PDA

View Full Version : Help!

beth210486
25-Jun-09, 17:06
We are getting our kit delivered for our new build on monday but have only just found out that although they deliver Norscot don't unload. I now need to find someone/company who has a forklift truck and will be able to unload it for us. Anybody know of anyone please let me know. Thanks in advance

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 17:30
We are planning on having our Norscot kit erected by Green & Cameron, they have all the gear you need... might be cheaper people around though.

beth210486
25-Jun-09, 17:39
We already have our builder, it's just to get the kit off loaded, I have been in touch with Green and cameron but haven't heard anything back, will try again tomorrow.

Kodiak
25-Jun-09, 18:09
They do not unload your new house. WOW, I now know, if I can ever to afford to buy a House, where no to go to buy one.

If I was buying a Kit house I would expect, from whoever I bought it from, to not only deliver and unload, but to erect it as well.

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 18:32
Kodiak, deliver, unload and erect is three different jobs, apart from making the kit in the first place.
Some people decide to stick with what they can do best and leave the rest to others ;)

Kodiak
25-Jun-09, 18:55
Kodiak, deliver, unload and erect is three different jobs, apart from making the kit in the first place.
Some people decide to stick with what they can do best and leave the rest to others ;)

It all depends on who you get to supply your Kit House. If you go to here :-

http://www.huf-haus.com/gb/01_01_fachwerkhaus_01.html

They not only Make the your House, they deliver it, Unload it and Erect it. Everything is done for you including all Plumbing, Electricial work, Heating, Air Conditioning etc etc.

Also once the Foundations have been laid and set, which is also done by them, they Erect your new house in Only 6 Days and it is then watertight. They can also supply all the interior fittings, ie Kitchen, Bathroom etc etc.

If you watch Grand Designs on More 4 TV then they did a Programme showing them build one of their houses in only 6 Days. It was quite amazing.

OK you pay for it, but I believe it is worth it if you can afford it. Huf say they are the best people to erect the building as they have designed it and know the very best way to assemble and do so with no problems.

But they are not the only people who offer this service as there are several more companies that do the same thing.

So to Make and Deliver, Unload and Erect do not have to be three different Jobs at all.

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 21:08
Kodiak,
Huff Houses are Made In Germany !
As we all know Germans are efficient and talented people, most reliable and multi skilled.
You can't expect anything like that from a British company I'm afraid. [lol]

Mik.M.
25-Jun-09, 21:40
Seen a couple of the Huf houses back in England,can only describe them as fantastic.Wish I could afford one.

Kodiak
25-Jun-09, 21:44
Kodiak,
Huff Houses are Made In Germany !
As we all know Germans are efficient and talented people, most reliable and multi skilled.
You can't expect anything like that from a British company I'm afraid. [lol]

I know that they are Made in Germany this does stop them being great value for your money. They still Deliver and Build them in the UK and they have built Many Homes in the UK, they even have offices in England. Here is their Address :-

Darien House
Seven Hills Road
Cobham
KT11 1EU

Read more about them here :-

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/diy-self-build/kit-houses/huf-haus-the-self-builder-s-guide-08-06-23_p_1.html

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 21:59
Ah, you always know better, don't you... Haribos are also manufactured in the U.K., that doesn't make them British.
Anyway, Beth was looking for somebody to offload her timber frame kit, not for a discussion about British builders.

The business index has loads of builders, maybe you could ring around and see if anybody cna help?
Have you asked your own builder? Maybe they can help?

Kodiak
25-Jun-09, 22:29
Ah, you always know better, don't you... Haribos are also manufactured in the U.K., that doesn't make them British.
Anyway, Beth was looking for somebody to offload her timber frame kit, not for a discussion about British builders.

The business index has loads of builders, maybe you could ring around and see if anybody cna help?
Have you asked your own builder? Maybe they can help?

What on earth are you going on about. I never stated anywhere or said anything about Huf being British. I know Huf are a German Company and I did not claim that they were British.

It makes no difference what nationality a Company is, all that counts is the service they provide. In this particular case Huf Haus design Beautiful Houses, they make them, deliver to your site anywhere in the UK, and Fully Erect them. This includes all fixtures and Fittings.

As I said, if I could afford it, this is the type of service I would expect for my Money, but this would require a Lotto win.

Kirdon
25-Jun-09, 22:39
We are getting our kit delivered for our new build on monday but have only just found out that although they deliver Norscot don't unload. I now need to find someone/company who has a forklift truck and will be able to unload it for us. Anybody know of anyone please let me know. Thanks in advance

Where do you need the kit unloaded?

EDDIE
25-Jun-09, 22:58
I think u need to find out the max weights u are going to be lifting off before orginising a forklift what might be a cheaper option is is there anyone up there with a lorry that has crane on it like for picking up scrap or right off cars?

Kevin Milkins
25-Jun-09, 23:24

Kodiak, beth210486 has put out a request to fellow orgers for some help because She/He needs a fork lift.

They do not unload your new house. WOW, I now know, if I can ever to afford to buy a House, where no to go to buy one.

If I was buying a Kit house I would expect, from whoever I bought it from, to not only deliver and unload, but to erect it as well.

You have come back with something that is a lot less than helpfull.

Stefan has (in a very polite manner) tried to point out what the requirments are.

What on earth are you going on about. I never stated anywhere or said anything about Huf being British. I know Huf are a German Company and I did not claim that they were British.

It makes no difference what nationality a Company is, all that counts is the service they provide. In this particular case Huf Haus design Beautiful Houses, they make them, deliver to your site anywhere in the UK, and Fully Erect them. This includes all fixtures and Fittings.

As I said, if I could afford it, this is the type of service I would expect for my Money, but this would require a Lotto win.

And you have gone off in a huff.

I would imagine with all the stress and strain of building your own house the last thing you need when you find yourself in a corner and big enough to ask for some help, is someone telling them how they would have done the job if they could afford it.:confused

maverick
25-Jun-09, 23:28
Hi beth try simpson's in wick he will hire out a forklift and a driver the number is in the phone book.

beth210486
25-Jun-09, 23:55
Thanks to everyone who has given helpful responses, I will try Simpsons tomorrow and the builder is going to try someone he knows. I might have to put off the delivery for a while though as it is short notice.
Eddie - I'm so useless with all this but Norscot said it is preferably done with a forklift, but thanks for your suggestion.
Hopefully I'll get something sorted tomorrow, it's really hard just now as my husband is away offshore on nightshifts and I really don't have a clue about all this stuff so just got to try my best to sort it.
Just ashame Norscot couldn't have let us know this or stated it more clearly.
My husband did phone them up just a couple of weeks ago and asked if they delivered (as we are not getting them to errect), which they do, but nothing was mentioned about not being able to off load it!

beth210486
25-Jun-09, 23:57
Forgot to mention the plot is at Hill of forss!

Stefan
26-Jun-09, 11:22
Just ashame Norscot couldn't have let us know this or stated it more clearly.

They do state it in their quote before you even order their kit, but it is in the "very small print" section..... I remember reading it and thinking to myself that it would have expected them to send a forklift and driver to unload, but then their prices seemed too good to be true compared to all the other quotes we had from around the country... and they are local and you can go and speak to them face to face any time...

They altered one of their kits to my specification, and I am not an easy guy to please (German perfectionist...), but they did a rather good job of it.

Norscot don't erect their own kits, they just make them. They work closely with Green & Cameron who they recommend for foundations and erection. Green & Cameron can also do a turn key service on Norscot kits, but who can afford that these days ?
I don't think it's any fun to have it all done for you anyway, but unloading from an articulated lorry is certainly one of the things you need doing for you.

Hill of Forss... what a great location to build at !!!

Hope you find somebody who can do the job for you.

shamrock2007
26-Jun-09, 16:43
Hi we got a kit from Norscot aswell. A local farmer came round to unload it for us. Have to warn you that they came really early in the morning & caught everyone out! They are keen to get it off asap tho!

beth210486
26-Jun-09, 17:05
Think the builder has now found someone thank goodness! We probably did see the small print about it a long time ago at the start but you would still think they would have repeated this verbally when my husband phoned about delivery a few weeks ago.
Norscot have been great with the design of the house, changing it regularly at our frequent requests!
We could have got Norscot to errect it for us but their quote was quite high.
Anyway, I'm sure there will be a few more unexpected situations which will arise throughout the build.
Again thankyou to everyone for your help.

beth210486
29-Jun-09, 22:41
Just to let you know that got kit off loaded today without any problems. Thanks to our builder sorting out a guy from Norbloc. Although the roof trusses came seperately from Inverness and arrived at 8.30 so think he had to wait around for a while!
Can't wait to see it all go up now. Gets started next monday once the concrete floor is done.

Kevin Milkins
29-Jun-09, 23:26
Glad you got sorted Beth.

Let's hope this good weather holds out for you.