PDA

View Full Version : Orkney Satire Makes For Pulp Friction

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Jun-09, 03:22
Orkney may only be a few, short miles away from Caithness, but is it really light years away? Hmmm...

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/arts/Orkney-satire-makes-for-pulp.5386388.jp

Mystical Potato Head
21-Jun-09, 10:02
Shockaroony,people get drunk and and have extra martital activities,well that must make Orkney exactly the same as every other county in Britain.
The trouble with some southerners who up shop and move to Orkney is their inability to accept a way of life that is different to the one they left.The pace of life is slower,less urgency than their urban life they were used to.
They then take offence when being told "if you dont like the way things are done up here then go back where you came from".Having experienced some of their we know better than you superior attitude it isn't surprising that the locals didnt converse with the author of this "book",it wasn't because of emotional repression or being staid,it was more the case of nobody liking him because of his attitude
Sadly this started many years ago with Southerners selling their one bedroom flat in the big city which got them enough money to buy a house the size of a church manse on Orkney,where they played the Lord of the Manor and looked down upon the poor backward "islanders" and adopted the "get orf my land" attitude

Fortunately there are plenty of incomers who move to Orkney for one reason and one reason only,a quiter way of life,and they gladly accept the way things are done which clearly wasnt the case for the author of this fairy tale who must have thought that Orkney was some modern day island version of London with a vast tube network and huge millenium wheel to greet you as you stepped of the HamnavOla.

kmahon2001
21-Jun-09, 14:17
Shockaroony,people get drunk and and have extra martital activities,well that must make Orkney exactly the same as every other county in Britain.
The trouble with some southerners who up shop and move to Orkney is their inability to accept a way of life that is different to the one they left.The pace of life is slower,less urgency than their urban life they were used to.
They then take offence when being told "if you dont like the way things are done up here then go back where you came from".Having experienced some of their we know better than you superior attitude it isn't surprising that the locals didnt converse with the author of this "book",it wasn't because of emotional repression or being staid,it was more the case of nobody liking him because of his attitude
Sadly this started many years ago with Southerners selling their one bedroom flat in the big city which got them enough money to buy a house the size of a church manse on Orkney,where they played the Lord of the Manor and looked down upon the poor backward "islanders" and adopted the "get orf my land" attitude

Fortunately there are plenty of incomers who move to Orkney for one reason and one reason only,a quiter way of life,and they gladly accept the way things are done which clearly wasnt the case for the author of this fairy tale who must have thought that Orkney was some modern day island version of London with a vast tube network and huge millenium wheel to greet you as you stepped of the HamnavOla.

I totally agree. As this author didn't like the way of life, he should have simply left, without the nasty vindictive attitude and worse still, trying to get his vicious attack on the people of Orkney published. [disgust] (Although, I must say that Scratchmann's description of Orkney being stuck in a 1950s timewarp sounds very appealing to me!)

As a Southern incomer myself, I am always embarrassed and disgusted by fellow incomers who expect the same style of life up here as they had where they came from and expect the people up here to adapt to their ideas of how to live. I came up here for the way of life as it is and I expect myself to adapt to Caithness, not to have Caithness adapt to me. And I would expect exactly the same if I were in Orkney.

King_Creon
21-Jun-09, 15:11

Well said!!