PDA

View Full Version : Is Cynicism a good thing or can it be counter-productive?

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 01:03
I'm listening to to all cynical comments and I'm wondering if it is me that is at fault? I mean in terms of democracy, if I hold a minority view then I must be wrong, right?:confused

joxville
21-Jun-09, 01:07
I should've known you'd start a thread like this. :roll: ;)

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 01:17
I should've known you'd start a thread like this. :roll:

You know me too well grasshopper.;):)

Oddquine
21-Jun-09, 01:24
I'm listening to to all cynical comments and I'm wondering if it is me that is at fault? I mean in terms of democracy, if I hold a minority view then I must be wrong, right?:confused

What makes you think that the fact that a majority hold a view necessarily makes it the right one? :confused

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 01:26
What makes you think that the fact that a majority hold a view necessarily makes it the right one? :confused

I don't, thats the thing when the view is of a scientific nature. A political view needs a majority.

Oddquine
21-Jun-09, 04:25
I don't, thats the thing when the view is of a scientific nature. A political view needs a majority.

A political view may need a majority........but that doesn't necessarily make it a correct one.

joxville
21-Jun-09, 11:40

Does this 'scientific view' relate to global warming, wind farms etc.?

changilass
21-Jun-09, 11:54
For anyone to answer this fully we would need to know firstly - what your view were and on what subject, and secondly - does your view agree with ours.

Kenn
21-Jun-09, 12:01
Cynical is defined as scornful or sceptical of the motives or virtues of others.bitter mocking,sneering,showing contempt for accepted morality or values.

In the light of recent events and past records I'm quite happy about being cynical.

davem
21-Jun-09, 12:29
If we are talking in general rather than person specifically, then cynicism can be very counter productive:-
1. It's easier to knock down rather than build things.
2. If your immediate reaction to anything is cynicism then where is the room for hope?
3. Expect the worst and no, you won't be disappointed - but how much do you miss - will the seed of an idea wilt in the face of withering cynicism, a lot of things need belief support and backing to work. Cynicism is the last thing you need to progress in any field.

So absolutely yes!

alex
21-Jun-09, 12:53
I do get the impression that the majority of posters here, me included, tend toward cynicism. But being as today is a lovely day, and I won't care even if it rains later I refuse to be drawn till the morrow.

Kenn
21-Jun-09, 12:57
Whilst agreeing that cynicism can be a barrier to innovation and progress when taken to extreme my point is that from all the evidence I have and which has been seriously mulled over ,then I have every right to by cynical.
However, I am also an optimist which might seem a contradiction in terms but I have great faith in most of the human race and with the current situation and the intense feelings it has provoked there will be a mood for re-evaluation and the chance to change things for the betterl.

Boozeburglar
21-Jun-09, 13:53
There is no need for a majority, only a larger share of the vote than any other gets.

Democracy is supposed to mean that everyone's view gets a look in, and everyone gets equal access to power.

Difficult to see how that is possible in our system.

Also of course we elect our representatives and allow them to make certain choices for us in our interests, not always ones we agree with. A bit like parents ultimately overriding their children when it comes to the more serious decisions. Except of course you cannot vote your parents out every few years..

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 16:45
For anyone to answer this fully we would need to know firstly - what your view were and on what subject, and secondly - does your view agree with ours.

Scepticism in general. How do you react to new ideas? Are you largely hostile on first encountering them?

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 16:47
Does this 'scientific view' relate to global warming, wind farms etc.?

I'm pro-scepticism, that's why I think the way I do.:lol:

Is being sceptic in the face of evidence of proof not irrationalism?

oldmarine
21-Jun-09, 16:53

In a democracy the majority wins whether right or wrong. But then who determines whether anything is right or wrong. Quite a dilemna, isn't it?

gleeber
21-Jun-09, 16:55
Scepticism in general. How do you react to new ideas? Are you largely hostile on first encountering them?
Everyone has a first encounter impression. Some will stand by it whilst others will consider it and decide and others still will argue the toss about it and maybe be converted by their own opinions without ever knowing why they think it.:confused
Even scientific facts are not immune from cynicism. Cynics are people who are always looking for a way out. Maybe that could be both positive and negative.

oldmarine
21-Jun-09, 16:59
Everyone has a first encounter impression. Some will stand by it whilst others will consider it and decide and others still will argue the toss about it and maybe be converted by their own opinions without ever knowing why they think it.:confused
Even scientific facts are not immune from cynicism. Cynics are people who are always looking for a way out. Maybe that could be both positive and negative.

I am trying to think of a mathematical term that would explain how something could be both positive and negative at the same time. Can anyone help me with this one?

gleeber
21-Jun-09, 17:03
I am trying to think of a mathematical term that would explain how something could be both positive and negative at the same time. Can anyone help me with this one?
Paradoxes are interesting.

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 17:06

A differential from an average can be either positive or negative despite the layman's terminology.

crayola
21-Jun-09, 17:45
A differential from an average can be either positive or negative despite the layman's terminology.
But it can't be both at the same time. :)

Rheghead
21-Jun-09, 18:04
But it can't be both at the same time. :)

Yes it can. :lol:

Each
21-Jun-09, 18:08
Karl marx pointed out the dilema of modernism back in the 19th C -

"Everything is pregnant with its opposite"

The world is littered with the unintended consequences of our actions - unless your a conspiracy theorist - for the rest of us it provides such a rich source of comedy.

when we delude ourselves into thinking that we understand the world and are in control - cynicism helps bring us back down to earth.

Was it the roman emporers that used to employ a slave to walk behind them at ceremonies/processions to call out "remember your only human/mortal" - to stop themselves getting carried away by their own vanity ?

crayola
21-Jun-09, 18:13
Yes it can. :lol:
Please explain oh contrary one.:confused

crayola
21-Jun-09, 22:49
How about 'wrong'?

Rheg has gone quiet. :confused

Rheghead
22-Jun-09, 07:20
Please explain oh contrary one.:confused

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value

crayola
22-Jun-09, 09:04
Bah! A number and its absolute value are two different things. :roll:

I'll stick with 'wrong'.

Rheghead
22-Jun-09, 09:41
I'll stick with 'wrong'.

If you right a wrong then it should be right so how come that 1 X -1 = -1 :lol:
And we know that two wrongs should never be right but it is mathematically more wrong -1 + -1 = -2

It doesn't add up.

alex
22-Jun-09, 22:00

I think term you are looking for is i which is the term used for the square root of minus one. It's very useful in the work I am doing now.

They are called imaginary numbers but are very real indeed, can you imagine something with a dimension bigger than one but less than two????

crayola
24-Jun-09, 00:41
Good grief, oldmarine asked a simple question and you lot are talking about things most people will be lost with.

Oldmarine, no number can be positive and negative at the same time. Period.

Metalattakk
24-Jun-09, 01:23
Is Cynicism a good thing or can it be counter-productive?

It can be either. But then I believe a lack of cynicism leaves one with nothing but utter naivety.

Lolabelle
24-Jun-09, 08:15
Take the "C" out of sceptic and you get septic, everything is worth a look ;)

oldmarine
24-Jun-09, 21:56
Good grief, oldmarine asked a simple question and you lot are talking about things most people will be lost with.

Oldmarine, no number can be positive and negative at the same time. Period.

Crayola: Thank you for your answer. I thought perhaps I had lost my mathematical ability.