PDA

View Full Version : What's the history behind this lintel?

2little2late
17-Mar-06, 00:11
I have just posted this pic onto the photgraph thread. It was a where is it pic. It was correctly guessed as being at the Old Man of Wick. Another question arises.
What is the history behind this lintel?
The inscription reads, J Levick, Heriots hospital 1876.
Why has it ended up at the Castle of Old Wick.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/flickyberry/P2121634.jpg

JAWS
17-Mar-06, 00:33
Some people will steal anything? :o)

golach
17-Mar-06, 00:43
I have just posted this pic onto the photgraph thread. It was a where is it pic. It was correctly guessed as being at the Old Man of Wick. Another question arises.
What is the history behind this lintel?
The inscription reads, J Levick, Heriots hospital 1876.
Why has it ended up at the Castle of Old Wick.

Heriots Hospital refers to George Heriot, the Royal Goldsmith and banker and money lender to King James Vi, He bequeathed to Edinburgh the sum of £23,625 in 1624 to build hospitals of Education to the orphan children of down and out merchants, from this monies "George Heriots Hospital for Education" was built in Lauriston Place in Edinburgh and is now the fee paying school of Edinburgh, there are a further 12 buildings dotted around Edinburgh, further use of his fund was used to build parts of the "New Town" of Edinburgh sic Heriot Row, a solubrious part of the present day city.
Hope this is of some help

2little2late
17-Mar-06, 00:45
Heriots Hospital refers to George Heriot, the Royal Goldsmith and banker and money lender to King James Vi, He bequeathed to Edinburgh the sum of £23,625 in 1624 to build hospitals of Education to the orphan children of down and out merchants, from this monies "George Heriots Hospital for Education" was built in Lauriston Place in Edinburgh and is now the fee paying school of Edinburgh, there are a further 12 buildings dotted around Edinburgh, further use of his fund was used to build parts of the "New Town" of Edinburgh sic Heriot Row, a solubrious part of the present day city.
Hope this is of some help

Thanks, I did find something about Heriot on Google. Just wondered why the lintel ended up on the old man.

brucel44
29-Apr-08, 12:52
Hi, My great, great Grandfather, John Levick, was born in Wick, and worked at Heriot's Hospital School in Laurieston place Edinburgh in the 1870's.
He had a son, also John, who perhaps was involved in the inscription, but I'm not sure. Thought this might be of interest, but I realise the post is a bit cold!!
Cheers,

Bruce

PS it was a google that brought me to your forum, I'm based in Glasgow.

NLP
29-Apr-08, 15:24
Hi, My great, great Grandfather, John Levick, was born in Wick, and worked at Heriot's Hospital School in Laurieston place Edinburgh in the 1870's.
He had a son, also John, who perhaps was involved in the inscription, but I'm not sure. Thought this might be of interest, but I realise the post is a bit cold!!
Cheers,

Bruce

welcome aboard bruce

Venture
29-Apr-08, 15:33
Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Bruce and welcome to the org. I couldn't figure out what you meant by the post being cold until I noticed the original thread started in 2006. Im sure the person who originally started the thread will be grateful for the information. Did you know that the inscription existed before reading about it on here?

Dog-eared
29-Apr-08, 18:46
2little2late asked "why has it ended up at the Castle of Old Wick."

I would assume the lintol was always part of the Old Man Of Wick and the inscription followed later. ;)

Valerie Campbell
30-Apr-08, 13:53
2little2late, don't suppose you got a pic of the swastika while you were out there?

2little2late
30-Apr-08, 17:19
2little2late, don't suppose you got a pic of the swastika while you were out there?

Where is the swastika? This photo was taken about 2 years ago and is now somewhere on disc.

Glad to see it has raised interest though.
Any more info would be grateful.

~~Tides~~
30-Apr-08, 20:14
I always thought there it had something to do with the cholera outbreak in Wick. Weren't victims taken out to the castle or something?

Dog-eared
30-Apr-08, 21:50
Hey, Tides, that's interesting, never heard that before. Any links ? :)

Valerie Campbell
01-May-08, 18:21
Where is the swastika? This photo was taken about 2 years ago and is now somewhere on disc.

Glad to see it has raised interest though.
Any more info would be grateful.

It's apparently on top of a lintel near a little window with a date - 1946 if memory serves me correctly. I haven't actually seen it, but it is there.

TBH
02-May-08, 00:00
I always thought there it had something to do with the cholera outbreak in Wick. Weren't victims taken out to the castle or something?I heard the castle buildings were use to house smallpox victims.