Thankfully..............:lol:

I'll third it.

balto
23-Jun-09, 21:22
Thankfully..............:lol:
and so say all of us lol.[lol]

Mik.M.
23-Jun-09, 21:33
Caithness FM as not recommended by some orgers:lol:.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Jun-09, 22:23
mmmm okay is this the point where Alice stands up and says...........

My name is Alice and Im a Caithness Fmaholic :eek: .........I like it. :D

Rheghead
23-Jun-09, 22:46
Ah so they have one confirmed listener, DeathwarmedupFM finally enters the Digital Age by popular demand.[lol]

tiggertoo
23-Jun-09, 22:51
whats wrong with cfm, i listen to it and barbara bain is the best dj around

davem
23-Jun-09, 23:01
I spend 3 hours every week planning and playing tunes for the jazz show.
I know a good number of people who listen and either enjoy it or don't want to hurt my feelings.
It just makes my heart soar to read that the hard work and dedication of so many other people is appreciated.
I may have missed something but I was under the impression that listening was not obligatory; so if you don't like it don't listen. Whatever - why moan about it, that's the bit that I really don't get. Could posters explain why something they could easily choose to ignore demands such scorn?

Kodiak
23-Jun-09, 23:02

That is the worng question, it should be What is Right with CFM and the answer to that is NOTHING. It is the most Amatuer Station that has ever broadcast and is a Total Bore.

dirdyweeker
23-Jun-09, 23:35

Must admit I am a fan of Barbara Bain!! Love her accent. Only problem is I can only listen to it in the car as no reception at home.:D

young_fishin_neep
24-Jun-09, 01:26
well, id prefer to be able to listen to mfr during the evening than have to listen to cfm, and i dont get much choice on that if out in the car as cfm takes over automaticly, so i have to swich to radio 1, cant help but not like cfm, its a bit, well, dull!

Aaldtimer
24-Jun-09, 03:02
That is the worng question, it should be What is Right with CFM and the answer to that is NOTHING. It is the most Amatuer Station that has ever broadcast and is a Total Bore.

Well Kodiak, that is because it is presented by dedicated people who are volunteers, and amateurs, not professionals.
If you think you can do better why not volunteer yourself?[disgust]

Kodiak
24-Jun-09, 17:45
Well Kodiak, that is because it is presented by dedicated people who are volunteers, and amateurs, not professionals.
If you think you can do better why not volunteer yourself?[disgust]

That is just an excuse. Just because they are Volunteers does not mean they can not be more professional. They all speak with a drone in their voice and sound as if they just do not care.

There are plenty of Radio Stations that are operated by Volunteers and the ones I have listened to are bright and cheerful, they play a good selection of music and most important they are not boring.

If you like CFM then fine, but I do not and until they change I will listen to to a Good Station, Radio 2.

OH and to answer you, I have NEVER stated anywhere that I could do better. I know my limits and those that operate CFM should also know their limits but it seems they do not.

unicorn
24-Jun-09, 17:52
This place makes me laugh on one thread there is the I want everything free crowd who moan about paying to get into harbourfest or whatever it's called and on another they get free and moan it's not good enough :roll:

matelot79
24-Jun-09, 18:44
well, id prefer to be able to listen to mfr during the evening than have to listen to cfm, and i dont get much choice on that if out in the car as cfm takes over automaticly, so i have to swich to radio 1, cant help but not like cfm, its a bit, well, dull!

You should try 105.4 The superstation Orkney if you can get it, I listen to it now more than MFR.

weeksider
24-Jun-09, 18:54
Will Caithness FM be @ the Harbour Fest or will the local hospital Radio Remedy Station be doing a outside broadcast to all patients in the GCH ?

Stefan
24-Jun-09, 19:15

You seem to know it very well then, this cfm station, but you never listen, do you? Surely you don't because it's boring, isn't it? I wonder how you know so much about a station you would never listen to...;)

I picked it up in my motor home a few times but reception isn't good so I tuned into something else, but what I heard was interesting and certainly not professional but I take my hat off to anybody who volunteers to make somebody smile.

I will certainly tune into it again in the future. I might get a better aerial for my motor home or else I might be able to get it when I move to Halkirk in August. Probably not my kind of music for the most part but I appreciate listening to local people.

Shame I don't have time to volunteer myself, I used to be a DJ many moons ago...

Kodiak
24-Jun-09, 19:25
You seem to know it very well then, this cfm station, but you never listen, do you? Surely you don't because it's boring, isn't it? I wonder how you know so much about a station you would never listen to...;)

I picked it up in my motor home a few times but reception isn't good so I tuned into something else, but what I heard was interesting and certainly not professional but I take my hat off to anybody who volunteers to make somebody smile.

I will certainly tune into it again in the future. I might get a better aerial for my motor home or else I might be able to get it when I move to Halkirk in August. Probably not my kind of music for the most part but I appreciate listening to local people.

Shame I don't have time to volunteer myself, I used to be a DJ many moons ago...

According to your profile you live in England. If this is so then I doubt very much that you managed to tune into Caithness FM. It has Difficulty reaching all of Caithness, let alone several Hundred Miles to the Border.

Moira
24-Jun-09, 19:39
mmmm okay is this the point where Alice stands up and says...........

My name is Alice and Im a Caithness Fmaholic .........I like it.

Fear not Alice, Moira is standing alongside you - I like it too!

I spend 3 hours every week planning and playing tunes for the jazz show.
I know a good number of people who listen and either enjoy it or don't want to hurt my feelings.
It just makes my heart soar to read that the hard work and dedication of so many other people is appreciated.
I may have missed something but I was under the impression that listening was not obligatory; so if you don't like it don't listen. Whatever - why moan about it, that's the bit that I really don't get. Could posters explain why something they could easily choose to ignore demands such scorn?

You've made some good points here davem.

Although jazz is not my absolute, favourite choice of music, I have quite often enjoyed your broadcasts.

So, thank you from me to the dedicated band of volunteers who man the Caithness FM station and Heaven help anyone who dares try to come between me, my radio waves and Terry Clark on a Saturday afternoon! ;)

Stefan
24-Jun-09, 21:30
According to your profile you live in England. If this is so then I doubt very much that you managed to tune into Caithness FM. It has Difficulty reaching all of Caithness, let alone several Hundred Miles to the Border.

Motor homes have the ability to drive around mate... some even make it into Caithness :lol:

catran
24-Jun-09, 22:31
I like it too keep going it is good and if you need ny help I am free.

Boozeburglar
24-Jun-09, 23:20
JHC What is wrong with these people?
MFR is pants! CFM at least is offering something local in tone. Caithness is unique, you can't eradicate all the things that pertain to it, as much as you would like wall to wall ASDA and Tesco and whatever else. ..And please don't argue against CFM on the basis MFR is hipper or something, that is just bull on so many levels.

If you don't like it, get involved and do a show! You won't get that opportunity with MFR!

Moonboots
24-Jun-09, 23:44
Caithness FM - Enough said about it.... Move on... Ive heard it all before...

Theres a few that like it but theres a hell of alot more who dont....

Me - what can i say... it makes me laugh... some good entertainment when driving at night lol

Aaldtimer
25-Jun-09, 03:13
That is just an excuse. Just because they are Volunteers does not mean they can not be more professional. They all speak with a drone in their voice and sound as if they just do not care.

There are plenty of Radio Stations that are operated by Volunteers and the ones I have listened to are bright and cheerful, they play a good selection of music and most important they are not boring.

If you like CFM then fine, but I do not and until they change I will listen to to a Good Station, Radio 2.

OH and to answer you, I have NEVER stated anywhere that I could do better. I know my limits and those that operate CFM should also know their limits but it seems they do not.

No Kodiak, not an excuse , just a statement of fact.
Caithness FM is not in competition with any other radio station.
It is a Community Radio which tries to reflect local interests.
It has also been told by other community radios that it has the most diverse programming schedule of all in the north of Scotland.
So just how much of the schedule have you listened to Kodiak?
We're not interested in being the next Terry Wogan, just doing our own thing.
We don't want to become "Personalities", just quietly work away in the background and provide a local service.
There's no point in us trying to be another Radio2/3/4/Luxembourg....whatever, that would be absolutely pointless.
We offer what we can get through volunteers, local, or not so local, but people who are willing to step up to the plate and do the job!
Without them Caithness FM would not exist! ....maybe that's your preferred option though.
Thanks to Alice, Moira, Stefan, Catran for your support, Moonboots I'm no so sure about, but interesting!

Kenneth
25-Jun-09, 10:05
Alright Kodiak you sly dog you!

If you want, try listening to "Tunes Til Ten With Andrew and Ken" on Monday nights, between 9pm and, surprise, surprise, 10pm. Maybe you will like it maybe you won't. But this will double our figures to 2 listeners if you do tune in!

We play what I believe to be a decent wee mix in music, though it mainly indie stuff, Kooks, Killers, Kings of Leon, and other bands that dont begin with a K. In between the songs we also have incredibly witty banter! :cool:

Give it a go cull!

Kenneth
25-Jun-09, 17:53
oh well i can see the very mention of my show killed the conversation...

Well i think all the presenters and people who help out at CFM do a grand job. We play a diverse range of music and theres something for everyone out there if they just tune in at the right time.

Stefan
25-Jun-09, 18:45
I just looked up where the mast is and I should be able to tune into it next week when I'm back. My motor home is facing towards Halkirk now so hopefully I can listen to it every night...

dragonfly
25-Jun-09, 18:57
to those who say CFM is boring I take it you have never had the misfortune to pick up Keith Community Radio when travelling up and down the A9?? its that dire it makes you want to drive off the the top of Berriedale!!!

CFM may not be radio1/2/MFR but just listen to those accents coming over the airwaves - the Double D show needed subtitles for those not born and bred here! and Terry Clarke is that oldfashioned in his music choices, he makes me feel young again cos even I can't remember the songs he plays [lol]

Amy-Winehouse
25-Jun-09, 22:17
Och theres nout wrong way caithness fm i quite like it 2 :D

Dynamic Sounds
26-Jun-09, 12:04
As a CFM person, I like to see that, in this thread, we have a 50/50 split of people who like it/don't.

From the amount of emails, phone calls, texts etc we get each week, we must be doing something right! I'll admit there are times I listen to other stations at night, but I don't like all types of music, so why would I listen to a genre show that I don't like, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

As regarding the original question of CFM on the internet, this was covered about 18 months ago in another thread.
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=306535&postcount=11 you will see the responce I did back then. The rules are changing, but the cost is still quite alot.

rfr10
26-Jun-09, 13:34
I'm sure Caithness FM would love to have some new people join them if other people think it is easy to be a radio DJ/ presenter. I'll admit I don't listen to Caithness FM much but that's because the majority of it isn't aimed at people my age. On the other hand, I do know many "older" people who listen to the station and I would think this is who the target audience is. Giving the number of things I seem to complain about here, since Caithness FM isn't one of them - they surley must be doing something right...

Dynamic Sounds
26-Jun-09, 15:57
Thanks for that RFR. I, and all the other CFM people, do appreicate all feedback, positive or negaitve. I should have said earlier that I took out of like/dislike stakes all people who I know work/have connections with CFM, but in this thread it is 10 FOR, 7 AGAINST. More than 50% aint bad in my opinion!

For information, CFM will be at the Harbourfest in Wick tomorrow, and will be broadcasting live from the County Show on the 18th of July (if I can get the hamster to run fast enough in the wheel attached to the dynamo...)

tootler
26-Jun-09, 18:15
Dave's jazz show on a Wednesday night isn't just good - it is the best! :D
There's no other radio channel where I can hear such a brilliant mix of jazz & swing for two hours of an evening - it's better than the Radio Scotland Jazz show and much, much better than the Radio 3 jazz shows that I also sometimes tune into.

Dave's a man of few words & lets the music speak, but he really does know his stuff & picks the tracks that people like to hear. He bends over backwards to meet requests for dedications. When he messes up, as volunteer amateur DJs sometimes do, his listeners smile with him & instantly forgive him because he chooses the best tracks and delivers them with pure enjoyment.

Now as for MFR - don't even get me started! I'd choose to listen to Caithness FM over MFR any day (or night) of the week - at least Caithness FM presenters are true amateurs - they love what they do & we love them for that.