PDA

View Full Version : Tesco dancing on Asda's grave at the Mart in Thurso?

Pages : [1] 2 3

crayola
17-Jun-09, 23:42
Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time? :confused

Vistravi
18-Jun-09, 00:42
Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.

Gogglebox
18-Jun-09, 07:58
Tesco have bought the land. Appartently they are going to build but who knows. I don't think they bought it as a one over on asdas. Thats quite childish to have as a opinion.

Yes but it is a common business tactic of Tescos to buy up land and not build until another Supermarket threatens to

lazytown
18-Jun-09, 07:59
Tescos have a reputation of buying land to stop compeditors buying and building on it.

Stefan
18-Jun-09, 08:46
They sure do. Bought land here where I am just now, massive site, apparently to build a super store, but we already have a large tesco round the corner.... The site had a super bowl etc. on it, all forced to close, now been vacant for several years....
I don't think they will ever build there but tried to stop Somerfield.... it was in the local paper that they put in for some outrageous planning permission and it was suggested that they want to stretch the planning process out as long as possible. The Tesco round the corner is not exactly small and suits quite well for the size of town, also there is a super store larger than Wick just 20 minutes from here...
However, we don't have a Somerfield here at all, as they can't find a suitable site.

ShelleyCowie
18-Jun-09, 11:06
I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!! :eek:

Stefan
18-Jun-09, 11:17
Ha, that's exactly what they are doing here.
Part of their plannning application is to rip the old site down (it's not old though...) and build housing. Now thats very unlikely to be granted in the next 10 years or so... as the local plan doesn't allow for such changes.

If they really wanted to build on the new site they could just rent out the old site to a company that doesn't belong to the competition, like a storage warehouse type thing or something like that.

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Jun-09, 12:21
I dont want to start rumors.

:roll:.....well this is Caithness!

crayola
18-Jun-09, 12:26
I found this (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/934A85CA-0821-4DD8-9F80-E0CB76B504C9/0/081114planning.pdf) on the Highland Council's Weekly Planning Applications list....
Thurso
Ward-02
Ref Number 08/00494/REMCA Application Type Approval of Reserved Matters
Validation Date 13/11/2008 Grid Reference 311157 967763
Description of Works Erection of retail store,
Location of Works Thurso Auction Mart, Ormlie Road, Thurso, Highland, ,
Community Council Thurso Community Council
Applicant Name Santon Retail Limited
Applicant Address Tesco Stores Limited, Per Agent
Case Officer Iain Ewart
(01955) 607757
iain.ewart@highland.gov.uk
I don't know what the outcome was and I haven't been able to find anything more recent on the web.

bekisman
18-Jun-09, 12:47
Seems this Tesco thread might keep going - must admit wondered when they would start the building work, but present economic climate ain't that good at the moment.. just a refresh from last year- obviously we all now know Tesco got the site, so time will tell when they eventually start..

10-Apr-08, 14:19
Tesco Does Have The Mart Hi Folks I've been sitting on this for a while since 27th March/4th April 08 but just had this email in from Douglas Wilson Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland (Tesco)

Dear "We are issuing a press release today [10th April] so please feel free to post this info on [the] website."

"to confirm our conversation, we have purchased the Auction Mart site in Thurso.. we are actively pursuing a development on the site and hope to be in a position to discuss this further with local councillors and the wider Thurso community in the near future" regards Doug

Douglas Wilson
Corporate Affairs Manager
Scotland and Northern Ireland

(I asked if this was confidential and he came back with the proviso; "I would appreciate a degree of confidentially for perhaps the next few weeks"..)
Bit of history to show that these big conglomerates are approachable.. I emailed Sir Terry Leahy at Tesco on 27th March 08 and asked if they had purchased the site and were they going to sit on it? (which not a few on the Org thought!) at 16.47 I got a reply from Anna Margot the Chief Executive's Office who said she had forwarded my email onto Nick Gellatly; Corporate Affairs Manager for the Thurso area.

On the 4th April at 11.21 had a phone call from Douglas Wilson, Corporate Affairs Manager, Scotland and Northern Ireland and he told me that yes, they have purchased the Mart site in Thurso, and no, they will not just[B] 'sit' on it, and are building a 30,000 square foot store plus fuel outlet. They are not sure at the moment what to do with the smaller Tesco/Somerfield store but will probably be sublet..
He asked if I would like him to send me a confirmation email I said yes and at 11.55 on the 4th April he sent the one above..

cezzy1234
18-Jun-09, 13:03
Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time? :confused

hi i was told that tesco had bought the land but had rented it to asda

Loafer
18-Jun-09, 13:45
Tesco rent to Asda? I take it you are having a wee joke, or extracting the wee??

The Loafer

grumpy1
18-Jun-09, 20:33
I dont want to start rumors. But the store that is meant to be built at the mart will only have groceries and electrical. Not clothing.

But then, the old store over beside the Park hotel, will be changed into flats or another business to prevent another supermarket coming in.

But dont take my word!! :eek:

i heard some time ago that travel lodge had been quite interested in the tesco site...dont know if there was anything in it......but just like everything else its all speculation.....i personally reckon it will be like when they built in wick...nothing but speculation for months then voila suddenly in go the bulldozer an 8mth later tesco appears...if it happens it happens....

theone
18-Jun-09, 20:57

I dispair, I really do.

Vistravi
19-Jun-09, 02:08

That shall never happen.:roll: How do these ridiculous rumurs get around?:roll:

crayola
20-Jun-09, 01:40
Should I assume from the above that nothing has happened on-site at the mart and that no-one has any first-hand knowledge of what the present state of play is? :(

tonkatojo
20-Jun-09, 10:26
Should I assume from the above that nothing has happened on-site at the mart and that no-one has any first-hand knowledge of what the present state of play is? :(

Yes. And I suppose the same goes for ASDA.

crayola
20-Jun-09, 16:16
Thanks tonkatojo. I can't see Asda entering the fray again unless Tesco sit on the mart site for a few years more.

I find it amusing that the main advertisement you see on this page before you log in is for Sainsbury's. :lol:

cazmanian_minx
21-Jun-09, 09:39
OH has heard a fairly strong rumour that Tesco are attempting to do a deal with Thurso High School to buy that land as well and build a new, bigger school for Thurso elsewhere in the town - possibly on the site of the current Tesco?

crayola
21-Jun-09, 15:54
You couldn't build a bigger school on the site of the current Tesco because there isn't enough space. You could do it if you built the school on the Millbank playing fields so why would Tesco not keep it simple and just build their new superstore there? Would it be easier to get planning permission for a school at Millbank than a superstore there?

Anyways, a new school would surely cost way more than a new superstore. Why would Tesco want to suffer the expense? :confused

Vistravi
21-Jun-09, 17:58
You couldn't build a bigger school on the site of the current Tesco because there isn't enough space. You could do it if you built the school on the Millbank playing fields so why would Tesco not keep it simple and just build their new superstore there? Would it be easier to get planning permission for a school at Millbank than a superstore there?

Anyways, a new school would surely cost way more than a new superstore. Why would Tesco want to suffer the expense? :confused

Crayola its just a rumour. it's properly not true like all the other rumours. We shall find out when tesco actually do something.;)

crayola
21-Jun-09, 23:21
Crayola its just a rumour. it's properly not true like all the other rumours. We shall find out when tesco actually do something.;)
Ah but this is allegedly a 'fairly strong rumour'. ;)

Vistravi
21-Jun-09, 23:28
Ah but this is allegedly a 'fairly strong rumour'. ;)

Aye so cazmanian minx says.;) Just a rumour.....for now. I'll believe it when i see it :roll:

crayola
23-Jun-09, 00:15
Just a rumour.....for now.
Every tittle-tattle helps. :lol:

Vistravi
26-Jun-09, 20:57
Every tittle-tattle helps. :lol:

Are you saying your a gossip Crayola? (Feigns shock) :lol:;)

crayola
27-Jun-09, 02:12
My philosophy is 'try something new today'. :D

crayola
29-Jan-10, 23:15
I didn't think this subject would go away. Is it just the recession or are Tesco strictly dancing? What do you think?

Tesco denies delaying build of superstore (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7781/Tesco_denies_delaying_build_of_superstore.html)

Vistravi
30-Jan-10, 00:06
They could be or they could not be.
Only tescos know the answer to that question ;)

joxville
30-Jan-10, 04:01

Tesco rent to Asda? I take it you are having a wee joke, or extracting the wee??

The Loafer

It's true, though the deal fell through when Asda refused to pay the £5 delivery charge for the legal papers.

Mrs Bucket
30-Jan-10, 09:27
Thats big business for you

Cattach
30-Jan-10, 10:57

Certainly not a childish opinion. It is well documented that there are sites around the country that supermarkets own but are not developing simply to keep the opposition out. Whether thst is the case in Thurso I do not know but nevertheless it is possible due to what has happened elsewhere. Childish no, fair assessment possibly!

bekisman
30-Jan-10, 11:50
I didn't think this subject would go away. Is it just the recession or are Tesco strictly dancing? What do you think?

Tesco denies delaying build of superstore (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7781/Tesco_denies_delaying_build_of_superstore.html)

(Thanks for the link Crayola)

Some folks may not be able to open the link, but at least there's a bit more info, and hopefully the days are getting less where we out west can save about £3 a tank filling..

"A CLAIM that Tesco plans to delay the building of its new supermarket in Thurso has been denied by the company.

A spokesman for the store yesterday expressed his surprise at the suggestion which cropped up at Tuesday night's meeting of the town's community council when vice-chairman Bert Macleod said he heard the supermarket was to be delayed by two years.

Chairman Bob Earnshaw said he also had been told the building of the store - planned at the former auction mart site in the town - was to be deferred, although he acknowledged that could be the result of the recent bad weather or the downturn in the economy.

"Nothing is happening at the site at the moment and I think we should write to Tesco and ask them what the position is," he said.
Members agreed with that suggestion.

A Tesco company spokesman told the John O'Groat Journal there are no plans to delay the project.

"We are currently tendering for the demolition contract to clear the site of the existing buildings. When the site is cleared we will move the new store forward onto our development programme," he said.

The 8.5-acre site between the railway station and the town's high school has lain derelict since November 2006 when United Auctions sold it to Miller Developments.

The new 25,000 square-foot supermarket is to include a four-pump petrol station as well as a car park and new access on to Ormlie Road. The development is set to create 50 jobs. Tesco intends selling off its current store at Millbank when the new store is completed.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7781/Tesco_denies_delaying_build_of_superstore.html

Countryman
30-Jan-10, 17:55
How long have they had the site 4 years and they are now talking about preparing a tender for demolition. How many more years before the move to build, they haved stopped the opposition so are not worried hows long it takes.

bingo1
30-Jan-10, 18:02
YOUD BE SUPPRISED:roll:

2little2late
31-Jan-10, 00:11
It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company from purchasing the land. Tesco are going to be building a new superstore on the mart site.

crayola
31-Jan-10, 01:40
To be fair to Tesco, it's only 5 months since they obtained permission to go ahead.

Tesco store gets green light (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/7175/Tesco_store_gets_green_light.html)

Phill
31-Jan-10, 12:57
It is now against the law for any company to buy land (and not build on it) just to stop another company

Maybe it is, but Tesco's legal team could drag appeals on this out for a decade without breaking sweat, and all the while blame the lack of action on the original legal action.

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 14:00
All this whinging about Tesco - if certain councillors had not lived in the dark ages, we'd be shopping in ASDA at Pennyland for quite a while now - at least we HAVE got a blinking Tesco, just need the fuel to stop the continuing rip-off and price difference between Thurso/Wick

crayola
31-Jan-10, 14:24
I've changed my mind about siting Asda at Pennyland. It was bad politics by Asda and their supporters because they were bound to get a lot of objections. If they'd applied to build it just past Manpower you would probably be shopping there now.

Phill
31-Jan-10, 14:30
I've changed my mind about siting Asda at Pennyland. It was bad politics by Asda and their supporters because they were bound to get a lot of objections. If they'd applied to build it just past Manpower you would probably be shopping there now.

I don't know the in's & out's of this but why didn't Asda get permission and Tesco did?

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 14:55

Eh! where were you when this was going on? there was overwhelming support!, Very roughly is was: Councillor Smith (Wick) had the deciding vote and voted against, so a whole council meeting took a vote and it was passed, but then Scottish Reporter stuck her oar in and decided against it.. there were not a lot of objections

crayola
31-Jan-10, 14:56
Asda wanted to build on the field between the bottom of Pennyland and the A836 next to Pennyland Farm. It was part of the green belt and would have spoiled the amenity of the area.

Ormlie Road is brown field and has been unused since the Mart closed. There are a lot of arguments against Ormlie too: it's a busy road already, the junction with Castlegreen road is already busy, it's next to Thurso High School and Miller Academy and there are allegedly issues over the land being contaminated. The slope won't help and it will again spoil the amenity. There may be more reasons....

Then there are claims about the council having their hands in Tesco's pockets or was it vice versa? :lol:

danc1ngwitch
31-Jan-10, 14:58
:roll: How do these ridiculous rumurs get around?:roll:
I rest my case[lol]

crayola
31-Jan-10, 14:58
Eh! where were you when this was going on? there was overwhelming support!, Very roughly is was: Councillor Smith (Wick) had the deciding vote and voted against, so a whole council meeting took a vote and it was passed, but then Scottish Reporter stuck her oar in and decided against it.. there were not a lot of objections
The whole of the bottom of Pennyland estate was against it as were many in the Burnside estates and it was against the local plan. The politics was a long shot and they lost. Or hadn't you noticed?

It's a complex issue whether or not you appreciate that.

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 15:09
Crayola: 'Asda wanted to build on the field between the bottom of Pennyland and the A836 next to Pennyland Farm. It was part of the green belt and would have spoiled the amenity of the area.'

Seems it was ok for an Hotel then?

(sorry if this is too 'complex' for me)

crayola
31-Jan-10, 15:17
What hotel? :lol:

There's no point in bringing back straw men even if they're in the local plan. You will get precisely nowhere by doing that. Just as the Asda for Pennyland supporters did.

To win planning permission for such a large project you need either a clear route or some political tanks to clear the route. Or you need an alternative route. The Asda Pennyland tanks were displaced by some Thurso councillors plus Mr Smith and once damaged were stopped by the reporter. As far as I can see Asda weren't interested in an alternative route for reasons that are beyond me and their powerful supporters didn't have a Plan B. It doesn't surprise me that such a naive plan failed.

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 15:30
What hotel? :lol:

There's no point in bringing back straw men even if they're in the local plan. You will get precisely nowhere by doing that. Just as the Asda for Pennyland supporters did.

To win planning permission for such a large project you need either a clear route or some political tanks to clear the route. Or you need an alternative route. The Asda Pennyland tanks were displaced by some Thurso councillors plus Mr Smith and once damaged were stopped by the reporter. As far as I can see Asda weren't interested in an alternative route for reasons that are beyond me and their powerful supporters didn't have a Plan B. It doesn't surprise me that such a naive plan failed.

Hotel: anyone who wants to go there (see local plan)..

I must contact ASDA and tell 'm they are naive, opps feel a 31st Poll is coming on

crayola
31-Jan-10, 15:38
You are still blaming the wrong people and trying to fight lost battles.

Asda's Plan A had many obstacles in its path and no Plan B was evident. Making personal comments about me won't get you a shiny new supermarket.

I am sure Asda knew what they were doing but did their supporters?

Phill
31-Jan-10, 15:38
If Asda wanted a store up here they would have one.

My guess is now they, and tesco, have seen just what the market share is, i.e. not a lot.They have both gone away to reconsider their positions.
I don't think the tills at Wick tesco are ringing as often and as loud as they expected.

Tesco's know that another superstore in Thurso will only detract from Wick's takings without bringing in an awful lot more.

crayola
31-Jan-10, 15:39
If Asda wanted a store up here they would have one.
I suspect you're right and that's what I was pushing in my previous posts.

If I were in charge of Asda I too would put most of my effort into getting into the Inverness area first.

It's complex issues again.

Phill
31-Jan-10, 16:03
If I were in charge of Asda I too would put most of my effort into getting into the Inverness area first.

I dunno what Asda/Walmart's objectives are but they are not daft. I also get a little whiff of something iffy with HC & Tesco, but that is an aside, however the Leeds mob will know a lot more about it than us.

There is a lot of game playing going on with the big outfits like these, so they may well just be testing the ground and or ruffling Tesco's feathers.

How they want to achieve their market share could be different from tesco's. Mr T seems to be interested in new build and new locations.

Mr W has very cleverly used the pre planned oversizing of stores to very good effect and increased floor sales area at many of it's existing sites.

It's complex issues again.
Nah, I'm right, simple.

Mr P Cannop
31-Jan-10, 16:34
asda are trying to get into tain

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 16:58
ASDA are part of the most foul, evil and corrupt empire in retail history. They care not one jot for their staff nor the people who produce the goods they sell.

Of course you will all happily overlook that to save a few pence?

Caithness already has more supermarkets that it can sustain.

A market war between these giants really would put the final nail in the coffin for many local retailers.

Of course a lot of the loudest voices in the pro lobby are from people who would not know any of the local retailers; those who arrived in Caithness lately and decided they should have all the amenities they had south, with no consideration for the impact on the local traders.

Phill
31-Jan-10, 17:09
Of course a lot of the loudest voices in the pro lobby are from people who would not know any of the local retailers; those who arrived in Caithness lately and decided they should have all the amenities they had south, with no consideration for the impact on the local traders.

Interesting you say that. Being an engerlish incomer type I moved up here because I loved what it had to offer, without the superstores.
I didn't like the idea of the retail park or Tesco's, hypocritically I use both, but I would have been just as happy without.

I hear, and heard before, many Caithness folk say how the county needed it.

What I am very cautious and worried about (and the council really do need to go south and see what has happened elsewhere to understand) is the pitfall of going retail crazy.
Another retail park has been mentioned on more airport land, a supermarket in Thurso. What next, another retail park in Thurso too

But what then happens is you have a number of failing retail parks and stores, half occupied units with the rest falling into disrepair and it then becomes a catch 22. Add to that a High street of boarded up shops and valueless property with vandalism and crime on the rise.

I for one do not want all the amenities (and crap that goes with them) from the south.

golach
31-Jan-10, 17:13
ASDA are part of the most foul, evil and corrupt empire in retail history. They care not one jot for their staff nor the people who produce the goods they sell.

Can I ask have you ever worked in a Supermarket? I have. In both Sainsburys and ASDA, and may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside. Asda treats its staff the same as most supermarkets do, your not highly paid, you get a corporate uniform, sadly no overtime except under extreme circumstances, subsidised canteen, a bonus every year. not a lot,but many staff enjoy working for Asda I know I did.
Tell me any Retail store that really cares for the people that produce the goods they sell if you can.

golach
31-Jan-10, 17:29
Are you not glad you do not live in Bristol, Tesco city?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/01/30/small-shopkeepers-hit-out-as-tesco-plans-to-open-18th-store-in-bristol-115875-22005770/

Phill
31-Jan-10, 18:06
....... may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside. Asda treats its staff the same as most supermarkets do, your not highly paid, you get a corporate uniform, sadly no overtime except under extreme circumstances, subsidised canteen, a bonus every year.

I was contracted to Asda/Walmart and spent 6 months at Asda House, what an eye opener!

I have to agree with BB!

[evil]

Anji
31-Jan-10, 18:47
I for one do not want all the amenities (and crap that goes with them) from the south.

Hear, hear!

I really do not understand people who move to Caithness to 'get away from it all' and then moan about the lack of facilities.

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 18:59
Can I ask have you ever worked in a Supermarket? I have. In both Sainsburys and ASDA, and may I suggest your talking though the provebial hole in your backside.

Did you deliberately miss the question mark there?

I am deeply offended.

Inverness is also truly a Tesco town, and being a small place you really notice it.

I have not worked in a supermarket. (Regrets, I’ve had a few . . . but that ain’t one of ‘em!)

Guilty as charged for absorbing my information objectively.

Should I desist from tapping into collective knowledge and experience, such as that of the many whose suffering at the receiving end of the evil empire that is Wal-Mart is widely recorded, legally as well as anecdotally?

I will, if you no longer remark on anything you have no first hand knowledge of.
Deal?

As far as the issue of ethical shopping goes, it seems to be quite simple . . . but of course may not be.

Try to buy locally, in terms of the business you buy from and the source of the goods. Further research might be advisable when it comes to animal products.

Avoid supermarkets where possible, but if you really need to use them work out the best bet ethically. There is a lot of research available at the click of yer fair trade mouse pointing out the best and worst.

Guess which end of the scale Wal-Mart puts through the floor?

;)

ShelleyCowie
31-Jan-10, 20:16
asda are trying to get into tain

There is already an Asda in tain :confused Has been for a while.

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 20:20
Well they should give up then.

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 22:48
Still holds? from 'BigPete' 29 Sep 06:

So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!
And he has the audacity to state we are all 'Shallow'!! and 'Knee-jerk reactions' and 'Will live to regret', my God how the man spouts platitudes, is he so totally unaware that the Chamber of Commerce wants ASDA, that The Community Council wants ASDA, that the Mart was TOTALLY unsuitable (access, etc etc) that near 3,000 people signed a petition, who basically does he think he is?
Of course we have two Thurso Councillors who voted against but hey, wait a minute, where do they live?

Local plan! The local plan was put in place when it was envisioned that Dounreay would go on for ever, whoops! no it 'aint, so if you got some supermarket offering to come into Thurso, bite their bleeding hands off! That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???
Green Field site? - Thurso's SURROUNDED by greenfields! A Local Plan is not encased in concrete, things CHANGE (honest), would Pennyland be happy with a great big hotel [permitted] with guests looking into their windows? A noisy sports arena? [permitted].. So we won't see Smith going into ASDA? yeah right!

Yours, a knee-jerker and shallow(er)

Boozeburglar
31-Jan-10, 22:53
Guess what? You are not getting your ASDA. Boo hoo! ;)

bekisman
31-Jan-10, 23:05
Guess what? You are not getting your ASDA. Boo hoo! ;)

Am I bovered?

Phill
31-Jan-10, 23:34
That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???

It always gets me when companies mention jobs being created by whatever they intend to do. And which jobs do they count? The contractors that travel for miles to work on the construction, do they count the jobs that get laid off elsewhere.

And as for Asda millions, do you think they are gonna buy local and support local farmers etc. Nope.
And all the money they take gets wired to the US every Sunday afternoon, not a lot is supporting this local economy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tesco's behave any better.
Asda are stack tat high and sell it in bulk merchants, they are adding to todays and the future health problems of this country, Tesco too are following suit.

Going into treehugginghippy mode, the local councillors should stop taking the brown envelopes and start looking to the future support of the county in more ways than one.
Support local business and produce, get people eating better and healthier simply grown food. We've got enough supermarkets selling processed ready meals and crap snack foods en mass, fiizzy pop & alchypops for pennies and foreign welfare ambiguous meats.

And you know what really gets me going (boy I'm nearly on a rant here) their pork pies. Asda used to sell the best 6 pack of mini Melton Mowbray's this side of....erm Melton. But then they cheapened them and filled them with abattoir floor scrapings 'cos they "rolled back" the price, the bar stewards they are.
Never forgave 'em for that.

Mr P Cannop
31-Jan-10, 23:38
There is already an Asda in tain :confused Has been for a while.

not yet.................. have a look at these reports

http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/caseFile.do?category=application&caseNo=09/00537/PIPSU

ducati
01-Feb-10, 00:02
Just to throw t'pence in. I am an ex Wick retail employee and have discussed business with pretty much all the high streeters. From this and my own experience, and it is very general observation. The more elderly of the population tend to frequent the high street. the ones that value service. Quite a chunk of the population will do anything it seems to avoid shopping local.

Personally I think Wick high street is poorly appointed and not very welcoming but then I don't like pedestrianisation. Just to be even handed I think Thurso is worse.

crayola
01-Feb-10, 00:11
Avoid supermarkets where possible, but if you really need to use them work out the best bet ethically. There is a lot of research available at the click of yer fair trade mouse pointing out the best and worst.
Waitrose are supposed to be the most ethical and I've been shopping there since they opened here a couple of months ago.

I've noticed though that some of their products seem to be identical to M&S products with different labels.

crayola
01-Feb-10, 00:22
Still holds? from 'BigPete' 29 Sep 06:

So Councillor Smith voted against the application [for ASDA] because it was against the "Local Plan" .
However, on the 28th April councillor Smith voted to allow Tesco to build in Wick - inspite of the FACT (I quote) "this does not comply with the Local Plan". How does he explain this totally incomprehensible volte-face? For heavens sake he's a Wick Councillor; votes to allow encroachment on their 'Local Plan' but scuppers up Thurso's!
And he has the audacity to state we are all 'Shallow'!! and 'Knee-jerk reactions' and 'Will live to regret', my God how the man spouts platitudes, is he so totally unaware that the Chamber of Commerce wants ASDA, that The Community Council wants ASDA, that the Mart was TOTALLY unsuitable (access, etc etc) that near 3,000 people signed a petition, who basically does he think he is?
Of course we have two Thurso Councillors who voted against but hey, wait a minute, where do they live?

Local plan! The local plan was put in place when it was envisioned that Dounreay would go on for ever, whoops! no it 'aint, so if you got some supermarket offering to come into Thurso, bite their bleeding hands off! That's Jobs and Hey, seeing that MILLIONS of pounds go south anyway for shopping in Inverness etc, are those councillors so blind they can't see that Thurso folk WILL travel over to Tesco's???
Green Field site? - Thurso's SURROUNDED by greenfields! A Local Plan is not encased in concrete, things CHANGE (honest), would Pennyland be happy with a great big hotel [permitted] with guests looking into their windows? A noisy sports arena? [permitted].. So we won't see Smith going into ASDA? yeah right!

Yours, a knee-jerker and shallow(er)
I must admire your skill at building straw men and shooting at them with tangents. Do you ever address issues head on or do you always pick at nits after the train has long since left the station? Never mind, Tesco will be right next to the station so you might actually catch it next time. :)

Although since the Mart is totally unsuitable I assume you won't actually be shopping there. :lol:

Phill
01-Feb-10, 00:23
the ones that value service.

This is key, despite all the BS that you see in the big stores 9 times out of 10 you cannot beat a smaller, local co' for service. Yes it's gonna cost more, it's obvious, but it's a lot less hassle to sort any problems out.

What we are not realising is where our cash goes ultimately. We want cheap goods, cheap telly's, cheap food and we are happy to troll off to Asda/Tesco/Somerfield etc. to get this. All the while "local"* producers and manufacturers are getting pushed out of the market because they don't employ 8 year olds at tuppence per week to cobble together their designer gear.

Another "local"* dairy farm goes bankrupt because it cannot afford the cost of the steroids that they need to pump into the cattle to keep the milk production high enough to keep the prices low enough for the supermarkets to buy their produce, oh, is that your brother/cousin that has been laid off 'cos you want milk 1p per pint cheaper from the supermarket.

*I'm talking UK wide.

bekisman
01-Feb-10, 01:30
I must admire your skill at building straw men and shooting at them with tangents. Do you ever address issues head on or do you always pick at nits after the train has long since left the station? Never mind, Tesco will be right next to the station so you might actually catch it next time. :)

Although since the Mart is totally unsuitable I assume you won't actually be shopping there. :lol:

Yes I do address issues head on, Doug Wilson Tesco's Corporate Affairs Manager rang me personally to address issues re Tesco at 'the Mart'.. I am nevertheless intrigued Crayola, why you seem to think it pertinent to attempt to impress, no, lets not get too excited; bore, with your juvenile twittering..
And yes atually (sic) I did catch the train, and further down the line joined the sleeper although not really necessary as somnolence was attained by your post. Many salutations for your admiration at my skill - obviously you recognise excellence, and that seemed to be attained without the use of a Poll. Oh well, time for sleep, it's getting late and must keep my eyes off your next post before I hit the hay..
keep smiling

crayola
02-Feb-10, 00:23
Personally I think Wick high street is poorly appointed and not very welcoming but then I don't like pedestrianisation. Just to be even handed I think Thurso is worse.
That's an interesting comparison. I prefer Thurso but that may just be what I'm used to. There doesn't seem to be much in it.

bagpuss
09-Feb-10, 22:06
and nobody mentioned Morrisons, I see......

BINBOB
09-Feb-10, 22:37
and nobody mentioned Morrisons, I see......

Or Sainsburys.........:D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
09-Feb-10, 22:48
Or R S McColl......:lol:

Leanne
09-Feb-10, 22:53
Daft question probably but why would anyone want ASDA? I used to get embarrassed as a kid that my parents shopped there... Or is there no supermarket snobbery up here?

bekisman
09-Feb-10, 23:19
Daft question probably but why would anyone want ASDA? I used to get embarrassed as a kid that my parents shopped there... Or is there no supermarket snobbery up here?

Basically as competition with Tesco and to sell fuel a lot cheaper than the present 'suppliers' in Thurso?

Leanne
09-Feb-10, 23:24
Basically as competition with Tesco and to sell fuel a lott cheaper than the present 'suppliers' in Thurso?

Sainsburys do petrol to at the same price but the Supermarket it tons better.

Tesco's is better than asda but Sainsburys is better than Tescos (IMHO)

annthracks
10-Feb-10, 17:44

There's no supermarket snobbery up here because there're few supermarkets!
:)
For a "big monthly shop" I'd shop at ASDA given the choice, based on cost, then Tesco

annthracks
10-Feb-10, 17:47
Sainsburys do petrol to at the same price but the Supermarket it tons better.

Tesco's is better than asda but Sainsburys is better than Tescos (IMHO)

but then you're paying for that difference. Sainsury is more expensive than Tesco, Tesco is more expensive than ASDA, CO-OP somewhere in the middle with very little choice, and then you've got Morrisons, Aldi/Lidl

annthracks
10-Feb-10, 17:48
Or R S McColl......:lol:

BTW, it's "They're", not "their"

Boozeburglar
10-Feb-10, 18:47
BTW, it's "They're", not "their"

What does that matter?

Leanne
10-Feb-10, 18:57
but then you're paying for that difference. Sainsury is more expensive than Tesco, Tesco is more expensive than ASDA, CO-OP somewhere in the middle with very little choice, and then you've got Morrisons, Aldi/Lidl

If I were city based still I would rather pay for the difference. Instead I'd rather do a few bits and bobs in the Supermarket, shop locally for fruit, veg, meat and fish and get the occasional food parcel sent up from my mum ;)

Boozeburglar
10-Feb-10, 19:03
Leanne, I shop in Sainsburys for what I cannot get from the market, I find it as cheap as Tescos, although I hate using supermarkets I have enough experience of the two to make that comparison.

Of course, I am basing my comparison on quality, and that is not going to win over people who shop in Farmfoods or Iceland, is it?

;)

annthracks
11-Feb-10, 12:58
What does that matter?

It probably doesn't, but I have an obsessive compulsive disorder about "there, they're and their", and I have to correct people on what is obviously not a typographical error.
Other spelling mistakes whether through lack of education (ignorance) or laziness (eg. txt spk) I can and do ignore.
:-)

ducati
11-Feb-10, 13:06
It probably doesn't, but I have an obsessive compulsive disorder about "there, they're and their", and I have to correct people on what is obviously not a typographical error.
Other spelling mistakes whether through lack of education (ignorance) or laziness (eg. txt spk) I can and do ignore.
:-)

Thare, Thare

crayola
13-Feb-10, 01:51
I get embarrassed on the rare occasions I shop there now. I keep my head down and hope no-one I know sees me. [para]

joxville
13-Feb-10, 03:04
I get embarrassed on the rare occasions I shop there now. I keep my head down and hope no-one I know sees me. [para]

Tell the truth, you only shop there in the hope someone pats your bum. :)

crayola
13-Feb-10, 15:35
Tell the truth, you only shop there in the hope someone pats your bum. :)
In Govan? I'd be out of there faster than an offended orger on ice. And I'm not talking about frozen water here. :eek:

crayola
21-Feb-10, 15:42
Some websites beggar belief. Look at this

Asda Jobs In Thurso (http://www.mygraduatejobsearch.co.uk/Asda_Jobs_In_Thurso)

Look at all the companies advertising Graduate Jobs in Thurso (http://www.mygraduatejobsearch.co.uk/vacancies/Thurso-Jobs.html)

How do they get away with this?

Bbodygood
04-Mar-10, 10:02
You are not right. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

Tom Cornwall
05-Mar-10, 11:23
the council in north norfolk have just turned down Tesco's application for the umpteenth time..apparently Tesco are planning another appeal...it costs councils millions to try to stand up against Tesco when they want to put a supermarket up

crayola
02-May-10, 14:11
Is the party still on or was Tesco's application to build a superstore on the former Thurso Mart site just a spoiler to prevent Asda getting a foothold in the North as was suggested at the time? :confusedI wrote the above nearly a year ago and nothing seems to have changed since then.

Friday's Groat carried the story..............

Superstore giant denies 'land-banking' claim (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8097/Superstore_giant_denies__land-banking__claim.html)
Published: 30 April, 2010

The deserted former auction mart site in Thurso where Tesco has planning permission to build a supermarket and four-pump petrol station. John Macrae

TESCO is facing claims that its purchase of the former auction mart site in Thurso is a ruse to prevent a rival supermarket starting up in the town.

The charge of "land-banking" was yesterday scotched by the food chain, which has full planning consent to redevelop the ground, off Ormlie Road. It insists it remains committed to building a new superstore to replace its current outlet in the town.

Tesco came under fire at this week's meeting of Thurso Community Council, which previously unsuccessfully supported a competing bid by Asda to build a store on farmland at Pennyland, on the outskirts of the town.

Vice-chairman Bert Macleod pulled no punches at Tuesday evening's meeting.

"They are just land-banking to keep Asda out," he claimed. "They have no intention of doing anything in the near future. I know a lot of people who are of a similar mind to me."

Local Highland councillor Donnie Mackay said he is concerned at slippage in Tesco's schedule for developing the auction mart site.

.............Read the full story at Superstore giant denies 'land-banking' claim (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8097/Superstore_giant_denies__land-banking__claim.html)

Are Tesco Land Banking? Is the delay due to the recession? Or are Thurso Community Council refusing to take their teeth out of a battle they lost years ago?

What do you think?

joxville
02-May-10, 14:39
I think there should be a date set at which they must lay foundations or planning permission is revoked permanently and the land must be sold on the open market, even if it means it's a competitor that buys the land. Tesco own a piece of land close to 1/4 mile from where I live, they've owned it for 11 years, but made no attempt to develop it. That to me is wrong when the land could be used by another business or build houses upon.

Lavenderblue2
02-May-10, 14:46
Crayola, I think this article (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1715804)in yesterdays P & J says it all.....

It makes me mad to think that we have little option but to continue to use their stores here in the North.

crayola
02-May-10, 15:16
Crayola, I think this article (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1715804)in yesterdays P & J says it all.....

It makes me mad to think that we have little option but to continue to use their stores here in the North.
I see what you mean. :eek:

Perambulate
03-May-10, 16:57
has anyone ever noticed though that if tescos want to build a store they usually just seem to get the green light regardless of what us bottom feeders think or want? i think the highland council and tescos have a wee secret deal on the go. Let the conspirciy theories commence

truckster2007
04-May-10, 00:32
well in the p and j it is saying that tesco are asking the council in tain to look again and decide again if they will let asda build in tain so this is just showing that they do worry. i just wish we had some where in thurso for cheap kids clothes and wick tesco isn't that great 4 boys clothes

Baconbuttie
06-May-10, 22:48
Now that Tesco has protested again. The powers that be in Highland Council are bound to reject the application, just wait and see. I bet Asda dont get in at Tain. Tesco can do what they want in Highland Region, why is that I wonder.????

crayola
04-Jun-10, 00:44
After all the fuss..............

Disbelief at new Tesco store plans (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8214/Disbelief_at_new_Tesco_store_plans.html)

THE effect on Thurso of Tesco's flit to the derelict auction mart site should not be significant, it has been claimed.

Community councillor Don Smith was speaking after the retail giant confirmed it plans to have its new base open by the spring of next year.

Speaking at last Tuesday evening's meeting of Thurso Community Council, Mr Smith said: "I can't see Tesco having much effect as they not going into the town centre. They are not going to be much different from their current site at Millbank."

Well well well, after all the fighting and all the arguments the effect on Thurso of Tesco's flit to the derelict auction mart site should not be significant.

God help all you Tesco fans. The current Thurso Tesco is one of the least enticing I've ever had the misfortune to shop in. :(

jaykay
04-Jun-10, 08:45
I tend to agree with the viewpoint expressed by Mr Bert Macleod

"Mr MacLeod told fellow members: "I'll believe it when I see the machines in action building the new store. I don't believe anything they say."

Tesco may well start tidying up the site this month to keep the Council off their backs but whether or not they ever build a store on it remains to be seen. My own thoughts are that Tesco will "play for time" using all sorts of ploys. Why would they go to the bother of buiding a new store that is not a lot bigger than the one they already have in Thurso?
Like Mr Macleod I will beleive it when I actually see the new store being built.

crayola
04-Jun-10, 23:54
Like Mr Macleod I will beleive it when I actually see the new store being built.Likewise but there's a recession on so they have a good excuse for a delay and a long recession could be spun out into a longer excuse. And long excuses can spin out into permanent ones.

Anyways they must have a huge fraction of the Caithness supermarket market already and with no competition on the big supermarket front they can afford to wait before they pick up the rest.

cazmanian_minx
22-Jun-10, 14:55
Tesco's now asking for a judicial review of the Tain ASDA:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/10375986.stm

crayola
27-Jun-10, 14:54
This has been dragging on for years. The Tain ASDA was approved by Highland Council on Wednesday 14 March 2007!

Tain ASDA Supermarket Planning Application (14/03/07) (http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2007/March/2007-03-14-10.htm)

Following a hearings procedure held today (Wednesday 14 March 2007), members of The Highland Council’s Planning and Development Committee have approved an application by ASDA to build a supermarket with petrol station on a 6.5 hectare site in Tain. The consent is to be made subject to a number of planning conditions to be drawn up by the Director of Planning and Development.

The site for the proposed new store is on the south side of the town and is currently used as agricultural land which is highlighted in the recently adopted Easter Ross Local Plan as land for future housing expansion and amenity area.

The application will now be referred to the Scottish Executive as the proposed car parking exceeds the national maximum car parking standards laid down by the Executive.

The recommendation presented to the Committee by Planning Officials was to refuse the application however at the end of the hearings procedure Councillor Richard Durham seconded by Councillor Alan Torrance moved a motion for approval.

The motion was approved 20 votes to 8.

Whatever the relation between Highland Council and Tesco, and even if ASDA as I suspect have been incompetent, the outcome has been ridiculous. No wonder there are accusations of corruption.

jaykay
01-Jul-10, 16:57
"WORK on a long-awaited new Tesco store in Thurso will begin next month, and the supermarket giant has confirmed a scheduled opening date of spring next year

"Clearance of the old mart site on Ormlie Road will begin within weeks, with construction of the 25,000-square-foot store starting in August, according to Tesco's corporate affairs manager, Douglas Wilson".

The above statements were made in May. I notice there is still no sign of anything happening at the mart site so obviously the work that was meant to start in June did not happen.
Could Douglas Wilson Tesco's corporate affairs manager be telling lies? Surely never!

Sara Jevo
01-Jul-10, 17:03
How much of the Caithness economy relies on public funding?

It's probably higher than most other parts of Scotland, which itself is above average for the UK.

Vulcan, Dounreay, council, NHS, college, schools . . .add in the private contractors who do work for the public sector . . .

The recession is about to sweep the public sector with a vengeance - and with it the revenue forecasts that people like Tesco will have based their investment decisions on.

glaikit
01-Jul-10, 18:25
Agree with Sarajevo. Watch Tesco pack their hankie on a stick when the money runs dry and head out of Caithness. They have a history of it and are a completely unscrupulous company, who don't give a jot for local communities, or their employees. They'll close down all the competition, including petrol stations and leave us with nowt. In fact I'm amazed there are still petrol stations left in Wick.

bekisman
01-Jul-10, 21:40
Agree with Sarajevo. Watch Tesco pack their hankie on a stick when the money runs dry and head out of Caithness. They have a history of it and are a completely unscrupulous company, who don't give a jot for local communities, or their employees. They'll close down all the competition, including petrol stations and leave us with nowt. In fact I'm amazed there are still petrol stations left in Wick.

What a load of tosh!
"They have a history of it" - go on then give details.
"They'll close down all the competition, including petrol stations and leave us with nowt. In fact I'm amazed there are still petrol stations left in Wick." - go on then list all of the towns/cities in UK where this has happened.

Face facts; Tesco (for all it's faults) has been instrumental in bringing down the cost of fuel in Wick, And when Tesco, Thurso, comes on line the fuel there will be reasonable too. Were YOU here in 2004? "In February 2004, the average price of unleaded petrol was 76.88p per litre. The cheapest was to be found in Thanet, Kent, at an average price of 70.80p, while the most expensive was Thurso in Caithness at an average price of 85.90p." And in 2005 "all the garages [Thurso] charged the same price which was 12p per litre above Inverness prices".

Sara Jevo
01-Jul-10, 21:53
Bekisman . . . Tesco are one of the most ruthless corporations on the planet today, a company whose business is designed to drive down the costs of its supply chain irrespective of the environmental or social consequences in order to maximise its profits.

The trail of destruction left by Tesco can be seen in towns across Britain where local supply chains and traders have been eroded and destroyed by the enormous buying power that comes with being a global corporation.

It creates an illusion in the short-term of being good for the customer - but the whole community suffers in the long-term as Tesco begins to monopolise and feels secure enough to raise its prices.

ducati
02-Jul-10, 00:22
Bekisman . . . Tesco are one of the most ruthless corporations on the planet today, a company whose business is designed to drive down the costs of its supply chain irrespective of the environmental or social consequences in order to maximise its profits.

The trail of destruction left by Tesco can be seen in towns across Britain where local supply chains and traders have been eroded and destroyed by the enormous buying power that comes with being a global corporation.

It creates an illusion in the short-term of being good for the customer - but the whole community suffers in the long-term as Tesco begins to monopolise and feels secure enough to raise its prices.

Where is the evidence for the raising of prices? Tesco need to keep cheap because that is what their customers want. Hence the £1.00 chicken etc.

If there was no demand they would change their business model.

There is no more competetive business than grocery-that is a fact.

glaikit
02-Jul-10, 13:18
Thank you Sara Jevo:) It's too hot to argue the toss today and I've not got the stomach for it. You put it very well.

bekisman
02-Jul-10, 19:37

1. 'Tesco are one of the most ruthless corporations on the planet today' (thought ASDA/Wallmart were?)
2. 'a company whose business is designed to drive down the costs of its supply chain irrespective of the environmental or social consequences in order to maximise its profits'. (is there a major supermarket who doesn't?)
3 'The trail of destruction left by Tesco can be seen in towns across Britain where local supply chains and traders have been eroded and destroyed by the enormous buying power that comes with being a global corporation.' ASDA. Sainsbury's Morrisons?
4. 'It creates an illusion in the short-term of being good for the customer' (how long is short term?)
5. 'but the whole community suffers in the long-term as Tesco begins to monopolise and feels secure enough to raise its prices.' (name these places)
Presume you have never, will never, use any facilities of Tesco's?

glaikit
02-Jul-10, 19:43
Coop. Coop treat their suppliers in an ethical fashion, do not invest in any dodgy investments and try to use local suppliers when they can.
They're not the cheapest by any means but they ain't grinding farmers et al into the ground either.

Tugmistress
02-Jul-10, 20:27
on a slightly diferent note i have had this emailed from a friend that is not registered on the org, i must admit i would be worried too if the do build ........ copied and pasted below :)

If I was a parent sending my kid to Miller or the High School even Pennyland I would be really worried.
How can this information (there are 100s more articles) be out there and planning permission not take account of this data? If Tesco is built I would say the traffic on these roads would probably double.

Tesco if built will affect kids for years to come... just madness even at present actually as that road is so busy and all the kids walking past. If my kids were younger I would not let them go near the place. This has made me really mad.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0603-08.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/336738.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/369169.stm

Puzzled
02-Jul-10, 22:10
[QUOTE= Hence the £1.00 chicken .[/QUOTE]

Never found one of them!

Sara Jevo
03-Jul-10, 06:42
1. 'Tesco are one of the most ruthless corporations on the planet today' (thought ASDA/Wallmart were?)
2. 'a company whose business is designed to drive down the costs of its supply chain irrespective of the environmental or social consequences in order to maximise its profits'. (is there a major supermarket who doesn't?)
3 'The trail of destruction left by Tesco can be seen in towns across Britain where local supply chains and traders have been eroded and destroyed by the enormous buying power that comes with being a global corporation.' ASDA. Sainsbury's Morrisons?
4. 'It creates an illusion in the short-term of being good for the customer' (how long is short term?)
5. 'but the whole community suffers in the long-term as Tesco begins to monopolise and feels secure enough to raise its prices.' (name these places)
Presume you have never, will never, use any facilities of Tesco's?

1. This thread happens to be about Tesco. Tesco and 3 or 4 other global supermarket corporations now control about two-thirds of the world's food supply.

2. Yes, there are lots, the Co-operative for example. It is an ethical business and is not driven by a need to satisify rapacious City investors. The problem with chains the size of Tesco, however, is that they become so large other chains find it harder to compete with them. Eventually, you end up with a handful of huge companies controlling the food supply.

Diversity is as important to the health of commerce as it is to nature. These huge corporations become predators, driven by the continual need to return profitability and growth, and high share prices for city investors. The market has failed when a handful of companies are allowed to dominate in this way. They become "too big to fail" and their power affects entire national economies.

3. It isn't just Tesco, but Tesco is the biggest culprit. Very few planning authorities have shown resistance to the power of these brands.

4 Until their competitors in that locality have been wiped out.

5. Look at the investigation of the supermarkets by the Competition Commission and the references to "price flexing", for example, "the practice of varying prices in different geographical locations in the light of local competitive conditions, such variation not being related to costs' - i.e. they charge whatever they can get away with once the competition is wiped out.

Similarly - and Tesco is not unique - competition between supermarkets is limited to a few items and "loss leaders" designed to tempt you into the store. There is very little competition across the rest of the range.

I've bought things in Tesco, yes. But usually only when I'm on my travels and I've run out of something, e.g. ciggies. The amount I spend in Tesco probably amounts to less than one per cent of my weekly shop, since I avoid it most of the time.

bekisman
03-Jul-10, 09:28
It's a pity you're not so, shall we say, 'thoughtful, ref your 'ciggies' origination...

Problems in Tobacco Production
Child Labour

The International Labour Office reported that the most child-labourers work in agriculture, which is one of the most hazardous types of work.

The tobacco industry houses some of these working children. There is widespread use of children on farms in Argentina, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Malawi, the United States and Zimbabwe.
While some of these children work with their families on small family-owned farms, others work on large plantations. In late 2009 reports were released by the London-based human-rights group Plan International, claiming that child labour was common on Malawi (producer of 1.8% of the world’s tobacco) tobacco farms.
The organization interviewed 44 teens, who worked full-time on farms during the 2007-2008 growing season. The child-labourers complained of low pay, long hours as well as physical and sexual abuse by their supervisors. They also reported suffering from “green tobacco sickness,” a form of nicotine poisoning. When wet leaves are handled, nicotine from the leaves gets absorbed in the skin and causes nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Children were exposed to 50-cigarettes worth of nicotine through direct contact with tobacco leaves.
This level of nicotine in children can permanently alter brain structure and function.
Families that farm tobacco often have to make the difficult decision between having their children work or go to school. Unfortunately working often beats education because tobacco farmers, especially in the developing world, cannot make enough money from their crop to survive without the cheap labour that children provide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco)

Sara Jevo
03-Jul-10, 09:29
Bekisman - perhaps straw man would be a better moniker for you.

bekisman
03-Jul-10, 10:19
Bekisman - perhaps straw man would be a better moniker for you.

OK descend to abuse, could say 'Sarajevo' might be misconstrued as synonymous with this; http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/easteurope/SarajevoSiege.CP.html (http://www.thenagain.info/webchron/easteurope/SarajevoSiege.CP.html)
Or Neo-Luddism against supermarkets and their offering of access to affordable items to the masses - if the demand is not there, it dies...
(And that's nothing to do with the detailed conversation I had with Doug Wilson; Tesco corporate affairs manager ref Thurso Tesco a few years back) - yes I do 'get involved' unlike some who may spout from the back row..

Have a nice day, Sara, I'm off over to Tesco's.. ;)

Sara Jevo
03-Jul-10, 10:30
I do like that link lol . . .

the beautiful Sarajevo is an often admired site of intellectuals and peoples of all races

Whereas as a straw man . . .

To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet weaker proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position

Hmmmm . . . enjoy the shopping

Tubthumper
03-Jul-10, 11:04
Auction mart site in Thurso sold for £3,917,580 on the 14th May 2010.

I thought Tesco had bought the site and it had all been sorted out yonks ago?

Still it gives an idea of how much property is worth in the area. If Tesco are investing that plus the cost of building, staffing & stocking a supermarket, they must have some confidence that Caithness has some kind of future!

Sara Jevo
03-Jul-10, 12:36
Auction mart site in Thurso sold for £3,917,580 on the 14th May 2010.

I thought Tesco had bought the site and it had all been sorted out yonks ago?

Still it gives an idea of how much property is worth in the area. If Tesco are investing that plus the cost of building, staffing & stocking a supermarket, they must have some confidence that Caithness has some kind of future!

It's less than half what Tesco pays its top man in the US.

Spotlight falls on £7m payout for Tesco's man in America (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jul/02/tesco-tim-mason-executive-pay)

bekisman
03-Jul-10, 19:13
I do like that link lol . . .

the beautiful Sarajevo is an often admired site of intellectuals and peoples of all races

Whereas as a straw man . . .

To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet weaker proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position

Hmmmm . . . enjoy the shopping

Hmm, no, I was referring to "On April 6, 1992, Serb militants opened fire on thousands of peace demonstrators in Sarajevo, killing at least five and wounding 30. This began a siege that has been termed "the worst in Europe since the end of World War II".

'Straw man' nah, not bothered with 'refuting your original position' re reply #116, as you never really answered - so the recourse to the source of your 'ciggies' was really just a bit of tiffin, before I drove over to Tesco's and got my diesel at 115.9p a litre - well I know you don't use Tesco fuel, but seems a bit foolish to pay an extra 7p a litre - but then, one makes one's choice.. ;)

crayola
29-Aug-10, 00:49
I haven't visited for some time so please forgive the naivety of this question.......

Has demolition or any other work started on the old Mart site or are Tesco still dancing to the same old tune?

Metalattakk
29-Aug-10, 03:55
I haven't visited for some time so please forgive the naivety of this question.......

Has demolition or any other work started on the old Mart site or are Tesco still dancing to the same old tune?

Hang on, I'll take a deek out my back window....ach, it's dark. :(

As of last daylight though, there has been no movement on the site at all. None whatsoever.

Nichts, nada, rien, niente, ничего, etc., etc., etc.

crayola
29-Aug-10, 13:34
Thanks MA. I'll take that as a 'no' then. :D

Did you not even see any ghosts of sheepies past?

Metalattakk
29-Aug-10, 23:49
Och, the sheepies were'na too bad. The coos were a damn sight worser. Fit a din! :D

Sara Jevo
01-Sep-10, 17:47
What was the name of the property company that acquired the mart site? Was it Balmore?

That must've been getting on for 10 years ago now.

Anyway, Balmore it turns out is a front for Tesco.

New Tesco town row as secret land deal is revealed (http://www.scotsman.com/news/New-39Tesco-town39-row-as.6505632.jp) - Scotsman

Tesco planning permission dirty tricks row (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=513326&in_page_id=2&expand=true) - This is Money

It suggests the acquisition of the site years ago was to deprive others (e.g. Asda). If Tesco was serious about developing the site, the store would've been built ages ago.

crayola
03-Sep-10, 21:45
No it wasn't Balmore. It was Miller Developments (http://www.miller.co.uk/tesco-for-thurso.aspx) whom I have dealt with professionally and they are as far as I know a bona fide property developer with the usual land-grabbing and exploitational tendencies.

According to the Groat the grave dancing continues unabated......

Chamber 'not getting full story' from Tesco (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8621/Chamber__not_getting_full_story__from_Tesco.html)

In a statement to the John O'Groat Journal a Tesco spokesperson said: "Tesco has an ongoing dialogue with the community council regarding progress in Thurso and we can confirm that we will shortly be securing the site to allow us to move the scheme forward. Tesco remains fully committed to delivering the new store and petrol station in Thurso."For those lucky souls that don't suffer corporate botox on a daily basis this can be loosely translated as...........

Tesco is still evading the question that Thurso Community Council has asked for the umpteenth time and we can confirm that we haven't done anything and we have no intention of doing anything soon. And that includes having no intention of selling the site to a rival that might open a new store and petrol station there before we get around to thinking about it again one day. We'll put up a bigger fence to keep them out if we have to.

crayola
02-Oct-10, 01:04
The supermarket saga continues to be stopped dead in its tracks:

From 'Tesco has broken every promise made' (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8728/_Tesco_has_broken_every_promise_made_.html) (courtesy of the Courier)

Despite repeated attempts, a Tesco spokesman was yesterday unavailable for comment.

However, a company representative said earlier this month: "Tesco has an ongoing dialogue with the community council regarding progress in Thurso and we can confirm that we will shortly be securing the site to allow us to move the scheme forward.

"Tesco remains fully committed to delivering the new store and petrol station in Thurso."
The translation of this into plain English is the same as the translation in my previous post. Except that they seem to have dropped their commitment to build a big fence to keep out Asda. Or chavs or gangs or whatever...............

Meanwhile I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of being a lifelong resident of Ormlie Road. I suppose that could be something to be proud of. And why not? The man in question is 51 (allegedly) so he's only a few years older than me. I wonder if I knew him. Or if I ever snogged him. If I did it wasn't in Ormlie Road because I never snogged anyone there.

I'm still in love with John Rosie. ;)

crayola
10-Oct-10, 14:16
I don't take any pleasure in drawing your attention to the Tesco train driving dead in its tracks but this was oh so predictable. :(

Supermarket giant under pressure over derelict site
Published: 04/10/2010 10:45

Press & Journal, Aberdeen
Tesco is coming under pressure to address safety concerns about the derelict site of its proposed new supermarket in Thurso.

A community representative claims that the use of the ground as a shortcut by local school pupils could result in a serious accident.

Thurso Community Council vice-chairman Bert Macleod also alleged that the retail giant is "land-banking" to prevent other supermarkets developing the former auction mart site, off Ormlie Road.

In August last year, Tesco was given detailed planning consent for the 25,000sq ft store and four pump petrol station. But construction has not yet started.

Mr Macleod said: "I firmly believe that they have no intention of doing anything with the site. They have got the land and nobody else can do anything with it. We, however, are concerned about the state that the site has been left in. It needs to be tidied up and made safe as a matter of priority."

Apart from being an eyesore, he said, its regular use by school pupils was a major concern.

He said: "There are droves of kids going through the site and past the station when cars and taxis are reversing and manoeuvring. It's an accident waiting to happen."

The community council is making a further approach to Tesco to press for action.

Local Highland councillors are, meanwhile, to make a fresh bid to get a timetable from Tesco about its plans for the site.

Thurso member John Rosie said: "The site is a disgrace. It's full of weeds and the house in it is becoming dilapidated and a target for vandals.

"It's totally unacceptable, and we want to know what their plans are."

Council colleague Donnie Mackay claims Tesco should compensate the community in some form for the condition the site has been left in.

"They should offer to provide, say a local playpark, for the mess they have left the site in," he said.

The site has lain derelict since the mart closed four years ago.

No one from Tesco was yesterday available for comment.

Caithness Chamber of Commerce - News Archive (http://www.caithnesschamber.com/news/index.asp?Article=1074)

flash
18-Oct-10, 15:16
Was passing the old mart site today and I see workmen are starting to tidy the site. One of them was telling me they are going to put up hoarding and begin demolition soon, but building probably wont start until next financial year

crayola
30-Oct-10, 17:40
Thanks for that info flash. I'm still catching up on the news here.

Are they only building a fence for now or are they demolishing and tidying the site too?

Vistravi
12-Nov-10, 12:31
Forget asda and tesco i want netto! It's a great shop for bargains!:)

Leanne
12-Nov-10, 18:42
Forget asda and tesco i want netto! It's a great shop for bargains!:)

And an Aldi!

Vistravi
12-Nov-10, 20:59
need makro too, wanna shop for live lobsters!

bekisman
19-Nov-10, 17:46
Do my eyes deceive me? was being driven into Thurso and went past the Thurso Tesco site, with the high boarding around - however the entrance gate was open and I could see diggers etc demolishing the structures there - am I right? 'cos it's about bleeding time, - sooner their fuel outlet is up and running and the usual long-standing fuel rip-off from Bridge End etc continues, the longer Mrs Beks and I will be commuting to Wick (not just to save the pennies, but to stop lining the pockets..)

WICKER10
19-Nov-10, 18:25
Think they are just cleaning the site up to stop the council being on there back.

Walter Ego
19-Nov-10, 21:04
Think they are just cleaning the site up to stop the council being on there back.

Like the 'New development' at the Dominos site in Wick......

bekisman
23-Nov-10, 19:04
Was at the Thurso railway station this afternoon - noticed a lot of diggers and machinery on the site and what looks like erecting red-painted upright girders?

mrlennie
23-Nov-10, 19:19
Heard someone saying today that this was going to be the most environmentally unfriendly Tesco yet. They are putting up windmills to convert electricity INTO wind...

Tatbabe
23-Nov-10, 19:41
guess Tesco getting the go for their new market is all political (and maybe corruption?) - can't see politicians nowadays really voting for what the people want who voted for them ...

Garnet
23-Nov-10, 21:02
It has been said on this site that it may be better if Asda was here...did anyone see 'Watchdog' last thursday? Asda was getting 'seven bells knocked out of them' because of their delivery setup, it seems they've been 'adding on' unordered items and of course charging for them. I also personaly know of one such person who has been sent £13 worth of 'out of date' goods. On contacting ASDA four times there still has been no reply..... SO be careful wwhat you wish for, just a warning then, ok. :confused

ducati
24-Nov-10, 13:33
Was at the Thurso railway station this afternoon - noticed a lot of diggers and machinery on the site and what looks like erecting red-painted upright girders?

I looked closely today, sadly they are girders from the building they are demolishing. Used to be a backpackers hostel?

bekisman
24-Nov-10, 17:17
I looked closely today, sadly they are girders from the building they are demolishing. Used to be a backpackers hostel?
Oh well never mind; wishful thinking ;)

crayola
27-Nov-10, 02:00
It has been said on this site that it may be better if Asda was here...did anyone see 'Watchdog' last thursday? Asda was getting 'seven bells knocked out of them' because of their delivery setup, it seems they've been 'adding on' unordered items and of course charging for them. I also personaly know of one such person who has been sent £13 worth of 'out of date' goods. On contacting ASDA four times there still has been no reply..... SO be careful wwhat you wish for, just a warning then, ok. :confusedIt depends on where you live. ASDA delivery is good in this area and certainly better than the shambles that Sainsbury's run. But believe it or not, by far the best around here is Tesco. :lol:

crayola
23-Jan-11, 03:04
I haven't heard any news of Tesco's progress for a long time.

What's happening on the old Mart site this year? Have they demolished the buildings and secured the site against the ghosts of sheepies past? Is any passer-by with an Asda carrier bag dragged through the fence and re-educated by every little yelps. :confused

gollach
23-Jan-11, 04:19
They cleared the site but all heavy machinery was moved out during the Christmas holidays. I've not seen any movement there this month - has anyone else?

crayola
23-Jan-11, 14:51
Thanks for the update goll.

If Tesco aren't going to build in the forseeable future perhaps I could establish the Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft on the site. It's so close to the high school and North Highland College that we could share facilities.

http://i51.tinypic.com/28hzqm1.png
CSSW

crayola
30-May-11, 10:43
Is there any construction activity from Tesco on Ormlie Road yet?

Kodiak
30-May-11, 10:45
None that I can see.

Cattach
30-May-11, 10:47

Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.

Eilanboy
30-May-11, 15:14
Far from being childish it is a proven fact that in other areas Tesco have landbanked to keep competitors out. While this may not be certain in the Thurso case it is certainly not to be dismissed with such silly comment.
Totally agree Cattach though can,t think of a site anywhere else in the north that Tesco have acquired and taken so long to build on.Cannot see them ever building as they appear to be quite content with a small store in Thurso and a larger one in Wick,.Build a larger one in Thurso which will stop all the people coming through to Wick and that one will run at a loss along with the new one.Don,t think Caithness could support two large Tesco stores.
Now if it was Asda!!!!!!!!!!!!! wishful thinking.Ah well it is not to far to Tain.

Walter Ego
31-May-11, 07:10
Ah...

"If only we had an Asda/bigger Tescos/high speed rail link/less incomers/more flights/no ugly people/dual carriageway to Inverness/hover underpants....."

It would be grand, wouldn't it?

....Wouldn't it?:confused

Cattach
31-May-11, 09:22
The whole of the bottom of Pennyland estate was against it as were many in the Burnside estates and it was against the local plan. The politics was a long shot and they lost. Or hadn't you noticed?

It's a complex issue whether or not you appreciate that.

Those against were people who bought their Dounreay houses at knock down prices and then wanted to keep evryone else out. Also one house was being sold by someone with an interest in a refusal to develp and another person on the council living in Burnside voted too. Democracy!!!

Walter Ego
01-Jun-11, 21:56
Those against were people who bought their Dounreay houses at knock down prices and then wanted to keep evryone else out. Also one house was being sold by someone with an interest in a refusal to develp and another person on the council living in Burnside voted too. Democracy!!!

Do you own a pitchfork?

crayola
12-Jun-11, 17:06
Thanks to everyone for your contributions. Special thanks to those that sent information privately.

I wouldn't like Asda in front of my house if I lived at the bottom of Pennyland. The view from there is special and it should be preserved. Asda would be in Thurso by now if they'd gone along with the local plan and applied to build near BT. Blame Asda not your former elected representatives and not your neighbours.

Out-of-galaxy supermarkets are the new big thing here and I shop in Andromeda nowadays. :)

Cattach
12-Jun-11, 18:54

Backpackers Hostel??? News to me.

Bobinovich
12-Jun-11, 19:18
No it wasn't lol, there used to be a largish (5' x 4' IIRC) painted wooden board up advertising Sandra's Backpackers Hostel many moons ago. I'm sure this is what Duke will have seen.

ducati
12-Jun-11, 19:38
No it wasn't lol, there used to be a largish (5' x 4' IIRC) painted wooden board up advertising Sandra's Backpackers Hostel many moons ago. I'm sure this is what Duke will have seen.

Yep that is what I did see.

chrisupyonder
14-Jun-11, 04:16
So if/when Tesco build another store, what will happen to the existing Tesco in Thurso?
It is unlikely that another supermarket will go in there. Look what's happening to Haldanes in Wick. They did not last long.

Chris.

crayola
17-Jun-11, 09:13
There was a rumour that a new high school would be built on the site of the old Tesco. That seemed unlikely at the time if only due to reasons of space. It seems even more unlikely now but you never know with large business empires like Tesco.I didn't think Haldane's in Wick had a hope in hell and unfortunately for them that was the case. :(

crayola
01-Jul-11, 11:00
The Courier reported this week that the Millbank Tesco is up for sale. The actual advertisement says 'to let/may sell'.

bekisman
01-Jul-11, 11:03
See #10 last paragraph

crayola
09-Sep-11, 15:56
Has building started on the Mart site or have miracles not yet made it past Inverness?

crayola
29-Jan-12, 17:38
I heard three snippets of information this week. One is that Tesco are retrenching and have cancelled their new-build programme for the forseeable future. The second is that Asda is on the warpath and the north is in their targets again. The third is the same as the second with Asda replaced by ...... Sainsbury's. :)

Chalkie
29-Jan-12, 18:33
Bring it on!!! Asda or Sainsburys, I dont care which, as long as its up here.

bingocrazy
17-Feb-12, 19:42
I am sure i read somewhere that tesco's are planning to build before christmas and yes they did buy to keep asda away as they thought if asda came up here then they would go out off buisness, but dont get me wrong i might have read it wrong and if i have then i do apologise.

crayola
28-Mar-12, 08:55
I hear the inevitable has happened and the Ormlie Road site has been targeted by vandals and graffiti artists. :(

sistevens
28-Mar-12, 15:46
I hear the inevitable has happened and the Ormlie Road site has been targeted by vandals and graffiti artists. :(

Well at least somebody is doing something with the site

crayola
18-Apr-12, 00:22
Well at least somebody is doing something with the siteWell yes, but it's not what we had hoped for.......

I'm pleased to note that our prospective Lib Dem councillor (http://nicknoble.mycouncillor.org.uk/2012/04/06/old-auction-mart-ormlie-road/) is doing his best to keep Tesco honest but it appears that nothing has changed since I started this thread. Which is sad but predictable. :(

On the other hand we should note that Roger Saxon voted against the ASDA plan that would have avoided this predictable mess that Tesco have created.

Nick Noble
18-Apr-12, 08:14
Unfortunately Tesco don't want to talk to me anymore. No reply to emails since January, no response to phone calls either.But that will not stop me trying!

mi16
18-Apr-12, 09:33
Perhaps Tesco realise that speaking to the Condems is pointless.

Phill
18-Apr-12, 09:37
Speak to Mr Clarke

Seen here talking cobblers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17752389

gerry4
18-Apr-12, 10:14
Unfortunately Tesco don't want to talk to me anymore. No reply to emails since January, no response to phone calls either.But that will not stop me trying!

Thanks for trying. It does need sorting out. If you get elected will you try to get the council to tell them build or planning permission will be withdrawn?

Nick Noble
18-Apr-12, 11:25
My current understanding is that building works have commenced the test for that is very low level, and the demolition of the existing buildings and the removal and breakup of the concrete areas probably is sufficient to pass that test.

If building works have commenced then my understanding is that planning permission cannot be withdrawn. If the works have not commenced then if I remember correctly permission has already lapsed.

What I would like to see is for the council to use its compulsory purchase powers to acquire the site to develop it as a combined sport/leisure/theatre centre. The need for such a facility in Thurso was clearly identified in a report dating back to 2008, the prefered location was identified as close to the high school, the old mart site would seem ideal.

By acquiring the site and developing it in this way the council will create short term construction jobs, long term jobs to staff the centre, promote health and fitness in the community and remove a real carbuncle from the face of Thurso.

I would also then like to see the local development plan amended to provide a location for large scale retail/supermarket development. This would not mean that a development would or should take place, it would however simplify the process for any such development if any supermarket wished to do so.

If Tesco should be spurred into action by these suggestions and actually build there new store on the mart site then I would like to see the Council buy the existing Tesco site and redevelop that as a sports/leisure/theatre centre - again it makes a good fit in the local infrastructure being so close to many other existing sports and leisure facilities.

Obviously I am aware of the considerable funds required for this to happen but believe that funding could be put in place for such a development.

Nick Noble
18-Apr-12, 11:38
Perhaps Tesco realise that speaking to the Condems is pointless.

What Tesco have done is decide not to build in Thurso, and not to do anything about tidying up the site. To the best of my knowledge not one of the people currently trying to engage with Tesco for the benefit of the whole of Thurso can get any response from them.

Why you feel the need for petty name calling at every opportunity is quite beyond me.

What would you like to see happen to the site?

Do you think it enhances the environment of Thurso to have such an eyesore?

Nick Noble
18-Apr-12, 11:41
Speak to Mr Clarke

Seen here talking cobblers: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17752389

Believe me I have tried.

Green_not_greed
18-Apr-12, 12:23
My current understanding is that building works have commenced the test for that is very low level, and the demolition of the existing buildings and the removal and breakup of the concrete areas probably is sufficient to pass that test.

If building works have commenced then my understanding is that planning permission cannot be withdrawn. If the works have not commenced then if I remember correctly permission has already lapsed.

What I would like to see is for the council to use its compulsory purchase powers to acquire the site to develop it as a combined sport/leisure/theatre centre. The need for such a facility in Thurso was clearly identified in a report dating back to 2008, the prefered location was identified as close to the high school, the old mart site would seem ideal.

By acquiring the site and developing it in this way the council will create short term construction jobs, long term jobs to staff the centre, promote health and fitness in the community and remove a real carbuncle from the face of Thurso.

I would also then like to see the local development plan amended to provide a location for large scale retail/supermarket development. This would not mean that a development would or should take place, it would however simplify the process for any such development if any supermarket wished to do so.

If Tesco should be spurred into action by these suggestions and actually build there new store on the mart site then I would like to see the Council buy the existing Tesco site and redevelop that as a sports/leisure/theatre centre - again it makes a good fit in the local infrastructure being so close to many other existing sports and leisure facilities.

Obviously I am aware of the considerable funds required for this to happen but believe that funding could be put in place for such a development.

I really like what I'm hearing here.......good thinking Nick.

Phill
18-Apr-12, 12:32
Has anybody pulled the Appointments report at companies house, I know it's only a quid but if someone has already got it....?

What directors of these kind of companies don't like is letters sent to their home address (assuming they haven't listed the company office as their address as some do now).
What really pishes off the board is the scattergun approach, send a letter to everyone of them, at home.

You will get response that way. I know it works.

mi16
18-Apr-12, 14:39
What Tesco have done is decide not to build in Thurso, and not to do anything about tidying up the site. To the best of my knowledge not one of the people currently trying to engage with Tesco for the benefit of the whole of Thurso can get any response from them.

Why you feel the need for petty name calling at every opportunity is quite beyond me.

What would you like to see happen to the site?

Do you think it enhances the environment of Thurso to have such an eyesore?

I dont recall calling anyone names.
I dont think the current arrangement is any worse than the abandoned buildings and derelict house that was on the site for many years previously.
If it no longer makes good business sense for Tesco to build on the site then that is their call.
if you think the funds are available at the moment to construct a combined sport, leisure and theatre facility then fair play, however considering Thurso will be a ghost town in the next 10 to 15 years, I dont think your wishlist is viable for one second.

Nick Noble
18-Apr-12, 18:09
I dont recall calling anyone names.
I dont think the current arrangement is any worse than the abandoned buildings and derelict house that was on the site for many years previously.
If it no longer makes good business sense for Tesco to build on the site then that is their call.
if you think the funds are available at the moment to construct a combined sport, leisure and theatre facility then fair play, however considering Thurso will be a ghost town in the next 10 to 15 years, I dont think your wishlist is viable for one second.

Thanks for the response mi16, I respect you far more for doing so than for just making the cheap comments.

The condems?

That is name calling, I am a Liberal Democrat. I am nothing to do with the conservative party.

As to your other points, I can certainly understand your point of view, I do not agree with any of them, but you are most certainly entitled to air them. It is so much better when you deal with issues rather than just cheap gibes.

Corrie 3
18-Apr-12, 18:55
Thanks for the response mi16, I respect you far more for doing so than for just making the cheap comments.

The condems?

That is name calling, I am a Liberal Democrat. I am nothing to do with the conservative party.

Oh come on Nick...the ConDems is the name given to the Coalition Govt in Westminster, surely you must know that and I dont see it as name calling, rather a name to keep the typing short. Similar to LibDems and you dont have any problems with that shortened version of a name do you?
I, like many others, will have nothing to do with anyone who goes under the banner of Liberals anymore. They have proved time and again that they wont stick to their promises as outlined in their manifesto. But as Nick Clegg said today, he is enjoying his time in Govt and I should think he is. Not counting the extra £'s in his pay packet, being the deputy PM is like winning the lottery when you haven't even bought a ticket.
He has sold his party and his supporters down the river and it's the likes of you who are going to feel the backlash of this.
Nobody could have done more to get Scotland independence than the likes of Clegg and Alexander. They did the SNP a very big favour when they got in bed with the Tories, as I have said previously, you would have done better going Independent rather than rely on Lord Thurso for support. The link is there for all to see..............Noble> Lord Thurso> LibDems> Tories> ConDems> We are not all in this together!!!!!!!!

C3.............:roll::roll:

golach
18-Apr-12, 19:07
..............Noble> Lord Thurso> LibDems> Tories> ConDems> We are not all in this together!!!!!!!!

C3.
And Eck and his cronies are not Tartan Tories??? Aye right!!!! [lol][lol][lol]

Alrock
18-Apr-12, 19:35
And Eck and his cronies are not Tartan Tories??? Aye right!!!! [lol][lol][lol]

They may be Tartan Tories but they may not even win the election when the first Scottish General Election is held, & I presume immediately as I can't see how they would have the mandate to continue in power after Independence without fresh elections. That's the time to get rid of them. For now lets just concentrate on getting away from the English Tories.

Rheghead
19-Apr-12, 09:40

I'm sure I read that you defended Clegg's decision to get into bed with the tories though.

ducati
19-Apr-12, 10:19
They may be Tartan Tories but they may not even win the election when the first Scottish General Election is held, & I presume immediately as I can't see how they would have the mandate to continue in power after Independence without fresh elections. That's the time to get rid of them. For now lets just concentrate on getting away from the English Tories.

I assume that any other party that gets in after the SNP (and in the event that independence is declared) will immediately start moves to re-establish the Union?

mi16
19-Apr-12, 11:14
heres hoping that the union is not broken at all.

Alrock
19-Apr-12, 18:50
I assume that any other party that gets in after the SNP (and in the event that independence is declared) will immediately start moves to re-establish the Union?

If the Scottish people decide by referendum to go down the Independence route then would it not be political suicide to disrespect that decision?
The best option for all parties would be to accept the decision & work with it to make the best Independent Scotland possible.

ducati
19-Apr-12, 22:31
If the Scottish people decide by referendum to go down the Independence route then would it not be political suicide to disrespect that decision?
The best option for all parties would be to accept the decision & work with it to make the best Independent Scotland possible.

Good luck with that.

crayola
20-Apr-12, 21:36
The Groat confirms my claim that Tesco have retrenched. I was told that they are cutting their new build by 40% rather than the 'more than a third' stated by the Groat. I could see this coming three years ago. Unfortunately.......http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Tesco-remains-tight-lipped-over-new-store-plan-19042012.htm

Nick Noble
20-Apr-12, 21:45
and yet they are looking to build a new store in Aviemore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-17783296

Rheghead
20-Apr-12, 21:50
I'm sure I saw on the news that the chief guy down at Tesco was saying that there will be less store building and more emphasis on online shopping.

Corrie 3
20-Apr-12, 22:38
and yet they are looking to build a new store in Aviemore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-17783296
Aviemore is a growing population Nick, have you not seen all the new houses for the white settlers down there?

Unlike Thurso which is a dying town, you cant blame anyone for not wanting to invest in Thurso can you?

Lets face it, online shopping is the only way for us as we cant afford the time and fuel to go to Inverness every week can we?

C3....................:roll::eek:

Phill
20-Apr-12, 23:14
I'm with crayola here, Tesco never had any intention to build another store up here. And unless there is some massive influx of peeps it isn't going to change.
Wick has been underperforming so they ain't gonna spend more money on another store that will only split the under target revenue they already have.

From Jan '10:

I don't think the tills at Wick tesco are ringing as often and as loud as they expected.
Tesco's know that another superstore in Thurso will only detract from Wick's takings without bringing in an awful lot more.

crayola
21-Apr-12, 23:13
I think Tesco's main aim was always to keep Asda out of the area. But they will have plans to build a new store if and when they have to. Their current store in Thurso is small and miserable and they will want to improve on that, plus they can take customers away from their rivals by selling petrol and diesel more cheaply than their rivals can. I support Nick's attempt to call their bluff. Disclaimer: I don't shop at Tesco or Asda. I'm a Waitrose and Sainsbury's girl. ;)

Nick Noble
23-Apr-12, 12:53
Well, perhaps too little too late, but communication has been re-established with Tesco, perhaps they have noticed that virtually every candidate in the forthcoming elections have the issue of the old mart site firmly in their sights. Admittedly it really does not say much, but it is slightly better that the deafening silence that has gone before:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: RE: New Tesco store promised for Thurso, Caithness

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:33:49 +0100

To: Nick Noble <nick@thurso.org.uk>

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your email. I hope to be able to provide an update on our plans soon.

With regard to the state of the site at the moment, we undertook work before Christmas to replace the fencing around the site which had been damaged by the strong winds, but we plan to undertake further works to upgrade the fencing and tidy the site.

Best regards

Gloria

Gloria Coats

Corporate Affairs Manager

Corporate & Legal Affairs | Tesco plc

Hen Broon
23-Apr-12, 13:40
I always thought Asda didnt want that site, they wanted to build at Burnside or not atall ? with the big store in wick and already having a store in Thurso, it won't be a high priority

gillsbay
23-Apr-12, 16:02
Quote "but we plan to undertake further works to upgrade the fencing and tidy the site" unquote

Seems they have no plans to build anything then!

crayola
23-Apr-12, 17:21
Tesco will have detailed designs for their store at the former mart but they can sit on them for years if we let them. They have done already...... :(

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 17:46
Tesco will have detailed designs for their store at the former mart but they can sit on them for years if we let them. They have done already...... :(
Lets just face facts here, unless the English Govt announce a new Nuclear Power Station or something that will bring folk to live here then Thurso is going to die a death, honestly, would you put any of your money into Thurso?
Tesco are hedging their bets and hanging on to the site and wont let anyone else have it at any cost, that doesn't mean they are going to develop it. Maybe they are hanging on to it until after the Independence vote, if we are still stuck with the English Govt they will sell, if we get Independence and jobs come flooding North they might develop. That makes good business sense as the SNP won't want to keep the far North a wilderness as it is now. If we don't get Independence then we are left with a few rich crofters and a steady stream of English Wannabee Crofter Pensioners and we will soon die.
Independence is the only answer for every Nationality in Scotland basically because Westminster does not give a Poo about us!!! It's up to you, is Scotland your home or not?

C3...................:eek::roll:

John Little
23-Apr-12, 17:51
The English do not have a government

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 18:08
The English do not have a government
I beg to differ John!!!! The English have a very fine Govt that looks after the South East of England, it's just a shame they cant see any further than a 50 mile radius!!!

C3..................:eek::roll:;)

John Little
23-Apr-12, 18:20
Well there appears to be a large number of Scots,Welsh and Irish people in it who have a vote. It's the British government C3 however much you may wish otherwise.

ducati
23-Apr-12, 18:25
Lets just face facts here, unless the English Govt announce a new Nuclear Power Station or something that will bring folk to live here then Thurso is going to die a death, honestly, would you put any of your money into Thurso?
Tesco are hedging their bets and hanging on to the site and wont let anyone else have it at any cost, that doesn't mean they are going to develop it. Maybe they are hanging on to it until after the Independence vote, if we are still stuck with the English Govt they will sell, if we get Independence and jobs come flooding North they might develop. That makes good business sense as the SNP won't want to keep the far North a wilderness as it is now. If we don't get Independence then we are left with a few rich crofters and a steady stream of English Wannabee Crofter Pensioners and we will soon die.
Independence is the only answer for every Nationality in Scotland basically because Westminster does not give a Poo about us!!! It's up to you, is Scotland your home or not?

C3...................:eek::roll:

What is stopping the SNP from flooding the north with jobs now?

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 18:41
What is stopping the SNP from flooding the north with jobs now?
Err, the English Govt Duke!!!! If our taxes are heading South how can we get a grip on our future? I would have thought that would have been obvious!
Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!

C3...............;)

ducati
23-Apr-12, 20:49
Err, the English Govt Duke!!!! If our taxes are heading South how can we get a grip on our future? I would have thought that would have been obvious!
Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!

C3...............;)

Wow! I can't wait.

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 21:12
Wow! I can't wait.
And if it's not for you then you can always catch the last bus down South!!!

C3.......................:roll:;);)

golach
23-Apr-12, 22:24
Once we are in control of our own future the whole of Scotland will be utilised and the Far North will have a very important part to play!!C3.

Whoopee Scotland is going to become a one party state, now what country does that bring to mind? ...........Oh aye Zimbawe, and what is their leaders name again? [disgust][disgust]

ducati
24-Apr-12, 07:08
And if it's not for you then you can always catch the last bus down South!!!

C3.......................:roll:;);)

Why would I do that? I am a citizen of the United Kingdom and will always be. Are you suggesting that ethnic cleansing will be the order of the day? That is not your first comment of this nature. Showing your true agenda?

Phill
24-Apr-12, 09:23
Trying to politicise this issue into another independence thread is utterly irrelevant to the issue. Regardless of whatever party or the status of Scotland there is only one thing that is happening here, Tesco have land banked the site to prevent another supermarket from using that site or setting up in the area by way of the planning permission they have been granted by, what in my opinion appears to be, their nobbled mates in the council.

What the concerned peeps of Thirsa need to decided is, do they want a supermarket or the land released for some other cause, or a third option of Tesco develop it for housing or other use.
Bearing in mind that unless there is a major influx of people to the county and Thirsa doubles (at least) its population, you ain't getting another shiny new Tesco's.
I can't see any other development opportunity that would suit Tesco so the only real option is to get them to release it for another use.

But in reality, I doubt anything will happen other than periodic (after public outcry / council pressure) replacement / repair of fencing and every 5 years or so an amendment to the planning application.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with Walmart and see what help they can give you! (but the cooncil will thwart anything they try)

Kenn
24-Apr-12, 09:50
You have hit the nail firmly on the head there Phill, that site will stand empty these many years as Tesco will not develop or sell and I doubt The Highland Council would ever consider compulsary purchase as they have neither the resources or the will, that's if they even know where Thurso is, any thing north of The Kessock Bridge seems to be marker "Here there be dragons," on their maps!

Nick Noble
24-Apr-12, 10:17
You have hit the nail firmly on the head there Phill, that site will stand empty these many years as Tesco will not develop or sell and I doubt The Highland Council would ever consider compulsary purchase as they have neither the resources or the will, that's if they even know where Thurso is, any thing north of The Kessock Bridge seems to be marker "Here there be dragons," on their maps!

If I get elected they will most certainly learn where Thurso is, because a large fierce fire breathing dragon will be amongst them. I cannot understand why they don't know now, we have had councillors down there for years, maybe not making quite enough noise to wake them from their slumbers.

I'm not promising that things will happen instantly, but they will happen. Big organisations, be they councils or corporations are just like horses and cows, they do not like little buzzing flies nipping at there sensitive skins. They will do almost anything to stop the irritation, it's just a question of knowing where to nip...

gleeber
24-Apr-12, 22:17
I'm still a floating voter Nick but I have to say your last post has really caught my attention. You need to get that message out to more people than look at posts on the org and you could be in there.
On a side issue and not too far removed from the Tesco carry on did you read this in the Groat recently? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Banksy-style-work-appears-in-Thurso-19042012.htm"]
If thats the case and Banksy has left his mark would it be prudent of the town to protect the artwork from the elements? If it's not by Banksy then its an excellent fake and still worth protecting. It could become a tourist attraction and when Im at it have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?

Alrock
24-Apr-12, 22:21
.... have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?

Plenty of wavy water there.... What more do they need?

Nick Noble
25-Apr-12, 05:36
I'm still a floating voter Nick but I have to say your last post has really caught my attention. You need to get that message out to more people than look at posts on the org and you could be in there.
On a side issue and not too far removed from the Tesco carry on did you read this in the Groat recently? http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Banksy-style-work-appears-in-Thurso-19042012.htm"]
If thats the case and Banksy has left his mark would it be prudent of the town to protect the artwork from the elements? If it's not by Banksy then its an excellent fake and still worth protecting. It could become a tourist attraction and when Im at it have you got an opinion on the lack of facilities for surfers at Thurso East or even Thurso Beach?

Hi Gleeber - I'm trying very hard to get the message out to everyone, there's a lot of doors in Thurso! Do feel free to share that paragraph with anyone you speak to.

I've certainly seen the piece about the "banksy" artwork, and must say I personally love it. However I really don't believe anyone should interfere with an artists work. Whether it is a genuine banksy or not if the artist wanted to create an artwork to last forever then I am sure they would have created it in such a way that it would do so. It will live forever in the minds of those that see it, and will be captured by many in photographs, but then time and the elements will do with it as they will, as I am sure the artist intended. I am equally sure there will be many that decry it as graffiti and wish to have it painted over as soon as possible, again that will happen when it happens which the artist will be well aware of.

As to facilities for surfers, I would love to see the proposed development at the harbour come to fruition. I believe that the tourism industry in Caithness is woefully under developed and must be looked at as a matter of urgency. Surfing, windsurfing, kayaking are all sports that could bring significant income to the area. If elected I would be very keen to work with any interested groups to try and bring this sort of facility to the town.

gleeber
25-Apr-12, 07:47
I would argue that the artists intentions about the future of the work is no longer his copyright seeing as he used a canvas belonging to the town and with no permission. That being said at least you have an opinion and are not afraid to raise it in the cauldron of the org.

mi16
25-Apr-12, 08:20
what difference is there between this "artists" work and the work of the "artist" who spray painted the all star factory?

Nick Noble
25-Apr-12, 08:25
In one respect absolutely none, both are illegal, unless permission has been obtained.

crayola
26-Apr-12, 12:16
So.... Tesco have finally admitted that they aren't going to build on the mart site in Thurso. They have been land banking to keep Asda out. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Tesco-raises-possibility-of-selling-mart-site-25042012.htm Remember that Roger Saxon is directly responsible for this mess before you cast your local council votes next week.

mi16
26-Apr-12, 21:02
In one respect absolutely none, both are illegal, unless permission has been obtained.

In every respect, both are grafitti

gleeber
27-Apr-12, 08:19
All grafitti is art but not all art is grafitti.
I think Roger saxon may have done Thurso a favour in stopping Asda developing at Pennyland. Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe and one that continually changes with the weather. I'll still not vote for him though because when I questioned him about the Gaelicisation of Caithness he said he didnt care if it was Latinised. I felt like I had been mauled by a sheep but the chap has a sense of humour. :lol:

Alrock
27-Apr-12, 08:36
.... Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe ....

So you're very familiar with the whole of the Universe then?
I personally think the view of the "Great Marsh Of Salgoth" from the hill of "Sagothview" in the city of "Granithle" on the planet "Frell" to be a far superior view.

Eilanboy
27-Apr-12, 12:58
So.... Tesco have finally admitted that they aren't going to build on the mart site in Thurso. They have been land banking to keep Asda out. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Tesco-raises-possibility-of-selling-mart-site-25042012.htm Remember that Roger Saxon is directly responsible for this mess before you cast your local council votes next week.

Well Well Crayola you have a short memory.Wasn,t a certain Cllr Mackay also involved in the Asda decision but you must have voted for him in the last election as he polled the most votes.
Never failsc to amaze me how Graeme Sm,ithy got all the blame when all he did was put his casting vote with the three Thurso members

crayola
27-Apr-12, 20:30
Donnie Mackay voted against Asda but unlike Roger Saxon, Donnie isn't standing in next week's election. I agree that the baldy man (a.k.a. Gregor Fisher) isn't the major culprit in the Asda fiasco. But Roger Saxon was. Roger caused the present Tesco fiasco. There's a wee Sinclair boy from Wick who's standing. Will his mum let him skip school to attend council meetings if he's elected? He could buy his sweeties from Wick Tesco before he gets on the train to the big city for council meetings. Which is more than a Thurso boy can do at the mart. :(

Nick Noble
27-Apr-12, 20:49
Donnie Mackay voted against Asda but unlike Roger Saxon, Donnie isn't standing in next week's election.

Do you know something that Donnie Mackay doesn't?

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Council-Election-Profiles-2012/Donnie-Mackay-independent-26042012.htm

crayola
27-Apr-12, 21:00
Oops. Thanks Nick for putting me right. Donnie's picture isn't on the front page of the Org and I assumed he wasn't standing. Thanks to Eilanboy also. Can I now say that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay are responsible for the Tesco mart mess? :D

crayola
29-Apr-12, 22:41
All grafitti is art but not all art is grafitti.I think Roger saxon may have done Thurso a favour in stopping Asda developing at Pennyland. Thurso deserves all that open space around one of the most scenic views in the whole universe and one that continually changes with the weather. I'll still not vote for him though because when I questioned him about the Gaelicisation of Caithness he said he didnt care if it was Latinised. I felt like I had been mauled by a sheep but the chap has a sense of humour. :lol:I agree with some aspects of your post gleeber. Asda would have been better situated near BT but that wasn't on offer and the degree to which the amenity would have been ruined is usually exaggerated. Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay were at best inept. But in reality they were incompetent. They still are. Asda knew the mart was inappropriate due to its proximity to two schools in addition to the traffic problems and the slope. That's why I was convinced early on that Tesco were land banking. A more interesting question is whether Asda tricked Tesco info buying a site that neither organisation wanted. Was the mart project doomed even before Tesco brought their commercial sledgehammer into play? From what I read from them on the Org I would vote for Nick and for John Rosie. :)

Bill Fernie
29-Apr-12, 23:24
Oops. Thanks Nick for putting me right. Donnie's picture isn't on the front page of the Org and I assumed he wasn't standing. Thanks to Eilanboy also. Can I now say that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay are responsible for the Tesco mart mess? :D

Donnie Mackay has declined the offer of space on caithness.org to put up his election blurb and that is why there is no photo on the front page.

crayola
03-May-12, 09:41
Thanks for the explanation Bill. Don't forget to vote today everyone. And remember that Roger Saxon and Donnie Mackay voted against ASDA in Thurso when they were members of the last Highland Council.

crayola
18-May-12, 23:46
I would like to congratulate councillors Donnie Mackay and Roger Saxon for once again outwitting the Thurso electorate. I look forward to an exquisite shopping experience in Ormlie Road next year.

Mr P Cannop
19-May-12, 19:08
there is not going to a tesco there

dancer
20-May-12, 13:01
I went pass the building site at tain last week which is the start of asda

andrew.bowles30
20-May-12, 13:47
Yes this was just to keep asda out and in my opinion I would love an asda up here maybe then there would be a bit more competition on their pricing

Kodiak
11-Jun-12, 16:39
I drove past the Site in Ormlie Road and I see that all the Piles of Rubble have gone. Does this mean that Tesco are planning to start work or is it just another ploy?

crayola
12-Oct-12, 16:42
My senior Tesco source has run dry. :( Has anything happened on the Mart site since they cleared it in June? Has Roger Saxon started digging foundations with his bare hands? :)

Shaggy
12-Oct-12, 17:19
Apparently Tesco have sold the site back to the original owner. Whether it is true or not, i am unable to verify, but i trust the person i was speaking to

theone
12-Oct-12, 17:37
Apparently Tesco have sold the site back to the original owner. Whether it is true or not, i am unable to verify, but i trust the person i was speaking to

The 'development' company or the Mart owners?

Unless it's happened in the last 3 months, info taken from the land registry says the mart site was last sold 14/5/10 for £3,917,580 (Santon Group developments).

Prior to this, it was sold 9/4/08 for £3,583,750 (Santon Retail Limited).

£1,292,500 25/7/06.

£270,016 25/3/04 (Ua Group PLC).

I wish my house price had increased 1400% since 2004.............. amazing what a bit of supermarket competition can do.

crayola
12-Oct-12, 21:28
If Tesco have really sold the Mart site, does that mean we're back to square one or might some other supermarket or retail outfit be interested? Sainsbury's are still expanding but isn't the Inverness area a bigger target to get your foot in the door?

hopper.65
13-Oct-12, 06:42
Tesco are not interested in the mart site as they have seen how poor the Wick branch performs in relation to it's size so why would they consider doing another which would make Wick even worse, they badly overestimated the size of store for Wick and something half the size would of been more like it, i very much doubt any supermarket is looking to move in on Thurso or Caithness on a whole, the outlook for the county is it's population will start to rapidly decline along with the Dounreay run down, as the jobs vanish people will move on and there is nothing to replace it apart from a couple of local firms bucking the trend of a recession.
If ever there was a town that has no need for a fourth supermarket it has to be Thurso, get over it and use what is here, the 3 that is here are going to struggle as it is when the population of Thurso and Wick drops to about half of what they are now as Dounreay enters it's final years.

crayola
13-Oct-12, 12:24
You underestimate the predatory nature of the large supermarkets at your peril. Tesco are on the back foot and Sainsbury's are on the up. They would happily open a large store anywhere they can take market share from Tesco. Thurso has a larger population than Wick and a reasonably large Sainsbury's or Asda in Thurso could potentially cripple Tesco's share of the market in the county. Thurso's Tesco is small and dingy and it wouldn't stand a chance against a new Sainsbury's that was only half the size of Tesco in Wick.

The population of Thurso might decline with Dounreay's demise but new opportunities in oil and marine energy will most likely prevent a total collapse.

A recent national survey of supermarket satisfaction put Tesco near the bottom. Waitrose were top as one would expect, and Sainsbury's were second if you exclude the online one. Even Asda and Morrison's came out much better than Tesco. The evidence from nationwide customer satisfaction and the novelty of a bright new Sainsbury's in Thurso would be a Tesco killer. And most Sainsbury's stores are much nicer than the vast majority of Tesco stores anyway. :Razz

joxville
13-Oct-12, 12:38
Having had occasion to use both in various places Crayola, I'd agree that Sainsbury's are nicer places than Tesco's.

crayola
13-Oct-12, 19:11
And Waitrose is nicer than all the others. :)

suth13
17-Oct-12, 04:51
And Asda is far superior to the others.

rooby
17-Oct-12, 07:12
Asda is opening in Tain next week. I'm going!

crayola
20-Oct-12, 18:48
And Asda is far superior to the others. Ha ha have you ever been in a Waitrose or Sainsbury's? :D A new Asda is fresh and clean but it's not in the same class.

crayola
04-Nov-12, 01:23
One thing I don't like about Sainsbury's is that their Brand Match vouchers last only two weeks. I left my shopping at the till today because they wouldn't accept a £5 voucher. I gave them the choice of accepting it or getting nothing. They got nothing and some poor employee had to take my shopping back to the shelves. I went to Tesco instead and I made the mistake of buying a couple of rubber rump steaks there. Shoulda gone to Waitrose. :(

Moira
04-Nov-12, 01:36
What a shame. If you were living in Caithness you'd be buying quality meat/fish etc, at local shops.

I feel your pain though. :)

crayola
24-Nov-12, 00:12
There is neither a butcher nor a fishmonger within walking distance of my temporary presence on planet Earth. Happy Black Friday Everyone! Walmart love you all. :)

cra85
24-Nov-12, 00:26
Have seen a bit of action at tesco mart site. There has been people in hi viz jackets measuring the site and taking video recordings and doing more sample digs. Anyone know why? Potential new buyer?