PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on holidaying/driving in France??

valleyman
22-Jun-09, 21:12
Off to France with the family this Summer...starting to have panic attacks of driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Any tips from seasoned travellers? Any nightmares to avoid? Even my 7yr old lassie had a nightmare of sinking on the ferry and Daddy crashing....great confidence in Dad!!!
oh well bon vacances ???

alex
22-Jun-09, 21:20
Driving on the wrong side is a brain switch problem. Essentially remember to adjust your mirrors, particularly the drivers mirror to keep a kerb view in towns. Also watch your speed and look at the little numbers fo Km/h.
Oh and tell the family that you are going to be bad tempered and more quiet than usual as you get used to it...
Good luck :D

George Brims
22-Jun-09, 21:55
I think they may have done away with it, but they used to have a thing called "priorite a droit" - priority to the right. This meant that even though you were on a big road, a driver entering it from minor road on the right would have right of way. Non-French drivers used to get a big scare when the car they expected to wait until they passed came out in front of them. However, if you have mastered driving in Caithness, you will be used to this by now!

Ooops - upon Googling I find it has NOT gone away. See this useful site.

http://www.france4families.com/DrivingInFrance/RulesoftheRoad.htm

alex
22-Jun-09, 22:02
Oh yeah - that's true - the person entering a roundabout has right of way... madness!

Kevin Milkins
22-Jun-09, 22:31
Off to France with the family this Summer...starting to have panic attacks of driving on the "wrong side" of the road. Any tips from seasoned travellers? Any nightmares to avoid? Even my 7yr old lassie had a nightmare of sinking on the ferry and Daddy crashing....great confidence in Dad!!!
oh well bon vacances ???

You will be wondering what you were worried about after a few miles.

There are a few things regarding the requirments for your car before you go that you will want to clue yourself up on though.IE light deflector's so your beam is shining the right way, a spare set of bulbs, Triangle etc.

I found that after a while it became second nature untill you had been driving on a quiet road for a while and it's easy to revert back to thinking UK, untill you see a car coming the opposite way on the wrong side.:eek:
Bon Voyage

Alice in Blunderland
22-Jun-09, 23:41
oh well bon vacances ???

No problem to a man of your intelligence and charm.;)

Pack the kids full of drugs before you drive. Give the wife a bottle of wine and a girly mag, turn the sat nav on and away you go.:Razz

Oh and dont forget Alices postcard you know where to send it.....:lol:

trinkie
23-Jun-09, 15:58
Public Toilets are few and far between - you are lucky to find one.

Sunglasses and hats are a Must.

Have a great holiday, I'm sure you will love it.

Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
23-Jun-09, 18:17
I have been to Lidl today and they have got high vis vests and warning triangles on offer and the triangle folds down small so don't take up room.

Bazeye
23-Jun-09, 19:27
Is it illegal to have the Union flag on your number plate, do you have to have the EU symbol instead? Dont drive myself but might be worth checking up on.