PDA

View Full Version : Missing Walkers never found

NapalmDeath74
27-Jun-09, 18:02
I'm a keen mountaineer and spent many days on the hill carrying heavy loads sometimes over different Scottish terrain but the terrain what scares me the most is boggy soft ground, terrain what looks normal until you step on it. I had a very scary experience while walking on my own once in Sutherland down Strath Beag, terrain what I thought was normal ground almost swallowed me up, I was lucky I kept calm and manged to drag myself out of this hidden stink pit what wanted to entomb me into a missing person never to found again. I'm young fit and strong, what if I was a elderly walker or someone who easily panics in a trying situation, would I be swallowed up then Mountain Rescue would search in vain for a body never to locate me to bring me home to be buried by my loved ones. Are all the missing walkers never found entombed in the Scottish land scape for ever to be possibly excavated by archaeologist in the future.

joxville
27-Jun-09, 20:36
You're in a cheery mood tonight. ;)

Seriously though, it's something I've never thought about on my many hill walks over the years. I suppose I'd better get myself a long stick for testing the ground in future.

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-09, 20:57
It is one of the things that used to scare me in the old cowboy films when someone fell into quicksand and you would see them going down,:eek: unless of course it was the baddy.:Razz

Rheghead
27-Jun-09, 21:01
Never had a real problem walking over bogs. Mind you, I usually tell by the vegetation where to put my footing.

NapalmDeath74
27-Jun-09, 22:21
Never had a real problem walking over bogs. Mind you, I usually tell by the vegetation where to put my footing.

Well I think your going to get that sinking feeling if you think that vegetation can alert you to soft ground, ever seen a farm tractor sink relative normal looking field the same can happen to animals or humans.

Dog-eared
27-Jun-09, 23:59
Out in the flow country I've put a 10 foot fencepost into a bog and my arm and it didn't touch the bottom ! :eek:

NapalmDeath74
01-Jul-09, 19:26
Bog stink pit survival by that Bear Grylls nutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKd-aZgqbvc

George Brims
01-Jul-09, 21:35
I don't know if I mentioned it when I posted a while back about the (re)discovery of the crashed plane at Strath, Watten, but during the wartime recovery efforts a half-track vehicle was lost in a boggy spot nearby. A rope was attached to it in hopes of getting it out, and the rope was marked every foot as the thing disappeared forever into the peat. The peat at that time (its been gradually draining since) was 38 feet deep!