PDA

View Full Version : Reiss Beach

shamrock2007
21-Jun-09, 21:34
Took the kids out to Reiss Beach this morning, used to be one of my favourite places to go but not anymore. Can't believe the state its in. Nothing but dogs dirt everywhere, disgusting. How are you supposed to let your kids walk about bare footed in that dirt! :mad: When we were their a woman walking 3 dogs (only 1 on a lead) watched one of her dogs do its business then just kept going, nice one! NOT!!!! :mad: I'm a dog owner but would never let my dog make a mess like that. If your not going to pick it up leave the dog at home.......

Alan16
22-Jun-09, 03:39
Took the kids out to Reiss Beach this morning, used to be one of my favourite places to go but not anymore. Can't believe the state its in. Nothing but dogs dirt everywhere, disgusting. How are you supposed to let your kids walk about bare footed in that dirt! :mad: When we were their a woman walking 3 dogs (only 1 on a lead) watched one of her dogs do its business then just kept going, nice one! NOT!!!! :mad: I'm a dog owner but would never let my dog make a mess like that. If your not going to pick it up leave the dog at home.......

From memory, I don't remember seeing any "Pick Up After Your Dog" signs at the beach, so unless I am mistaken, people don't actually have to. And also, the comment about leads - luckily there is no rule about that, because people should be allowed to let there dogs off the lead. What is more annoying than dogs making a mess all over the place, are the old women who come up to me and tell me "To get my dog on a lead" - I do not. Your just going to have to live with the dog mess, and if I'm honest, Reiss beach is not exactly top of my list for places to wander around shoeless...

Metalattakk
22-Jun-09, 05:05
From memory, I don't remember seeing any "Pick Up After Your Dog" signs at the beach, so unless I am mistaken, people don't actually have to.

Ah right, so it doesn't count if there isn't a sign.[evil]

Any responsible dog-owner would pick it up. Without question.

And also, the comment about leads - luckily there is no rule about that, because people should be allowed to let there dogs off the lead.

With one proviso - as long as they can absolutely control the dog while it's off its lead. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before there's trouble.

What is more annoying than dogs making a mess all over the place, are the old women who come up to me and tell me "To get my dog on a lead" - I do not.

You're joking, right? I'm aghast at your comments, and your attitude.

Your just going to have to live with the dog mess, and if I'm honest, Reiss beach is not exactly top of my list for places to wander around shoeless...

I get the distinct feeling that you're one of those who lets their dog(s) foul that very beach. I'm rather disgusted.

brandy
22-Jun-09, 08:28
ive never really noticed a lot of dog dirt at the beach and we often go out their with the kids and the dog. always take bags with uss and pick up after her. theres a bin in the car park for disposing of it. she is only on lead as we go to and from the beach, and loose on the beach. its cruel to take her to the beach and keep her on lead, she loves to swim and will chace all the stones into the sea you can throw. if we see anyone coming we will call her back. just so that we dont make any one uncomfy.. but bubbles usually always walks off lead with the proviso that i have the lead and will put her back on it when shes needing.

Rheghead
22-Jun-09, 10:16
From memory, I don't remember seeing any "Pick Up After Your Dog" signs at the beach, so unless I am mistaken, people don't actually have to.

Reiss beach is a public place, it is illegal (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2003/asp_20030012_en_1#l1g2) to let your dog foul on it and not clear it up.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2003/asp_20030012_en_1#l1g2

lelebo
22-Jun-09, 10:32
To be honest, I'd have thought that anywhere your dog does it's business, you'd pick it up. Common good sense surely?

achingale
22-Jun-09, 11:36
All responsible dog owners will pick it up where people walk. There is nothing worse than getting it on your shoe.

sjr014
22-Jun-09, 11:57
the comment about leads - luckily there is no rule about that, because people should be allowed to let there dogs off the lead. What is more annoying than dogs making a mess all over the place, are the old women who come up to me and tell me "To get my dog on a lead" - I do not.

I was bitten by a dog almost 2 years ago by a dog who was out a walk with owner and had been let off the lead. This dog was supposedly friendly and was deemed safe to be off the lead! Well my arm will tell you different. You just never know how an animal will react and it is irresponsible of you to think so! Personally i think your attitude stinks how would you feel if your dog was to bite or maim some innocent child??? But by your previous post i doubt you'd be bothered. Some people should not be left in charge of animals!

Now on the topic of dogs not on a lead last week while at the Riverside park some young guy was there with his dog one of those pitbull/staffys and guess what not on a lead at a childrens play park????? And he was throwing a ball for it near us and he was quite some distance away? Needless to say we left the park wasn't going to take any chances.

changilass
22-Jun-09, 12:34
Would anyone who is against dogs being loose on beaches care to suggest where we could take our dogs and let them loose for a wee run.

Dogs need a bitty freedom and I would welcome any suggestions as to where we can go without upsetting folks.

Dog owners have to be responsible for their pets, that includes giveing them exercise and also what goes in and out of their system.

ett23
22-Jun-09, 12:57
I have no problem about dogs being off their leads on walks as long as when someone asks you to put the dog back on you do so - for whatever reason. I have a friend whose daughter is terrified of dogs so she insists dog owners put them on the lead when walking past - no matter how trustworthy the dogs are, she has a fit if the dog so much as looks at her!! Also as a horse rider I'd expect a dog owner to put their dog back on the lead as we ride past. It's common courtesy and common sense - many horses are scared of dogs and will rear up or kick out if the dog comes too close. So for the safety of all involved it's best to put a dog back on the lead in those instances.

brandy
22-Jun-09, 13:23
i do agree that a dog should always be put back onto lead when ever you come across someone who is uncomfy around dogs. i would never let bubbles off lead around horses or farm animals.. knowing that stupid dog she would try to ride the horse!
sam has a friend who is terrified of dogs... and when ever he comes over if they are inside, bubbles goes outside and when they are outside bubs comes in.
yes, i know hes in her home... but he is a small boy who was attacked by a staffie and now has a horrible fear of all dogs. so we just remove bubbles from where they are playing.
and problem is solved.
we also tend to put bubs back on lead when we come across another dog walker as you never know how two strange dogs will react to one another.
so its just common sence more or less... dogs needs loads of exercise that they can not get walking at our (exspecially my) pace and def. need off lead.. you just have to be sensible and not think that everyone should see your dog the same way you do, always pick up after your dog.. and have a lead ready and handy when needed.

rfr10
22-Jun-09, 14:39
From memory, I don't remember seeing any "Pick Up After Your Dog" signs at the beach, so unless I am mistaken, people don't actually have to. And also, the comment about leads - luckily there is no rule about that, because people should be allowed to let there dogs off the lead. What is more annoying than dogs making a mess all over the place, are the old women who come up to me and tell me "To get my dog on a lead" - I do not. Your just going to have to live with the dog mess, and if I'm honest, Reiss beach is not exactly top of my list for places to wander around shoeless...

If we had to signpost everything that is against the law, there would be a heck of a lot of signs about!

Most people should be responsible enough to put their dog on a lead, especially if there are children about. Fair enough if there is a big open space.

Anyway, I notice there are flourescent signs at the riverside in Wick which state that the area is under surveillance for the Dog Fouling Act and guess what is right next to the sign? A big dollop of... yes...

shamrock2007
22-Jun-09, 16:25
I have nothing against dogs off the lead but the 2 yesterday were acting rather aggressive, my kids were hiding behind me scared. I've got a dog myself. Just makes me mad when people don't pick up their dogs mess, you get the bags for free from the service point. Cheers for the comments

wndyndy
22-Jun-09, 22:26
ive never really noticed a lot of dog dirt at the beach and we often go out their with the kids and the dog. always take bags with uss and pick up after her. theres a bin in the car park for disposing of it. she is only on lead as we go to and from the beach, and loose on the beach. its cruel to take her to the beach and keep her on lead, she loves to swim and will chace all the stones into the sea you can throw. if we see anyone coming we will call her back. just so that we dont make any one uncomfy.. but bubbles usually always walks off lead with the proviso that i have the lead and will put her back on it when shes needing.
you are a very good dog owner. i have been on the reiss beach so many times, and i stop going now, just because the dog dirt is everywhere on the beach. i think all the dog owners should be responsible to clean up no matter there is "pick up after your dog" or not.

router
23-Jun-09, 00:03
But most of it would be washed away in the tide, would it not.

mop top
23-Jun-09, 11:29
Why does everyone who sees owners who are allowing their dog to foul and not picking up, either tackle them personally or if they would prefer not to, pass the information onto the council dog warden, description of dog walker, type of dogs they were walking. time of day and place offence happened, also car registration is particuliarly handy as this can be traced allowing dog warden to visit culprit. Dog fouling is an offence in any public open space and should not be tolerated. Dont protect the culprits they dont deserve it. Contact 01955 607737 and report them!

scorrie
23-Jun-09, 14:36
But most of it would be washed away in the tide, would it not.

It is a little known fact that the planet's tides are controlled by the amount and location of dog turds on beaches. One day the tide may come in to a certain distance, but if Rover has a cack some thirty metres further up the beach the tide will come in far enough to "collect" the jobbie and prevent little Johnnie from mistaking it for a Twix later in the day.

It is a great system but there is a down side. Cod and other fish are partial to pooch poop and you should bear that in mind the next time you are enjoying your Cod in "butter" sauce.

brandy
23-Jun-09, 15:32
ewwww... just had a visual! *laughs* you are what you eat comes to mind!

Kevin Milkins
23-Jun-09, 15:46
Cancel the fish supper Mr's M!! :eek: I think it's just the right weather for a BBQ.:lol:

George Brims
23-Jun-09, 18:53
All responsible dog owners will pick it up where people walk. There is nothing worse than getting it on your shoe.

Aye there is. There's getting it on your bare feet.

domino
04-Jul-09, 20:46
There seems to be a lot of people out there who do not have an ounce of common sense or any civic pride

Tristan
04-Jul-09, 21:38
A responsible dog owner would pick up.
As for being on the lead, there is/was a sign because of the nesting birds. Same that some numpties don't see the need to keep what Caithness has in the best way that it can.

shazzy
04-Jul-09, 22:53
perhaps if more poopy bins were put at carparks/pathways to the beach,it might encourage people to pick it up,not that any responsible dog owner with an ounce of conscience or responsibility should need encouragement,should be done as matter of course of being a dog owner!!:mad:

sintra307
05-Jul-09, 00:00
when i first came to wick it was too wet and windy to venture on the beach with my doggie so i went for a walk down by the river and just by the sign warning about dog fouling at the corner by somerfields car park youve guessed it ...large amount and almost steaming...and it were not much better in the rest of the park.........never went there again....reiss beach on the other hand is lovely and clean ive never seen any poop..but if it really has got that bad id better go down the other end to keiss....could the person who lets their dog poop outside my house please stop it....i might just poop on your doorstep myself...

butterfly
05-Jul-09, 02:25
Even if there's no poop bins,just pick it up n take it home to your own.

northener
05-Jul-09, 12:33
perhaps if more poopy bins were put at carparks/pathways to the beach,it might encourage people to pick it up,not that any responsible dog owner with an ounce of conscience or responsibility should need encouragement,should be done as matter of course of being a dog owner!!:mad:

Won't work, Shazzy.

You can lead a dog owner to a poop bin, but you cannot.....

daviddd
05-Jul-09, 13:32
Thurso and Dunnet are European Bathing Beaches that are regularly and stringently tested for microbiological organisms like E Coli, of which there are millions in even a wee dogs' product. Whilst Scotland is spending shedloads of cash (which most of us pay for through water and sewerage charges) to prevent sewage works discharges from polluting the rivers and sea, so that human sewage is made safe, these irresponsible owners short-circuit that process. Any bathing waters sample failures will be widely publicised, which is bad publicity for the area when we are trying to attract more visitors and income.

mumof2
08-Jul-09, 12:25
oh it's not exactly rocket science is it? ur dog poops u pick it up... easy peasy. i reularly go out to reiss beach with kids hubby and our 2 dogs i haven't really noticed much poop. we were all running about in bare feet and i'm glad to report none of us stood in anything poopy. regarding the lead issue our 2 stay on lead until we're on the sand and can see how many people are about we then let them off if it's quiet and we enjoy our walk. if there are other dogs we put them on lead, i agree dogs need a decent run and as long as ur responsible they can.

rich
08-Jul-09, 14:54
The best - the only!- reason for taking a dog to the beach is so that it can swim in the ocean. If your dog is not a swimmer then forget about it.

However, if you must breach all the poop and scoop bylaws then take the dog when the tide is out. The incoming tide will flush the nasty stuff away.

Come to think of it, a large enough wave would also sweep away irresponsible owners of dogs. So I shall be praying for a Caithness Tsunami.

Now about cats....?

bluechesse
13-Jul-09, 23:40
I walk my dog on the beach regularly, and always, always pick up her doings. To be perfectly honest, it's very rare that I've encountered dog poop on the beach. It's every dog owners responsibility to ensure that they pick up after their animal, not leave it "for the tide to wash out".

Out of interest, how does this apply to horses?

I saw a post from "ett23" earlier in the thread saying that all dog owners should put their dogs on leads as it may frighten her horse. Well, do you carry a black bin liner with you, dismount, and pick up your horses rather sizeable pile of poop every time it releives it's self in a public place? I realise that in general horse jobbies are a much smaller problem (well, not actually size wise....) but thats generally because there are fewer people out riding horses than there are people walking dogs. I've seen many, many people picking up their dog's droppings, but I have yet to see ANYONE stopping to pick up after their horse.

Incidentally, if your horse is so easily spooked, do you think it's particularly safe to be riding it in a public place like Reiss beach in the first place?

Not that I have anything against horses in the first place, my girlfriends step mother rides regularly. Just sometimes annoys me that horse riders feel they have a god given right to go anywhere and that everyone else should go out of their way to accomodate them.

In summary, horse poop = big problem too!

Aaldtimer
14-Jul-09, 03:01
I walk my dog on the beach regularly, and always, always pick up her doings. To be perfectly honest, it's very rare that I've encountered dog poop on the beach. It's every dog owners responsibility to ensure that they pick up after their animal, not leave it "for the tide to wash out".

I saw a post from "ett23" earlier in the thread saying that all dog owners should put their dogs on leads as it may frighten her horse. Well, do you carry a black bin liner with you, dismount, and pick up your horses rather sizeable pile of poop every time it releives it's self in a public place? I realise that in general horse jobbies are a much smaller problem (well, not actually size wise....) but thats generally because there are fewer people out riding horses than there are people walking dogs. I've seen many, many people picking up their dog's droppings, but I have yet to see ANYONE stopping to pick up after their horse.

Incidentally, if your horse is so easily spooked, do you think it's particularly safe to be riding it in a public place like Reiss beach in the first place?

Not that I have anything against horses in the first place, my girlfriends step mother rides regularly. Just sometimes annoys me that horse riders feel they have a god given right to go anywhere and that everyone else should go out of their way to accomodate them.

First of all Bluechesse, welcome to the Org.
Secondly, I think you'll find that horse droppings do not contain the same dangerous ingredients that doggie-doos do.
And they're good for roses apparently! :)

bluechesse
14-Jul-09, 22:19
I'm sure it's great for making your roses grow. Not so sure it will have the same effect on a wee bairny's feet tho! Thanks for the welcome ault timer!

Alan16
24-Jul-09, 19:20
Obviously I'm not My Popular on this thread. However I have only point to make. I saw a sign at Staxigoe Harbour which read: This is a children's play area, please pick up after your dogs. The thought I had when I read this was are you bloody insane?! The harbour is not a children's play area, and if you let your children run around down there then you have more things to worry about than them standing in dog crap. Like the cliffs... Or the 20 foot drop with no barriers...

Kevin Milkins
24-Jul-09, 20:00
Obviously I'm not My Popular on this thread. However I have only point to make. I saw a sign at Staxigoe Harbour which read: This is a children's play area, please pick up after your dogs. The thought I had when I read this was are you bloody insane?! The harbour is not a children's play area, and if you let your children run around down there then you have more things to worry about than them standing in dog crap. Like the cliffs... Or the 20 foot drop with no barriers...

I went for a drive down to Staxigoe harbour a couple of days ago and parked just next to the hand written sign you speak of.

We sat in the car for a while and admired the well kept and idilic setting for a picnic and how nice to see the children playing in one of the most charming village settings you can imagine.

It did not look in anyway dangerous to me and you can't wrap kids up in cotton wool.

Alan16
24-Jul-09, 20:09
I went for a drive down to Staxigoe harbour a couple of days ago and parked just next to the hand written sign you speak of.

We sat in the car for a while and admired the well kept and idilic setting for a picnic and how nice to see the children playing in one of the most charming village settings you can imagine.

It did not look in anyway dangerous to me and you can't wrap kids up in cotton wool.

It did not look dangerous to you? The 20 foot drop where there is no barrier, the fact that you can get down to the sharp rocks feet from the see? I'm not suggesting you stop children from having fun, but in comparison to these things, a bit of dog crap is not really all that bad.

butterfly
24-Jul-09, 20:19
My children played down at and around Staxigoe harbour and never came to any grief nor did anyone else's children when i lived there.

Alan16
27-Jul-09, 03:54
My children played down at and around Staxigoe harbour and never came to any grief nor did anyone else's children when i lived there.

So you think it is safe? Are you seriously telling me that you think large drops, some into deep water, are safe for children to play around?

Mrs Bucket
27-Jul-09, 08:43

I agree with you. Horse riders think they have the rights to the highway. I think they should have to pay some sort of fee to use the roads after all it is a form of transport. They should have saddle bags for the poo as well not only on the roads but beaches or any other plave that dog owners are responsible for picking up it sometimes takes over the width of the path and attracts flies.

ett23
06-Aug-09, 23:14

I've been wondering about this myself and have finally found a link to some interesting information for horse riders proving we have no obligation to pick up after our horses in public areas. But it is courteous to kick it out of the way or to the side of the path if possible.

http://www.meag.org.uk/docs/dung%20guidance.pdf

Enjoy!:D

Thumper
07-Aug-09, 08:17
Its not just poop thats the problem on Reiss beach,I was there the other day for the first time in years and there were scrambler motorbikes all over the place!Surely they shouldnt be allowed on the beach with these things?Not only will it terrify wildlife but theres also the fact that when kids are running around playing and theres bikes everywhere its just an accident waiting to happen!x

Kirdon
09-Aug-09, 09:15
Surely the beach is for everyone to use, dog walkers, horse riders, bairns, adults and motorbike riders as no-one has exclusive use of it as long as everyone uses a bit of common sense. No group of people are perfect as you can pick fault with all of them (and on the org usually do!!!). It is not the group that is the problem it is just some individuals in each group or maybe in all of them.

Thumper
09-Aug-09, 14:58
Yes the beach is for all to use,but not to abuse!Motorbikes simply should not be on the beach at any time,they cause harm to plantation and animals.Dog walkers are fine when they pick up after their dogs(all dog owners should do this or not have a dog),horses are fine too,children and adults should have somewhere there is plenty of space to run around and enjoy it,without worrying about standing in poop or being hit by a bike x

Gene Hunt
09-Aug-09, 15:21
Yes the beach is for all to use,but not to abuse!Motorbikes simply should not be on the beach at any time,they cause harm to plantation and animals.Dog walkers are fine when they pick up after their dogs(all dog owners should do this or not have a dog),horses are fine too,children and adults should have somewhere there is plenty of space to run around and enjoy it,without worrying about standing in poop or being hit by a bike x

I was at Reiss beach when I was up and it was a nice beach no doubt but if it is open to everyone then all users should be tolerant of each other. In my holiday experience the most annoying people on the beach are the pretentious mothers acting like everyone else has to make way for their, in the main, highly irritating little offspring who, like their mothers, think they own the place.

Thumper
09-Aug-09, 15:37
Ah well Gene I am a mother,a dog walker and (sometimes) and adult ;) I wouldnt however expect anyone to "makeway" for my irritating offspring but I would expect the beach to be clear of motorbikes.Other beaches in the county dont allow bikes and there is a sign at Reiss stating they cannot use bikes above the high tide mark but on the day I was there the bikes didnt keep to those rules.Maybe I am in the minority but I simply dont agree with bikes on a beach,my kids have a quad and wouldnt be allowed to use it on a beach-my opinion is that yes they are fun but they are dangerous and shouldnt be used in a public area(although TBH if I had my way they wouldnt have one full stop but their dad bought it and takes them when he has them for weekends) But hey ho we dont live in a perfect world so I guess its just one of those things we have to put up with x

Gene Hunt
09-Aug-09, 15:55
Ah well Gene I am a mother,a dog walker and (sometimes) and adult ;) I wouldnt however expect anyone to "makeway" for my irritating offspring but I would expect the beach to be clear of motorbikes.Other beaches in the county dont allow bikes and there is a sign at Reiss stating they cannot use bikes above the high tide mark but on the day I was there the bikes didnt keep to those rules.Maybe I am in the minority but I simply dont agree with bikes on a beach,my kids have a quad and wouldnt be allowed to use it on a beach-my opinion is that yes they are fun but they are dangerous and shouldnt be used in a public area(although TBH if I had my way they wouldnt have one full stop but their dad bought it and takes them when he has them for weekends) But hey ho we dont live in a perfect world so I guess its just one of those things we have to put up with x

Thats why I said all users should be tolerant of each other. A bit of give and take goes a long way. Didnt really notice the signs on the beach when I was there as I was too busy admiring the view to be honest. I am not saying that you personally expect people to make way just that the place is obviously used by a lot of people for various reasons and one shouldnt necessarily take priority above the other.

Your lucky though to have it on your doorstep, tis a beautiful spot.

bluechesse
09-Aug-09, 17:43

I fail to see why it should be ok to ride a horse on the beach but not a motorbike. At least a motorbike does what it's told and doesn't have a mind of it's own! As long as everyone treats all other beach users with a bit of respect anyone should be able to use the beach.:cool:

BRIE
10-Aug-09, 11:46

I think your missing the point a little Alan16. Picking up you dogs mess isnt just to stop people standing in it! Its all about hygiene...
Quote..Dogs should be discouraged from pooping where kids play, as roundworms are dangerous especially to children. Roundworm eggs can lie dormant in a sandbox for years. Once they enter the child host, they can migrate to the child's liver, lungs eyes or brain and become permanently encysted.
Imagine if your child was permanently blinded from just building sandcastles on the beach all due to some ignorant dog owner who couldnt be bothered to pick up after their dog :eek:

Kirdon
10-Aug-09, 20:54
I fail to see why it should be ok to ride a horse on the beach but not a motorbike. At least a motorbike does what it's told and doesn't have a mind of it's own! As long as everyone treats all other beach users with a bit of respect anyone should be able to use the beach.:cool:

Totally agree, was at Reiss the other day and there was some motorbikes on the beach but they stayed way up at the Wester river end and at no time did they appear to bother any other beach user. I picked up after my dog, and kept the kids under control, didn't have a horse but everybody was having a good day.

Miss Mack
15-Aug-09, 17:30
Even if there's no poop bins,just pick it up n take it home to your own.
Don't do what I did and forget it was in the boot !!! Your car won't smell very fresh in the morning.:roll:

reddevil
15-Aug-09, 20:57
thats the best suggestion ive heard so far,i go to the beach most evenings,i see dog walkers but with poo bags,but if i seen a illegal pooing i will say something,and i have a note of that number thanks.
Why does everyone who sees owners who are allowing their dog to foul and not picking up, either tackle them personally or if they would prefer not to, pass the information onto the council dog warden, description of dog walker, type of dogs they were walking. time of day and place offence happened, also car registration is particuliarly handy as this can be traced allowing dog warden to visit culprit. Dog fouling is an offence in any public open space and should not be tolerated. Dont protect the culprits they dont deserve it. Contact 01955 607737 and report them!

telfordstar
16-Aug-09, 10:34

What a heap of crap. So am guessing that your quite happy to trod in the vile smelly crap that is dogs mess and not be bothered about it. I hope not all dog owners have the crap attitude you have.

"No pick up after your dog sign" what utter rubbish [evil]