PDA

View Full Version : How your name sounds

Vistravi
24-Jun-09, 22:34
In the nursery today one wee lass said my name the first time today. Her language skills are really good but today as i say was the first time i had heard her say my name. It sounded different and strange.

My partner who usually calls me beastie instead of my name and he said it the other day as well and it sounded strange too.

Mind you i'll answer to anything from the kids as long as it sound sort of like my name and i know its me they're wanting.

Anyone else think that sometimes?

Lolabelle
24-Jun-09, 22:47
Dave very rarely calls my by my name, so when he does it sounds sort of odd, almost unfamiliar.

PS, he calls me nice things,not nasty names LOL :eek:
:o usually hunny bun or "Darl" which I'm not so keen on. Sorry have I gone off topic, as for kids, a neighbours son used to call me Puda, ( an even named his cow after me) and the lady at the Thai restaurant calls me Podi???

joxville
24-Jun-09, 22:54
In the nursery today one wee lass said my name the first time today. Her language skills are really good but today as i say was the first time i had heard her say my name. It sounded different and strange.

My partner who usually calls me beastie instead of my name and he said it the other day as well and it sounded strange too.

Mind you i'll answer to anything from the kids as long as it sound sort of like my name and i know its me they're wanting.

Anyone else think that sometimes?

I can't answer the question because I don't know your first name. [lol]

Vistravi
24-Jun-09, 23:19
Dave very rarely calls my by my name, so when he does it sounds sort of odd, almost unfamiliar.

PS, he calls me nice things,not nasty names LOL :eek:
:o usually hunny bun or "Darl" which I'm not so keen on. Sorry have I gone off topic, as for kids, a neighbours son used to call me Puda, ( an even named his cow after me) and the lady at the Thai restaurant calls me Podi???

Beastie is my nickname that he uses. its an endearment lol

crayola
24-Jun-09, 23:26
I can't answer the question because I don't know your first name. [lol]
That's the cheesiest chatup line I've heard in years. :lol:

I used to know a guy called Beastie in Thurso in the 70s. Could you be related Vistravi?

Vistravi
24-Jun-09, 23:32
That's the cheesiest chatup line I've heard in years. :lol:

I used to know a guy called Beastie in Thurso in the 70s. Could you be related Vistravi?

don't think so crayola, mind you, you never know..........:lol:

oldmarine
25-Jun-09, 20:26
My youngest daughter wanted to name her son after me. When I explained how I fought the name 'Marion' all the way through school until I got into the Marines, she changed his name to 'Mason.' I used to get that bit: "ha ha you got a girl's name." I'm sure Mason will thank her when he is old enough to understand.

Vistravi
25-Jun-09, 22:40
My youngest daughter wanted to name her son after me. When I explained how I fought the name 'Marion' all the way through school until I got into the Marines, she changed his name to 'Mason.' I used to get that bit: "ha ha you got a girl's name." I'm sure Mason will thank her when he is old enough to understand.

I have the same name as you oldmarine but i'm female so its ok. but i must say i have hated it most of my life and already know that i will not inflict another child with it. But it was and still is my surname that i got stick for and had name calling inflicted on me all through school. Now no one dares to make fun of it as they mostly end up with a verbal slap. I'm not unconfident as i was as a teenager. I'm glad my weeist bro is not that way. he is only 11 and will make sure anyone who picks on him doesn't do it again. He is no pushover, wish i'd been more like him when i was a teenager. I like myself now that i'm out of that awkward scary part of life. :lol:

Vistravi
25-Jun-09, 22:48
Another child said my name for the first time today, she hasn't come close to saying it right but i know what she means. I was called lady by a child who can't say my name at all. It was a hoot as she said goodbye using my workmates name and then said "bye lady" to me. of course in our breaks this caused humourous remarks to each other later;)

My wee bros couldn't say my name at all untill they were bout three to four years old. i got called warion for years lol. It's a difficult name for a child to get their tongue around while they're learning to speak.

ett23
25-Jun-09, 23:36
What does sound strange is when your children decide to call you by your first name instead of 'mum' or 'dad'. Really weird!! :roll:

Fran
26-Jun-09, 01:24
I agree. i think it is rude and disrespectful , and hurtful for children to call their parents by their first name.

Alice in Blunderland
26-Jun-09, 06:53
I agree. i think it is rude and disrespectful , and hurtful for children to call their parents by their first name.

You tell that to my kids. :lol:

I am so switched off to the whines of mmmmuuuummmmmm that my kids will shout mum a couple of times then shout my name as they know that gets a reaction. :roll:

Geez I will now have to switch off to them calling my name. :lol:

northener
26-Jun-09, 08:35

Hi Leatherneck, wasn't John wayne called Marion, too?

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 15:41
You tell that to my kids.

I am so switched off to the whines of mmmmuuuummmmmm that my kids will shout mum a couple of times then shout my name as they know that gets a reaction.

Geez I will now have to switch off to them calling my name.

Kids always find a new way around something [lol]

ShelleyCowie
26-Jun-09, 16:22
I usually get called Selley, they forget the SH part! lol.

My OH calls me My Shell. Since my name is actually michelle! :roll:

honey
26-Jun-09, 16:38
My name is Michelle, but i mostly get called Shelly. I have been known to ignore people that call me Michelle just because im so not used to it, that it doesnt register they are talking to me!

ShelleyCowie
26-Jun-09, 19:36
What does sound strange is when your children decide to call you by your first name instead of 'mum' or 'dad'. Really weird!! :roll:

I have no choice but to call my mum by her name. She is my manager cos i went back to work with her this week! :Razz

My name is Michelle, but i mostly get called Shelly. I have been known to ignore people that call me Michelle just because im so not used to it, that it doesnt register they are talking to me!

I dont answer to Michelle either! Dont realise anyone is speaking to me when they say it!

My dad calls me Mac or by my other nickname, Loopy! :roll: Suits me eh!

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 19:57
I have no choice but to call my mum by her name. She is my manager cos i went back to work with her this week!

Is your mum a slave driver or a nice boss;)

ShelleyCowie
26-Jun-09, 19:59
Is your mum a slave driver or a nice boss;)

A bit of both! :lol: Naw she is a great boss! She does like to get things done, but so do i!

And she cant show any favouratism towards me so sometimes i think she is harder on me! lol.

But she is good! Missed working with ma mum! :Razz

davlaurjen
26-Jun-09, 20:15
This is true.I bet he didn't stand for any nonsense over it though,Pilgrim!

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 20:24
A bit of both! :lol: Naw she is a great boss! She does like to get things done, but so do i!

And she cant show any favouratism towards me so sometimes i think she is harder on me! lol.

But she is good! Missed working with ma mum! :Razz

She sounds like a fair boss. Its the way it should be, unfortunatly not so in some cases.

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 20:36

This is true.I bet he didn't stand for any nonsense over it though,Pilgrim!

Ah no i've got a male name now[lol]

balto
26-Jun-09, 20:38
i mind when my eldest daughter did this when she was little andshe got some encouragement from our neighbours, not to say i was annoyed at what they were doing, soon sorted it out.

oldmarine
27-Jun-09, 05:42

Yep, but he changed his name. I fought for my name and kept it.
:lol:[lol]