PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Pool 'Fun Run'...

Bobinovich
18-Jun-09, 20:18
After a great first session with the new inflatable 'fun run' last Sunday at Thurso pool, I queried why it was only available for ¾ hour compared to Wick's 2 hours. The reason given? It's due to other groups using the pool.

I've since discovered that the allotted time has been increased by 15 minutes, but that's still an hour shorter than the Wick pool. I believe that a number of kids had to be turned away as the fun run can only accommodate 30 per session, so a second session would be ideal - especially considering that it takes ~15 minutes to inflate/setup & at least the same to deflate/pack away, a measly hour is hardly justifiable.

As a regular user of both Wick & Thurso pools with my kids, I perused the timetable and am quite shocked at how little public swimming there is available out with school time. It only totals about 17 hours or so a week, compared with about 14 hours for T.A.S.C., and about 8 hours for other groups.

I hope some additional time can be found to give over an extra hour to the fun run - all the kids obviously enjoyed it and word will spread in school, so I can see many others having to be turned away for future sessions.

golach
18-Jun-09, 20:22
OMG, St Bob has had a rant............but I feel he is fully justified, go for it St bob mate

Wee Monkee
18-Jun-09, 23:32
Not being a regular user of Thurso swimming pool I contacted them the night before to get the public open times, 12.15 -3.00. In I wander the following day at 12.30 to be told by the person at reception that somebody was hiring the pool from 1 o'clock. It was only after she charged me the full price of a 45 minute session that I realised, after changing etc, I would only have 25 minutes in the pool. So that already riled me, but the story continues. As i'm leaving I notice the people who hired the pool were a group of 5 mums and their babies, isn't that what the toddle pool is for? Half of the pool was being unused as they were in the supervision of non-swimmers.
Not a happy customer[evil]

pink25
19-Jun-09, 12:24
The amount of time allocated to public swimming is terrible, I remember years ago you could just turn up without having to worry about a club or something being on.
Adults swimming is 8am to 9am (or used to be) and if there was school children in at 9am you had to be out of the changing rooms before 9am!

Sage
19-Jun-09, 17:56
My daughter and her friend were 2 that were turned away, they were extremely dissappointed and came away with the timetable after being told no you cant get in today because after this there's the teams then other clubs etc. :mad: 2 upset 11 year olds who ended up "going for lunch" at Caithness Horizons where they were treated exceptionally well (especially considering they were on their own!)

It's been a sore point for a while that there is so little public time in the pool.

Bobinovich
20-Jun-09, 14:02
Aw double boo hoo! Was planning to take kids to Wick fun run this afternoon &, expecting queuing, phoned ahead to find out the best time to arrive, only to find that they're shut for 2 weeks for maintenance :(

Thurso pool is closed from 2pm due to T.A.S.C. so I even thought about Betthyill pool but am amazed to find they're not even open on Saturday except in July & August!

Looks like I'm gonna have to chuck the kids in the sea instead :eek:

ShelleyCowie
20-Jun-09, 15:07
I would love to take athrun swimming but am too self concious.

But i have never known how often the pool is open to public anyway.

I remember the old fun run which i used to go to when i was younger. I thought it was awsome fun but had to wait ages in a queue and thats what you was paying for!

poppett
20-Jun-09, 15:13
When I was young we only had the sea.

ShelleyCowie
20-Jun-09, 15:19
When I was young we only had the sea.

Its free and its more fun i think!! :D But when i go in the sea like last year i got burnt to a crisp and a crab snapped ma toe! :~(

Worth it tho cos i was in Skye! :Razz

carzanne
22-Jun-09, 17:47
i just feel this is sooo wrong . all this write up about obesity . and children are only getting too swim for a few hours. what are these councillors doing for caithness and our young .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very little by the time they are only able to swim for a few hours and getting turned away . how do they have the heart too turn these our future away from having fun . when really its the only bit of excitment for some of these youngster as many don't get the opportunity to do anything else .

come on who's responsibility is this anyway !

LET OUR KIDS HAVE SOME FUN !!!!!!!!!![evil]

Bobinovich
03-Jul-09, 17:08
Grrr - another annoyance today [disgust]. After seeing this post (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=80255) on the NewsBot Testing forum which linked to Thurso Swimming Pool's summer schedule (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=111) I was delighted to see a whole 2 hour session for the Fun Run on Fridays from 1-3pm.

Took two bouncing kids down today only to be disappointed and find that the schedule starts NEXT WEEK! No indication on above links, or in the printed copies at the pool, to say when it starts :( - I would have expected the beginning of the school holidays myself.

cjb
03-Jul-09, 20:40
The swimming club is open to all children of any level of ability. You can find out more on their website www.thursoasc.org.uk

wickscorrie
04-Jul-09, 19:27
fun run in wick is on on saturdays 2 to 4
or 10th 17th 24th from 10 to 12

looks good fun wish e older folkes could get a go!!

Bobinovich
04-Jul-09, 22:25
Well after disappointment yesterday I took my two through to Wick Fun Run today and they had a great time. It's a bit shorter than Thurso's, and definately easier, but that didn't stop a few participants sliding off :lol:

The biggest surprise was turning up at 2pm, not expecting to get into the first session, only to find that there were still places available! In Thurso we've found it necessary to arrive about ½ to ¾ hour early in order to ensure a spot :eek:. Could well be because they have a decent 2-hour session - the 2nd only had a dozen or so kids.

Darn tootin that they should have an adults session sometime tho - s'not fair :(

BINBOB
04-Jul-09, 22:44
i just feel this is sooo wrong . all this write up about obesity . and children are only getting too swim for a few hours. what are these councillors doing for caithness and our young .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very little by the time they are only able to swim for a few hours and getting turned away . how do they have the heart too turn these our future away from having fun . when really its the only bit of excitment for some of these youngster as many don't get the opportunity to do anything else .

come on who's responsibility is this anyway !

LET OUR KIDS HAVE SOME FUN !!!!!!!!!![evil]

In my day in swimming pools,I certainly do not remember all of this hassle.it was only closed[in the central belt] on a swimming club evening.........if it is meant to be a public pool ...why all of these rules.

when we went swimming with our school...a section wpenned off for us/and the public.
We went swimming at every opportunity.........sometimes 3 times daily in summer.:roll:

BINBOB
04-Jul-09, 22:45
The swimming club is open to all children of any level of ability. You can find out more on their website www.thursoasc.org.uk (http://www.thursoasc.org.uk)

Why join a swimming club ..just to get in the pool??It would not suit every child ,who just wants fun to do their own thing.;)