PDA

View Full Version : How do you roast a chicken?

Rheghead
18-Jun-09, 19:34
I'm not usually a meat eater but I do like the odd chicken now and again. I like mine roasted on a grill, no foil or anything, just as is so it is as dry as it can be. OH likes hers pot-roasted so it keeps all the moisture in and it effectively fries in its juices.

I've tried upside down roasts, foils roasts, no foil roasts roasted in bits, whole roasts, pot roasts. With salt, no salt to dry skin. Slow cook, fast 200 degrees heat, you name it I've cooked it that way.

Any other ideas?[lol]

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-09, 22:26
I know there is not too many volcano's in Caithness, but one of the most delcious roast chicken that I have ever tasted was cooked using the geothermal of a volcano .:Razz
Timanfaya National Park (http://www.discoverlanzarote.com/timanfaya.asp)

Julia
18-Jun-09, 22:38
Make sure it's already dead, throw it in and slam the door for an hour or two [lol]

Bazeye
18-Jun-09, 23:14
Make sure it's already dead, throw it in and slam the door for an hour or two [lol]

Or ask any premiership footballer. :eek:

shazzap
19-Jun-09, 01:25
Or ask any premiership footballer. :eek:

Put it in a pre- heated oven high heat for half hour.Turn down the oven after this time to around gas mark 4. 20 mins per pound and an extra 20 mins for good measure.

teenybash
19-Jun-09, 14:36
Here's my tuppence worth................
Make some bread crumbs add salt to taste and a level tspn of mixed herbs....stuff chicken full to bursting and place on roasting dish. Cover bird with bacon rashers and pop in oven for appropriate time.

Alternative...after stuffing or not, whatever you prefer, loosen skin on breast to make pockets. Crush as many cloves of garlic as you like and mix with either butter or a table spoon of olive oil. Rub mixture between loosened skin and flesh before popping in the oven to roast, basting from time to time until cooked.MMMMmmmmmm..................

honey
19-Jun-09, 14:43
i buy mine ready cooked out of Morrisons!! i have a fear of cooking meat/poultry in case i poison us all....

i do cook chicken portions in the slow cooker though, and they are delicious!

wifie
19-Jun-09, 15:04
Stick a halved lemon inside the cavity, place rashers of bacon over the breast and roast for 20 min per lb plus 20 on a medium heat. Roast chicken should only be served wi oatmeal stuffing too! :D Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

alanatkie
19-Jun-09, 16:10
I like my chicken stuffed with haggis then cooked in the oven as recommended temp & time

Ajax
19-Jun-09, 20:34
ihear that the butchers on high st do cooked chickens but the buy them from tescos then sell at a profit they must have a lot of tesco points by now

only me
19-Jun-09, 21:04
ihear that the butchers on high st do cooked chickens but the buy them from tescos then sell at a profit they must have a lot of tesco points by nowyeah your right and they dont even taste good i much prefer to cook my own

sassylass
20-Jun-09, 17:45
Put a quartered onion in the cavity along with a sprig of rosemary or thyme. Butter the skin, then salt and pepper it. Put the bird in a hot oven for 1/2 hour then lower the heat for a couple hours until it's done. mmmmm

ShelleyCowie
21-Jun-09, 13:57
Pre-Heat oven to 180 degrees

I cut a bit of crisp and dry lard. Just a tiny bit. Put it in the oven dish.

Melt the lard in the oven.

Place chicken in oven dish. Pour a little salt on to my hands and rub the chicken with it. Also put on some mixed herbs.

Foil cook chicken for 1 hour 45 mins. Remove foil and cook for a bit extra (til the chicken is cooked depending on what kind of oven you have)

Well thats the way i cook mines. And it always tastes darn good! :D

Bazeye
23-Jun-09, 19:36
Pre-Heat oven to 180 degrees

I cut a bit of crisp and dry lard. Just a tiny bit. Put it in the oven dish.

Melt the lard in the oven.

Place chicken in oven dish. Pour a little salt on to my hands and rub the chicken with it. Also put on some mixed herbs.

Foil cook chicken for 1 hour 45 mins. Remove foil and cook for a bit extra (til the chicken is cooked depending on what kind of oven you have)

Well thats the way i cook mines. And it always tastes darn good! :D

I'll be round for Sunday dinner then.