PDA

View Full Version : Taxi drivers gear up for protest

Mr P Cannop
26-Jun-09, 16:58
Taxi drivers in Inverness have staged a protest claiming the numbers of licences being issued far exceeds the available spaces in city ranks.

Inverness Taxi Drivers Association said from 101 taxi operators in the 1980s there were now about 354, but only 25 official spaces on the streets.

Drivers staged a demonstration against Highland Council at the town house.

The authority said it would be legally complicated to restrict the number of plates issued.

Taxi drivers plan to gather later at Caledonian Thistle FC's stadium for a rally.

Vic Rawlins, chairman of the drivers association, said operators were struggling to find space at the ranks.

He said: "The guys are driving round and round the town burning off diesel they can ill afford to burn in the hope of finding a rank space.

"They are suffering.

"If they cannot get on a rank to ply their trade they are not earning a living."

Mik.M.
26-Jun-09, 17:01
And this affects Caithness residents how ?

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 19:34
i'm confused. Is this all about spaces for them to park????? What singnicfance(sp) does it have?

bobbyrussell09
27-Jun-09, 00:30
isnt this caithness.org not sutherland.org this post got nowt to do with wick ,thurso ,surrounding area

theone
27-Jun-09, 00:36
isnt this caithness.org not sutherland.org this post got nowt to do with wick ,thurso ,surrounding area

Whats Inverness got to do with Sutherland?

Moira
27-Jun-09, 01:15
And this affects Caithness residents how ?

Some of us travel beyond the Ord of Caithness in our daily/weekly duties.

crayola
27-Jun-09, 01:47
Taxi drivers in Inverness have staged a protest claiming the numbers of licences being issued far exceeds the available spaces in city ranks.

Inverness Taxi Drivers Association said from 101 taxi operators in the 1980s there were now about 354, but only 25 official spaces on the streets.

The authority said it would be legally complicated to restrict the number of plates issued.

Taxi drivers plan to gather later at Caledonian Thistle FC's stadium for a rally.

Vic Rawlins, chairman of the drivers association, said operators were struggling to find space at the ranks.

He said: "The guys are driving round and round the town burning off diesel they can ill afford to burn in the hope of finding a rank space.

"They are suffering.

"If they cannot get on a rank to ply their trade they are not earning a living."
Interesting post Paul. The growth of Inverness in the last 20 or 30 years doesn't seem to have been reflected in the number of taxi stances available.

Where does one go to find a taxi in Inverness nowadays?

Vistravi
27-Jun-09, 03:49
Up by east gate centre crayola. its sheer madness trying to get one on a sat night after working in the bar. all the drunks steal them first.

Aaldtimer
27-Jun-09, 04:10
Up by east gate centre crayola. its sheer madness trying to get one on a sat night after working in the bar. all the drunks steal them first.

Perhaps you might have more luck phoning for one in advance!
Or is that too complicated for you?:eek:

ShelleyCowie
27-Jun-09, 12:14
I dont take taxi's in inverness. Use the bus service. Might take a bit longer but its better economically! :Razz

When we go down in 13 days we may need to use a taxi to get to my OH's parents house because we will have athrun and tonnes of luggage! (girl needs her shoes)

bobbyrussell09
27-Jun-09, 12:48
you dont need at much shoes ma dear

crayola
27-Jun-09, 13:16
A girl needs as many pairs of shoes as she desires.

If that means 14 pairs for one week then so be it and woe betide any man who argues with me.

So there! :Razz

Vistravi
27-Jun-09, 15:05
I dont take taxi's in inverness. Use the bus service. Might take a bit longer but its better economically! :Razz

When we go down in 13 days we may need to use a taxi to get to my OH's parents house because we will have athrun and tonnes of luggage! (girl needs her shoes)

Unfortunatly to my house shelley after 10pm there is no bus and i'm not walking home on saturday night after 1am. I'm not puting myself in that risk.
I get like all the other staff half my taxi fare back though;)

Vistravi
27-Jun-09, 15:11
Perhaps you might have more luck phoning for one in advance!
Or is that too complicated for you?:eek:

Now Aaldtimer that would work if i knew when i would be finishing in the pub. It all depends on how long the customers take to eventually move along out generally after drinks have been taken out of hands and all cleared away. Now if the bar closed at half 12 it can take up to 1 am to get them all out or only quarter to 1. it's never clear cut as to when i get out. ;)
So about 1 am is when you can get no taxis and have to wait for one when they come along and the drunk people have all got theres and stopped taking them all. i do not put myself at risk when it comes to getting into a taxi with a drunk person i do not know so sharing is out of the question.

What are you taking me for? Some airhead lass who has no idea about the world? Excuse me but you have me completly wrong. You have no idea what i am like so don't make out you do. [disgust]

ShelleyCowie
27-Jun-09, 15:53
you dont need at much shoes ma dear

I thot u knew me better! lol

A girl needs as many pairs of shoes as she desires.

If that means 14 pairs for one week then so be it and woe betide any man who argues with me.

So there! :Razz

Ah someone who agrees! Need shoes incase it rains, its windy, sunny, slight over cast, shoes for the beach, shoes for fishing, shoes for walking, shoes for dress. So many more!! :D

EDDIE
27-Jun-09, 17:07

"They are suffering.

All the taxi drivers are doing is trying to secure there own future what about disabled people they have a right to get a taxi anytime do u see all the taxi drivers buying taxis that have the facility to take a wheel chair no u dont they want a taxi that can be used as car in there own time if u went and said to the taxi drivers about everyone haveing a black cab as standard that takes a wheel chair and i bet they will be up in arms in that as well