible then they are not going to do it. Lets help them succeed!