PDA

View Full Version : verbal contract

majic
23-Jun-09, 20:11
Does anyone know if the verbal contract law applies in Scotland? please and thank you

router
23-Jun-09, 20:24
Only if the other person has gentlemanly qualities. other than that there is no contract.

maverick
23-Jun-09, 20:36
Yes the verbal contract law applies in Scotland, although it can be very difficult to prove in court.

majic
23-Jun-09, 20:37
Bum.........

Stefan
23-Jun-09, 20:45
If you have a witness then it's much easier to prove, but Scots law does recognize verbal contracts, called "handshake contract", although no handshake is actually required.

majic
23-Jun-09, 20:52
getting better:)

Chillie
23-Jun-09, 23:19
If you have a witness then it's much easier to prove, but Scots law does recognize verbal contracts, called "handshake contract", although no handshake is actually required.

I take it you took a degree in Scot's Law whilst you lived in England.[disgust]

porshiepoo
23-Jun-09, 23:37
As far as I know it, Scot's Law recognizes any agreement whereby an offer was made and the offer accepted. It does not matter if this was verbal or written although obviously the onus will be on you to prove that what you say is true and accurate. A witness could help otherwise it could be difficult to prove or for a court to come to a decision in your favour.
Get a free half hour with a solicitor (assuming you can up here) failing that speak to your local CAB and get advice.

Stefan
23-Jun-09, 23:41

Nope, but I have eyes and can read ;)

Chillie
23-Jun-09, 23:42
As far as I know it, Scot's Law recognizes any agreement whereby an offer was made and the offer accepted. It does not matter if this was verbal or written although obviously the onus will be on you to prove that what you say is true and accurate. A witness could help otherwise it could be difficult to prove or for a court to come to a decision in your favour.
Get a free half hour with a solicitor (assuming you can up here) failing that speak to your local CAB and get advice. Well,Well another Rumpole again trained south of the border.!!

Metalattakk
23-Jun-09, 23:45

Well,Well another Rumpole again trained south of the border.!!

To be honest, the burden is on you to prove them wrong. Come on then, step up to the plate - let's see what you're made of.

Put up or shut up. ;)

ywindythesecond
24-Jun-09, 00:25
Get a free half hour with a solicitor (assuming you can up here) failing that speak to your local CAB and get advice.

This is exactly my understanding from the Glasgow College of Building, First Year IQS Course, Contract, 1964. I don't think it has changed since then.