PDA

View Full Version : weatherspoons in thurso

bobbyrussell09
27-Jun-09, 10:43
although i live in wick it will be good to have a spoons in thurso when it happens,anyone know what locations they've been looking at

loganbiffy
27-Jun-09, 10:45
I personally hope it doesn't happen. The food is awful, the atmosphere is non-existant and the banter is terrible.

bobbyrussell09
27-Jun-09, 10:51
what spoons do u go into,everytime i go theres always a good crack,an personally i find i cheaper for pints ere ,thurso so damn expensive

loganbiffy
27-Jun-09, 10:54
what spoons do u go into,everytime i go theres always a good crack,an personally i find i cheaper for pints ere ,thurso so damn expensive

Been into many spoons my friend. Inverness, Perth, Wick, the Counting House and the Crystal Palace in Glasgow, just so boring and lifeless.
I agree it's cheaper, no doubt about it but I prefer to pay a bit extra for banter, a pool table and music.

Just personal choice :)

bobbyrussell09
27-Jun-09, 11:12
wellwe also get everytime i go to the wick 1 the banter is good.we do get live bands ,an had a very good wii nite

rfr10
27-Jun-09, 17:37
Oh.. I'll be in right away!!! ... haha! Ok, that's my contribution to this thread.;)

theone
27-Jun-09, 23:15
I'd like one just to add some competition in the town.

Their food's not the best, but there's not that great a choice for pub meals in Thurso anyway.

I don't subscribe to the 'cheap beer' philosphy though. Even if you're saving 50p a pint (how much cheaper is wetherspoons for a fosters?) I doubt I'd manage 10 pints in a night.

That being the case, I'd save a fiver, nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd probably just waste that on a taxi home anyway.

bothyman
28-Jun-09, 08:54
Been into many spoons my friend. Inverness, Perth, Wick, the Counting House and the Crystal Palace in Glasgow, just so boring and lifeless.
I agree it's cheaper, no doubt about it but I prefer to pay a bit extra for banter, a pool table and music.

Just personal choice :)

They can't be that bad if you keep going back to them ???:roll:

Mik.M.
28-Jun-09, 09:16
Oh.. I'll be in right away!!! ... haha! Ok, that's my contribution to this thread.;)
Make sure you and any friends that go with you take ID,dont want you coming on here complaining that you were asked to leave.:lol:

Rheghead
28-Jun-09, 09:30

May be it's the pretzel effect. You gotta keep going to see if they get any better?:lol:

loganbiffy
28-Jun-09, 09:48

I don't keep going back, the OP asked how many I had been to. The food is poor, I've heard it from staff how poor it actually is, there is also no atmosphere, no jukebox and no pool table, it's supposed to be a pub, where's the fun for god's sake?
I think a Wetherspoon in Thurso would end up leading to a few good pubs shutting their doors and I would not like to see that.

I also think there is plenty pubs that do food in Thurso, it's really not difficult to find them :P

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 11:54
Maybe we should look at it another way -

Perhaps if Weatherspoon's opens in Thurso all the young Mums with their squawking bairns and their juggernaut prams will go there for their daily fix of asserting their right to 'take-their-precious-offspring-everywhere-and-anywhere-no-matter-how-inappropriate' rather than clogging up a wee cafe like the one in Caithness Horizons? Just a thought.

I remember a good few years ago, when there were rumours that one of the less salubrious pubs in town was about to close down, there was a bit of an outcry by the rest of the publicans in town. The last thing they wanted was the regular patrons of this particular pub overspilling into their own establishments. They needed that pub to stay open.

The moral is - if you have a select target audience, all aspects of that audience need to be catered for somehow.

Maybe Weatherspoon's can become the new Mother and Toddler group and fill that particular aspect, while the rest of the businesses in town get on with fulfilling the needs of the rest.

Again, just a thought. ;)

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 11:59
Maybe we should look at it another way -

Perhaps if Weatherspoon's opens in Thurso all the young Mums with their squawking bairns and their juggernaut prams will go there for their daily fix of asserting their right to 'take-their-precious-offspring-everywhere-and-anywhere-no-matter-how-inappropriate' rather than clogging up a wee cafe like the one in Caithness Horizons? Just a thought.

Again, just a thought. ;)

You never seem to surprise me anymore. Your views are so targeted its rediculous.

If i were ever to meet you (please hope i dont) then i would maybe accidentaly on purpose hit you with my pram.

But its just a thought! ;)

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 12:14
You never seem to surprise me anymore. Your views are so targeted its rediculous.

If i were ever to meet you (please hope i dont) then i would maybe accidentaly on purpose hit you with my pram.

But its just a thought! ;)

Glad to see you are having thoughts Shelley. I encourage you to have more.

bish667
28-Jun-09, 12:17
I think a Wetherspoon in Thurso would end up leading to a few good pubs shutting their doors and I would not like to see that.

Why would other "good" pubs close?

If you mean that they will lose business from people going to Wetherspoons instead then that means the good pubs aren't actually that good.

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 12:26
Glad to see you are having thoughts Shelley. I encourage you to have more.

Haha. Can bring me down! I think on a regular basis! Shocking i know!

Im gonna take a wild guess here and say that you have a stereotype thought of what im like. Gobby, young mum who doesnt care about anything but myself? No im not Vicky Pollard!

Im smart, sophisticated, generous and caring. Just crushed ya didnt i?! ;) [lol]

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 12:49
No im not Vicky Pollard!

Sorry. Who is she? Is she the ditzy blonde from "Hi-De-Hi"?

Im smart, sophisticated, generous and caring. Just crushed ya didnt i?! ;) [lol]

Eh..no. This is the internet. Just 'cos you say it, doesn't make it true. :Razz

ShelleyCowie
28-Jun-09, 13:03
Sorry. Who is she? Is she the ditzy blonde from "Hi-De-Hi"?

Eh..no. This is the internet. Just 'cos you say it, doesn't make it true. :Razz

Like some people think your nice but its just a front? My mates know what im like, bobbyrussel09 being one of my best friends. Im sure he can tell you how nice i am. But i dont need him too because i dont care what you say. Your just AI to me. Infact, more like backgroud noise!! :Razz

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 13:12
Like some people think your nice but its just a front? My mates know what im like, bobbyrussel09 being one of my best friends. Im sure he can tell you how nice i am. But i dont need him too because i dont care what you say. Your just AI to me. Infact, more like backgroud noise!! :Razz

Yes yes, so you say everybody thinks you're "nice". What has that got to do with this thread or any part of it? Or anything?

Vistravi
28-Jun-09, 14:26
Yes yes, so you say everybody thinks you're "nice". What has that got to do with this thread or any part of it? Or anything?

What does bringing the context of another battle thread got to do with this thread anyway? :roll:

Metalattakk
28-Jun-09, 14:48
What does bringing the context of another battle thread got to do with this thread anyway? :roll:

That actually makes no sense, but just for you I'll try to interpret it into something at least plausible, and respond accordingly. Ok, here we go:

My original post was made in response to the previous posts and debate about Weatherspoon's coming to Thurso. The point I made was relevant, and still is. My point actually could be a solution, and a welcome one at that by some accounts.

I apologise if my interpretation of what you were trying to say is wrong.

Jeid
28-Jun-09, 14:56
I'm with Metalattakk.. let the mother and toddlers go to Wetherspoons.

Also, LoganBiffy has a point. Spoons has no atmosphere at all, it's always dull. Tbh, if the drink wasn't so cheap, I doubt it'd pull in as many punters as it does.

Creme_Egg
29-Jun-09, 00:36
shallow minded people have one stereo type typical thursonian broadan your horizans and its not boring atmosphere its what you make of ur visit, shall we all pile to ackergill tower then?

Aaldtimer
29-Jun-09, 03:57
...."no jukebox and no pool table"... sounds like my kinda pub!
Just like the old days.
Can we lose the bliddy tellys as well!
Och, but then, you still have to go outside for a smoke!
Bummer![disgust]

cullpacket
29-Jun-09, 07:24
Aye your right auldtimer who wants to go to a pub where all the people are looking and shouting at telly usually watching 22 kiddys chasing a bag oh wind good craic?? Get a game oh cards on eh go any day. The mafia need a wee bit oh competition monopoly comes to mind!! Is that why they bought the St Clair??

bobbyrussell09
29-Jun-09, 15:49
you dont need pool tables,juke boxes etc.u want to met up an get the crack an no have these distractions.

NapalmDeath74
30-Jun-09, 23:08
Any word on the possible location for Wetherspoons in Thurso, one rumor i've heard that the old Woolworth store is a possible target for Wetherspoon, if they do eventually come to Thurso it will have a damaging effect on the other pubs in Thurso like what happened in Wick and other places around the country. I'm all for cheap booze but cheap booze with atmosphere and a laugh what wetherspoons is lacking.

matelot79
30-Jun-09, 23:48
Any word on the possible location for Wetherspoons in Thurso, one rumor i've heard that the old Woolworth store is a possible target for Wetherspoon.

I think the latest rumour is that they have bought a certain house above a bank and are just waiting for Lloyds TSB to do a cull on the staff and sell of the rest of the property.

theone
01-Jul-09, 00:10
Aye your right auldtimer who wants to go to a pub where all the people are looking and shouting at telly usually watching 22 kiddys chasing a bag oh wind good craic?? Get a game oh cards on eh go any day. The mafia need a wee bit oh competition monopoly comes to mind!! Is that why they bought the St Clair??

And then sold it?

theone
01-Jul-09, 00:12
I think the latest rumour is that they have bought a certain house above a bank and are just waiting for Lloyds TSB to do a cull on the staff and sell of the rest of the property.

There was a post on here not too long ago where someone had emailed weatherspoons asking if they intended to open in Thurso.

They replied that they did not.

bobbyrussell09
01-Jul-09, 11:07
Any word on the possible location for Wetherspoons in Thurso, one rumor i've heard that the old Woolworth store is a possible target for Wetherspoon, if they do eventually come to Thurso it will have a damaging effect on the other pubs in Thurso like what happened in Wick and other places around the country. I'm all for cheap booze but cheap booze with atmosphere and a laugh what wetherspoons is lacking.
i disagree with ur comment bout no atmosphere in spoons,i go ere quite often an i always have a good laugh

bekisman
01-Jul-09, 14:08
I posted this on 8th March last year: I emailed wetherspoon a few days ago to ask if they were 'officially' coming to Thurso, just had this in:

Dear Mr .... Thank you for your email. JD Wetherspoon is looking at sites in Thurso although we are only in the very early stages and therefore I am unable to provide you with any further details. Once again, thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us.
Kind regards
Carolyn Ormerod
Property Department

15 months ago, nought so far?

Flashman
01-Jul-09, 19:55
When I lived down in the city it was basically the last pub in the city I would want to go to so that says it all.

It lacks charm, the food is what you get for the price but not proper pub grub and it just lacks that real pub\bar feel that you get elsewhere.

Having said that it is okay for Wick, it is good for getting crack with your mates and the prices are good.

I think why some people tend to like it up here is because..lets face it alot of the pubs and bars in Caithness suck and are too quiet. If you have not moved around much then weatherspoons looks great.

If they built one in Thurso with a beer garden for the summer then that would be a winner in my book.