PDA

View Full Version : paypal scam?????

Ojibwa
15-Mar-06, 23:01
I jusr received an email from someone I sold something to on ebay saying that if I paid £3 into the paypal account of the first person on the list and then forwarded this email to about 40 people, I would start receiving money into my account in about 30 days. I'm pretty sure this must be a scam of some sort, does anyone know anything about this or received it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Buttercup
15-Mar-06, 23:05
I received this about 3-4 weeks ago and it seems quite logical. £3 isn't a lot to risk BUT if you pass it on your liable to be sending spam.

newpark
15-Mar-06, 23:05
I don't know anything about this but it sounds like those chain letters you used to get.

That if you send the letter to the named person blah blah you will recive postcards from 50 people.

I did it a few times when I was young and never recieved anything so probably best to steer clear.

2little2late
15-Mar-06, 23:06
This is definately a scam. Paypal NEVER send emails to this effect. You should also be able to forward this email to paypal to let them know of the scam.

Please, please do not take any further action other than reporting it to paypal.

Buttercup
15-Mar-06, 23:10
The email doesn't come from Paypal but from someone you've traded with on eBay for example.

knightofeth
15-Mar-06, 23:14
Sounds like a pyramid scheme through paypal to me.

fred
15-Mar-06, 23:16
I jusr received an email from someone I sold something to on ebay saying that if I paid £3 into the paypal account of the first person on the list and then forwarded this email to about 40 people, I would start receiving money into my account in about 30 days. I'm pretty sure this must be a scam of some sort, does anyone know anything about this or received it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes it's a scam and it is illegal.

For just 5 cycles over 100 million people would have to have been emailed, your name would never reach the top of the list.

2little2late
15-Mar-06, 23:17
Still wouldn't get involved with this. Still seems like a scam to me. Do paypal know what's going on? Try it at your peril.

Billy Boy
15-Mar-06, 23:17
I have recieved quite a few of these and they are actually illegal and if you get reported to paypal your paypal account can be suspended.
there was a notice on the ebay message board about this a short while back

DW
16-Mar-06, 00:41
Two dictums always worth thinking about

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Nuff said[lol]

robynaus
16-Mar-06, 05:17
These thing are illegal here too, (in Australia). Last one I got wanted me to pay for items I had never bought, and regularly get ones asking me to update my banking info. Advice here is don't open and definately don't reply!!!!regards robyn

Countryman
16-Mar-06, 09:42
It is not only PalPay but other banks that are being targeted such as Halifas and Barclays - never pass your details on to any requests from these emails - NO BANK will ever ask you to confirm account details by email.