PDA

View Full Version : Midgies

johndsmith
18-Jun-09, 23:46
I have been told that using a cream from a well known ding dong perfume company called "skin so soft" acts as a great deterrent against these little bloodsuckers, it is so good it is used by members of the Parachute Regiment. What other potions do members of e org reccomend?

shakinitboss
18-Jun-09, 23:48
citronella

Rheghead
18-Jun-09, 23:58
What other potions do members of e org recommend?

To boost your sense of self worth or ability to endure an attack of determined midges then I'd suggest a heavily seasoned mixture of sugar, water and yeast. There are many additions and variations that you may consider but none will really keep the wee beasties away.

wifie
19-Jun-09, 00:27
The skin so soft stuff worked well on west coast midgies for me jd! :D

Stefan
19-Jun-09, 09:02
Skin so soft worked well for me and I am about to test midge patches...

cuddlepop
19-Jun-09, 10:09
Skin so soft over here on the Skye midge and as our wee beasties seem to have tackity boots compared to the rest it must be good.:lol:

I've noticed that taking anti histamines keeps the "red welt" down too.

starry
19-Jun-09, 10:45
I was helping out at on a running event and was being eaten alive by midgies, a guy from the Army team gave me a wee tube of stuff they were using.

It was in a dull green metalic tube and was the best I have ever used.

Skin So Soft is good but this stuff was 100% better.

Joefitz
19-Jun-09, 15:20
Mix 25% Dimethylphthalate with 75% Oil of Citronella, can't be beat!!

honey
19-Jun-09, 15:22
What other potions do members of e org reccomend?

moving out of caithness seemed to help me ;)

Each
19-Jun-09, 16:42
I was told once that midges can smell sugar in your blood,

I dont seem to notice them now - maybe its because Im not a youngster any more - I dont consume Coke and Chocolate continuously or because I know better than to be out on the moor when its a calm evening.

The weather is your only defence - they dont like the sunshine - it burns their wings and the wind just sweeps them away.

If your out on the moor on a calm, damp, evening you've only yourself to blame.

domino
19-Jun-09, 19:56
If you know anyone who is going to the States ask them to get you a couple of cans of "OFF". Really effective

wndyndy
19-Jun-09, 20:29
moving out of caithness seemed to help me ;)
caithness is the place with the least midges, we are lucky here

Stefan
19-Jun-09, 20:47
If you know anyone who is going to the States ask them to get you a couple of cans of "OFF". Really effective

OFF contains DEET !!!
Highly NOT recommended !!!

Cinderella's Shoe
19-Jun-09, 22:29
Skin so soft works very well for me!

But its a spray, not a cream, so spreads much easier

craggy island
19-Jun-09, 22:40
vitamin B6
works after a week or so, so take it before you get here!
not much midgies here anyway.

chaz
19-Jun-09, 22:46
skin so soft or soap nut liqued;)

Tom Cornwall
20-Jun-09, 14:02
I agree with 'Shakin', citronella works for most of these biting thingies..we got stuff called 'Lemon Cologne' when we were on holiday, worked brilliant, but can't find it over here...but when you think of it lemon is a citron type fruit so there you go

Geo
20-Jun-09, 15:21
caithness is the place with the least midges, we are lucky here

You must live in a particularly midge free spot then! There are millions of them in Caithness. My back garden is full of them in the "right" conditions and if you go anywhere near lochs you will be eaten alive.