PDA

View Full Version : Wick Maternity Unit?

Westsider3
23-Jun-09, 23:34
Apparently the Wick Maternity Unit will not be back to normal status for another month causing many mums-to-be to have to travel to Raigmore to deliver. I think we should be watching NHS Highland as they are attempting to close the unit again, I'm sure of it.

Does anyone have any contacts for the North Action Group (?) that just disbanded earlier this year? I'd love to get in touch with some of them to see what they are thinking and if there is anything we can do to stop this happening.

It's such a backward and life-threatening thing to do, I can't believe they think that they can get away with putting so many lives at risk. It makes me so mad.

Fran
24-Jun-09, 00:50
I'm sure Bill Fernie was on this committee.
If you type wick maternity unit action group into the search at the top here, you will get lots of threads and posts about the action group, this should help you. You can always contact the Patients council at the hospital, they will help you.

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 06:09
Is it not because they have a high rate of staff absent through sickness still ?

celtchicky
24-Jun-09, 06:39
i agree westsider. its shocking and must be a huge worry for mothers-to-be. could they not bring in agency staff to cover the sickness??? im sure there are other options rather than puttin mothers at risk, although i would believe they would never wish that

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 08:00
i agree westsider. its shocking and must be a huge worry for mothers-to-be. could they not bring in agency staff to cover the sickness??? im sure there are other options rather than puttin mothers at risk, although i would believe they would never wish that

You try getting agency staff to come to Wick. :)

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 08:09
im sure there are other options rather than puttin mothers at risk, although i would believe they would never wish that

Let me see transfer the patient to Inverness in advance of the event where there is plenty of fully trained staff able to deal with any emergency for both mum and baby................. or keep them in Wick and hope that the mum will be okay and that neither she nor baby will need medical intervention thus a last minute run down the road/flight in an ambulance.

Which one is the greater risk to mum and baby?

wifie
24-Jun-09, 08:47
How far in advance are we talking Alice? I have experience of this from the Western Isles and I suppose they are used to it or at least resigned to it. I do spare a thought for first time mums and their partners, who may not get a lot of time off beforehand. I also realise that Inverness is a hop and a skip for most folk from Caithness but there is the price of fuel, etc to be considered these days. I can appreciate the hospital's predicament too tho if it is staff illness that is causing the problem. Far away places with strange sounding names is not everyone's cup of tea! (Wick ;))

Westsider3
24-Jun-09, 08:53
It clearly said in the paper 2 weeks ago today that they were back to full strength bar one midwife. “NHS Highland yesterday denied there is any attempt to undermine the future of the Wick unit and insisted it is on course to return to normal service following the recent staffing problems.” So what is the problem now?

On the lead up to delivery it is very emotional for mothers to be and the thought of facing the travelling and the unknown is very upsetting. Especially if having to travel home with a newborn having had a section.

I just think to close the unit is such a backward step and I can't imagine why anyone would support its closure.

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 08:53
How far in advance are we talking Alice? (Wick ;))

I don't know I'm playing devils advocate. Looking at the bigger picture.:D

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 09:00
It clearly said in the paper 2 weeks ago today that they were back to full strength bar one midwife. “NHS Highland yesterday denied there is any attempt to undermine the future of the Wick unit and insisted it is on course to return to normal service following the recent staffing problems.” So what is the problem now?

On the lead up to delivery it is very emotional for mothers to be and the thought of facing the travelling and the unknown is very upsetting. Especially if having to travel home with a newborn having had a section.

I just think to close the unit is such a backward step and I can't imagine why anyone would support its closure.

Contact the hospital and ask.

Yes its an emotional time for mothers but setting emotion aside the safety and well-being of both mother and baby is top priority. :)

I for one did not enjoy my many trips up and down to Inverness in the back of an ambulance to have my daughter but accepted at that time it was the best place for both me and my child.

I had the rest of my children in Wick with no problems. :)

dirtywicker
24-Jun-09, 09:45
Apparently the Wick Maternity Unit will not be back to normal status for another month causing many mums-to-be to have to travel to Raigmore to deliver. I think we should be watching NHS Highland as they are attempting to close the unit again, I'm sure of it.

Does anyone have any contacts for the North Action Group (?) that just disbanded earlier this year? I'd love to get in touch with some of them to see what they are thinking and if there is anything we can do to stop this happening.

It's such a backward and life-threatening thing to do, I can't believe they think that they can get away with putting so many lives at risk. It makes me so mad.

i agree with what your saying in one way but in another its a lot better for mums to be if they are down in inverness,
i myself am due in 9 weeks & have to go to raigmore hospital & it is a bit of a pain as i have a young child as well but id rather be down there,where they have the right people trained to help if anything goes wrong,its a lot less worrying than if i was having the baby up here.
i had a pretty bad labour last time & they had to call in an emergancy doctor(who was not on duty at the time) to help & he took quite some time getting there so its a lot better that mums to be have staff trained & there at inverness on hand to help if need be.

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 09:52
Is it not because they have a high rate of staff absent through sickness still ?

Not any more its not. I understand that there is only one member of staff off right now.

Westsider3
24-Jun-09, 10:01
I contacted someone from NHS Highland last Monday to find out if I will be able to deliver in Wick within the next 2 weeks. I am still waiting for a reply and my time is running out. I am hoping to have some sort of reply today if not I will be phoning tomorrow to find out what is happening.

I completely agree that my baby's and my safety are the most important and I will get over having to deliver in Raigmore. However, I think we should be looking at the long term implications of what is happening just now. I really feel that we should be fighting this because I am sure they are definitely attempting to downgrade the unit in a sneaky way.

ShelleyCowie
24-Jun-09, 10:09
I would hate for the wick maternity unit to close. :(

If and when you find out information please let us know. I am very interested.

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 10:09
i agree with what your saying in one way but in another its a lot better for mums to be if they are down in inverness,
i myself am due in 9 weeks & have to go to raigmore hospital & it is a bit of a pain as i have a young child as well but id rather be down there,where they have the right people trained to help if anything goes wrong,its a lot less worrying than if i was having the baby up here.
i had a pretty bad labour last time & they had to call in an emergancy doctor(who was not on duty at the time) to help & he took quite some time getting there so its a lot better that mums to be have staff trained & there at inverness on hand to help if need be.

At least they have the 'emergency doctor' available 24/7, although they may take a little while to come in. If they had to call an 'emergency ambulance' it may not be available at all. Remember all, that the ambulance is there for all types of calls and may be off on another call and not available for some considerable time, maybe hours, before they can attend to a call to transfer a patient to Inverness. If our unit in Wick is to be down graded or even closed, it will have a massive effect on a lot of services in Caithness General, and may well lead to tragic and possibly avoidable events.
Planned trips to Raigmore are not always possible as complications can easily start suddenly and well before the date you are supposed to be in Inverness to await the delivery of your child.

dirtywicker
24-Jun-09, 10:19
At least they have the 'emergency doctor' available 24/7, although they may take a little while to come in. If they had to call an 'emergency ambulance' it may not be available at all. Remember all, that the ambulance is there for all types of calls and may be off on another call and not available for some considerable time, maybe hours, before they can attend to a call to transfer a patient to Inverness. If our unit in Wick is to be down graded or even closed, it will have a massive effect on a lot of services in Caithness General, and may well lead to tragic and possibly avoidable events.
Planned trips to Raigmore are not always possible as complications can easily start suddenly and well before the date you are supposed to be in Inverness to await the delivery of your child.
i said in my first response that i agree with you about wick closing or downgrading as i hoped to have this baby there as well but that i myself feel a lot safer this time around knowing that i will be in raigmore & have doctors there on hand to help
i had a lot of complications with my first birth & probably wouldnt be here now if the emergancy doctor hadnt got there when he did
so i am very grateful to the staff in wick
but just feel a lot safer in inverness as they have more staff & doctors there

tonkatojo
24-Jun-09, 11:21

Or they could be off with maternity leave, that should be a few month or so. ;)

Venture
24-Jun-09, 11:22
Not every Mum-to-be is being sent to Raigmore. I heard of one yesterday who had her baby in Wick on Monday. Perhaps it is only those who might have had complications first time round or a troubled pregnancy who are being put to Inverness. Definitely the right thing to do in my opinion.

Corsastu
24-Jun-09, 12:11
The mums to be being sent to Inverness are those who need to be induced!! They are still delivering natural births and C-sections its madness sending all these women to Inverness. I myself just had a baby 7 weeks ago and I was due to be sent to Inverness to be induced...I went into early labour but because I was overdue and already booked into Inverness for the following day, they expected my partner to drive me to Inverness IN LABOUR, thankfully I stood my ground and said I was not going as my baby was is extreme distress and if I had not gone into Wick I would never have known this and my baby probably would not have survived, I had to have an emergency section!

In my stay of 3 nights I met at least 10 different midwives and lots of other staff so there were no shortages! It doesnt make sense that they can still arrange sections here but cannot induce its crazy!

Its ok for those who are not due babys to say going to Inverness is the best thing but its a lot of stress to go through and you are away from all your family at the time you need them most! I for one will be looking to help the Maternity Unit as I would have hated to go to Inverness!

Westsider3
24-Jun-09, 12:22
Not every Mum-to-be is being sent to Raigmore. I heard of one yesterday who had her baby in Wick on Monday. Perhaps it is only those who might have had complications first time round or a troubled pregnancy who are being put to Inverness. Definitely the right thing to do in my opinion.

I believe there is a list of factors that determine whether you are deemed low risk or not for delivering in Wick. I agree not every mum-to-be is being sent to Raigmore but for ones who are, inlcuding myself, I am sure it is absolutely horrible! I can't understand why suddenly there has to be a low risk status put on the unit when they are, according to the paper, operating on a nearly normal quota of staff. If this is the case then how many mums-to-be have been put at risk by the paper pushers at the top?

I delivered my first child in Wick relatively quickly and easily. I had first-class treatment in Wick and could not fault one single thing. Every person I came across in the unit and within the community midwives were fantastic and I was really looking forward to having a similar experience this time round. The dealings I have had with Wick, Raigmore and the community midwives so far this time round have also been very good.

I really do think we need to be watching this situation very carefully as I reckon they are going to do away with the unit. This is just my gut feeling and I most certainly will be delivering my baby where I am recommended to do so. I won't be putting it or me in any unnecessary danger.

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 13:35
I won't be putting it or me in any unnecessary danger.

And quite right too, but the safest option must surely to have the experts in your local community.

Suth11
24-Jun-09, 13:45
i gave birth in inverness 4 weeks ago (second baby) and the experience was very positive although i would have prefered to deliver in wick.
i went into the henderson ward to get checked over because i had not felt the baby move and i was there from 11am to 4pm waiting to be seen as there were two other women in labour so there was not enough staff that day.
does anyone know what kind of service they will offer if the unit is downgraded? will they do emergency csections? or just off to inverness in an ambulance?

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 14:04
does anyone know what kind of service they will offer if the unit is downgraded? will they do emergency csections? or just off to inverness in an ambulance?

It is entirely possible that the operating theatre will be next on the hit list. If the matty unit were to be down graded then the work for the theatre would be lessened. Bean counters in their nice offices in Raigmore will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of keeping more money in Inverness to be able to biuld another office block or put nice fresh carpet under their feet.

lynne duncan
24-Jun-09, 14:06
everyone would be delivered in inverness was what was considered before,
at risk pregnancies, twins, previous high risk or medium risk pregs all would be sent to inverness,
or if you were in the low risk!!!!!! category then you could at your own decision elect to stay and deliver here but on your own head be it!!!!
if you went in in labour and then , there's the a9 off you go - hope you have a nice time! would be the reply, emergency c-sections would be done but by whom!!! visiting gynaes if you are lucky and they consent to it, or the onsite surgeons if they consent to do it, because if they did downgrade to midwife led then there would be no resident gynaes

how many time must the nhs highland!!!! (inverness) try and wing this through
it wasn't acceptable before and it still AIN'T

lynne duncan
24-Jun-09, 14:11
suth11
was lack of staff the only reason you were sent to wick?
that really isn't acceptable
( think i am sure of this) it used to be that midwives from raigmore would cover staff shortage, and even if it wasn't why is it not? if there was a shortage of doctors do they not use locums, why can this not be done?

it's only costing us locals more and putting our lives at risk
not acceptable in this day and age
and also puts the ambulance staff under more pressure as well

this makes my blood boil

hoopy1406
24-Jun-09, 14:18
I totally agree that the Henderson ward should be kept open. I dont think people are thinking of the risks that pregnancies carry - premature labour, miscarriages, stillborn babies, bleeding etc. To live in wick and go through any of these dreadful circumstances would be horrifying knowing that a 2hour journey awaits you before you can see a midwife. It is reasons like these that it i important to have a maternity ward that is local to us. Raigmore will just not do!

Alice in Blunderland
24-Jun-09, 14:34
suth11
was lack of staff the only reason you were sent to wick?
that really isn't acceptable
( think i am sure of this) it used to be that midwives from raigmore would cover staff shortage, and even if it wasn't why is it not?

If there was a lack of staff would it not be safer to be sent somewhere there was adequate cover?

I dont think you would be all that willing if you lived in Inverness to be told/asked to cover in Wick. They are contracted surely to work in Raigmore? If it was a case of ship the staff around the county then I think recruitment would become very difficult.

Wick66
24-Jun-09, 14:46
If there was a lack of staff would it not be safer to be sent somewhere there was adequate cover?

I dont think you would be all that willing if you lived in Inverness to be told/asked to cover in Wick. They are contracted surely to work in Raigmore? If it was a case of ship the staff around the county then I think recruitment would become very difficult.

What about bank/agency or locum staff as they have with doctors. Anyway, staffing is not the real issue here. The issue is with the pecieved running down of the Matty unit in Wick. This is a battle that was fought and won a few years ago, but it was said at that time that the powers that be in NHS Inverness would not be happy with the decision and that they would find another way to unlock the door.

Westsider3
24-Jun-09, 15:09

My Goodness - the point is there should be adequate cover provided in our local hospital!!! Why should a pregnant lady have to be 'sent' to Raigmore for probably one of the most emotional and hard times of their lives?!

Granted there may be times when adequate cover cannot be provided for one reason or another but this is the beginning of the end as far as I can see!

Suth11
24-Jun-09, 15:59
lynne - sorry i didnt say, i was sent to inverness because a scan showed that the babys head was below average and he may have needed to go to SCBU, so they brought forward my induction date. was originally the 1st of june but instead was moved to the 27th of May.

Fran
25-Jun-09, 01:11
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please DONT worry about the time it takes to get to Raigmore - an air ambulance can be here in less than 15 minutes.
I really dont beleive the maternity ward will close, after all, they have just installed a birth pool at great expense, so they are hardly going to close are they.

maidencaithness
25-Jun-09, 08:00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please DONT worry about the time it takes to get to Raigmore - an air ambulance can be here in less than 15 minutes.
I really dont beleive the maternity ward will close, after all, they have just installed a birth pool at great expense, so they are hardly going to close are they.
That's all good and well if they think you need an air ambulance but what about the one's that have to travel home from Inverness after having a section, can't be a very comfortable experience!!
As for the birthing pool, great but what's the point of having it if they don't have the staff to man it,

S&LHEN
25-Jun-09, 08:38
:(I had a very bad experience giving birth to my third child In Wick I had my other two in Inverness and it was fantastic plain sailing and staff were fantastic.
I thought maybe this was a one off and then had to go there again when my son took ill to accident and emergency and I wish I hadnt.
Iwaited for 2 and three quarter hours and then I went and said I was taking my son home and that this was awful I could have been in raigmore with him by now I said which was true. Only then did I get to see someone.
Its so worrying as my son had a severe allergic reaction and it could have been fatal.
I will not put my faith in them again my advice is go straight to Inverness if its an emergency.:~(

shamrock2007
25-Jun-09, 10:54
A pregnant woman can only be flown in the plane they won't put you in the helicopter. Takes ages to arrange the plane. Been there twice, airlifted out of Wick! First time to Edinburgh second time til Kinloss cause Inverness Airport shuts at night then back by road! The joys! Both babies were prem tho so no choice but not fair to put everyone through that.

AfternoonDelight
25-Jun-09, 16:40
:(I had a very bad experience giving birth to my third child In Wick I had my other two in Inverness and it was fantastic plain sailing and staff were fantastic.
I thought maybe this was a one off and then had to go there again when my son took ill to accident and emergency and I wish I hadnt.
Iwaited for 2 and three quarter hours and then I went and said I was taking my son home and that this was awful I could have been in raigmore with him by now I said which was true. Only then did I get to see someone.
Its so worrying as my son had a severe allergic reaction and it could have been fatal.
I will not put my faith in them again my advice is go straight to Inverness if its an emergency.:~(

This post confuses me - firstly you are talking about giving birth then you are talking about A&E. I have no doubt that waiting that amount of time was distressing for both you and your son but questioning the abilities of the staff is counter productive and downright nasty.

The staff in the maternity unit in Wick are professional, hard working and caring and to even suggest otherwise is shows a total lack of consideration.

This story is nothing more than Labour scaremongering. Politics; that's how it works - and it is only effective when people believe it... :roll:

lister
25-Jun-09, 17:41
After reading all these posts can you imagine a young couple wanting to settle here and start a family or the feelings of a caithness mother to be .
start a family, i can only imagine the normal fears of a mother to be(being a bloke) but it seems that stress and worry will also have to be taken in to account as well.
Seems very sad and worrying that we all pay the taxes/national ins for the services but dont get them.

wndyndy
25-Jun-09, 20:39
After reading all these posts can you imagine a young couple wanting to settle here and start a family or the feelings of a caithness mother to be .
start a family, i can only imagine the normal fears of a mother to be(being a bloke) but it seems that stress and worry will also have to be taken in to account as well.
Seems very sad and worrying that we all pay the taxes/national ins for the services but dont get them.

thinking all mothers-to-be have to travel more than two hours to give birth in raigmore, this is going to be dangerous for both mothers-to-be and babies, all people in caithness should do whatever we could to stop the maternity unit being shut.:(

Dadie
25-Jun-09, 20:46
I doubt I will have 2 hours ...
I had Lauren at 37 weeks in 1hr 30
Iona at 38 weeks in 45 mins.
So what will happen this time???
If I go into labour early I doubt I will make it to Inverness unless they telaport me..
I wont be happy if they want me to go down there and wait because I have 2 kids to look after already....and granny and granda do enough already!

Fran
26-Jun-09, 00:31
I really do think you are all jumping the gun here. The maternity unit is not closing, they tried that before remember. As I said they are not going to put in a birthing pool at such expense then close the ward. There were some staff off sick and they are now back.

Rheghead
26-Jun-09, 00:41
I'm very glad the maternity ward is not going to close.

maidencaithness
26-Jun-09, 08:32
I really do think you are all jumping the gun here. The maternity unit is not closing, they tried that before remember. As I said they are not going to put in a birthing pool at such expense then close the ward. There were some staff off sick and they are now back.
the staff may be back but they are still sending some women to Inverness who had straight forward births first time, I am glad to hear they aren't going to close as I had both my children by emergency section there and the staff were fantastic, was in Inverness while pregnant the staff there were lovely as well but just didn't have the same amount of time to spend with you.

miss swanson
26-Jun-09, 08:35
have they got a birthing pool in wick????

KCI
26-Jun-09, 09:15
have they got a birthing pool in wick????

Yes, they do. It's hardly been used though.
I really doubt that they would close the maternity wing, so I think we are all worrying about nothing.
I'm glad I am not expecting at the moment though, as thit thread would really have me worried!
Our maternity department is brilliant, and I can't see them closing it.

miss swanson
26-Jun-09, 09:18
aww i didnt no that its good to no tho im 5 months gone it is a bit scarey

KCI
26-Jun-09, 09:40
aww i didnt no that its good to no tho im 5 months gone it is a bit scarey

Speak to your midwife about the Birthing Pool. Also, write it in your Birth Plan, so that the midwife in the Hospital know that you would like to use the Pool. Obviously, if someone is in there already, it won't be available for you, but it's better to let them know that you are thinking about using it.

Fran
26-Jun-09, 17:34
It takes quite a while to fill it up!!!

Suth11
26-Jun-09, 22:03
do u know when they installed the birthing pool fran?
i was really keen to use it but i think they have had 2 deliveries in it, i may be wrong but that is what a community mw told me.

Fran
27-Jun-09, 01:16
The birthing pool was installed in February this year and is used mainly for pain relief.

Fran
27-Jun-09, 01:23
The head midwife was off with a broken arm but is back now. did you know that the henderson wing does other things apart from delivering babies. there is a baby yoga and a baby massage classes as well as other things, pre natal and post natal,...it is quite a busy place.

dirtywicker
27-Jun-09, 08:17
fran do you know what age the baby massage if for?
thanks

Suth11
27-Jun-09, 10:55
the classes have only recently started back up as Inverness put a stop to them (i think it may have been due to staffing aswell)

i know the massage is back on and i think the breastfeeding support is on again but not sure about yoga.

Suth11
27-Jun-09, 10:57
baby massage is from 6 weeks old and you can go as long as bubbs likes but i think we switched to the yoga class as soon as my little one was starting to get on the move

lynne duncan
27-Jun-09, 22:00
did that grab some attention, from what i have heard today
(maybe rumour mill, but the person who told me, knew everything that was happening the last time this scenario was being touted!!!, this time it isn't being done under a review but very underhandedly)

the unit will be downgraded from 9 beds to 4 beds and operate not 24 hrs a day but 9 to 5.

if you are pregnant or have family who are pregnant or are planning or even not planning babies and you fancy saving their lives then START asking questions of whoever you can get your hands on!!!!!

and also if someone could tell me the answer to this one, have two of the current gynaes been offered contracts in raigmore? and if so have they got others to take their place and if not why???

IF I AM WRONG ABOUT THIS I APOLOGIES, BUT PLEASE ASK THE POWERS THAT BE, I WILL BE.

Westsider3
27-Jun-09, 22:08
OMG - I knew it!! Something has to be done about this and ASAP! I'd certainly be willing to help take action! This is absolutely outrageous!!!

KCI
27-Jun-09, 22:17
I hope this isn't true.
I gave birth to my baby in Wick 19 weeks ago. We only just made it to the hospital in time - he was born about 7 minutes after we arrived by ambulance! If we didn't have a maternity unit in Wick, what would have happened?
Wick Maternity Unit is fantastic, and I would rather give birth there than any other hospital.
I was so sure that this wasn't going to happen - now I'm really worried! We need our maternity unit in Wick.:eek:

ShelleyCowie
27-Jun-09, 23:00
Disgraceful! Wick maternity unit is brilliant! I liked my stay there which was a long time!! They were all extremelly friendly and helpful!!

What can we do to stop this? :eek:

simpsoney
27-Jun-09, 23:23
I agree. Had both my kids there within the last three years and couldnt have asked for better care.

~~Tides~~
28-Jun-09, 01:12
I think the powers that be's memories are pretty short, I think another big march/rally to show that we just wont put up with this is in order! That should nip it in the bud.

Fran
28-Jun-09, 01:42
I think you have this all wrong, and it is not nice for expectant mums having to read this.
If you are so concerned contact your mp john thurso.
Can I give you a quoted maternity services update----
"There has been an increase in home birthing rATES IN Scotland, Locally home births may be an issue due to staff numbers and lack of bank staff availability.
The integration of the service is continuing with staff being trained in each area.
Bed numbers in the Henderson unit have been reduced to 9....due to the new birthing unit and underuse of beds......reflecting more care in the community and shorter stays in hospital with an increase in daycases"
Plus, midwives have recently attended further training and one of the consultants only started one year ago and a lead midwife was given a 2 year appointment.I haven't heard of any maternity consultants leaving in the past year.

Fran
28-Jun-09, 02:12
I see another post on the maternity unit has been started now.

cuddlepop
28-Jun-09, 07:53
NHS Highland are cutting hospital beds if they are not "fully" occupied in a financial year.

We have lost 6 beds in Portree and 2 in Broadford.

We have a pressure group set up to try and reinstate our beds overhere.
This was done with no consultation.
Millions was spent a few years ago on Portree hospital to accommodate patients from Gesto,which was an elderly infirm unit.

Unless you can justifi your beds they will close.:~(

kitty
28-Jun-09, 09:42
I hope it doesn't close. Not that i'm planning on having any more kids but if i hadn't of had wick to go to when i was in labour i wouldn't have made it as far as Inverness.

We live far to far away from Inverness for them to close this ward or even downgrade it.

Fran
28-Jun-09, 15:10
Some beds are being reduced in ALL wards due to new legislation which requires more space between beds than there is a t p[resent, so a 6 bed ward would become a 4 bed ward.

lynne duncan
28-Jun-09, 18:45
I think you have this all wrong, and it is not nice for expectant mums having to read this.
If you are so concerned contact your mp john thurso.
Can I give you a quoted maternity services update----
"There has been an increase in home birthing rATES IN Scotland, Locally home births may be an issue due to staff numbers and lack of bank staff availability.
The integration of the service is continuing with staff being trained in each area.
Bed numbers in the Henderson unit have been reduced to 9....due to the new birthing unit and underuse of beds......reflecting more care in the community and shorter stays in hospital with an increase in daycases"
Plus, midwives have recently attended further training and one of the consultants only started one year ago and a lead midwife was given a 2 year appointment.I haven't heard of any maternity consultants leaving in the past year.

it's because of the pregnant mums I'M SHOUTING ABOUT THIS, sorry Fran but there is something up!!!!!!!
Why are all overdue mothers being sent to RAIGMORE?
I spoke to a mum to be today who is 10 days overdue she is perfectly fit and healthy, and she has to go to raigmore to be induced tomorrow WHY?
she has no medical conditions warranting it? and as far as we know there are no staff shortages?

less than an hour ago I spoke to someone and she said that there are no staff shortages in the unit - midwife or gynae AND that the staff are currently NOT allowed to carry out inductions in the unit WHY!!!!!?

So why are our mums having to go to Raigmore???

tell you what i wouldna fancy having to travel over 2 hours to Raigmore tomorrow in a car in these temperatures, just because the staff in Wick are not being allowed to carry out what they are trained to do?

As you said Fran - I don't want to worry expextant mothers,
but I don't want the maternity unit to be reduced as has been proposed in the past,
so yes i will be speaking to the MSP's tomorrow until I can get some reassurance that this is not some sly underhanded way of the NHS Highland to reduce the service

Westsider3
28-Jun-09, 18:54
it's because of the pregnant mums I'M SHOUTING ABOUT THIS, sorry Fran but there is something up!!!!!!!
Why are all overdue mothers being sent to RAIGMORE?
I spoke to a mum to be today who is 10 days overdue she is perfectly fit and healthy, and she has to go to raigmore to be induced tomorrow WHY?
she has no medical conditions warranting it? and as far as we know there are no staff shortages?

less than an hour ago I spoke to someone and she said that there are no staff shortages in the unit - midwife or gynae AND that the staff are currently NOT allowed to carry out inductions in the unit WHY!!!!!?

So why are our mums having to go to Raigmore???

tell you what i wouldna fancy having to travel over 2 hours to Raigmore tomorrow in a car in these temperatures, just because the staff in Wick are not being allowed to carry out what they are trained to do?

As you said Fran - I don't want to worry expextant mothers,
but I don't want the maternity unit to be reduced as has been proposed in the past,
so yes i will be speaking to the MSP's tomorrow until I can get some reassurance that this is not some sly underhanded way of the NHS Highland to reduce the service

Well said Lynne! There is definitely something going on here and we need as many people to shout about it as possible. It is too easy for people who have no connections with pregnant mothers to be unconcerned but it is something that we ALL have to fight for. I am having to go to Raigmore myself on Tues to deliver my second baby - much to my utter annoyance and despair. It just seems ludicrous that we are having to travel that distance for something that could so easily happen up here. What are the consultants getting paid for just now is what I'd like to know? I presume that they must be in on the decision making about what is deemed low risk or not! Everyone needs to fight this cause! It is going to touch each and every one of us in the very near future! Plus if they get away with downgrading and closing the Maternity Unit what's next on the agenda for Caithness General?

ocd
28-Jun-09, 19:32
Good on Lynne for starting this post, there IS a real threat this could happen and don't think for 1 minute that NHS Highland will "consult" on this, it will just be a gradual transition, which I suspect has already started.

The other thing to bear in mind is this does not just affect mothers to be, the obstetricians are also th gynaecologists so this could affect ALL women.

Action needs to be taken now, who is up for calling a public meeting and getting another NAG together?

lynne duncan
28-Jun-09, 20:20
ocd
i've spoken to Bill Fernie and he is going to check with NHS Highland,
hopefully i'm making a mountain out of a molehill

if i'm not then yes it's time to restart NAG and REMEMBER the NHS why the 3 times it was tried before failed!

cuddlepop
28-Jun-09, 20:29
ocd

if i'm not then yes it's time to restart NAG and REMEMBER the NHS why the 3 times it was tried before failed!

NHS Highland are on a mission to save money and any beds that are under occupied will close.

We might even loss Portree Hospital.Please take action because even with our MP Charles Kennedy involved theystill refused to reinstate "closed" beds.:~(

butterfly
29-Jun-09, 00:10
What's the point of having a General Hospital if everything like dental,asthmatics and now maternity has to go south?!:(

Aaldtimer
29-Jun-09, 03:40
Well said Lynne! There is definitely something going on here and we need as many people to shout about it as possible. It is too easy for people who have no connections with pregnant mothers to be unconcerned but it is something that we ALL have to fight for. I am having to go to Raigmore myself on Tues to deliver my second baby - much to my utter annoyance and despair. It just seems ludicrous that we are having to travel that distance for something that could so easily happen up here. What are the consultants getting paid for just now is what I'd like to know? I presume that they must be in on the decision making about what is deemed low risk or not! Everyone needs to fight this cause! It is going to touch each and every one of us in the very near future! Plus if they get away with downgrading and closing the Maternity Unit what's next on the agenda for Caithness General?

This may sound a bit radical. and risky, but why not just refuse to go, and demand that the bairn be born in Wick!
:confused

hotrod4
29-Jun-09, 04:36
What's the point of having a General Hospital if everything like dental,asthmatics and now maternity has to go south?!:(
That is so true,It shouldnt really be called a "General" hospital when it doesnt do "General" things.
They are too quick to send everyone to Inverness surely from a financail point of view it makes sense to keep people "local", not just from the patients point of view but the cost of sending people down by Ambulance(Not to mention the increased risk).
If we had roads like the South does with the M8 then it wouldnt be a problem as the 105 miles would be covered in no time but we all know it aint like that up here.
Maybe make those that make the decisons travel the A9 every day for a 220 mile round trip to their jobs and see if they still agree on sending everyone to Inverness![evil]

Venture
29-Jun-09, 08:45
So what happens if you have an emergency situation with Mum being taken to Inverness and you have thick pea soup fog halting all air traffic and a jack-knifed lorry at Berriedale. What do you do then? Wait for the fog to clear or the road to open. Unfortunately babies can't wait.:(

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Jun-09, 09:44
And there I was thinking the NHS system in the highlands, and Wick, is impeccable. Or was that the PR talking?

Seriously hope the maternity unit isn't 'lost'. Seems the sooner the government have us all living near the city, the better.

BINBOB
29-Jun-09, 09:48
ocd

Good on u lynne.....and good luck.;)

Westsider3
29-Jun-09, 09:50
This may sound a bit radical. and risky, but why not just refuse to go, and demand that the bairn be born in Wick!
:confused

I'd rather not take the chance! Once this baby is born though I will be there fighting the Maternity Unit's corner and NHS Highland better look out!!

charley9
29-Jun-09, 10:42
I am due in October and have been told I will have to go to Raigmore, the reason is because of my bmi, but I have already had two straight forward deliveries with no problems. My biggest problem is that I have two children and no family close by to look after them while I go off to inverness, nearest family are 500 miles away, so am I expected to travel down on my own so my husband can look after the kids or take them with me. I think it is disgusting that they are trying to close the maternity unit and can not believe this will not cause complications if not worse. It takes at least half an hour for the air ambulance to get from Aberdeen, that is assuming it has not been called out elsewhere, and that it can land, and then another half hour to get to inverness, not something I really want to be worrying about while in labour.

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Jun-09, 11:12
Perhaps if all those MPs didn't claim such excessive, unnecessary and utterly fraudulent expenses, the money could have been used to ensure the maternity unit remains.

kat300586
29-Jun-09, 11:26
i hav read all the post on this an i agree with every one.wat about the mums that r single an hav a few kids an cannot get a babysitter for a few days?some ppl cant get a sitter for that amount of time which is wat they would need to go the whole way down there.if they were to hav there babies up here then they would only need a sitter for over night, but down there they would need one for a few days.i hav 3 myself but im not going to hav anymore ever,but if i was gonna hav another one i wouldnt want to go the whole way down there.i had all mine in caithness general an they were all brilliant there.i had no problems during or after birth so i dont see why they wont let ppl hav there babies up here if they hav had no problems in the past.because this is the only hospital up here for miles i think they should be upgrading it not the other way round.wen i was down at the harbour fest on sat i must hav seen about 10 ppl that is not far of due to drop,wat if they all went bout the same time then there is no way they would be able to get them all to inverness in time.i do hope they dont close it.

sjr014
29-Jun-09, 13:43
[QUOTE=the unit will be downgraded from 9 beds to 4 beds and operate not 24 hrs a day but 9 to 5[/QUOTE]

What a pathetic service to offer to the folks of Caithness, how many mums out there laboured and delivered between those hours??? And what haapens if your in labour and haven't delivered by 5 do you get told to come back at 9 the next day?? How crazy. As has been said previously this is peoples lives that are at risk.

I deilvered my little girl in Wick and liked the unit and good job there was more than 4 beds because the ward was really busy when we were in. I agree best to find out now what is going on so we can fight this yet again!

catran
29-Jun-09, 21:15
Good show Lynne, what a disgrace, have noticed there are quite a few local births in Inverness these days. Where is it all going? Broken arms now have to go to Inverness, lordies where will it all end, Inverness?????

Reckon that's where it will all end even if you break your finger. The good old days everything happened up here, sorted arms, legs, bowels, chests and the Henderson Nursing Home must have seen loads of babies pass through all healthy without the auspices of the whatever.Matron Sutherland ran all three hospitals, Bignold, TheTown and County and the Henderson Nursing Home without much ado.The good old days or whatever. However, progress is progress and with so much suing going on well its anyone's guess what state the NHS is in. Mind you there seems to be lots of sections going on (cant spell Caescerians) all outwith office hours. So maybe Inverness wants it all to themselves like everything else.

madmissus
30-Jun-09, 22:52
Westsider I agree with absolutely everything you say. Jamie Stone MSP is right behind our cause as I pleaded with him at the meeting in the Town Hall in Thurso to do what he could when the mat unit was under threat before, and he assured me he would, he did discuss our cause in parliament, I will speak to you soon:D

lynne duncan
03-Jul-09, 11:03
So, it seems that there were perfectly reasonable answers to all the queries that were raised over the provision of the services at the maternity unit?.
It is good to know that the unit will not be further reduced in size.
So hopefully wih the numbers of patients that have been transferred to Raigmore as a result of these reviews and staff shortages this will not impact on the end of year statisics and there will be a note accordingly entered that these births should habe benn born in Caithness.

though according to the newspaper article today in the groat, issues have been raised in reviews which require further consideration and may affect service delivery in the near future?

hopefully the NHS highland will be able to reintroduce the inductions as soon as possible, travelling to Raigmore at this time of year or any time when you are overdue is not very pleasant

it would be nice to see a categoric statement from the health authority chairman

after the previous 2 tries at downgrading and the hard fought battle to retain this level of service, its no wonder that the community gets worried when there are changes to the service without any communication?

Fran
04-Jul-09, 00:04
I hope the article in the Groat to-day will put a stop to the scaremongering rumours that have alarmed many people. As I have said all along in this thread, there is no way the maternity wing is closing.

KCI
04-Jul-09, 09:31
I hope the article in the Groat to-day will put a stop to the scaremongering rumours that have alarmed many people. As I have said all along in this thread, there is no way the maternity wing is closing.

This thread wasn't started to scare anyone though, and I'm glad it was started. It was about unanswered questions, which have now been answered. If the maternity ward had been about to close, I would rather find out about it before it happened, so we had a chance to stop it.

ocd
04-Jul-09, 15:22
I think we are being a bit hasty thinking there is no risk to the unit. As stated by Sheena Craig in yesterdays JOG Journal "......issues have been identified that require further consideration and may affect service delivery in the near future"

If this doesn't sound suss I don't know what would!!

And this thread was in no way intended as scaremongering, simply to make people aware of the very real issues we as a community could soon be fighting against.

lynne duncan
04-Jul-09, 19:17
thanks to the two previous posts, i would hate to be accused of scaremongering when the folk that contacted me were really concerned, and i still am not 100% convinced that the unit is operating to the fullfilment of its remit and would hope that the health authority quickly resolve the issues that they have raised.

BINBOB
04-Jul-09, 19:21
thanks to the two previous posts, i would hate to be accused of scaremongering when the folk that contacted me were really concerned, and i still am not 100% convinced that the unit is operating to the fullfilment of its remit and would hope that the health authority quickly resolve the issues that they have raised.

Ithink u are correct in your thinking ,lynne...and u most certainly are NOTa scaremongerer.take heart and fight the good fight.;)

carzanne
04-Jul-09, 21:30
Hello everyone , we are Caithness Youth Forum and we are trying to get as many people as we can to start a petition to save our local Maternity Unit :~(. you all will be hearing alot of bad press about this ,we believe that if the Maternity Unit is closed it will cause more problems . Mother's and babies in the long run are going to be more affected , do we really want this to happen ?
We believe that todays society is all about Progression . Why let WIck slip back to stone age !
We are the future and the future needs you !

So show your support if you see a petition in your local shops please please sign it .

Thank you

Caithness Youth Forum

teenybash
04-Jul-09, 21:36
I will certainly sign.........surely they cannot do this and leave Caithness with no maternity unit................:eek:

ShelleyCowie
04-Jul-09, 21:53
I would sign it with no hesitation!

Do you know where the petitions are located?

Good luck! Hopefully this can be prevented! Its bad enough travelling 20 miles to get to a maternity unit, never mind over 100 when you are in labour! And i had to go on a bus!!

madmissus
05-Jul-09, 20:03
Congratulations to westsider on birth of a lovely baby girl, delighted to see you all and best wishes to you all xx

miss swanson
10-Jul-09, 11:47
i have recently heard that it has now shut down again has any1 else heard this??

bettedaviseyes
10-Jul-09, 11:58
why dont you phone and ask them? or why cant they put a bit in the paper explaining what there are doing instead of having people in the town wondering whats going on.

miss swanson
10-Jul-09, 12:01
mite just do that its not to handy hearing it when ur near 6 months gone its beggining to get a joke

bettedaviseyes
10-Jul-09, 12:09
a would say doll a would be right on the phone to them if a were you

caroline_glasgow
10-Jul-09, 16:12
I am 9 weeks pregnant and i have been told my babe due 12 feb will be inverness delivered!
Not too sure how i feel, just worried thought of 2 hour car journey in labour!

midwife said probably would be given a date to go down to be induced
eeeeeek

scary stuff

WickWitch
10-Jul-09, 16:14
You may be sent down in a helicopter Caroline! It is ridiculous in this day and age that the local doctor and midwife can't do it.

Westsider3
10-Jul-09, 17:43
Having just delivered in Raigmore in the last 2 weeks I can only speak really highly of the staff. I thought they were all fabulous and I certainly did not feel like 'just a number' as I thought I might. I was also worried about the journey home, especially after having a section, but it was ok for us and they made sure that I had plenty of painkillers before I left. I certainly would not be worried about delivering in Raigmore again but I am most certainly supporting our local maternity unit. If there is any need for action groups etc to be set up again, I would be willing to become involved. To downgrade our local hospital would be such a backward step and I hate to imagine what it might lead to. I think we all need to make a huge effort to support and maintain our unit as it is!!

Good Luck to all you pregnant girlies!!

fingalmacool
10-Jul-09, 18:58
When they couldn't shut it down in front of you, they do the next best thing, run it down so the unit cant cope, mothers to be get twitchy and request to go south, then they can justify shutting it down because nobody uses it, or the numbers using, doesn't justify keeping it open, absolutely no disrespect to the professionals that are still working there, just my cynical mind:confused

badger
10-Jul-09, 19:09
What a shame there aren't more midwives trained to deliver at home - so much simpler and no travelling involved. Anyone would think giving birth was an illness the way hospitals carry on these days. How many births really require hospital admission I wonder?

SKC01
12-Jul-09, 14:07
What a shame there aren't more midwives trained to deliver at home - so much simpler and no travelling involved. Anyone would think giving birth was an illness the way hospitals carry on these days. How many births really require hospital admission I wonder?

The number of home births would still be small, out of the eight in my antenatal class last year, four were referred to Inverness for varing health reasons, I has a c-section due to my little boy being in breech and another 2 had to be induced, with one resulting in a section. Only 1 out of 8 managed a natural pool birth that the majority of us had planned. I have mum friends from baby massage and the same pattern was repeated in their groups to.

It is however shameful that any mum-to-be should have to travel 2hrs (worse if you live out west) to deliver their baby in this day in age, after all where not a third world country (although sometimes i do wonder). Its not due to a lack of trained midwives, by mother see's 100's of trained midwives graduate each year, most emmigrate to Australia as there's not the jobs for them here.

In the end if nothing is done to change the situation, it will just make people question living up north in the first place. I was lucky to have my baby last year in Wick, and enjoyed the peacefullness amd lack of chaos on the ward. I had several friends who got sick of being in Inverness and transferred to Wick asap, so not everyone enjoys the raigmore experience. If an action group does arise, I will be one of the first to join and will certainly be writting the our local MP-otherwise we may move south again in the near future, as I feel this is just one of a number of noted 'cuts' in the area, along with shops closing, parks being dismantled and beaches not being cleaned.

miss swanson
12-Jul-09, 22:58
The mums to be being sent to Inverness are those who need to be induced!! They are still delivering natural births and C-sections its madness sending all these women to Inverness. I myself just had a baby 7 weeks ago and I was due to be sent to Inverness to be induced...I went into early labour but because I was overdue and already booked into Inverness for the following day, they expected my partner to drive me to Inverness IN LABOUR, thankfully I stood my ground and said I was not going as my baby was is extreme distress and if I had not gone into Wick I would never have known this and my baby probably would not have survived, I had to have an emergency section!

In my stay of 3 nights I met at least 10 different midwives and lots of other staff so there were no shortages! It doesnt make sense that they can still arrange sections here but cannot induce its crazy!

Its ok for those who are not due babys to say going to Inverness is the best thing but its a lot of stress to go through and you are away from all your family at the time you need them most! I for one will be looking to help the Maternity Unit as I would have hated to go to Inverness!

i am 1 of many a mum to be got few months yet tho but still im panikin at the thought of not knowin where all b put its very scarey especially when this is my first i hope it gets sorted as u say its a time when u need ur family am not wantin to b down in inverness on my own with my partner and my family not being able to pop in

Rie
13-Jul-09, 11:38
Have to say this is putting me off getting pregnant! Though caithness general was supposed to be getting back to "normal" and that being sent to raigmore was personal choice going by the piece a read in the paper a few months ago.
would appear that was all a load of tosh then!!
I dont relish a 2 hour journey while in labour and sure as heck wouldnt want to be induced just for the convienience of there being a bed free !
Would think the paramedics are a dab hand at emergency deliveries by now then!:confused

Fran
14-Jul-09, 00:49
Caithness maternity wing is NOT closing, and i know this for a fact, from one of the people in charge of the hospital, so please stop worrying.

BINBOB
14-Jul-09, 06:35
Caithness maternity wing is NOT closing, and i know this for a fact, from one of the people in charge of the hospital, so please stop worrying.

And u have this in writing,Fran....if so please post same here.;)

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 07:58
And u have this in writing,Fran....if so please post same here.;)

Even if Fran did post it here I dont think it would stop the rumours. :)

Is Frans word not good enough that she has to produce evidence. :confused

TRUCKER
14-Jul-09, 08:18
Frans word is good enough but people just want to see things like that in writing.~:

Venture
14-Jul-09, 08:53

I think you have left yourself wide open here Fran. People are bound to question why you should be privy to this information and yet the public are not. Anyone can make a statement but in this day and age unless it is in black and white from the powers that be, who can honestly believe it. Sometimes those who think they are "in the know" are usually the last to know. In my opinion they will say anything to keep the masses quiet and at bay.

hotrod4
14-Jul-09, 09:22
If CGH was in Inverness it would be a different kettle of fish.
When CDC became HRC thats when the proverbial hit the fan.
Decisions that effect CGH are taken by a pen pusher in Inverness who probably hasnt been north of the Ord in their life.
Our elected officials should be speaking out and reflecting the views of those that elected them.
They are quick enough to claim expenses but a wee bit slow to do their jobs.
It wouldnt surprise me if they closed the maternity wing as we are not as important as our Southern brethren.
I hope they dont as Lives would be at risk,but who are we to argue?
Inverness isnt interested in the logistics and safety they are interested in balance sheets not Cotton Sheets.[evil]

BINBOB
14-Jul-09, 14:48
Frans word is good enough but people just want to see things like that in writing.~:

Thank u.;)

Alice in Blunderland
14-Jul-09, 16:59
You can have some things written in triplicate and if things / events change so does what is written no statement is watertight.

Fran could have it written a million times over, it will not settle the nerves of some, rightly or wrongly. Many of us know what position Fran holds hence why no-one could get PMs into her in-box when this story first came to light.

She has been told this news and has passed it on we either take it or leave it asking for proof wont make a difference, this is not a court of law. :)

If anyone wants it in written proof contact the hospital and ask for it Im sure they will be happy to answer any queries. Whether you then believe the answer or not is up to you. :)

Fran
14-Jul-09, 23:45
Yes, i have it in writing and will post tomorrow evening when i get back from inverness.But, I thought you saw it in writing in the local newspaper when the head of the hospital quoted that it is not closing.

Fran
16-Jul-09, 00:38
Quote " Following an article in the Courier it was queried whether the 9 bedded maternity unit was in danger of being closed. Confirmed that this is not the case. The ward has revised its risk criteria for the delivery of babies to low risk due to unsafe staffing levels due to staff sickness. Only 6/7 mothers extra per month are being transferred to Raigmore, The risk criteria was reviewed at a meeting on 16 june."
end of quote

BINBOB
16-Jul-09, 09:22
Sorry...but that does not seem like any kind of promise of the unit staying open.:roll:

cuddlepop
16-Jul-09, 09:28
Sorry...but that does not seem like any kind of promise of the unit staying open.:roll:

BINBOB your right and with all NHS highland hospitals its being assessed as we speak for efficiency savings.

Realistically they cannot expect all mothers to travel to Inverness to have their babies.
We've been reduced to two beds on Skye so everone else has to make the two and a half hour journey to Raigmore.:(

lynne duncan
16-Jul-09, 21:52
with 6/7 mothers per month being asked (told)to travel to inverness to be delivered, over the course of a year that in my sums makes 72 to 84 mums! would make quite a dent on the numbers aspects!!

but fran it will be interesting at the next patients council (am i right that is the board which the cgh meet with) and we will wait with baited breath to see that the board will have been able to implement the changes to ensure that inductions can be restarted at cgh and that no more mothers need to travel to inverness.

and if you say so then i am glad that at the moment they have "no plans" to close the unit.

but i would love to know why they still can't do inductions here what has arisen to bring this about?

BINBOB
17-Jul-09, 13:26
I would like to direct u all to an article in today...PRESS and JOURNAL...re.

Maternity beds to be reviewed at RAIGMORE.
Very interesting and just as u said ,cuddlepop.:confused

Scunner
17-Jul-09, 13:52
Perhaps some of you mothers should become a member of the Patients Council. Its only a couple of hours every second month, well worth it.