PDA

View Full Version : Best Driving School?

Tilly Teckel
25-Jun-09, 14:18
I am moving up to Lybster on 8th July and want to take driving lessons asap. Can anyone please recommend a good driving school? I have driven before, and failed my test twice, mostly through nerves, so I'm not a complete novice but need lots of help with parallel parking etc. as I've not driven for 18 months or so. Thanks!

hoopy1406
25-Jun-09, 14:28
I am moving up to Lybster on 8th July and want to take driving lessons asap. Can anyone please recommend a good driving school? I have driven before, and failed my test twice, mostly through nerves, so I'm not a complete novice but need lots of help with parallel parking etc. as I've not driven for 18 months or so. Thanks!

All driving schools in Wick are roughly the same i think, not much difference in price either. BSM is a fairly new one and i assume would have the shortest waiting list :) Good luck with your driving Tilly

espadartecars
25-Jun-09, 17:01
Hi my daughter used Adams school of motoring,she said he was excellent.:)

Kevin Milkins
25-Jun-09, 18:02

Hi Tilly Teckel
I had a squint at the thomson local and there are a couple of links below that may help.

One thing you will notice while driving up here is that is nothing like the white nuckle drive up through Blackwood to Bargoed via Chastons hill:eek:.lol

You will be able to take yourself off on some lovely long drives without changing gear and not seeing another car.:Razz

Good luck. KM

Caithness Driving School (http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Caithness-Driving-School/0032704596202843000/map/companyinfo.html)

Ace Driving School (http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Ace-Driving-School/0001886196202843000/map/companyinfo.html)

Tilly Teckel
25-Jun-09, 19:44
Hi Tilly Teckel
I had a squint at the thomson local and there are a couple of links below that may help.

One thing you will notice while driving up here is that is nothing like the white nuckle drive up through Blackwood to Bargoed via Chastons hill:eek:.lol

You will be able to take yourself off on some lovely long drives without changing gear and not seeing another car.:Razz

Good luck. KM

Caithness Driving School (http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Caithness-Driving-School/0032704596202843000/map/companyinfo.html)

Ace Driving School (http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Ace-Driving-School/0001886196202843000/map/companyinfo.html)
Thanks Kevin. I stalled on that particular hill once, and lost my nerve so much my OH had to get out and swap sides with me, to drive off the hill! Took both my tests in Merthyr and that's a nightmare all of its own. Even the test centre is impossible to get out of and into and as for driving through the town centre without nearly knocking over stupid people who walk out into the road without looking - forget it! Hope it'll all be plain sailing (or driving) up there!

Tilly Teckel
25-Jun-09, 19:47
All driving schools in Wick are roughly the same i think, not much difference in price either. BSM is a fairly new one and i assume would have the shortest waiting list :) Good luck with your driving Tilly
Thanks for that. PM'd someone who was advertising in Recommendations and he charges £28 per hour - a little bit more than I'd expected but don't mind as long as they know what they're doing. Fingers crossed!

Tilly Teckel
25-Jun-09, 19:49
Hi my daughter used Adams school of motoring,she said he was excellent.:)
Cheers - will give them a call :Razz

telfordstar
26-Jun-09, 13:06
Most instructors are around that price up here I'm afraid

floyed
26-Jun-09, 16:30
I can highly recommend Ace driving school they are brilliant and got me through my test first time:D

slp
26-Jun-09, 18:40
how much was the lessons please !! x:D

floyed
26-Jun-09, 18:57
£26 i think but could be dearer now as i took my test in february, but i would give him a phone!:D

highlander2222
26-Jun-09, 22:16
£26 i think but could be dearer now as i took my test in february, but i would give him a phone!:D

£24 is the charge per hour

floyed
26-Jun-09, 22:51
£24 is the charge per hour

I was close just a few pounds out, i new it was'nt as dear as the other driving schools:D:D

highlander2222
27-Jun-09, 11:56
What is a few pounds among friends

northener
30-Jun-09, 09:38
I'd be more bothered about the standard of instruction as opposed to the price....however, as has been pointed out, the ADI's around here are all pretty good.

However, I cannot comment on the new BSM instructor or the new 'GT' instructor as they have only just started.

BTW the BSM instructor is operating on a 'pink' ADI licence. This means he is still training and is not fully qualified until he passes his Part 3 'Ability to instruct' exam....which you only get 3 attempts at and then you're out.

If you look at all the other ADI's badges (in the windscreen) you will see that they are 'green' badges (fully qualified).

Tilly Teckel
30-Jun-09, 09:53
I'd be more bothered about the standard of instruction as opposed to the price....however, as has been pointed out, the ADI's around here are all pretty good.

However, I cannot comment on the new BSM instructor or the new 'GT' instructor as they have only just started.

BTW the BSM instructor is operating on a 'pink' ADI licence. This means he is still training and is not fully qualified until he passes his Part 3 'Ability to instruct' exam....which you only get 3 attempts at and then you're out.

If you look at all the other ADI's badges (in the windscreen) you will see that they are 'green' badges (fully qualified).
I agree! For the sake of a few pounds I'd much rather someone who really knows how to teach. Can't wait to get up there and get started now... one week to go...!!

Allsorts
30-Jun-09, 13:25
The BSM instructor has still had to pass exams to get to the level he is at now and I am sure BSM wouldn't let someone teach others to drive if they didn't feel he was at the right standard to do it as its them that will get the bad name and they are a good school of motering. Lets be honest student midwives deliver babies and they are still learning.

northener
30-Jun-09, 14:44
The BSM instructor has still had to pass exams to get to the level he is at now and I am sure BSM wouldn't let someone teach others to drive if they didn't feel he was at the right standard to do it as its them that will get the bad name and they are a good school of motering. Lets be honest student midwives deliver babies and they are still learning.

I'm not commenting on his personal abilities, I have no experience of being in the car with him so I cannot pass judgement.

My point is that he is not fully qualified.
In other words he has yet to show to the Senior Examiner (ADI) that he is capable of delivering a quality lesson. Until this test is passed there is no way of telling whether a PDI (Prospective ADI) has the ability to teach or not. Yet BSM will charge you the same amount as they would a full ADI.

The two exams he will have passed to get the Pink badge are Part1 (Theory and HP) and Part 2 (Advanced Driving Test). Neither of these exams contain any element of asessing teaching ability.
Once these two exams have been passed, the trainee can apply for a temporary (Pink) licence which lasts 6 months and is not renewable whilst they prepare for their Part 3 exam.

I know quite a few PDI's who were with BSM who have not made the grade (and there'll be many more with 'Red' driving school and all the other big franchises who make a tidy living out of selling training courses).

Did you know the final pass rate for the Part Three (Ability To Teach) exam is only 30odd percent? It is an absolute killer of an exam. Many of those who failed to reach the required standard will have been operating on a Pink badge.
And if they fail 3 times within the 6 month timeframe of their Pink badge - they have to wait 2 years and go through the whole process again right from Part 1.

Like I said, I ain't making comment about the BSM guys ability to teach...merely making sure people understand exactly what the pink ADI licence means.

You pays your money and makes your choice.