PDA

View Full Version : Local Musicians/artists acting as Educational mentors?

Rheghead
19-Jun-09, 00:04
I've just had a thought, would you be in favor of local musicians and artists putting in time to encourage/mentor kids?

Would you be in favor of the local education authority to pay this?

teenybash
19-Jun-09, 01:00
I think it would be a brilliant idea and would bring a relaxed element to learning about the 'arts'. I think the youngsters would respond to having local musicians and artists who would be seen as their mentors.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jun-09, 01:58
My partner, Shona Mooney, is a BBC Award-winning musician and she does exactly this in the Borders region. Her efforts have paid off very well from what I've seen.

weeboyagee
19-Jun-09, 08:27
I've voted but I'm waiting for more comments before I wade in on this one Rheggers!

WBG :cool:

starry
19-Jun-09, 08:42
Yes 100%
I think it is a really good idea.

Lingland
19-Jun-09, 11:06
I think it is a good idea butttt there is saftey issues they would all have to get clearance etc.

weeboyagee
19-Jun-09, 11:46
I think it is a good idea butttt there is saftey issues they would all have to get clearance etc.
Most of the musicians (not sure about the artists) that I know in this county who are perfectly capable of teaching the kids in the schools are teaching outwith, running festivals, workshops, supporting them in musical activities in other areas and probably have full Enhanced Disclosures, including myself. So going for another one to teach in the schools wouldn't to my mind be any problem.

WBG :cool:

Tristan
19-Jun-09, 21:56
What do you mean by the "going rate"?

TBH
19-Jun-09, 23:03
I'd be more interested in local tradespersons putting in time to encourage/mentor kids? These are the jobs that pay the bills.

Bobinovich
19-Jun-09, 23:04
Is that not what the Work Experience programme is for?

wifie
19-Jun-09, 23:07
I feel the expressive arts are sorely lacking in schools these days if our one is anything to go by! [disgust]

Mind you I think TBH has a point cos apprenticeships are not what they used to be!

TBH
19-Jun-09, 23:12
Is that not what the Work Experience programme is for?The work experience scheme is a waste of time and money, please do not confuse it with actually having time with a tradesperson "learning the trade" and not just a good excuse to get off school for a day.

Rheghead
19-Jun-09, 23:42
I'd be more interested in local tradespersons putting in time to encourage/mentor kids? These are the jobs that pay the bills..

Would that include a former chairman of the Thurso traders association who was on the one hand writing to the Groat and calling on locals to buy local but was eventually exposed as someone who was buying his car and kitchen from Inversnecky rather than support local trade?:confused

sweetpea
19-Jun-09, 23:45
If you feel passionately for something pay would be the last thing on your mind! surely. If not then what's the point?

TBH
19-Jun-09, 23:59
Would that include a former chairman of the Thurso traders association who was on the one hand writing to the Groat and calling on locals to buy local but was eventually exposed as someone who was buying his car and kitchen from Inversnecky rather than support local trade?:confusedI really don't know what relevance this has to your thread.
Ideally we would all buy locally but financial restraints force people to look for the best deal possible.
Taking the thread back on course there is a huge knowledge base to be gleaned from plumbers, electicians, brick layers, etc and passed onto the youth of every Town, Village, City.

catran
20-Jun-09, 00:14
If you feel passionately for something pay would be the last thing on your mind! surely. If not then what's the point?
Yes sweetpea I thoroughly agree

Metalattakk
20-Jun-09, 00:26
The work experience scheme is a waste of time and money, please do not confuse it with actually having time with a tradesperson "learning the trade" and not just a good excuse to get off school for a day.

I'm not having that. It's not all about 'learning a trade' and it's not about replacing apprenticeships.

In my place of work, we recently had a young chap come in for a fortnight's Work Experience. He was set a certain set of tasks, and performed them very well.

As a result of this, he's been invited back to our workplace during the summer holidays, as a paid staff member. He has a knack for the type of work required, and is happy with and able to cope with the demands required of him.

Surely this is exactly what Work Experience is meant to achieve?

Rheghead
20-Jun-09, 00:27
I really don't know what relevance this has to your thread.

I don't think your initial post has any relevence to the thread either.:roll:

wifie
20-Jun-09, 00:28
I'm not having that. It's not all about 'learning a trade' and it's not about replacing apprenticeships.

In my place of work, we recently had a young chap come in for a fortnight's Work Experience. He was set a certain set of tasks, and performed them very well.

As a result of this, he's been invited back to our workplace during the summer holidays, as a paid staff member. He has a knack for the type of work required, and is happy with and able to cope with the demands required of him.

Surely this is exactly what Work Experience is meant to achieve?

Glad to hear that - so often not the case I am sure, in many different occupations.

secrets in symmetry
20-Jun-09, 00:45
Given the state of Wick High School and the cuts in the number of teachers to teach our children there, I find it surprising that people want the council to spend their limited resources on musicians/artists and cycle paths. :(

TBH
20-Jun-09, 00:54

Surely this is exactly what Work Experience is meant to achieve?One Swallow does not make a Summer.

Metalattakk
20-Jun-09, 01:29
TBH, I have presented evidence that the Work Experience scheme can work.

Dress it up (or down) as much as you want. The facts remain.

webmannie
20-Jun-09, 17:24
TBH, I have presented evidence that the Work Experience scheme can work.

Dress it up (or down) as much as you want. The facts remain.

Metalattakk, not just that loon, we have had a number of work experiencers, one of which is now a Director of the same company he did his work experience with!