PDA

View Full Version : My DAB radio is working at last!

Julia
20-Jun-09, 13:01
My DAB stereo in the kitchen suddenly burst into life last night, I thought nothing of it but today having just switched it on I've realised it has scanned and found all the BBC DAB channels!

Am I the last to know :eek:, I didn't think we were able to receive it up here?

floyed
20-Jun-09, 13:21
I have been using mine for a while now. It didnt work for ages:D

Shabbychic
20-Jun-09, 13:23
I'll have dig mine out and try it again. Just sat there as an ornament before. Fingers crossed mine works too.:)

dessie
20-Jun-09, 13:27
they must have repaired the digital setup on rumster mast..it wa supposed to be ready last november but they had huge problems...

gollach
20-Jun-09, 13:44
Nothing in Thurso :(

Shabbychic
20-Jun-09, 14:05
I just tried it out, and am pleased to announce that we have the BBC DAB channels loud and clear.:)

I am in the Mey area, and the room the radio is in is facing Orkney, if that helps anyone.:)

Macwull
20-Jun-09, 15:48
is it just the bbc channels or can you recieve mfr?

Julia
20-Jun-09, 18:01
I will have a look and see but so far I think it's only BBC

supernova
20-Jun-09, 18:13
Wow, ours is working too, Bower area. Thanks for letting us know.

pjyemail
21-Jun-09, 22:16
working in wick too

joxville
21-Jun-09, 22:18
I'm not receiving DAB here in Hampshire.

celtic88chick
22-Jun-09, 01:26
my dad has had a mini DAB radio for well over a year now, and it has just started to work yesterday. I take it that its just recently that we have been able to receive the signal up here?

alex
22-Jun-09, 21:50
Can anyone explain to me WHY we're going digital for radio and what benefits it will bring to me?

I know I'm stupid, but when I'm happy with what I have for free now, I don't want it taken away and charged for getting it back again.

Geo
23-Jun-09, 15:57
Alex from what i've read about DAB you are not missing anything. It appears to be a poorly chosen system for digital radio. Many stations broadcast in low quality sound. FM stereo is better.

Metalattakk
23-Jun-09, 16:01
Can anyone explain to me WHY we're going digital for radio and what benefits it will bring to me?

I know I'm stupid, but when I'm happy with what I have for free now, I don't want it taken away and charged for getting it back again.

In-depth analysis of the ramifications of the Carter Report and the roll-out of DAB radio in the UK:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/carter_radio_dumb_media/

Rumours of the demise of FM are exaggerated, it seems.

Stargazer
23-Jun-09, 17:40
I just tried it out, and am pleased to announce that we have the BBC DAB channels loud and clear.:)

I am in the Mey area, and the room the radio is in is facing Orkney, if that helps anyone.:)

The DAB Radio transmitter is at Keelylang (Spelling?) in Orkney. I get reasonable reception in Halkirk but depends on where in the house the radio is.

I have heard that commercial stations are not extending thier digital coverage because of the cost so we may have to wait a bit for MFR and Classic FM etc.

Metalattakk
23-Jun-09, 17:47
The DAB Radio transmitter is at Keelylang (Spelling?) in Orkney. I get reasonable reception in Halkirk but depends on where in the house the radio is.

So how come it skips over Thurso completely then?

Venture
24-Jun-09, 08:55
I don't seem to be able to get MFR at all this morning. Is anyone else having the same problem.