PDA

View Full Version : The Genius of the Johnstons

Mosser
23-Jun-09, 17:37
The first in a series of photographic exhibitions showcasing the Wick Society’s historic Johnston collection will open in the run-up to Harbourfest.

The foyer of Pulteneytown Parish Church will be the venue for a display of large-format images of Argyle Square and adjoining streets in years gone by. Entitled Argyle Square and Neighbourhood, it will run from Wednesday, June 24, until Saturday 27th. Wed - Fri 10am - 4pm and Saturday 10am - noon. Free entry
There will be a further Johnston exhibition that Saturday, the 27th in a marquee at Harbourfest, entitled Johnston and the Harbour – again in large format.

The St Fergus Gallery will host the third exhibition – Johnston Revisited – over a three-week period in July, from Saturday 4th to Thursday 23rd. This will also incorporate an original tripod camera. These exhibitions will be an excellent opportunity to see some wonderful examples in large format of the genius of the Johnston’s.

Prints will be available for sale in a range of sizes from A4 up to A1 at all three exhibitions, which are being organised by the Johnston section of the Wick Society

joxville
23-Jun-09, 17:51
I thought this thread was going to be about Johnston's pies. :roll: [lol]

trinkie
23-Jun-09, 18:40
The Genius of the Johnstons

I think almost every Caithness family will have a Johnston photograph or two hidden away in a drawer.
Everything from family portraits, the latest cars, fishing boats, street scenes and local characters. You name it and the Johnston Studio could produce it with great style and sensitivity. This free exhibition is a wonderful opportunity to see what Argyle Square looked like in the early years, especially for those of us who are into Family History.

Well done to whoever put the Show on the Road ! Good luck, I hope you have a good turn oot.

Moira
24-Jun-09, 21:10
The first in a series of photographic exhibitions showcasing the Wick Society’s historic Johnston collection will open in the run-up to Harbourfest.

The foyer of Pulteneytown Parish Church will be the venue for a display of large-format images of Argyle Square and adjoining streets in years gone by. Entitled Argyle Square and Neighbourhood, it will run from Wednesday, June 24, until Saturday 27th. Wed - Fri 10am - 4pm and Saturday 10am - noon. Free entry
There will be a further Johnston exhibition that Saturday, the 27th in a marquee at Harbourfest, entitled Johnston and the Harbour – again in large format.

The St Fergus Gallery will host the third exhibition – Johnston Revisited – over a three-week period in July, from Saturday 4th to Thursday 23rd. This will also incorporate an original tripod camera. These exhibitions will be an excellent opportunity to see some wonderful examples in large format of the genius of the Johnston’s.

Prints will be available for sale in a range of sizes from A4 up to A1 at all three exhibitions, which are being organised by the Johnston section of the Wick Society

Mosser, IMO the genius of the Johnstons has never been in question. Perhaps the organisers of this event should have slapped a £4 admission charge on - or, failing that, a parking charge at the various venues.

At least the debate about admission/parking charges would have kept the thread at the top of the forum. ;)

Mik.M.
24-Jun-09, 21:14
Jox you appear to have Johnston`s pies on the brain.:lol:

Moira
24-Jun-09, 21:24
<snip> " Free entry" <snip>

Oops, did I forget to mention that I think this was your biggest mistake.

joxville
24-Jun-09, 22:59
Jox you appear to have Johnston`s pies on the brain.:lol:

11 happy years working there, rather difficult to forget. :cool:

brandy
24-Jun-09, 23:19
oh wow, will def. drop in.. i love their work!
we have a few of thier pics in the house.

trinkie
25-Jun-09, 21:13
Just a thought - if anyone has an old Johnston photo they cant put a place name to, would you mind if they brought it to the exhibition for some help ? Often a photo can be identified by comparing it to another of the same genre. Even group photos could possibly be classified.

Folk often write to the Family History Group asking such questions. Sometimes by looking at the photographer’s props you can roughly date when a picture was taken, and of course, at which studio.

Good luck.

Moira
30-Jun-09, 23:34
<snip>

This is a great chance for everyone who missed the exhibitions at the Pulteneytown Parish Church and the Harbour Fest.:D

trinkie
05-Jul-09, 12:03
I wonder how the exhibition went and if anyone was able to get help with an old photo that had them puzzled for years !
Having pictures without names and dates reminds us how important it is to write all the details on the back.
Some of us will have pictures taken 100years ago and how annoying when you don’t know who or where they were taken. Those in charge of the Johnston Collection however, will be able to put a rough date to a picture – and even a place name.
I see the next exhibition is at the St Fergus Gallery, so there’s another chance to take along your “not known” pictures in the hope that some clever person will be able to help.

By the way, don’t throw out any old pictures. Offer them to the Heritage centre, and let them decide what’s to be done with them, and let us know if you’d had luck with some of your Johnston’s pictures.

Trinkie

Tighsonas4
05-Jul-09, 12:23
when the johnstons photos was first offered to the heritage centre they thought they could collect them in a couple of suitcases
much to there surprise it was more like a lorry they needed tony

Mosser
05-Jul-09, 17:22
when the johnstons photos was first offered to the heritage centre they thought they could collect them in a couple of suitcases

Some 50,000 images were saved and the Wick Society in partnership with North Highland College will be embarking on a digitisation programme shortly, this will make the collection available to a huge audience, in the mean time a visit to the exhibition in the St Fergus Gallery is a must.

Tinkerbell09
06-Jul-09, 21:56

Great minds think alike! [lol]

wifie
06-Jul-09, 22:47
Great minds think alike! [lol]

Emmm - what's that other phrase? :confused ;)

Moira
10-Jul-09, 23:48
.........I see the next exhibition is at the St Fergus Gallery, so there’s another chance to take along your “not known” pictures in the hope that some clever person will be able to help.
By the way, don’t throw out any old pictures. Offer them to the Heritage centre, and let them decide what’s to be done with them, and let us know if you’d had luck with some of your Johnston’s pictures.
Trinkie
Good advice Trinkie. I've not had the opportunity to see the Johnston Collection recently so will make a point of visiting the St Fergus Gallery over the next two weeks.

Some 50,000 images were saved and the Wick Society in partnership with North Highland College will be embarking on a digitisation programme shortly, this will make the collection available to a huge audience, in the mean time a visit to the exhibition in the St Fergus Gallery is a must.
It's good to know that a very important part of Caithness history is forever captured in photographic images.

ATHRoss
11-Jul-09, 15:44
Went to see this today. Absolutely fantastic images and the clarity of the enlarged photographs is superb. Having seen a few of these images in books, Vintage Wick etc, I was delighted to see so much more detail in the larger prints including many little gems that you just don’t notice in the smaller prints.

Well done to the Wick Society and everyone involved in staging this exhibition, a credit to you all.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

ATHRoss

Moira
19-Jul-09, 23:45
I visited this exhibition last week and found it totally amazing. I'd allowed too little time to really appreciate it.

Thankfully the end date of the Exhibition has been extended to 1st August so I'll get another chance to go back and enjoy it next week.

Anyone else been?

Kevin Milkins
19-Jul-09, 23:57
I visited this exhibition last week and found it totally amazing. I'd allowed too little time to really appreciate it.

Thankfully the end date of the Exhibition has been extended to 1st August so I'll get another chance to go back and enjoy it next week.

Anyone else been?

I also only had a fleeting chance to have a look and would like to have had more time. I had my elderly mother in law with me and she could not climb the stairs so we had to leave her in the library.

It's good to hear that it has been extended as i will enjoy more tiime to have a good look around.

Aaldtimer
20-Jul-09, 03:01
Yes, really enjoyed the visit to this. The pics of the Herring capital of the North with the harbour chock-a-block with boats were really something to behold...wouldn't want to smell the real thing though! :confused

sids
23-Jul-09, 22:44
Is this about pies?