PDA

View Full Version : My World and you're welcome to it

JAWS
15-Mar-06, 01:20
For those who think Wick and Thurso can get a little out of hand at times and also for those who think I sometimes have some very strange views about society and humanity in general here are some recent news items from where I used to live.
It probably explains my rather cynical attitude towards most things in general and some things in particular.

All the incidents I am about to describe have happened during the last seven days.

A busy Family Pub on Sunday afternoon full of people, many parents with children, watching the local team playing football on the TV.
Two men walk in and fire at least twelve shots from handguns wounding two of the men in the bar. They make off and run across some wasteland where both are pursued and shot, one in the back, the other in the head, and killed.
Their getaway driver calmly walked over to them, crossed their legs, collected their guns and balaclavas and drove off.
The bar in question is about a mile from where I lived and in a location I know well.
The reason for the shootings? One of the original pair had been struck in the face in a fight the week previously and was intent on taking revenge and restoring his “Street Cred”, more commonly known as “Respek”.
Both the dead were armed with guns and whoever killed them obviously had at least one gun.
Not a common Sunday afternoon’s entertainment I must admit, but similar things are not all that unusual.
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/207/207641_dead_named_in_pub_shootout.html

In Widnes, about 15 miles from where I lived, last Friday evening, two young men walk up to the entrance of a pub where there is a dress code. The doorman requests that they lower the hoods from their heads. One young male lowers his hood as requested and goes to the bar.
The other obviously decides that the request is quite unreasonable, pulls a handgun from the waistband of his trousers and shoots the doorman, wounding him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4805024.stm

Last Wednesday, in Urmston, about five miles from my previous abode, a young mother walking down the street is accosted by a youth who demands her handbag and threatens he will stab her two year old son if she fails to comply. Needless to say, she now requires a new handbag..
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/207/207650_knife_maniac_mugs_a_baby_aged_two.html

Welcome to the World I left behind when I moved to Caithness.
Oh yes, and none of those areas are by any means the worst in areas where they occurred, there are far rougher areas with far greater crime problems.
I find none of the above either shocking or unusual, they're just something that happens.
Caithness, I must admit, was quite a culture shock for quite a while, it really did take some time to adjust.

MadPict
15-Mar-06, 01:44
So much for the "gun control" brought in after Dunblane.......

wickerinca
15-Mar-06, 04:25
It must be awful for the normal, law abiding residents who have to live in such areas. Not everyone has the wherewithal to move to escape the everyday stress of living in 'problem' areas. Bet that you are glad that you got out while you could, Jaws?

willowbankbear
15-Mar-06, 08:54
Just shows how wild the world is nowadays!!

Good site that though,good sport coverage

Whitewater
15-Mar-06, 15:41
That was a good post Jaws. Not many people believe or can accept just how it is.

Gleber2
15-Mar-06, 17:54
Unfortunately, the world you describe is not far away from the Highlands and getting closer by the day. Enjoy the comparative peace while you may.

Saveman
15-Mar-06, 18:32
Unfortunately, the world you describe is not far away from the Highlands and getting closer by the day. Enjoy the comparative peace while you may.

Well said Gleber2......totally agree.

Jaws....you look at the big picture...more power to your elbow I say.

The big picture is that the world is a mess.....hard not to get cynical in such an environment.

katarina
15-Mar-06, 18:38
aye, but can we no stop the rot before it gets too bad? the way things are going we'll soon catch up to the rest of the world. And that is what we don't want! Let's keep the good things about caithness GOOD!

Saveman
15-Mar-06, 18:41
aye, but can we no stop the rot before it gets too bad? the way things are going we'll soon catch up to the rest of the world. And that is what we don't want! Let's keep the good things about caithness GOOD!

I completely agree with your sentiments Katarina! But what can we do?

cuddlepop
15-Mar-06, 19:09
Your good with words Jaws ,ever thought of writting a colume for a mag or newspaper.
Heading---- Signs of the Times.

1 When i go home now i.m nervous about walking home from the station-its a walk i done myself for three years-
2 I have to no exactly where the kids are going and phone them if there 5 minutes late(there teenagers):confused:
3Lock my mothers door to nip down to the shop.
4Dont speak to the local children incase anyone things i'm going to snatch them.
5Avoid the discarded syringes as i walk to the bus stop etc.
This believe me is a good area,where you'll pay £150 000plus for a house.Its not run down.There are muggings,knife crime,shootings,burgulery on a weekly bases.:(

RandomHero
15-Mar-06, 19:58
What are you trying to prove with that post? That bad stuff happens and we should be greatful that it doesn't happen here? I agree but why do you have to post details about a few crimes? Welcome to planet earth.

connieb19
15-Mar-06, 20:09
What are you trying to prove with that post? That bad stuff happens and we should be greatful that it doesn't happen here? I agree but why do you have to post details about a few crimes? Welcome to planet earth.Maybe you should ask yourself that same question Random Hero. It was only last week, your postings went into great detail about animal cruelty, which some people felt they didn't need to know!! You started another thread then saying people needed to know these things!!
Your post to Jaws is a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

landmarker
15-Mar-06, 20:15
The incident in Salford was unusual. It is not a pleasant area and has a terrible reputation. Lots of good people live there and they have my sympathy. The streets have been surrendered to a large extent by the Police, who are failing the citizens, in turn, the Government is failing the Police. Tougher sentences are needed from the judiciary.

Today I read of two so called 'happy slappers' who pushed a young man into a lake in Essex. He drowned. They were given thirteen and eleven months.
Pathetically short sentences for 'manslaughter' and a slap in the face for the dead man's relatives. When justice begins to reflect the outrage the public feel at such crimes then maybe criminals will get the message too.

Jaws , did you simply 'move' or flee? What I do know is one day I hope to follow in your tyre tracks. I am hoping there will be little need to return.

My area of outer Manchester is not at all bad but I dont venture out much at night on foot. I daresay I wouldn't much in Caithness either.

JAWS
15-Mar-06, 21:29
What are you trying to prove with that post? That bad stuff happens and we should be greatful that it doesn't happen here? I agree but why do you have to post details about a few crimes? Welcome to planet earth.
Do I have to prove anything?