PDA

View Full Version : 'Super Pod' of dolphins

highlander
26-Jun-09, 15:50
Was reading about a super pod of dolphins that have been seen in the Moray Firth and they might head this way into caithness, here is the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8120523.stm

kas
26-Jun-09, 19:55
Cheers for the heads up Highander.
We did have quite a few reports of common dolphins including a sighting of over a hundred a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed they do come back this way.

highlander
26-Jun-09, 20:46
It would be a wonderful sight to see kas, lets hope they do come this way and someone manages to get some photo's of them.

fingalmacool
26-Jun-09, 21:01
A couple of years ago, got myself some fish and chips in Golspie, then parked at the car park next to the Council sand depot, looking out to sea, it took several minutes to realise that the sea was flat calm except for a large area that was full of white water so to speak, picked up the bino's and still cant believe how many dolphins there was breaking the surface, they were heading south, haven't a scooby how many, but it was probably in the hundreds:confused

seadog
26-Jun-09, 21:02
I saw a huge pod of dolphins or porpoise about 3 weeks ago just inside Holborn Head. I do not know how many but would estimate at well over a hundred as we were surrounded by them. I would expect at this time of year they would have been migrating East.:)

highlander
26-Jun-09, 22:28
Bad Bad Seadog!!! PLEASE......... remember to take a camera with you at all times lol

kas
26-Jun-09, 22:51
I saw a huge pod of dolphins or porpoise about 3 weeks ago just inside Holborn Head. I do not know how many but would estimate at well over a hundred as we were surrounded by them. I would expect at this time of year they would have been migrating East.:)

Was that Sunday the 7th of June around the middle of the day by any chance. A few reports of Common dolphins that day and one estimated 200. I was in Wick and missed it all.
If anyone does have any local sightings of whales, dolphin or porpoise then please report them to caithness seawatching.
Many Thanks

www.caithness-sea-watching.co.uk (http://www.caithness-sea-watching.co.uk)

seadog
26-Jun-09, 23:52
It was on Saturday 6th June about 1200 as we had just sailed from Scrabster. That should tie in with them being off Wick on the 7th. Loads of marine life around that period with several sightings of killer whales, minkies and a couple of baking sharks.:cool:

Aaldtimer
27-Jun-09, 03:22
It was on Saturday 6th June about 1200 as we had just sailed from Scrabster. That should tie in with them being off Wick on the 7th. Loads of marine life around that period with several sightings of killer whales, minkies and a couple of baking sharks.:cool:

LOL Seadog! What were they baking? A batch of Krill pasties maybe?:)

seadog
27-Jun-09, 12:53
LOL Aaldtimer, will have to get spellchecker on this. There have been marks of fish, probably mackerel, over the last couple of days but no sign of the bigger critturs.:lol: