PDA

View Full Version : Too interested in sheep.

cuddlepop
21-Jun-09, 15:39
Scorrie came from a working dog background so I presume his "obsession" with sheep is inherited but we dont work him.

Its imposible to distract him or " command" him to stop barking his head off when he sees sheep just now.He's so exited when he sees them that short of blindfolding him till we get him out for his walk,he's in hyperdrive.:(

Any suggestions?

ShelleyCowie
21-Jun-09, 16:17
Dogs just like sheep! lol

But maybe if you are making a big hype about him seeing sheep he will wonder what there is too see. He can see you reacting to them, so he will maybe continue to do the same.

Dunno. Thats what i think lol

S&LHEN
21-Jun-09, 16:24
No you ll never get the intrest out of him seeing as he was a working dog as its in there blood im talking from experience.
He wont understand why your not wanting him to round them up etc theres nothing you can do about this really except put up with it and hopefully he ll give up trying :roll:

Stefan
21-Jun-09, 16:42
It's like trying to tell a terrier not to dig or a dalmatian not to run, a rottweiler not to guard and pointer not to point....
These dogs are bred for certain jobs and it's their instinct to do so. It's cruel to tell them otherwise and expect them to manage.

The only reasonable thing you can do is keep him as far away from sheep as possible. Short of being able to use his instincts he might extend his herding abilities to children and other dogs, so keep an eye on that. Sheepdogs herd by rounding up and nipping heels... very uncomfortable when a frustrated sheepdog tries to herd humans !

cuddlepop
21-Jun-09, 17:03
In my experience other collies I've had have "grown" out of it.
Maybe with him being a Beardie/border collie he's got a double dose of " I want to chase..":roll:

He needs loads of exercise so I guess until we can get him to do exactly as he's told its the forest or the beach for a walk.
Scorries just over a year old so I know he's stll got loads of puppy in him.

Someone suggested a zappy coller but after Brandy carry on with hers think thats a no no.:(

majic
21-Jun-09, 17:10
I have two collies i think they must be the only two that are scared of sheep and one of them is scared of a cat also are very lazy.

cuddlepop
21-Jun-09, 17:12
I have two collies i think they must be the only two that are scared of sheep and one of them is scared of a cat also are very lazy.

When we picked Scorrie up from Kathy at Waten our other collie was frightened of her pigs as to Scorrie he's a afraid of "nothing".:lol:

majic
21-Jun-09, 17:36
Maybe Scorrie is just being a pup. Someone told me once that if a dog gets in a stand of with a sheep and the sheep wins they are no longer any good for there job i dont know if that true.

teenybash
21-Jun-09, 22:28
Maybe Scorrie is just being a pup. Someone told me once that if a dog gets in a stand of with a sheep and the sheep wins they are no longer any good for there job i dont know if that true.

That is true...I have sheep who have no respect for dogs and will challenge. When I had my beardie, he was dunted and bowled over a couple of times and never looked at sheep after that..............;)

cuddlepop
22-Jun-09, 09:31
That is true...I have sheep who have no respect for dogs and will challenge. When I had my beardie, he was dunted and bowled over a couple of times and never looked at sheep after that..............;)

So what we ned to find is a trusting friend who let Scorrie "round up " his bad tempered ewe.....can I sell tickets?:lol:

teenybash
22-Jun-09, 11:54
So what we ned to find is a trusting friend who let Scorrie "round up " his bad tempered ewe.....can I sell tickets?:lol:

Exactly....or even a goat as they love to butt.
Put my name down for a ticket...front row!!!:lol: