PDA

View Full Version : A bheil Gaidhlig agad?

ClachanHope
17-Jun-09, 18:33
Ciamar a tha sibh?
Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig.

Really I have been teaching myself. I have some tapes to help with pronounciation and some good books from the Speaking our Language course, but would really like to know if I can get lessons in Caithness.

I am definately a beginner and would love to be able to converse with my friend without using English.

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.

crayola
17-Jun-09, 21:56
Please excuse my reply in English but I daren't yet expose my beginners' Gaelic.

I suppose my answer to your first question is 'not really' and to the second 'I'm fine today thanks.'

I'm also trying to learn but I'm not very good.

Gur math a thèid leibh!

sjr014
17-Jun-09, 22:25
Would love 2 have a conversation but sadly i cant! :(

I know 1 phrase which is

Agool Achamosh but im pretty sure thats not how its spelt!

balto
17-Jun-09, 22:42
Ciamar a tha sibh?

Really I have been teaching myself. I have some tapes to help with pronounciation and some good books from the Speaking our Language course, but would really like to know if I can get lessons in Caithness.

I am definately a beginner and would love to be able to converse with my friend without using English.

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.we attend the gaelic mother and toddlers, im sure there is a notice up on the notice board advertising classes for beginners, but would be able to see it unto monday, hope that helps.

ClachanHope
17-Jun-09, 22:44
Oh, thank you Balto, that would be great.

I don't have kids so can't go and check it out myself, but if you could let me know I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

balto
17-Jun-09, 22:50
Oh, thank you Balto, that would be great.

I don't have kids so can't go and check it out myself, but if you could let me know I'd be very grateful.

Thank you
no probs, will let you know on monday.

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 08:54
thieildh magharach eil dhonan is achidachi wackytobaccy mcchheeechhh hocch ne heeechnaha?

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 09:47
Ùill, a’ Choinnich – dé tha seo a ciallachadh?....

thieildh magharach eil dhonan is achidachi wackytobaccy mcchheeechhh hocch ne heeechnaha?

Sin dé tha mi a cluinntinn nuair a tha mi ag èisdeachd air Gallaibh FM, a’ bheil? Agus, cha d’ fhuair sinn an rud a sgriobh thu anns a bheurla, sin carson nach do chuir mi seo anns a bheurla cuideachd! Cuir sin anns a phìob agad 's gabh ceò!

WBG :cool:

S&LHEN
18-Jun-09, 09:50
yes I have and will be happy to teach anyone :)

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 09:59
Ciamar a tha sibh?

I hope someone can help.

Tapadh Leibh.
Hello there ClachanHope! In answer to your questions:

Tha mi gle mhath tapadh leat, ‘s tu fhèin?

‘S math a tha sin gu bheil thu ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig cuideachd!

Have a look at this website, it should help - http://www.cli.org.uk/ They have courses throughout the year and support classes in Caithness. They used to do Gaelic classes at the Community Education Centre which used to be in the North School - I don't know if these still go ahead but that's one for you to research - there are others on the .org that could advise you I am sure.

There are a number of speakers in the county that could help you - both written and spoken. The choir we have has several young folk learning (and attending University now) Gaelic. If you're interested drop me a PM. If you have learned a language before and can understand the concept of how to "create" the language using the rules, the Hugo's Gaelic in 3 months is excellent but don't go by the false hope that you can master the language in that time, it is purely a good tool to learning. Speaking our Language was a great course and is for the person who has never learned a language before, however, it's not great at helping you "create" the language - in other words, to say things that are not necessarily covered as an actual phrase in the course. Other than that it is great help to the beginner. You need to get in tow with someone or a group of folk who are Gaelic speakers. If you are in the county give us a shout! I see S&LHEN has offered help also!

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/ Sabhal Mòr Òstaig is another helpful place for learners and offer summer courses in Skye.

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 11:27

Sin dé tha mi a cluinntinn nuair a tha mi ag èisdeachd air Gallaibh FM, a’ bheil? Agus, cha d’ fhuair sinn an rud a sgriobh thu anns a bheurla, sin carson nach do chuir mi seo anns a bheurla cuideachd! Cuir sin anns a phìob agad 's gabh ceò!

I cant wait to decipher this haha!

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 11:54
Pipe and smoke are included in it Kenneth - to give you a wee hint! :D:D

Each
18-Jun-09, 14:12
Cia mar a tha mi ?

Uill, se deagh latha a bh'ann nuair a leugh mi post anns a ghaidhlig air an Org. Mo Bheannachd leat.

Tha mi dochas gun teid leat a cumail sgriobhadh (agus na bith dragh ort mun magaigh-dha a tighinn as an cuid as ain-eolaiche)

An chomhairle as fhaearr a th'agam, airson luchd toisichaidh na ghaidhlig - na bith dragh ort mun mhearachdan, gramar, no eile - nan cumadh ort ag bruidhinn, tigeadh e, agus ni thu deagh adhartas mu dheireadh thall.

Chan eil mi cinntach nan bhiodh sgrudadh air an post, mar sinn feumaidh mi bhith faiceallach mun faclan a'chleachd mi, mus cuireadh iad mo phost as a bhith. (Mar esaimplar "keep going" anns a Ghaidhlig!)

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 14:24
lol lol im spying Caithness FM too!! :lol:

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 14:34
....agus ni thu deagh adhartas mu dheireadh thall.....

Sin an rud Each, mar a chanas tu! Cha robh mise uamhasach math leis a Ghàidhlig nuair a thoisich mi, gu h-airidh leis a ghràmar!

.....and you (your Gaelic) will come along eventually....
That's the point Each, as you said! I wasn't very good with Gaelic when I started, especially with the grammar!

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 14:35
lol lol im spying Caithness FM too!! :lol:
Kenneth ma boy - you're Gaelic is fairly coming on!

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 14:41
the first bit is a bit tricky! But I have the word Kenneth (i knew that bit already) and I've got "Interpretation" The rest could be a mix of words.

Oh this is exciting!

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 14:46
Here's a helpful website - I normally keep it all to myself ;)

http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php?faclair=sbg&seorsa=Gaidhlig&facal=mionaid&eis_saor=on&tairg=Lorg

Type in the Gaelic word you want translated and hit "lorg" and see what you get!

This one typing in the English word you want translated - but be careful how you use them - Gaelic can be an awkward language to use!

http://www2.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php?faclair=sbg&seorsa=Beurla&facal=gabh&eis_saor=on&tairg=Lorg

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 14:50
From that Kenneth, my interpretation is that you are a spoilt brat?

close???

weeboyagee
18-Jun-09, 14:58
:D:D - Split the sides laughing! Good try though!

Translation of the first bit! "Well, Kenneth - what does this mean?" (mean - interperate to/translate to mean)

Kenneth
18-Jun-09, 15:10
ooh so i was very close eh! haha

il get on with the rest!